Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

To be fair, I hate and distrust ball joints that don't have zerks.
Part of me says a few metal shavings aren't going to make them worse (much.)
Another part recoils in horror.

I've installed zerks on all my balljoints and tie rod ends on my old Audis to make them last longer. I usually keep a magnet on the metal while I drill to catch any debris. Usually comes out pretty clean. I even took a broken one apart and tested for metal shavings from drilling and really didn't find much of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CommieGIR posted:

I've installed zerks on all my balljoints and tie rod ends on my old Audis to make them last longer. I usually keep a magnet on the metal while I drill to catch any debris. Usually comes out pretty clean. I even took a broken one apart and tested for metal shavings from drilling and really didn't find much of anything.

That's what I was thinking. A little grease on the drill and tap, and a strong magnet should work well enough.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
By the time a ball joint is making that sound, it's been run dry for a bit. Metal shavings aren't going to hurt much more than that.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Don't mix new Fords and car washes, apparently. http://www.hotrod.com/articles/drive-carwash-causes-6000-damage-new-ford-f-150/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why are antenna masts (retractable or not) still a thing?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Cojawfee posted:

Why are antenna masts (retractable or not) still a thing?

Or at least why is that antenna not unscrewed?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Standard equipment should be no CD no radio, just usb and bluetooth audio from a smartphone.

If you want all that old dumb poo poo you should have to pay extra to install it. :colbert:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I didn't know our escape even had a CD player for the first year.

I have a 200 CD changer at the house that's mostly loaded, but I can't remember the last time I used it. I'll throw an LP on before I think about a CD.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Thats more horrible owner failure... What kind of idiot drives straight past the sign that says lower or remove antennas?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

xzzy posted:

Standard equipment should be no CD no radio, just usb and bluetooth audio from a smartphone.

If you want all that old dumb poo poo you should have to pay extra to install it. :colbert:

Most people still listen to the radio, but yeah this is what I want to put into my own car. But I haven't figured out a solution that isn't just a cheap regular car stereo with an aux input.

Actually what would be nice is a phone dock in place of the dash, so the phone charges and I have a display screen to play music and also a mic for hands free stuff. But no actual standalone radio/headunit/music player thing.

jamal fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 29, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
"media player" stereos are a thing. No CD, just BT, USB, and radio. They're also very shallow, so you can install them in vintage cars.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

"media player" stereos are a thing. No CD, just BT, USB, and radio. They're also very shallow, so you can install them in vintage cars.

Yeah you can get previous-generation digital only mechless players for under a hundo and they're quite nice (even though the UI is often very 1990s Japanese-y)

I have one (JVC KD-X-something-BT) in the Subaru and am waiting for Boxing Day sales to fart one into the spare parts supply for the next project.

Bonus is that the JVC wiring pinout is almost identical to the 90s Subaru stereo wiring pinout so you can cut the pigtail off a broken stock head unit and make it work.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 29, 2016

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

What's cheap that will do that? Actually I don't even need the radio part, just an amp with a volume knob and aux input/bluetooth, and a charger. Doesn't need to do anything at all on it's own.

jamal fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 29, 2016

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
You can have a perfectly fine radio without an external antenna anyway.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah FM works in town, but as soon as not really close to a transmitter or in trees or a valley or something not so much. But I removed the broken antenna entirely.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Both of mine are also JVC kdx xx BT things. 80? I use an external amp for the subwoofer anyway. They're like 4 inches deep, and awesome.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Now that I'm looking, I guess yeah for 70-80 get whatever deck has bluetooth or what you need. Stuff here for example:

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Digital+Media+Receivers

The 290 is like $73 on amazon.

jamal fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 29, 2016

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Ferremit posted:

Thats more horrible owner failure... What kind of idiot drives straight past the sign that says lower or remove antennas? uses an automatic car wash with brushes?

Fixed. If you care about your paint's finish stay away from non-touch free automatic washes.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

When I worked at Avis in the early 2000s our horizontal roller in the car wash would tear the wiper arms right off grand ams. We had hit the gas to "bounce" the roller up over the wipers. I swear they were made with melted down craftsman wrenches, it sheared the arms and left you with a little stub.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Reminder that many Japanese and German cars have had the shark fin antenna or one that is hidden, and neither will be ripped apart in a car wash.

