Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Len posted:

Welcome to where console gamers have been since what...the 80's? :smug:

Then they went backwards when they decided you had to install games onto the hard drive and charge money for the ability for your console to download and install patches while you're at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kontradaz posted:

Also what PC games have been like since 2000.

*glances at Dishonored 2 thread*
Eeeeeh.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Away all Goats posted:

Then they went backwards when they decided you had to install games onto the hard drive and charge money for the ability for your console to download and install patches while you're at work.

Blu-Ray reading speed: 27MB/s
HDD reading speed: 70-100 MB/s
SSD reading speed: 500+ MB/s

Imagine FF15 running just off the disc, hope you enjoy horrendous loading times.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Kontradaz posted:

Blu-Ray reading speed: 27MB/s
HDD reading speed: 70-100 MB/s
SSD reading speed: 500+ MB/s

Imagine FF15 running just off the disc, hope you enjoy horrendous loading times.

I'm glad we agree that digital delivery is the future.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In Baten Kaitos I've just beaten disc 1 - looking it up disk 2 is actually much longer (by 20 hours) due to disk 1 being largely taken up by cutscenes. That's certainly something, normally they are more even or the later discs are shorter due to being mainly sidequests. Also while I haven't been using him (I just gave all his spells to the other mage as she has much more health than he does) the Great Mizuti is a pretty fun character.

Also something I'm not sure if I mentioned a few months ago, but I played Scooby Doo Night of 1000 Frights, and I love that the bosses get a 70s style vocal track like the chases in the original show. That's cute. Also, looking at them in the gallery plays the theme in the background. :3:

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 05:50 on Dec 27, 2016

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Kontradaz posted:

Also what PC games have been like since 2000.

I remember a time not too long ago that threads would devolve into a couple pages of ini tweaks and driver updates to get games running smoothly on everyone's builds though.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kontradaz posted:

I'm enjoying horrendous loading times on it from the hard drive!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
28MBps vs 80 doesn't matter if your game is uncompressed to the point where it could be 15GB, but really is 70.

DOOM 16 I'm looking at you!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I remember a time not too long ago that threads would devolve into a couple pages of ini tweaks and driver updates to get games running smoothly on everyone's builds though.

Major games are still severely broken on PC release.

But it's less tweaks to get them running than waiting for a patch because it's out of your hands.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It's gotten better than it was 15 years ago. I got MechCommander 2 for christmas when it came out, and I tried it on six different computers with no luck. Turned out the copy protection was insanely hosed up, and you had to download a no-cd patch to get it to run on most any computer.

E: As far as little things go, the collectibles in the Division are loving awesome. It's got that whole Ubisoft "8 million things to find in an open world" thing going on, but each one gives a 1 minute or so story vignette and they're all really well done at showing how people reacted to everything going to poo poo. I never dig up all the collectibles in a game but I'm having a blast doing it in this one.

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 07:08 on Dec 27, 2016

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

For Christmas I bought myself and a friend Earth Defense Force 4.1, and we have not had so much fun in quite a while. Driving around in tanks singing the EDF anthem and having your troops sing the next line back to you is so great.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

TheMostFrench posted:

For Christmas I bought myself and a friend Earth Defense Force 4.1, and we have not had so much fun in quite a while. Driving around in tanks singing the EDF anthem and having your troops sing the next line back to you is so great.

Obligatory links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJdj92N_d2I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKxPSYPota0

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I've been playing a lot of War Thunder because it's a good game and I recently unlocked the only amphibious tank in game. It's kinda weak and paper-thin but the places you can go and catch enemies off guard are plenty. It's like being in the water puts you off the map.

