Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Jimmy got sold in South Dakota :(

Dude I have to drop about $1800 on my jaw next week but if you think a few days would get the truck done I will scrimp some cash to help with a hotel room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Lets wait and see where we are at Friday morning before yet another fund raiser. I'm starting to feel uncomfortable with the constant influxes of donations without a running truck to show for it. Let's see what I achieve over the next two days.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fermented Tinal posted:

Is danno okay with Dave continuing work like this?

IIRC Danno got married, and moves out of town before New Years. Probably safe to assume he'd scheduled utility disconnects for the property, so staying there likely isn't an option unless there's some way to keep heat and water on. And this is assuming someone isn't waiting to move in.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 28, 2016

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Man, it's just SO CLOSE. We want to see the explosive climax (hopefully not literally), and are willing to pay a bit for that. You don't even need to ask - we're offering!
Look at it this way - a lot of us would spend that money on video games or some other non-productive venture. This actually accomplishes something, or at the very least attempts to. We're doing things vicariously that we're not in a position to do ourselves right now, for whatever reason. It's Goon-sourcing. Let it work for the greater good. You may not have a running truck, but you've done a lot more than some thought possible. Finish it. Drive that wondrous beast to its new home! poo poo, you beat the odds just getting there...
(I'm feeling a little deja vu, here. Did I say something like this way back when Sims did the GoFundMe?)

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Bottom line if I'm not reasonably confident by friday another couple days in a motel will finish the job I want to go home. I miss my cat. I missed seeing my family at thanksgiving and my birthday and Christmas. I appreciate everything, and I want to see it through. But with the constant weather swings from miserable to downright dangerous and coupled with having to have a way to get to town and back on my own without Dan's more than gracious hosting, we will have to decide what to do then. I can't afford to winter in a motel even goon funded. Wait and see what friday brings is all I'm saying.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Bottom line if I'm not reasonably confident by friday another couple days in a motel will finish the job I want to go home. I miss my cat. I missed seeing my family at thanksgiving and my birthday and Christmas. I appreciate everything, and I want to see it through. But with the constant weather swings from miserable to downright dangerous and coupled with having to have a way to get to town and back on my own without Dan's more than gracious hosting, we will have to decide what to do then. I can't afford to winter in a motel even goon funded. Wait and see what friday brings is all I'm saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwv61Uu1fdA&hd=1

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
gently caress I feel like you are so close, however we all know little piddly mechanical crap can come about anywhere especially once the beast begins to move. Heck, begins to move under its own power since perhaps before the Reagan Administration.

Dave, you have endured some serious poo poo spanning the physical, mental, and spiritual. We are all on board with your decision making one way or the other. However, I bet we can put this over the top especially so close to the finish line. You're an amazing individual and we all thank you. As was pointed out, we would all be wasting money on video games and mid-price chardonnay if not this.

Is this worth venturing beyond AI and initiating a call to arms across the forums? Is that a thing that happens anymore?

Keep motivated and set a series of attainable goals over the next few days to maintain sanity, schedule, and morale. Keep us posted on progress and what else you need.

For now here are some motivational songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUUKq0zNNlM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgx9ZlkXyOI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A52--FKUQgU

Godspeed!!!!!

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Would an extra set of hands help?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > Is Anyone Near Valentine, NE?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Also IOwnCalculus tell us which shitlicker rated this thread 1 so we can gently caress him or her up

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If it really comes down to it, I bet you can rig a throttle cable using electrical wire, some quality boyscout knots, and using random things as pivots/pulleys to get it running. Which direction is the throttle cable pull in on the throttle body? I haven't looked at the L05 I walk by every day in far too long, because it just keeps running and running and running.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kastein posted:

If it really comes down to it, I bet you can rig a throttle cable using electrical wire, some quality boyscout knots, and using random things as pivots/pulleys to get it running. Which direction is the throttle cable pull in on the throttle body? I haven't looked at the L05 I walk by every day in far too long, because it just keeps running and running and running.

