Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Rhonne posted:

Teen Gohan is only like 12.

No idea how Namekian age works though, pretty sure Piccolo went from a child to a full grown adult in like a year or 2. Also I'm pretty sure they don't have dicks.

Good point, why is dende so thirsty aside from living on water only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Namtab posted:

Good point, why is dende so thirsty aside from living on water only

Someone has to personify the Thirst aspect in Namekian culture since it's so vital to their existence, and now the Guru is dead.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Thirst elementals

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Namtab posted:

This is probably going to apply mostly to me, but the is the reason the chichi and goku sex jokes got to me is basically because in my role as a learning disability nurse I've had to research the law on mental capacity tests around consent to sex, which in the uk is a simple test wherein the person must know the mechanics of the act, that the act can make you get stds and that vaginal intercourse can get women pregnant. If you don't pass the bits relevant to the sex act then you legally lack the capacity to consent to sex as an adult.

So first of all the show makes a lot of uncomfortable rape jokes which they eventually walk back a bit on by saying that goku is fine with it all, but then they reach the end of the goten episode (which dragged on the subject way too long) and goku explicitly only finds out when chichi gets pregnant that sex makes you pregnant.....yeah.
My little sister is low function autistic and I can totally get that reaction from the capacity angle but feel like the context of a comedy series about a space monkey kind of undermines it.

I do think that TFS goes over the line sometimes but just don't feel like Goku is that line (that the actual SERIES went for it with Super is rather more odd).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can completely understand not liking the jokes (I'm not super fond of them either) but for good or ill I don't think TFS is really deviating very far from Dragonball itself when it comes to sex jokes. This is the franchise with a whole bunch of jokes, especially in the original Dragonball which was chock full of that stuff. It's perfectly fair to say those jokes aren't that funny but you're going up against people who are huge fans of the franchise and at least some of them may actually find those jokes funny. The whole "it's different" thing doesn't really land for me in a franchise where plot points revolve around Bulma flashing an old pervert or whatever.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The second chapter of Dragon Ball is about Goku attempting to find Bulma's testicles

Thats the first storyline in dragon ball.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Like I said earlier though, it's about successful delivery when it comes to differentiating the real thing and abridged. Dragonball had it a good percentage of the time. TFS haven't really.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

The new transformation that Future Trunks got finally has a canon name according to Dragon Ball Heroes. "Super Saiyan Rage" http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Saiyan_Rage

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Someone might have to correct me here, but IIRC most of the sex humor kind of stopped by time the 22nd Tournament started, and was only occasional after that.

It was in the beginning, but it hasn't been omnipresent throughout the entire series.

a cartoon duck posted:

remember when Dragon Ball had a combat stripper?
No I don't remember Ranfan.

I mean uh

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 28, 2016

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

remember when Dragon Ball had a combat stripper?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Burkion posted:

It'd have to be Vegito

Gogeta doesn't actually exist

Gogeta is real, and my friend

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Momomo posted:

I still can't think of him as anything other than General Tao. It was really strange when they just called him Mercenary Tao in Dragonball, but it just didn't stick with me.

When I was younger, I misread General Tso's chicken as General Tao's, and thought General Tao was a pun on that.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Gogeta fought off consensus best villain Super Janemba and as such is really good.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Raxivace posted:

Someone might have to correct me here, but IIRC most of the sex humor kind of stopped by time the 22nd Tournament started, and was only occasional after that.

It was in the beginning, but it hasn't been omnipresent throughout the entire series.
No I don't remember Ranfan.

I mean uh

Yeah, the sex stuff was pretty consistent in early DB especially

like the time bulma discovered treasure and hid a diamond in her panties. not only did krillin make a joke about her having a bit more than normal down there, he also sniffed the diamond to see if it smelled

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Momomo posted:

I still can't think of him as anything other than General Tao. It was really strange when they just called him Mercenary Tao in Dragonball, but it just didn't stick with me.