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

Amazing! I knew about the singing but I didn't know you could make them dance! I love this game, it's so stupid and fun. The voice acting is over the top cheesy and some of the quotes are great "progress faster then science is impossible!" I also love the way that a soon as you encounter a new thing it must immediately be given a name and that name is probably dumb.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ktb posted:

Amazing! I knew about the singing but I didn't know you could make them dance! I love this game, it's so stupid and fun. The voice acting is over the top cheesy and some of the quotes are great "progress faster then science is impossible!" I also love the way that a soon as you encounter a new thing it must immediately be given a name and that name is probably dumb.

There is also other songs some may not have heard, their sing conditions I am not quite clear on. The very last one being sung in the ending missions of the campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRmES6IJk_o

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
This might be a bit of a stretch but I just launched Hitman 2016 and saw there was a special holiday themed assissination mission. The briefing is:

The crooks names are Bagnato and Gonif. Gonif I already know is the yiddish word for "thief" which got me curious about Bagnato. Google tells me it means "moist or wet". They're Americans who had to leave the country after a series of "botched break-ins". Your targets for the Christmas mission are the Wet Bandits.

E: I just realised their names are also literally Harry and Marv which were the character names in Home Alone too. Guess it's not that subtle after all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jojoinnit posted:

This might be a bit of a stretch but I just launched Hitman 2016 and saw there was a special holiday themed assissination mission. The briefing is:

The crooks names are Bagnato and Gonif. Gonif I already know is the yiddish word for "thief" which got me curious about Bagnato. Google tells me it means "moist or wet". They're Americans who had to leave the country after a series of "botched break-ins". Your targets for the Christmas mission are the Wet Bandits.

E: I just realised their names are also literally Harry and Marv which were the character names in Home Alone too. Guess it's not that subtle after all.

Goddamn, I really need to get the new Hitman :allears:.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.
Holy poo poo, does that mean those actors are voicing the characters? They got real Gary Cole and Gary Busey for a hit earlier and it was magical.

Hitman 2016 best Hitman. Yes, more than Blood Money.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

jojoinnit posted:

If you delay taking them out for quite some time they will overflow various sinks in the place and when you do take them down inventory spills out of them. There is achievements to steal the things they are after before they get to them.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

jojoinnit posted:

One of the challenges is knocking one of the thieves out three separate times with a thrown brick. Dudes just cannot catch a break from mischievous multiple grievous head injuries in a single night.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Nohman posted:

One of the challenges is knocking one of the thieves out three separate times with a thrown brick. Dudes just cannot catch a break from mischievous multiple grievous head injuries in a single night.

I was wondering why I was getting so many bricks as presents. I figured they were just the coal stand in. Thanks!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just a question: Next month I'm probably going to get Worlds of Final Fantasy - will it spoil FF15's plot or is that the one game it doesn't include?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

BioEnchanted posted:

Just a question: Next month I'm probably going to get Worlds of Final Fantasy - will it spoil FF15's plot or is that the one game it doesn't include?

It has nobody from ff2, 14 or 15.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Nah. WoFF doesn't really spoil ANY plots. Like at best it waves its hand at references, but FFXV is completely absent.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just thought I'd make sure. Thanks. See I play modern games too! :haw:

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
I recently got MGSV the definitive edition after waiting much too long and I've been constantly orgasming ever since.

I did mission 6 last night, the one about the bees, and it must have taken me 2 or 3 hours to finish! I had to traverse the desert and sneak past 3 separate enemy outposts, crawl past a sniper, almost get spotted by an attack chopper only to finally make it to the base. I must have spent at least an hour trying to figure out how to swipe the cassette tape and Folsom the Hamid pow without alerting the guards. And drat they had the place locked down.

I got alerted twice running deep into the base, getting lost, running back out of the base and then realizing that my objective was indeed inside the base I just left.

I took around 50 hits at this point and resorted to lethal force, firefighting with like 20 dudes and suffered some major close calls.

Then when I was sneaking back into the base for the second time, I accidentally fell off a cliff and died.

