Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
That feeling you get when you download 30 GIG of pure awesome Lumberyard, three times and it fails on the last 214.20KB every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I think the guy who said they just switched by getting the license.txt file for LY was probably the one who got closer (or spot on) to what has happened.

Ofcourse they could have spend two days on making their 4 years of changes on the CE 3.7 fork into a patch and then applying it to the CE 3.7 again for the lulz.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/TheBristolBoy88/status/812661992829976576

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Lumberyards are dangerous places.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Physics
http://i.imgur.com/qRBNEki.gifv

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

AbstractNapper posted:

Holy poo poo. hahahah!

Nice find.

I'd expect that it doesn't take long for anyone to spot inconsistencies in their full of holes, contradictions and marketing/nonsensical-talk narrative, but it still is admirable that someone will take the bullet and spend time going through that pile of paaarp garbage.

All the smart people involved are just keeping their mouths shut. Why would you, on your own, go to outside forums, outside of your job requirements, to defend your employer's questionable practices? You're either in on it, in which case you should just completely shut up unless you are a primary actor, or you're a real believer blind to what's happening.

I have to go with the latter on Parry. I think he must be one portion naive, and another portion shielded from the core engine work, due to being some kind of lighting algorithm guy.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Truga posted:

The thing they have is exactly my kind of poo poo, so I'd be willing to pay $20 if it wasn't literally worse than space engineers in every way.

You know.. that's a God drat milestone because gently caress space engineers and their awful lovely devs. Miner wars was touted to be everything space engineers is and they hosed over every one of us who bought into their game. gently caress them with a redwood log.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
What loving dumbass names their podcast REDACTED

Hey let's watch my favourite show [CROSSED OUT] starring [NAME REMOVED]

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

cool new Polack jokes posted:

I think the only way I'd name a podcast REDACTED would be if it was about S.C.P's.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

The moment you realize WTFOSAURUS is the only one talking sense -_-"

WTFOsaurus is unironically the most watchable, and, I suppose, the most level headed of the dedicated SC streamers. His streams are bearable, the rest are completely intolerable. The salt helps make what he serves up to be more palatable.

The next closest is that guy who wears suits and that kindergartner's space helmet. (Just looked it up, "TheAstroPub".) He's terrible, but I've seen him stream totally drunk, which delivers a little on its own. The rest are even more boring or cringey. I've never heard so many fart, or other bodily function, sound effects until I started hopping around SC streamers. Then there's guys like Twerk, or BoredGamer who are just anesthetically boring.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

cool new Polack jokes posted:

As usual cig and it's faithful have taken something that sounded cool and run with it full tilt into the blades of a combine operating at night with its lights off

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

XK posted:

WTFOsaurus is unironically the most watchable, and, I suppose, the most level headed of the dedicated SC streamers. His streams are bearable, the rest are completely intolerable. The salt helps make what he serves up to be more palatable.

The next closest is that guy who wears suits and that kindergartner's space helmet. (Just looked it up, "TheAstroPub".) He's terrible, but I've seen him stream totally drunk, which delivers a little on its own. The rest are even more boring or cringey. I've never heard so many fart, or other bodily function, sound effects until I started hopping around SC streamers. Then there's guys like Twerk, or BoredGamer who are just anesthetically boring.

I like captain Richard , Who seems to think the height of comedy is being able to raise one eyebrow

Oh and don't forget the pedo undertones

XK
Jul 9, 2001

That's actually kind of cool, ignoring the part where it clearly should've hit the commando.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
zecumbe must think he's super clever lurking the thread and taking screencaps meanwhile getting downvoted to oblivion by his own kind

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Wilson says:
19 NOVEMBER 2016 AT 22:57
CTO using AWS and not GCE should be held accountable for not only wasting money on AWS, but also accountable for the inferior network latency of AWS.

Tom says:
20 NOVEMBER 2016 AT 02:31
Switching to GCE after using AWS for almost 4 years has paid off big time. I’m glad others have come to the same conclusion. I’ve also noticed much less latency across the board with GCE.

https://thehftguy.com/2016/11/18/google-cloud-is-50-cheaper-than-aws

Binky · 05/12 um 17:18
Hi guys, as we are still very early in development (still in Beta), and as such we can't release a roadmap right now. It is a great idea and something we will be doing in the not too distant future. As soon as I have a date as to when, I will let you know.

https://gamedev.amazon.com/forums/articles/9159/road-map-amazon-lumberyard.html

This is funny, the most ambitious Game ever with the most open development ever that has zero milestones or even a public list what stretchgoals are worked on switches to Lumberyard, that is in VERY EARLY DEVELOPMENT and the devs can't release a roadmap.
I guess it makes sense. :mmmhmm:

