Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Die Sexmonster! posted:

The problem is the characters in XIII are unlikeable and you don't want to listen to them. Also, XV is a much simpler world. "King reclaims throne" was a genius move, it made the ending stick after all the side details got thrown at you like a handful of spaghetti. You don't need to understand the history of the Six or the Lucis line to appreciate the game. That's where XV succeeded and XIII failed.

And, again, likeable characters.

Counter point,

I was fine with ffxiii's characters. :shrug:

Likable isn't something that is equal for every person.

FF XIII didn't fail.
It didn't sell poorly
It has above average scores on metacritic overall for users and reviewers.
It also got 2 sequels.

The history of the 6 and the lucis line aren't necessary to appreciate FFXV, but are vitally important to making out what is going on in a huge chunk of the story, and story telling is one of the bigger issues in the game which is odd for such a simple story. Otherwise it's pretty set pieces that people let slide by because they have familiar names to other final fantasy summons lol.
like without understanding the 6, like the ifrit fight is just there without the most basic understanding of why fighting him was saved for last

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

MMD3 posted:

Is The Last Spiracorns hunt bugged for everyone? I played through the game and couldn't get them to spawn when I first got the quest so I had to go back much later. My friend is playing through the game now and same thing, they wouldn't spawn when he first attempted to find them.

Is that the one right next to the Empire base? They wouldn't spawn for me until I did the mission to clear that things out.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Right, I get the Gysahl Greens on display at the chocobo post store. I get the dreamcatchers too, those are probably tourist bait mega sellers.

Why's the vendor got 6 handguns on show behind him though???

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So, i'm looking for a few general "getting the most out of FF15" pointers now i'm getting into the meat of the second area.

First off, now i've unlocked Chocobos, i should just be renting them for 7 day periods and never walk anywhere again right?

Next, those treasure and gathering spots. Should i be making an effort to visit all of them? I noticed that both seemed to get restocked making it feel a bit pointless to gather them all short of it just gradually colouring in the map as i explore new areas.

Fast travel: Should i be abusing it as muhc as possible or slowy gathering the trickle of AP from watching the car drive me everywhere in 2-5 minute chunks?

Length of the day: Can this be stretched out in any way (like in Majoras mask) or am i stuck in what feels like a very limited day -> sleep cycle (or is this maybe only something that i kinda have to adhere to while i'm at <20 levels).

AP distribution: I've dumped the majority of my early AP into exploration with only the level 99 and above nodes left, should i focus on getting all the <99 AP nodes first or just ignore everything 100+ until post game?

Magic: The effort it takes to make a batch of just 3 spells seems to be more effort than it's worth just now. I get that they can be turned into nukes to instawin battles but at which point is this really viable?

Questing: To get the most out of things, i should generally do every sidequest and hunt i can that's at or below my level before carrying on with the main questline right?

Diner Food: Should i be buying one of each of the meals at outposts for some kind of cookery learning thing?

Treasures: Should i be selling these? I read that they're used for late game upgrades. Do i need to keep all of them or a minimum stock of certain items?

Cash: Is there a point where money basically becomes no object, or am i gonna be skint for most of the game?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Kin posted:

So, i'm looking for a few general "getting the most out of FF15" pointers now i'm getting into the meat of the second area.
Chocobos - yeah. stock up.
Treasure - dont go out of your way, but swing by if you're riding and it's not too much of a detour
Fast travel - I enjoyed driving around for a while but after 20 hours started fast travelling. your call.
Length of day - you'll soon get strong enough to go out at night. it's a nice transition to feeling powerful. can also fast travel around to turn quests in at night, explore during the day.
AP - teamwork skills are fun. adding new combat moves should be top priority too.
Magic - stay stocked up, make spells when you need them or are full. I started using it more in chapter 9+ when things got harder. you'll also be able to store 7+ spells at any time then too.
Questing - you'll end up massively overleveled for the main quest and the rest of the story will be too easy if you do that. I pushed the story on hard when I hit level 35 at chapter 7 and played as it was linear until the end. finished around 45, had some tough but satisfying fights. being level 70+ for them wouldve taken some of the weight out i think.
diner food - if you want. you trying to collect them all?
treasures - dont sell them right away, combine them with magic unless it doesnt combine to make something you want. then sell them, and that solves your cash issue.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 28, 2016

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

To chime in on the "What to sell" question, are the only things you REALLY don't want to sell rare/debased/oracle ascension coins? Everything else you can safely sell without regretting it later on?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 28, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RCarr posted:

To chime in on the "What to sell" question, are the only things you REALLY don't want to sell the debased coins and the oracle ascension coins? Everything else you can safely sell without regretting it later on?

Don't sell anything. Anything. Ever.

Hunts will give you enough money to get by.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Try to keep one of everything, because some treasures are used for upgrades or are the object of a sidequest, and having them will allow you to avoid running around hunting one later.

