Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Same. Is that what the new shipping notifications are for, or is this for the rest of the stuff?

I need to know what that mystery gift is :negative:

According to: http://mst3k.com/kickstarter/faq/rewards/#schedule these are the rewards that should be shipping right around now:

MEMBERSHIP CARD & CERTIFICATE
OFFICIAL T-SHIRTS
OFFICIAL HOODIES
POSTCARD SET

No mystery gift until after the show premiers unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Same. Is that what the new shipping notifications are for, or is this for the rest of the stuff?

I need to know what that mystery gift is :negative:

The website clearly said they shipped my t-shirt

I'm gonna be rockin around that christmas tree

Next week maybe

I also got the postcard :krad:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I got a post card and a Time Chasers coloring book

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

hhhat posted:

OMG OMG OMG

I just got a shipping notification

The kickstart goods are on the way

The Martians have saved Christmas!

I just got a shipping notification for MST3K goods, too, complete with a picture of the new cast under the MST3K logo. Then I realized it's actually my order of a reprinted Vol. I, and not the kickstarter stuff. I have no idea why my phone used that particular picture.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Kickstarter backers, check your VHX - both Christmas experiments have been added!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Why would they make branded stuff that says "Mystery Science Theater 3000" and not stuff that says "Gizmonic Institute" :psyduck:

Joel Hodgson actually owns the rights on anything with "Gizmonic Institute" as it was his concept originally. I'm of the opinion that since he wanted a fresh start for the new MST3K he's not too much into marketing the past. Or maybe he doesn't want to approve anything from the Mallon years for fear of digging up poo poo he'd want to make money on too.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZyJCV_dyug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MioTYWrsVHQ

Merry Christmas, Mistie goons!

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Aw, we meant to do a post-Christmas stupor/Boxing Day Rifftrax-a-thon, but they've all been pulled off Amazon Prime (there were about 20 of them there, including Kingdom of the Spiders -- a twofer for me with William Shatnering it around and then seeing a childhood pal appear in the film; she lived in Camp Verde at the time).

Still, got a copy of Growing Up with Manos: The Hands of Fate: How I was the Child Star of the Worst Movie Ever Made and Lived to Tell the Story from Father Christmas and that :black101:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
2017 already has something up on 2016, MST3K is back :allears:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Same

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm catching up on unwatched episodes from the Shout! boxes I've accumulated (soon to be ex-wife refused to watch MST3K).

I've been pleasantly surprised how funny all of Season One is. I'm only a few episodes away from seeing the entire season (Robot Holocaust and Women of the Prehistoric Planet, maybe one more). Even The Crawling Eye and Robot/Aztec Mummy are funny.

Moon Zero Two - Seems to be trying to ape 2001 without the imagination or budget. Lots of great riffs and the host segment mocking the silly zero gravity effects is great. The opening credits even get a Trump riff.
Untamed Youth - This is exactly the sort of film I love seeing on MST3K. Not terrible, but cheesy enough. Mamie van Doren is actually really good in this and I'm surprised how the film calls out the prison work system. The tongue puppet is probably the grossest invention exchange yet.
The Black Scorpion - Not Willis O'Brien's finest moment, but a decent creature feature. I liked the bit with Gypsy's scorpion costume. This does have the weird effect with clapping every time one character talks. Also nice shadow gag with Joel and the Bots roasting weiners on an exploding volcano.

Also starting on other episodes...
King Dinosaur - So much stock footage and walking. Yeech. X-Marks the Spot is kind of dark without too much to riff. I'm guessing this is the very first short they did besides serial episodes?

I'm also watching all the terrific Ballyhoo featurettes. The one on King Dinosaur about Lippert Films was excellent. I never expected to see discussion of Samuel Fuller on a MST3K release.

What do you think sirs?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Season 1 is generally pretty solid outside of rougher skits, yes. It helps that for a lot of the movies this is their second time using them (much of season one is basically better refined KTMA scripts)

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

My husband bought me this 45 for Christmas. It is from the Girl in Gold Boots soundtrack featuring a couple instrumentals that aren't especially recognizable from the movie, but are in it.

I feel shamefully nerdy about owning it, but it also makes me really happy.

Girl is one of my faves. Now I just need this on vinyl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQSDzANxFSs

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

As an MST nerd and also a vinyl nerd, I wholeheartedly approve.

Be sure you get the recently released Manos soundtrack on wax.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Ballz posted:

As an MST nerd and also a vinyl nerd, I wholeheartedly approve.

Be sure you get the recently released Manos soundtrack on wax.

Yeah, Ive been holding off on that but I can think of more than one hilarious way to use the neverending Torgo theme. . .