Yeah, I saw Funimation DBZ first on TV where he's called General Tao, then I saw the Ocean Group (?) dub of DB on TV where he's called Tao Pai-Pai, and most recently I've seen the Funimation dub of DB where's called Mercenary Tao. I'm not sure which one I prefer between them.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Abridged sex jokes annoy me because they criticised one of the entries in their dumb competition for having lots of sex jokes and it's like glass houses, guys.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
reading scanlations with instructions that their scanlation cant be uploaded anywhere without their permission

lol.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, I saw Funimation DBZ first on TV where he's called General Tao, then I saw the Ocean Group (?) dub of DB on TV where he's called Tao Pai-Pai, and most recently I've seen the Funimation dub of DB where's called Mercenary Tao. I'm not sure which one I prefer between them.

Blue Water studios did the DB dub you're thinking of.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Dias posted:

Yeah, I'm here thinking the same thing. Is it because they're gay? I'm asking this frankly, because the worst thing I can see people taking from it is a gay panic joke, but it's more "thirsty teen comes on to oblivious teen".

Gohan is barely 12 at this point in this series. The Dende stuff didn't really bother me on Namek, but in his coming back they took that one joke and hammered it in 1000 times over.

The joke is funny as a light touch; any more than that and it's just awkward.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

Gohan is barely 12 at this point in this series. The Dende stuff didn't really bother me on Namek, but in his coming back they took that one joke and hammered it in 1000 times over.

I think you'll find Gohan is clearly a teen.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I guess that's the difference between toriyama and them is that hammering of jokes

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Dragon Ball is generally not very funny

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

The sex jokes are dumb and bad in DB and it's a product of the 80s, not something to be lauded for

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Aurora posted:

The sex jokes are dumb and bad in DB and it's a product of the 80s, not something to be lauded for

Same but most of the posters in this thread

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Caros posted:

I think you'll find Gohan is clearly a teen.

It says he's Teen Gohan in most videogames. :colbert:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheKingofSprings posted:

Blue Water studios did the DB dub you're thinking of.

I get them confused.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Dragon Ball is generally not very funny

You're right, it's hilarious. :colbert:

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X57Poxohka4

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

-Fish- posted:

The new transformation that Future Trunks got finally has a canon name according to Dragon Ball Heroes. "Super Saiyan Rage" http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Saiyan_Rage

Finally, a real Back Goku

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm now waiting for Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Rage x10 Kaioken.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
When does Broly get Legendary Super Saiyan God Legendary Super Saiyan?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Rhonne posted:

When does Broly get Legendary Super Saiyan God Legendary Super Saiyan?

Give Heroes like 6 months.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Majin Legendary Golden Great Ape Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Rage 4 (Awakened Potential) x 100 Kaikoken Supervillain Broly is my favorite character ever.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Zeno doing the Potara fusion with himself is still the strongest though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

breaking: people who never have sex don't get sex jokes, more at 11

wait does this count as a sex joke? aw poo poo it does doesn't it

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 29, 2016

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
mods please change my name to Blockhouse (Awoken)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

-Fish- posted:

I thought "Super Saiyan Rage" was what we were calling Gohan's version of SS2.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It'd be really neat if they rectonned that to be the case. Gohan awoke SSJ Rage back against Cell, then never again. It'd explain why his SSJ2 was so much stronger than everyone else.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

It'd be really neat if they rectonned that to be the case. Gohan awoke SSJ Rage back against Cell, then never again. It'd explain why his SSJ2 was so much stronger than everyone else.

Oh god, I can see it now.

How did Vegeta beat up Beerus? Super Saiyan Rage.

How was SSJ Goku able to fight on-par with Frieza? His initial form was SSJ Rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

When Gohan gets his redemption in the Multiverse Tournament, he skips Super Saiyan Blue and just goes to his SS4 form from Heroes.

ImpAtom posted:

How did Vegeta beat up Beerus? Super Saiyan Rage.
Super Saiyan Loving Husband.

• Locked thread