American Cars In The Year 2016.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wild EEPROM posted:

Reminder that many Japanese and German cars have had the shark fin antenna or one that is hidden, and neither will be ripped apart in a car wash.

I have a Ford and have one of these, go through car washes ever once in a while and it's still attached.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
2001 200sx had the antenna and rear window de-mister overlay work as the same thing. loving ingenious.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Got to have a really, really good isolated power supply for that, I guess. But that's cool.

*Listening to radio, turn rear defogger on*

*Radio tuner preamp pops*

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Got to have a really, really good isolated power supply for that, I guess. But that's cool.

*Listening to radio, turn rear defogger on*

*Radio tuner preamp pops*
A high-pass filter's just a capacitor and a resistor.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jamal posted:

What's cheap that will do that? Actually I don't even need the radio part, just an amp with a volume knob and aux input/bluetooth, and a charger. Doesn't need to do anything at all on it's own.
Cheap Ebay :china: mini amps sound like what you need, perhaps coupled to a cheap Ebay :china: bluetooth dongle.

If you want it to be a single DIN fitting, I think most manufacturers have made cheap no-optical-drive headunits in the recent past, if not at present.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Ferremit posted:

Thats more horrible owner failure... What kind of idiot drives straight past the sign that says lower or remove antennas?

I followed the link in the article to the guy's post on the ford forums, and he claims there wasn't any warning signage of any kind. It was also a very :texas: post.

And really, I'm not surprised that things broke, I'm more amazed at how it broke.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Wild EEPROM posted:

The shark fin is for Sirius XM reception. You still need an AM/FM antenna somewhere.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Built onto the rear window like a civilised country :colbert:

EDIT: Not technically part of the rear demister.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 29, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or like I said previously, dispense with antennas completely because radio is dumb. :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

Or like I said previously, dispense with antennas completely because radio is dumb. :colbert:

Also euthanize all radio hosts.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Gorilla Salad posted:

Built onto the rear window like a civilised country :colbert:

EDIT: Not technically part of the rear demister.

The Audi B3s have it built into the front window.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

CommieGIR posted:

The Audi B3s have it built into the front window.

poo poo, Chevy was doing that 45 years ago. two wires up the windshield and then out across the top. Looks nice but I fear ever needing a replacement.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Wild EEPROM posted:

Sharkfin antennas do work if properly built, but they cost a lot more to do right because 1/4-wave for FM broadcast freqs works out to a lot longer than fits in a sharkfin properly. RF is basically condensed black magic, btw.

My 01 Forester has it built into the rear driver side window pane with a preamp module.

A lot of cars are going to glass or sharkfin antennas these days despite the extra engineering and cost needed because a cylindrical radio antenna is about the worst case for aerodynamics there is. The same length airfoil TEN TIMES THICKER has the same drag coefficient, for example. So when you go to a 2-3 inch tall airfoil that's like 20 times wider instead of a couple feet of round radio antenna, it actually improves fuel economy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wonder how F1 engineers feel about those little antennas sticking out of the hood of their cars. They got this machine that cost tens of millions of dollars to develop the perfect aerodynamic flow, and then someone had to come in and gently caress it up by drilling a hole right in the middle and poking a metal pole through it.

Given none of the body is metal I would think they could conceal antennas somewhere else but maybe regulations don't allow it?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Powershift posted:

I don't know about all hosts, but schock jocks need to go.

Also morning zoo shows should be considered a war crime.

I forgot how terrible terrestrial radio was until I got a work van with no aux inputs of any kind

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

Counterpoint: http://cjsw.com/program/radio-free-transylvania/episode/20161114
yeah CJSW doesn't really count being public and all, but I'll take any excuse to link this guy, especially the post-Trump-win show

Also, the tie rod end that got drilled out in that video a page back is US$3. You'd spend at least that on a Chinese tap if you didn't already have it, and zerks aren't cheap unless you're buying a few dozen. Not much of a value proposition for the type of person who'd need to watch a video to learn how to do that.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 29, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Wild EEPROM posted:

I'm surprised the F-150 still has a full size antenna. I really thought all Fords had switched to sharkfin-style. Even the base Fiesta has one.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Something, something, stagnation in the domestic truck market. The real Horrible Car Stuff is the Chicken Tax

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

xzzy posted:

How else will I listen to Michael Savage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

PCOS Bill posted:

How else will I listen to Michael Savage?

Doesn't he have a podcast by now?