Citizen, your roadmap should end with the final milestone called "Get a refund"

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Kinda cool, they should keep track of little touches like this, they could call them Battlefield Star Citizen moments. Clearly this tech is revolutionary and has never been done before.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

nawledgelambo posted:

zecumbe must think he's super clever lurking the thread and taking screencaps meanwhile getting downvoted to oblivion by his own kind

gently caress Off Goonietm

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Poor commando. Firing a missile costs like 20 dollars.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Drunk Theory posted:

Poor commando. Firing a missile costs like 20 dollars.

No you see. You can earn missiles by playing the drink mixing game in the yacht.
Impress the npc passenger with your skills and he'll give you twenty missiles in lieu of a tip.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

:gary:

:gary: :gary:

AbstractNapper posted:

(why do that in the first place? for the license maybe? Does it count if you are not actually using the LY code though?)

Ding Ding Ding. Also, it's up to Crytek's lawyers to determine if they are getting rorted by CIG. I'm pretty sure that they only bought one game engine license, and would have had to negotiate additional ones for Squadron 42.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Tokamak posted:

:gary:

:gary: :gary:

Ding Ding Ding. Also, it's up to Crytek's lawyers to determine if they are getting rorted by CIG. I'm pretty sure that they only bought one game engine license, and would have had to negotiate additional ones for Squadron 42.

Interesting... makes sense in a way.
Also, I don't think Crytek was to fond of them dubbing the cryengine to star engine.
I mean, Amazon payed between the 50 an 70 mil for the core code.

CIG just tried to double cross Crytek lol.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't CIG own their version of Cryengine? Why would they care what happened to Crytek? If they ever intend to integrate with Lumberyard in any meaningful way it's going to be all about CIG giving up on fixing their own netcode and hoping Amazon has done a better job at it. Problem is that Amazon can't make miracles and no netcode in the world is going to be able to deal with 1000 100 50 30 ships + planets + asteroids + players + NPCs + objects all in high fidelity in any acceptable way.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
This is my favourite bit of the SC video Derek put in his Twitter feed... the "$800 spent and almost homeless" one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEJJGreKwUQ&t=115s

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/latest/developerguide/lumberyard-dg.pdf

The last sentence of the lumberyard dev guide 1.6 on page 787 ends with a link to their blog, but the link does not work.
Isn't it ironic

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Breetai posted:

Have you a link?

It's been going for pages but:

AbstractNapper posted:

Does that sound pointless to anyone else, too? Or just me then?
I think this explanation gets better and better.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4943894&viewfull=1#post4943894

that sums up what Parry would have us believe. He can't have the story both ways. No one who uses VCS can believe that picture. Engines don't get versioned without something important changing and it beggars belief that StarEngine "just happened" to track those changes.

For example, a few posts down:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4943940&viewfull=1#post4943940

This is the problem. Added to that, Parry tried to shoot down Derek's timeline for the CryEngine until it was eventually pointed out to him that Derek was using a label for a period of development not officially known as 'CryEngine 4'. He was shilling hard at that point. But we're not going to get this narrative shifted and the FDev mods are equally disinterested.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Mr.PayDay posted:

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/latest/developerguide/lumberyard-dg.pdf

The last sentence of the lumberyard dev guide 1.6 on page 787 ends with a link to their blog, but the link does not work.
Isn't it ironic

It's actually a link to :siren: THE JULY BLOG :siren: but they shipped an item 1 day late so the good doctor blocked them.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Interesting... makes sense in a way.
Also, I don't think Crytek was to fond of them dubbing the cryengine to star engine.
I mean, Amazon payed between the 50 an 70 mil for the core code.

CIG just tried to double cross Crytek lol.

I don't think anyone officially involved with CIG ever used the name "Star Engine". I'm pretty sure a shitizen just started calling it that. I'm totally open to being proven wrong on that.

The thought about CIG's original license being for one game, yet they have all these different game modules, plus SQ42 (multiple planned releases), is an interesting thing to ponder.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

MeLKoR posted:

Didn't CIG own their version of Cryengine? Why would they care what happened to Crytek? If they ever intend to integrate with Lumberyard in any meaningful way it's going to be all about CIG giving up on fixing their own netcode and hoping Amazon has done a better job at it. Problem is that Amazon can't make miracles and no netcode in the world is going to be able to deal with 1000 100 50 30 ships + planets + asteroids + players + NPCs + objects all in high fidelity in any acceptable way.

