Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Kitchen layout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Gounads posted:

Kitchen layout

Pretty good work triangle. I wonder if the stove and sink might be too close together for someone to work at each at the same time, though.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Personally, I get irrationality frustrated at anyone else existing in the kitchen while I'm working.

What are your long-term expectations for that little corner in the upper left with the windows?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I would delete those windows and turn entire area into a huge pantry closet. Looks like an afterthought right now.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Have you considered making the eat in bar in the kitchen a two tier bar, kinda like this?

https://st.hzcdn.com/fimgs/74211efd027bcc8a_8682-w500-h400-b0-p0--craftsman-kitchen.jpg

Might help add a bit of functional separation between kitchen and living space, while still keeping it open and useful.

What are your plans for the bay window? We've got one in our house and best as I can figure is to build in a bench around it for a table, but that's a really difficult space to furnish in any useful fashion... I don't know how those things became so ubiquitous considering how impractical they are otherwise.

E: oh, your should put a flower box shelf under the kitchen window, so you can keep a few house pants under the window by the sink. It's just a nice touch.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Gounads posted:

Kitchen layout

Looks real good! You are not helping my weekend of "we need a bigger house". I'll field these questions for you:

Nitrox posted:

I would delete those windows and turn entire area into a huge pantry closet. Looks like an afterthought right now.

Those are doorways. The one across from the pantry is to go to the basement, the one to the left is to go into the dining area(?).

OSU_Matthew posted:

What are your plans for the bay window? We've got one in our house and best as I can figure is to build in a bench around it for a table, but that's a really difficult space to furnish in any useful fashion... I don't know how those things became so ubiquitous considering how impractical they are otherwise.

The bay window is actually doors to go out to a deck, I believe.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
loving bank is still giving me the runaround. Asked for more documents today. I'm not filled with confidence there. Had to write out a $40k check to the builder today since they're taking so long.

Visited the worksite today, forgot to snap some pics. The front narrow sections of the garage are on now. Turns out they had to be steel. /shrug

Second floor floor-joists are all in.

Builder showed me one oddity I didn't realize from the plans. The stairs to the room over the garage will cut into the garage space a bit. Bit of a bummer, but shouldn't take up too much room.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Guess who's loan still isn't finalized? New target day is the 30th. wtf.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Whatheck dude :( Sounds like their button-pusher is taking an extended vacation.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Framing is happening at a pretty good clip. They worked the week before Christmas and Today to get everything ready for the crane to show up tomorrow and hoist up the roof trusses. I treated the crew to BBQ before Christmas, and after a morning of working in the cold, a lot of food can be consumed by five guys.

This installment of the video is more fun to watch than the previous.

https://vimeo.com/197140021

peanut posted:

Whatheck dude :( Sounds like their button-pusher is taking an extended vacation.

It seems like everyone takes December off there. Speaking of which, just gave the builder my "do not spend" money. He can pay his bills and is good for a few more weeks now. He's been great about being understanding, I imagine some sort of this crap happens all the time.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

What kind of slacker tradies start at 9:30am? Down here if your not on site at 6:30 waiting for the legally mandated earliest start time of 7am your going to get your arse kicked by a building supervisor.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Got final underwriter approval at 8:30. Needed to get a document signed by me, my wife, and the builder by 10:00 to close on Friday. Thanks for that ample amount of time banker dude.

Not like today is the busiest day at the site or anything as they burn through $200/hour of crane time.

Oh, hey Bob, could you come down from there to sign this, I'm sure it won't fall.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Took my boy to watch the crane for a bit. They got most of the trusses up in just a couple hours.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gounads posted:

Got final underwriter approval at 8:30. Needed to get a document signed by me, my wife, and the builder by 10:00 to close on Friday. Thanks for that ample amount of time banker dude.

Hey guys so I know this is literally my day job but there is no way I could have foreseen this standard document I need everyone to sign. If you could magic it up for me in the next 8 minutes so I'm not late to lunch that would be great. Otherwise no one knows how loans work and it could literally never originate.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

H110Hawk posted:

Hey guys so I know this is literally my day job but there is no way I could have foreseen this standard document I need everyone to sign. If you could magic it up for me in the next 8 minutes so I'm not late to lunch that would be great. Otherwise no one knows how loans work and it could literally never originate.

The actual document was the disbursement schedule, the thing that says how much they'll pay at each stage of completion. I had asked various people at least 4 times if the schedule we came up with was ok or not, never got an answer. I guess it wasn't since they took a steaming poo poo all over it. I've put enough in to buffer it out to make it work, but if anyone was trying to build and didn't have some extra cash on hand, I don't know what they'd do. Probably a lot of yelling with the builder.

Anyways, within the next 3 weeks I should have $120k from the bank spread across 2 payments. That makes all the math work out and anxiety can swapped out for things like picking tile.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gounads posted:

The actual document was the disbursement schedule, the thing that says how much they'll pay at each stage of completion. I had asked various people at least 4 times if the schedule we came up with was ok or not, never got an answer. I guess it wasn't since they took a steaming poo poo all over it. I've put enough in to buffer it out to make it work, but if anyone was trying to build and didn't have some extra cash on hand, I don't know what they'd do. Probably a lot of yelling with the builder.