You can totally sell the 30 wolf whiskers or w/e poo poo you have though.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Oxxidation posted:

Don't sell anything. Anything. Ever.

Hunts will give you enough money to get by.

I made the mistake of not selling anything and I was starved for cash because I didn't do many hunts. Definitely sell stuff when you need cash immediately.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Play justice monsters in altissa for 30mins to an hour and never think about money again.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Wrist Watch posted:

Final Fantasy XIII is twenty to twenty five hours of literally waking down glorified hallways and watching cutscenes while constantly switching perspectives between characters every hour or so, a roster full of insufferable assholes who also constantly make the worst decisions possible aside from a guy twice the age as the rest of the cast whose personality is "too old for these kids and their stupid poo poo", and absolute piss easy combat except for when it decides to ramp it up for boss battles, before the game actually deigns to give you your full loving party to play with.

The story is okay...five hours in or so once characters actually talk about what the gently caress the words they're saying mean and even then you honestly need to stop playing to read through datalogues so you can actually know what the actual gently caress terms mean. Once you know what all the made up terms mean it's not bad by any means, but getting there is a headache that's literally reached memetic proportions since release.

If you like that game, that's cool. There's legit nice stuff there, the music is great and it's a pretty game all around, but don't try to pretend that other than that it doesn't deserve every last insult thrown at it. Everyone says the sequels are better but I gave up shortly after getting my party together and hated it too much to even ever consider buying them.

triple sulk posted:

It's really not, I got like 10 hours in and had no loving clue what was going on

It's from another thread but this guy really got it in one

Mr. Fortitude posted:

My favorite part of the JRPG threads on Something Awful are when goons complain about things not making any sense when it was actually explained in the game and they weren't paying attention and have the attention span of a goldfish.
This trend of goons not paying attention and blaming the game for their own ineptitude isn't really limited to Cold Steel either I've noticed.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
naw ff13 just has a stupid setting/story, but it's a fun game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I can't be the only one who thought of the opening lines to Holy Diver when entering the Steyliff Grove dungeon that first time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I never used magic except for the XP one.

What a worthless system.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

wizard on a water slide posted:

naw ff13 just has a stupid setting/story, but it's a fun game.

It really wasn't that stupid of a setting, it was just an ambitious story that required outside material to tell. People were so busy whining about not having an air ship from the games start to pay attention. (funny considering before XIII the hate boner was focused on x-2, people ignored that it was the only one in the series that DID let you have the airship 30 minutes in. In fact i doubt many people even realize the maps are still the same as X and you can technically walk through most of the game save for kilika /besaid if you wanted)

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I never used magic except for the XP one.

What a worthless system.

:shrug:

i think it's something incredibly powerful that helped me cheese encounters, and is the most hilarious way to end air ship battles before their feet hit the ground.

but to each their own.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I really like the magic system and I don't really see how it's too complex or whatever when it spells out exactly what the big fancy names of the spells actually mean. Like, I got kinda over my head in a hunt and was getting hosed up by weird mutant dogs in an enclosed space and I dropped a super duper deca blizzaga on them and it ruled. It was cool to be able to make a thing that not just was powerful but did cool poo poo like frosting the world around me and leaving the surviving doggos vulnerable to getting finished off easy because they were frozen. It's a cool thing that feels extremely 'magical'.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I can understand like FF13 more than FF10 I guess but saying that it had a more consistent direction and was more stripped down? :psyduck:

Also random FF thought:
Especially since FFX did have it, FF12 felt like it was sorely missing characters occasionally saying things to each other and bantering during combat.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

Questing - you'll end up massively overleveled for the main quest and the rest of the story will be too easy if you do that. I pushed the story on hard when I hit level 35 at chapter 7 and played as it was linear until the end. finished around 45, had some tough but satisfying fights. being level 70+ for them wouldve taken some of the weight out i think.

If being overlevelled will put an and to these frustrating 'random' encounters with the loving magitek soldiers i'm all for it.

I'm Level 22 and still get my poo poo pushed in by them when they're level 16-18 as their gun-toting chucklefucks just annihaliate me and my party. Especially when they drop down while i'm fighting something else.

It's like the game's purposefully trying to troll you into hating it. What a loving stupid gameplay decision.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bewilderment posted:

I can understand like FF13 more than FF10 I guess but saying that it had a more consistent direction and was more stripped down? :psyduck:

Also random FF thought:
Especially since FFX did have it, FF12 felt like it was sorely missing characters occasionally saying things to each other and bantering during combat.

A theoretical FF12 that had FFXV-style party chat would do wonders for that game.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

ImpAtom posted:

A theoretical FF12 that had FFXV-style party chat would do wonders for that game.

:same:

Zr388
Jan 15, 2011

It's like taking your dog fishing with you. If it jumps in the water it'll scare all the fish away, so you have to drop a rockslide on him.
Doing ultimania translations for the game. I feel bad for the people that paid for it. There's almost nothing useful in here.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Agreed, it'd make vaans role more interesting because him and penelo kinda just felt like there after a certain point.