This game is awesome. :gizz:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Missions are best when you just give up and call in the chopper on em.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
The best stealth tactic in MGSV is to throw a smoke grenade in the back seat of a jeep and then drive it straight into the base. I don't know exactly how it's coded, but as long as you're inside the cloud you can drive right past people and they'll only reach the state where they're alerted in general but not to you specifically.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Haha that's probably because every base has that one rear end clown who likes to screw around and the guys are all "not this poo poo again" until they realize the one driving the jeep isn't him.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Today I learned that you can hatch eggs over night in Pokemon Sun/Moon by leaving them at the hotspring island. Also you can check pokemon's IV's from the PC instead of having to withdraw and show it to some guy.

I got World of Final Fantasy for Christmas, it's like pokemon and final fantasy had a baby, you can change the battle theme to a remix of an old ff battle theme if you unlock the champion from that game. More jrpgs need to have more than one battle theme.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

scarycave posted:

I got World of Final Fantasy for Christmas, it's like pokemon and final fantasy had a baby, you can change the battle theme to a remix of an old ff battle theme if you unlock the champion from that game. More jrpgs need to have more than one battle theme.

That is one of my favorite thing in any game, period. I'm closing in on the end and at this point I think I have over a dozen different battle themes to mess around with, and it's kept things feeling fresh even when I'm stuck in a dungeon that seems goddamn endless (I'm looking at YOU, Big Bridge!)

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The best stealth tactic in MGSV is to throw a smoke grenade in the back seat of a jeep and then drive it straight into the base. I don't know exactly how it's coded, but as long as you're inside the cloud you can drive right past people and they'll only reach the state where they're alerted in general but not to you specifically.

that's badass

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Found the video, just so you can see how amazing it really is.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Found the video, just so you can see how amazing it really is.

this needs the lupin the 3rd theme to play over it

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Action Tortoise posted:

this needs the lupin the 3rd theme to play over it

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/58648dc5dea03-mgsv-lupin-iii-mashup.php

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

scarycave posted:

Today I learned that you can hatch eggs over night in Pokemon Sun/Moon by leaving them at the hotspring island. Also you can check pokemon's IV's from the PC instead of having to withdraw and show it to some guy.

WOFF looks fun as hell but I've literally not seen a single copy on this island. Surely we have it, every store has a spot for it. But I've just not seen them at all. I doubt it'll come to PC, too.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

If you want the technical breakdown it is that the animation for the cloud billowing out is just that, an animation, soon as the smoke grenade detonates, that snapping noise, there is an invisible object placed into the world that dictates the size of the cloud and what is in it and what isn't. Under normal situations the clouds animation will eventually spill out to match the programmed size of the grenade coverage.

In the case of being in the jeep the grenade is not moving (Physically stuck in jeep the effect is placed there.) but the animation obviously cannot complete because the grenade is moving. (the location of the cloud is moving to follow the jeep, same effect as if you roll one down a cliff side, the cloud will not form because it is moving, but the cloud effect would still be working). Enemies will never alert unless you physically shoot or bump them in smoke grenade clouds. (Alert being freak the gently caress out mode) but they go into caution mode even if snake was not in the cloud if they see the cloud.

Also if you want one of the most broken weapons in the game get the decoys that inflate, they absolutely ruin the enemy AI. Throwing them you can deploy them to spring up and knock a unit out, and the others around him will be interested in balloon before the unconscious dude, and the inflation attack also works on the most heavily armored schmucks, so if you roll a bandanna for infinite ammo you can stealth knock out entire enemy encampments without fuss even if they all have the riot armor protections.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Thank you.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
There are missions in Just Cause 3 where you have to drive a bombed vehicle into an enemy base and bail out before it explodes.

The resulting explosion is always so big it takes up the entire screen and the game switches to slow motion as you walk away and lightning strikes the explosion. It's super stupid and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
World of Final Fantasy has a coliseum run by a Tonberry with Urdnot Wrex's voice and it is a disconcertingly perfect fit.