Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's what you get... when you mess with the Big Dog!

is this a chewbacca joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Anyone have the post from when the UFC/boxing forum got merged with the Pro Wrestling forum that was just a UFC fan talking tons of poo poo on pro wrestling? It contains the phrase "dumbest, gayest form of theatre" . It was really funny and I can't find it in this thread. One of the replies was good too.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Machai posted:

is this a chewbacca joke?
Canis Majoris

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Not to be confused with his mother, Anus Majoris :pervert:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Not to be confused with his mother, Anus Majoris :pervert:

I've seen better. :colbert:

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd say it's fake, but I've seen too many ancient cum spattered objects in my day. I think I need a little break.

Trig Discipline posted:

Oh yeah, wish your mom a merry christmas for me.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That was one of the hands down best mom jokes I've ever seen on these forums.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Prepare Debbie Reynolds memes.

Popelmon posted:

I guess she didn't want to Carrie on.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I'm sure I've asked for this one before, but I can't find it: does anyone have the quote about the jock and the non-jock in the retirement home? The non-jock travels the world, romances beautiful women, learns to play grandmaster chess; the jock lifts steadily more weight... something about 'musk' and needles underfoot.

Horror_Business
Jan 6, 2007

I'll put a knife right in you.

PleasingFungus posted:

I'm sure I've asked for this one before, but I can't find it: does anyone have the quote about the jock and the non-jock in the retirement home? The non-jock travels the world, romances beautiful women, learns to play grandmaster chess; the jock lifts steadily more weight... something about 'musk' and needles underfoot.

This? I lost the source...

quote:

Gym it up dude. Reach the pinnacle of ancient Greek physical perfection while having your nostrils invaded by garlicky male testosterone musk. Immerse yourself amongst the dudes and bros sweating and grunting, trudging heavy things around in time with the sounds of Hoobastank and Scott Stapp. Admire the Rorschach patterns of ball-sweat on the weight bench you're about to wipe down and use and be sure to wear appropriate protective footwear in the men's locker room to keep the fungus, AIDS, and used steroid needles at bay.

As others learn a trade, analyze chapters of Ulysses, make friends, travel, and have adventures, you'll be slightly improving your ability to lift things. One week it will be 185 and the next week it will be 190. With luck you'll be at 230 by the end of the year.

One day you will sit in a recliner in the Bristol Palin Home for the Uselessly Old in Rubtsovsk, Siberia, next to another man who will tell tales of his time as a minor but notable grafitti artist in Prague, his passionate relationship with an Italian socialite that ended in a swordfight, and his later years as a writing consultant to a TV crime drama series that centered around an Aspergian super-sleuth. And you will think to yourself, I can lift that man.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Horror_Business posted:

That post needs to be written on a fedora in needlepoint and then immediately burned.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Horror_Business posted:

lol, nerds get so mad about people who care about their physical fitness

Horror_Business
Jan 6, 2007

I'll put a knife right in you.
If I remember correctly, it was someone in E/N making fun of everyone always suggesting working out when the OP had depression. I love lifting weights and found it to be hilarious.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Horror_Business posted:

If I remember correctly, it was someone in E/N making fun of everyone always suggesting working out when the OP had depression. I love lifting weights and found it to be hilarious.

I listen to Ulysses on tape while I lift. :shrug:

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Dreddout posted:

"Weekly Cracker Barrel Dinner for One" is up there with "Baby shoes never worn"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I lift in order to die outside of retirement homes and hospitals, but agreed the post has some poetry to it.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
It's exaggerated for effect, not some weird fedora-lite earnest criticism of exercise and praise of the benefits of the non-gym life. If that's not immediately apparent from the first paragraph, it should when it talks about analysing chapters of Ulysses and every line from that point on. Adjust your Poe's Law radars.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Doc Hawkins posted:

I lift in order to die outside of retirement homes and hospitals, but agreed the post has some poetry to it.

Jim Fixx jogged for much the same reason.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I get laid more when I lift more. The key is to not skip doing anything with other people for working out.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Doc Hawkins posted:

...I'd love to know how you think lifting will keep you out of a retirement home

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Because they would be fit and healthy enough to care for themselves in old age.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Until the dementia sets in :smith:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Because they would be fit and healthy enough to care for themselves in old age.