Out of the FF's I've played, thats the one where i remember the least.

Like the idea of a protagonist just kinda being a long and providing a different perspective would be cooler if he did it more often.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

SectumSempra posted:

Agreed, it'd make vaans role more interesting because him and penelo kinda just felt like there after a certain point.

Vaan is a mc that doesn't belong in his own game, and it's painfully obvious as the story progresses. Like a spoiler on the top of a Honda CRV.

There's a quote from Yasumi Matsuno that Balthier was originally supposed to be the main character.

"Balthier was sidelined to make way for Vaan, a composite creation made of teen girl dreams and marketing man visions,vanilla to the bone." (Vol. 209, p. 110)

With that knowledge, the massive issues with FFXII's story make complete sense.

Klisejo fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 29, 2016

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
The dynamics between the main characters in XV really do sell the game. FFXII definitely did lack that and it made the worst parts of the game much more apparent. It needed more character interaction in many more segments and it suffered due to its lack. I still love the game, but yeah, it was definitely their first foray into the idea of a more open design policy, and it shows.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It's from another thread but this guy really got it in one

All I'm trying to say is that recommending it by calling it a good game with a few issues that's still worth playing is disingenuous as gently caress without mentioning for example how the first 25+ hours of the game is literally walking in a straight line down various hallways before you can even get your full party together.

If you think the plot introduction was actually handled fine or that everyone's exaggerating then whatever, that means my other points are also wrong for some reason I guess

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Man, they really needed to expand the train area. It's much more beautiful than Insomnia or wherever the free roam part is, and it already seems rather short for a FF game. I wanna go explore the castles of Tenebrae and it looks like a perfect area to use point warps. I wish the world was free-roamable over the entirety of the map seen a couple years ago...

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

FWIW I think IX is the best in the main series and Tactics is probably the best of all of them (although the iOS version is a pain in the rear end to play so I haven't really played it in years). XV I like even though it has flaws and I have 40 hours in it which is way more than any RPG for a long while. XIII just didn't pull me at all. I might try to emulate XII and give it a try again though I know that remaster is coming (except I don't have a PS4). OTOH I kinda suck and just can't get into VI. It's my shameful secret and I don't know why but I always play a few hours or so then give up. :(

To whoever mentioned Bravely Default, it's definitely a solid game until you get to the first major twist. At that point I gave up on it and was able to guess the ending twist.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So it turns out Ignis has eye problems I wasn't aware of.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So it turns out Ignis has eye problems I wasn't aware of.

why else would he wear glasses?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mezzanon posted:

why else would he wear glasses?

To look fashionable? I figured it was just a style thing v:v:v

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

One of their car conversations is about his glasses.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

One of their car conversations is about his glasses.

Huh, 90% of my playthrough the guys were just dead silent in the car outside talking about what pictures to take or warnings about night/day so I didn't hear it.

I admit by the end of my time in the open world though I was fast traveling everywhere as the silence during drives was boring the hell out of me.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Holy poo poo Ignis your almost loving blind dude the intensity of those lenses is absurd.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Wrist Watch posted:

All I'm trying to say is that recommending it by calling it a good game with a few issues that's still worth playing is disingenuous as gently caress without mentioning for example how the first 25+ hours of the game is literally walking in a straight line down various hallways before you can even get your full party together.

If you think the plot introduction was actually handled fine or that everyone's exaggerating then whatever, that means my other points are also wrong for some reason I guess

But lying about the content of the combat or the terminology that they 'refuse to explain' to make a point about a perceived slight is totally not disingenuous, I agree.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I'm still on chapter 3 and just trying to get an idea of the scope of the game seeing as i've plugged about 14 hours into it so far.

So, the explorable map in chapter 3, that's more or less the majority of the gameworld right? If i do every available sidequest in chapter 3 as they're popping up, is that more or less all of them in the game (excluding endgame content) or will more appear as i enter into the next chapter.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

More will appear. A portion of the map is also story locked and like 4 quests lines you're doing will end up in said area.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

More will appear. A portion of the map is also story locked and like 4 quests lines you're doing will end up in said area.

Awesome.

Also, i just came across a FF7 remake gameplay trailer from the end of 2015 i missed and i noticed a few things that seem to be in this, in particular there's the squeezing through gaps and holes animations as well as the fluid chained attacks.

Is the running theory that it's going to be basically be using the FF15 engine?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah they're changing the whole gameplay portion. It was announced earlier this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tildryn
Mar 18, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Huh, 90% of my playthrough the guys were just dead silent in the car outside talking about what pictures to take or warnings about night/day so I didn't hear it.

I admit by the end of my time in the open world though I was fast traveling everywhere as the silence during drives was boring the hell out of me.

I got it during the story trip to Titan. Ignis has passable eyesight without his glasses, but he wears them because he likes things to be 'crystal clear'.

• Locked thread