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
The stop motion in Black Scorpion is pretty cool.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

The stop motion in Black Scorpion is pretty cool.

As with many films late in Willis O'Brien's career, the special effects are pretty much the *only* pretty cool thing in the movie.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Yall. Shirt arrived. I will now smugly wear it around and tell people 'you're welcome' when they come up and thank me for bringing back their favorite show for them.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

hhhat posted:

Yall. Shirt arrived. I will now smugly wear it around and tell people 'you're welcome' when they come up and thank me for bringing back their favorite show for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nDM_6WIUnc

You have to say it like this though.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

TVs Ian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nDM_6WIUnc

You have to say it like this though.

*you're welcome*

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Help me identify this episode for my dad:

-has a character with bat wing helmet
-It's not Deathstalker
-Probably a Joel episode
-he thought it was "Swedish" but I don't remember such a character in Sinbad or Sampo
-might be black and white
-It's also not Batwoman

Edit: my guess -- Cave Dwellers? I can't remember what the villain's helmet looked like.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 4, 2017

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That sounds plausible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKO6M8heGU0

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Cave Dwellers

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Showed him the pic and he doesn't think so. He says it was bat wings on the forehead of the helmet and that Joel/Mike and the bots had a field day with it.

He again reiterated it was black and white. It's driving me nuts too, because it does sound familiar but this may be turning into a Shazaam thing.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe he's mixing some eps up? Because there's definitely the bat helmet in Deathstalker.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Ballz posted:

Showed him the pic and he doesn't think so. He says it was bat wings on the forehead of the helmet and that Joel/Mike and the bots had a field day with it.

He again reiterated it was black and white. It's driving me nuts too, because it does sound familiar but this may be turning into a Shazaam thing.

It could be The Sword and the Dragon/Ilyo Muromets, which was by the same director as Sampo and Sadko. The villain looked like this:

Edit: If it is in B&W like he remembers, maybe Viking Women and the Sea Serpent? Been a long time since I've seen that one.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 4, 2017

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I thought it was Deathstalker too but we watched it tonight and while he thoroughly enjoyed it, he says it's not the one.

He's now describing it as being like a football helmet with tiny bat wings on the front

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm also guessing maybe "viking women". There's a guy with a word helmet in that.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I can't think of any black & white sword and sorcery films they watched. The only other bat-wing helmets I can think of are Deathstalker (which you already said it wasn't) and Quest of the Delta Knights.

That's Deathstalker. Delta Knights you can see four and a half minutes into this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvPzxC_HpPA&hd=1

EDIT: Forgot about Viking Women. If it's B&W it's gotta be that.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 4, 2017

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Could he be thinking of the Undersea Kingdom shorts? B&W, lots of goofy helmets...

Edit: Maybe he was remembering the hero's helmet in the later installments:

Edit 2: I scanned through Viking Women, and the villain just has a simple furry helmet with a spike on top.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 4, 2017

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Mole People has some goofy rear end head gear and could be confused as Swedish I guess?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Think I'm just gonna have to marathon the entire series with him, oh well. :shrug:

Thanks, everyone. I'll probably do Viking Women and Cave Dwellers next, cuz man I really want to know what he's talking about.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just got the shipping notification that my T-Shirt and postcard set are shipping! :dance:

I was supposed to be getting a mug, too, but I guess that's shipping separately?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

I was supposed to be getting a mug, too, but I guess that's shipping separately?

For whatever reason, the mugs aren't coming until after the season premieres: http://mst3k.com/kickstarter/faq/rewards/#schedule

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Diabolik900 posted:

For whatever reason, the mugs aren't coming until after the season premieres: http://mst3k.com/kickstarter/faq/rewards/#schedule

They probably have a new logo on them that will be premiered with the new opening.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ah, yeah, I suppose that makes sense.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

They're already using the new logo all over the show's social media accounts. I'm sure they have their reasons though. It could just be a logistical issue of some kind.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Diabolik900 posted:

They're already using the new logo all over the show's social media accounts. I'm sure they have their reasons though. It could just be a logistical issue of some kind.

Oh right, I forgot they already announced that :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ballz posted:

Think I'm just gonna have to marathon the entire series with him, oh well. :shrug:

Thanks, everyone. I'll probably do Viking Women and Cave Dwellers next, cuz man I really want to know what he's talking about.

Wait, i think I have it. Is it the one where a psychiatrist does hypno therapy on a woman and reveals in a past life she was burnt as a witch, everyone is talking like they are at a Ren Faire. And the Psychiatrist inceptions her and gets stuck in the past with Satan...somehow? Black and White and Has the line "There, Sure glad I Don't look stupid in this" In regards to a helmet.

I don't remember the title though.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 6, 2017