If only exercise decades in advance was any help, or indeed didn't probably hinder your ability to keep fit in your old age. Or that the reasons most people become decrepit and infirm is not because they refuse to exercise or go to the gym, but rather a plethora of degenerative and vaguely crippling illnesses of which many have no relation to whether or not they are healthy and active, in combination with your body falling to pieces under its own steam.

You can watch marathon runners and people who kept fit and active into their 60s and 70s confined to a wheelchair for the rest of their lives in a matter of months, and likewise see people who've never run further than to catch a bus be pretty spry into their 90s.

I wouldn't delude yourself into thinking your healthy and active habits in your 20s/30s and beyond will have more than a slight influence on your old age. Better to put all your money into laser powered exoskeletons for the elderly, honestly.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

"Exercise does nothing for you and here are some notions I have"
-Signed, A Idiot

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

"Exercise does nothing for you and here are some notions I have"
-Signed, A Idiot

Don't s-

No, I can't, it's too obvious.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

While I agree with some of that, mostly that disease can gently caress you up in old age even if you're active and healthy, how would being in good shape while you're younger hinder you in your advanced years?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I've never seen a super buff old person in a retirement home so I think it's true

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Jim Fixx died of a heart attack at 52 lol

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

While I agree with some of that, mostly that disease can gently caress you up in old age even if you're active and healthy, how would being in good shape while you're younger hinder you in your advanced years?

Moderate exercise is pretty much objectively good for you, but high levels of exercise is highly correlated with heart problems and joint problems and all sorts of other things you could just put down to "wear and tear". Athletes don't live longer than the general population, or end up significantly healthier in their old age (talking past 75 or so). In fact, often the opposite.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Imagine a swole dementia patient, wandering away from the nursing home, lifting things at random as he goes.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The real tragedy is that he can't remember when leg day is.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

all dementia patients will be very swole, and communicate almost entirely in memes they shared on the internet in their teens and twenties, much like how current ones constantly sing the greatest hits on the wireless from the 30s

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Jeza posted:

all dementia patients will be very swole, and communicate almost entirely in memes they shared on the internet in their teens and twenties, much like how current ones constantly sing the greatest hits on the wireless from the 30s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7kz4uMXFlE

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Cindy Shitbird posted:

Imagine a swole dementia patient, wandering away from the nursing home, lifting things at random as he goes.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

The real tragedy is that he can't remember when leg day is.

The funny quotes are coming from INSIDE THE THREAD!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
When people say they want to die outside of a retirement home, I assume they expect to die in battle, or on adventure, or in the case of OP, lifting. :shrug:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FOR poo poo'S SAKE, SOMEONE TELL ME HOW EXERCISE TO BE

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

FactsAreUseless posted:

More than that, but not too much.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

FactsAreUseless posted:

ONCE A WEEK CARDIO, TWICE A WEEK STRENGTH, BROTHER

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Do the exact opposite of exercising not to be.

Which is which, that is the question.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

TrixRabbi posted:

David was a blackstar who went through changes
But he didn't tell a soul he had terminal cancer
Prince was popping fentanyl, he thought couldn't go
Then he OD'd in an elevator
Leonard went quietly, 82 years old
He knew it was his time when he died
He was a friend of mine

Those are people who died, died
We were all their fans, and they died

Muhammad and Gene saw their health go rotten
So they died of brain problems at home in their mansions
Fidel in Havana went peacefully in bed
Scalia stopped breathing with a pillow on his head
They were two more people who lied
I can't really say I'm sad that they died

Anton had a car they said it was a trap
The company had it recalled but he didn't act fast
He said, hey, I know it's dangerous,
But I'll fix it soon
But the next day he got crushed
By the car before noon

Glenn took his last trip around the moon
Merle is finally sleeping for good in his tomb
Carrie had a heart attack on a plane to L.A.
We thought she was safe but she still passed away
And Carrie, I miss you more than all the others
I hope you Rest In Peace with your mother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Someone spent a lot of time on that and still hosed up the rhythm on almost every other line.

Edit: Wait. Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong song.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 17:35 on Dec 29, 2016