LOL it took them 2 days to merge Star Engine and Lumberyard. Together with AWS there is no way a full featured PTU 3.0 and SQ42 won't be released in 2017

But you don't understand Game development, so get educated:

https://github.com/open-guides/og-aws

Compound services: These are similarly specific, but are full-blown services (*)(**)that tackle complex problems and may tie you in. Usefulness depends on your requirements. If you have large or significant need, you may have these already managed by in-house systems and engineering teams.
Machine Learning: Machine learning model training and classification
⛓🕍Data Pipeline: Managed ETL service
⛓🕍SWF: Managed state tracker for distributed polyglot job workflow
⛓🕍Lumberyard: 3D game engine

*Lock-in: Products or decisions that are likely to tie you to AWS in a new or significant way — that is, later moving to a non-AWS alternative would be costly in terms of engineering effort
** A mild warning attached to “full solution” or opinionated frameworks that may take significant time to understand and/or might not fit your needs exactly; the opposite of a point solution

Star Citizen: Chris Roberts Full Solution

XK
Jul 9, 2001

ewe2 posted:

Parry tried to shoot down Derek's timeline for the CryEngine until it was eventually pointed out to him that Derek was using a label for a period of development not officially known as 'CryEngine 4'.

I've yet see anyone give a clear answer on CryEngine 4, 5, 3.x version numbers. As best I can tell, 3.6x was rebranded as 4 (possibly never officially released), and 3.8x was rebranded as 5.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

It's actually a link to :siren: THE JULY BLOG :siren: but they shipped an item 1 day late so the good doctor blocked them.

:classiclol: :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Mr.PayDay posted:

LOL it took them 2 days to merge Star Engine and Lumberyard. Together with AWS there is no way a full featured PTU 3.0 and SQ42 won't be released in 2017

But you don't understand Game development, so get educated:

https://github.com/open-guides/og-aws

Compound services: These are similarly specific, but are full-blown services (*)(**)that tackle complex problems and may tie you in. Usefulness depends on your requirements. If you have large or significant need, you may have these already managed by in-house systems and engineering teams.
Machine Learning: Machine learning model training and classification
⛓🕍Data Pipeline: Managed ETL service
⛓🕍SWF: Managed state tracker for distributed polyglot job workflow
⛓🕍Lumberyard: 3D game engine

*Lock-in: Products or decisions that are likely to tie you to AWS in a new or significant way — that is, later moving to a non-AWS alternative would be costly in terms of engineering effort
** A mild warning attached to “full solution” or opinionated frameworks that may take significant time to understand and/or might not fit your needs exactly; the opposite of a point solution

Star Citizen: Chris Roberts Full Solution

How much is the starter pack again? :shepspends:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The fabled network patch is going to come in and the game is going to run like poo poo because the netcode itself isn't whats holding the game back, its because Chris stupid vision of having the server track a bunch of superfluous poo poo that consumes a massive amount of performance from the cpus and that costs real money to solve. Its pretty obvious that the reason everything runs fine after a server reboot is because theres barely any people taxing the instances/cpus and the moment they hit their purchased limit the poo poo starts to hit the fan.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Guys I know this is the place to talk about the greatest game ever made or to be made, but have you tried Speed Runners? It's probably even slightly better than Star Citizen, if you can believe it.

Also did they really just switch engines? loving lol, where do I pledge money for imaginary spaceships?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sabreseven posted:

I'm actually ok with those :D

You think Reno would get hit? I'm okay with them as long as I can be Neegan in the aftermath, not so much if I get killed directly.

Syd Syko
Nov 15, 2012

Out there ----> Somewhere

MeLKoR posted:

Didn't CIG own their version of Cryengine? .......

Now now, don't be bringing nuggets of truth into this cesspit of poo poo posting!

TheGodofIris
Oct 12, 2016

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free
Tane

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

MoMA where are you?

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Is this Mega Map?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

kikkelivelho posted:

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. FAU is one of the few intelligent and rational goons left who still have their money in Star Citizen. He was also very kind and considerate when I complained about the state of this thread. Sadly his hands are somewhat tied since Lowtax is now friends with mr. Smart and other deplorables who troll here and elsewhere.

When I posted that he had money in Star Citizen, not only did he deny it, others didn't believe me.

Yeah, it all makes sense now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.twitch.tv/dangheesling

~1500 viewers. Did have 4500 when another streamer started hosting his channel, then the viewcount started bleeding quickly. Only 280 viewers in his chat channel, so most must not have been impressed enough to move over.

e: tax

Quavers fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 29, 2016