Anyways, within the next 3 weeks I should have $120k from the bank spread across 2 payments. That makes all the math work out and anxiety can swapped out for things like picking tile.

Good luck on picking cool tile of which there is sufficient matching lot # stock.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

H110Hawk posted:

Good luck on picking cool tile of which there is sufficient matching lot # stock.

That's what special orders are for!

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Roof decking over the second floor of the house, going on the garage now.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Gounads posted:

The house is coming along great. I can't tell / recall, are you doing 2x4 or 2x6 construction for the exterior walls?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
2x6

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gounads posted:

Look at that house, all lookin like a house.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

:vince:

I didn't even know that was a thing... This house is a stark counterpoint to all the mcmansions of the world.

Congrats on getting the loan finalized! I can't imagine what a relief that's gotta be.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

OSU_Matthew posted:

I didn't even know that was a thing... This house is a stark counterpoint to all the mcmansions of the world.
It's great -- you get a deeper wall cavity, and you don't need to use as many studs (which act as bridges to conduct heat out of the house), so you get much better insulation with fewer materials.

I've also read about using 2x8 sole/top plates, with staggered 2x4 studs so that no stud bridges the entire width of the plate, but that seems like it's a lot of effort.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Congrats on getting the loan finalized! I can't imagine what a relief that's gotta be.

Our code here in Wisconsin specifies R20/21 for walls, which can only happen in a 2x6 frame (at least with conventional batts), so even our McMansions are built this way.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I've never seen a 2x4 walls outside of mobile homes and sheds. Most trailers I've ripped apart were actually 2x3.

I'm mildly bothered by plywood placement. We always stagger our seams and overlap door/window openings, pretty much what your builders started doing on 2nd floor and above. The pictures from the back show less attention to that detail. It's not an ironclad requirement, but it makes the framed structure just a tad more rigid.

Please pay for spray in insulation, don't use battery. It'll cost you several grand more, but will be worth it in the long run. An inch of spray gives you R value of ~13, depending on the compound. You can have R40 in exterior walls and still have room for wiring and such.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 29, 2016

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Closed on the loan today. Number of signatures for a construction loan is much higher than a regular mortgage. The not-being-able-to-pay nightmares should stop now.

Stopped by the house on the way home, they got almost all the roof decking on before last night's snow storm. The driveway is currently treacherous with ice.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gounads posted:

Closed on the loan today. Number of signatures for a construction loan is much higher than a regular mortgage. The not-being-able-to-pay nightmares should stop now.

Stopped by the house on the way home, they got almost all the roof decking on before last night's snow storm. The driveway is currently treacherous with ice.

:toot:

Does that mean the construction loan pays you back for some of the costs you have fronted to date to replenish you emergency fund?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Dang, I can't believe the hassle and number of hoops you keep having to jump through to get this house done. I wouldn't be surprised if you came out of this experience with grey hair.

What's the plan for roofing? Can you get away with a fifty year metal roof, or does that not fit the aesthetic of the neighborhood?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

H110Hawk posted:

Does that mean the construction loan pays you back for some of the costs you have fronted to date to replenish you emergency fund?

Yes, I'll shave a little off each disbursement until I'm where I should be at the end of the project.

OSU_Matthew posted:

What's the plan for roofing? Can you get away with a fifty year metal roof, or does that not fit the aesthetic of the neighborhood?

50yr asphalt shingles. Don't get many metal roofs around here.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Gounads posted:

Central Massachusetts. Please don't doxx me.

:hf:

Southbridge here, slowly building a house among the ruins of another.

Wish my lot was as big as yours!

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Just bought appliances. Stove, refrigerator, dishwasher all LG in their black stainless finish. Samsung washer/dryer. And most importantly, an XBox one.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Gounads posted:

Samsung washer/dryer.

I predict you'll soon grow to hate the happy little song they play when they're done washing/drying.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Safety Dance posted:

I predict you'll soon grow to hate the happy little song they play when they're done washing/drying.

My dad gets that song stuck in his head and then putters around my parents' house, unconsciously humming/whistling it over and over again.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Safety Dance posted:

It can't be worse than the awful buzzer mine has that goes on for 5-10 seconds and wakes up the neighbors. I really need to get in there and disconnect it.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

I love the little jingle mine makes, its just so dang pleasant :3:

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
My LG Washer and Dryer both play the same pleasant little song. The washer though when it's playing it, right in the middle does a double unlock of the door, and it sounds like clapping. So of course I clap along each time.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

MrEnigma posted:

My LG Washer and Dryer both play the same pleasant little song. The washer though when it's playing it, right in the middle does a double unlock of the door, and it sounds like clapping. So of course I clap along each time.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My dad gets that song stuck in his head and then putters around my parents' house, unconsciously humming/whistling it over and over again.

These two anecdotes are adorable. I take back the mean things I said about washing machine songs.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

My wife and I hum our LGs too. I'm just waiting for my 2 year old to start doing it, he can really carry a tune already. :v:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Fourthing the love of washer/dryer music. I miss the LG orchestra at my previous house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
It's not just washers that hum a little tune--in Tapei they have musical garbage trucks

/derail

• Locked thread