Absolutely this. A buddy of mine and I took an old corolla cross-country a long time ago. Going across the plains states was terrible and we wanted cruise control. So, I took some speaker wire that we had and tied it to the accelerator, used part of the dash as a pulley and tied the other end to the parking brake (that was non-functional.) The more you pulled the parking brake, the faster the car went. Worked fine. Something similar must be possible using non-pulley items as pulleys. We're not looking for a long-term fix here.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
It's like you're looking for new ways to kill Dave that the truck doesn't already promise to provide.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Adiabatic posted:

Also IOwnCalculus tell us which shitlicker rated this thread 1 so we can gently caress him or her up

Get that fucker off the forums.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

It did look a little dire last night talking to Dave but I'm hoping he's doing The Good Work today and I'm going to help him tomorrow while I'm off and trying to pull in some friend help as well. I told Dave last night that this is a crucible moment and us coming out of this will make him purer. Unfortunately I really can't stay after Friday. I wasn't married, I didn't even have a girlfriend when I first offered my place to Sims but now that I am she really wants me to be living with her and I've waited far too long already.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Tell her to come help turn wrenches :colbert:

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Slung Blade posted:

Tell her to come help turn wrenches :colbert:

You tell her that. I try to not mention the truck or my "roommate" to my wife if I can help it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
She didn't care much for the Facebook implication I "waffle stomp" poops down the shower drain to save time in the mornings :haw:

THIS BODY HOLDING ME REMINDS ME OF MY OWN MORTALITY

EMBRACE THIS MOMENT, REMEMBER

WE ARE ETERNAL ALL THIS PAIN IS AN ILLUSION

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

djdanno13 posted:

You tell her that. I try to not mention the truck or my "roommate" to my wife if I can help it.

:sever:

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
I just wanted y'all to know I was linked to this thread through the PYF Badass Thread and have been catching up all day expecting the story complete. Now I sit here and hope that you are able to get that thing road worthy by tomorrow, but if not do what you have to do sir and Godspeed. :patriot:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So what exactly is the truck's current status? Is the throttle cable the very last mechanical thing that needs done on it and the rest is paperwork?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Enourmo posted:

So what exactly is the truck's current status? Is the throttle cable the very last mechanical thing that needs done on it and the rest is paperwork?

Pfffft no

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Enourmo posted:

Finish rear brakes, bleed system, hook up radiator, hook up or maybe bypass heater core, check ps pump after running, button up front sheet metal, replace headlights, fill all fluids, finish return fuel line, throttle pedal, whatever breaks after we actually start moving.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Gut check time.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm tired. I'm tired of this wind. Of dodging weather. Of working in pain because I keep eating poo poo out in the field because the path and work area have turned into solid ice and it warming up just enough to slick the surface of it with melt water but not thaw. I'm tired of losing tools in the snow. Of parts I thought were done having to be redone when they turn out to conflict with some stage of the reassembly process. I'm tired of old parts breaking, yesterday it was a brake hard line that collapsed in my hand. I'm tired of walking. I'm tired of crying to myself because it doesn't matter if goons say I did a good job I didn't finish what I said I would. I'm tired of working in the snow, in the cold, I'm tired of feeling like a failure despite what anyone else might say.

Hell, I'm crying right now.

Keep going.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Don't forget you've got the engine in and running, the driveline's done except for the brakes and fluid, you retubed and retired 4 split rims that most people wouldn't gently caress with even if they weren't rusty and old, and you've been nothing short of wholly dedicated to this.

Throw tarp over truck, go home. Figure out if/when you and sims can come back and finish once winter is over. There's no point prolonging the punishment when this project is so near completion it can easily await warmer temperatures without fear of it being a failure. I imagine after all of this, sims isn't going to call it quits here.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:siren: BREAKING NEWS THE WHITE CORSICA IN THE FIEKD WITH THE 3.1 HAS A PULL STYLE BOLT ON BRACKET GAS PEDAL AND A THROTTLE CABLE END IDENTICAL TO THE L05 :siren:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Is the property going to be sold? That could present an issue.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
:suspense:

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

14 BAR RIFF posted:

:siren: BREAKING NEWS THE WHITE CORSICA IN THE FIEKD WITH THE 3.1 HAS A PULL STYLE BOLT ON BRACKET GAS PEDAL AND A THROTTLE CABLE END IDENTICAL TO THE L05 :siren:

It's a Christmas Miracle.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

I knew I kept all this lovely junk around for a reason!

Also it's an Olds w body, not a corsica :colbert:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Random GM parts-binning to the rescue?

"We accidentally bought 1 trillion of these throttle cables..."

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
a tiny glimmer of hope!

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

14 BAR RIFF posted:

:f5:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm pretty sure just about every GM throttle cable linkage ever is compatible with each other. People use whatever stock cable pedal their car came with all the time in LS swaps and just run either a different cable, or a custom cable.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
https://youtu.be/SKGhJk0NXRE

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

14 BAR RIFF posted:

do it and post about it and I will click the 5 thing down there

this has been the best thread of '16 no matter what happens from here on

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Crowbar when Dan's not looking

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

angryrobots posted:

Crowbar when Dan's not looking

No crowbar I'm a professional

Adbot