Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Vegg220 posted:

No, that is in no way my problem with the prequels. I am simply pointing out that GG as a scary Jedi killer isn't something we see in the film. Him having a bunch of lightsabers is in contradiction with how comical and nonthreatening he is, especially when compared to how he appears in media created by people who are more competent at making villains than prequel era George Lucas, such as the dude from The Powerpuff Girls

Grievous is - like Vader - a paper tiger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegg220
Sep 2, 2016

by 2017 exmarx

Ferrinus posted:

It totally is and you just wish deep down that the tragic school shooter was cool and witty.
Ok

Vegg220
Sep 2, 2016

by 2017 exmarx

sassassin posted:

Grievous is - like Vader - a paper tiger.

Vader kicks Luke's rear end easily

Vegg220
Sep 2, 2016

by 2017 exmarx

gfarrell80 posted:

To be clear:

It was Obi-Wan who said something that might be interpreted as 'kill vader', but didn't say it:

Maybe Obi Wan could have killed Vader instead of giving up and showing up every once in a while to deliver exposition as a ghost. He could have still done that part while alive

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Vegg220 posted:

Vader kicks Luke's rear end easily

Who doesn't?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It's about sexual magic. Obi-Wan is impotent. That's why he died the way he did and became a non-acting ghost (indeed, it is only when Obi-Wan embraced non-action that he became "more powerful than you can imagine").

Darth Vader, on the other hand, represents the anti-life of homosexuality. What is Vader? "More man than machine, twisted and evil." Who are the machines that we, as the audience, see and identify with? The homosexual droid pair of C3PO and R2D2. This isn't just stereotypes either, C3PO was actively modeled and inspired by George Lucas's gay friend Josh Templar (another case of syncretic magic but that's a story for another time).

Now, unlike posters trying to use an amulet of scry to understand Lucas's motivations, we know these things because he has told them to us. In interviews, he talks about Suzuki and Campbell, when describing Star Wars he creates a Promethian/Satanic worldview where "The Laws are in yourself." This is the "overstanding" I was talking about earlier.

There are other reasons to believe that George Lucas believes in sexual magic but they are more anecdotal. A lot of his charity work is designed to give him access to "nubile Nubians" something which he has a well publicized taste for. I know a few (n=4) people who allege to have had consensual sex with George Lucas as a result of his charity work and they also confirm that he is a practitioner of sexual magic. You can bracket that out if you'd like -- there is enough evidence without their testimony.

It's not important whether the sort of sexual magic being described here actually exists (it does, but that is beyond the scope of this thread) what is important is the George Lucas believes in it and it influences his work.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

euphronius posted:

THanks mate. THis explains why in Intersteller people literally point to a black board to explain equations and the evil guy is called Dr. Man.

I prefer to think that Interstellar's message is just that the real monster is Matt Damon.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

I prefer to think that Interstellar's message is just that the real monster is Matt Damon.

Matt Damon just needs to stop going places.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It is interesting to note that in the entire time the jedi/sith knew about midichlorians, nobody ever attempted to isolate the organism and grow it in a lab, where they could harvest and inject it into themselves to create more powerful force users, or inject them into a non-force user to make them force sensitive.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

It is interesting to note that in the entire time the jedi/sith knew about midichlorians, nobody ever attempted to isolate the organism and grow it in a lab, where they could harvest and inject it into themselves to create more powerful force users, or inject them into a non-force user to make them force sensitive.

The plot of Episode IX.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Freakazoid_ posted:

Jedi Knight 2 is about sith making new jedis by taking dead jedis midichlorians and implanting them into other people. Its pretty cool idea in a way and makes sense why they are bad guys.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

It is easier on my brain if I just refuse to accept the PT as canon.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Carrie Fisher's mother, Debbie Reynolds, just passed away as well. :(

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Raxivace posted:

That's so drat sad. She must have been so heartbroken. I was just listening to Carrie's last NPR interview and she was so grateful her mom survived a stroke and seemed to recovered well.:smith:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Raxivace posted:

Goddamn. This year is relentless.
Tammy is a pretty song, which everyone should listen to.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Raxivace posted:

Holy smokes what a hard week for that family :(

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

euphronius posted:

THanks mate. THis explains why in Intersteller people literally point to a black board to explain equations and the evil guy is called Dr. Man.

For what it's worth I haven't seen Interstellar and I generally like Nolan, but he makes movies that really attract a very literalist and pedantic audience.

Vegg220 posted:

No, that is in no way my problem with the prequels. I am simply pointing out that GG as a scary Jedi killer isn't something we see in the film. Him having a bunch of lightsabers is in contradiction with how comical and nonthreatening he is, especially when compared to how he appears in media created by people who are more competent at making villains than prequel era George Lucas, such as the dude from The Powerpuff Girls

I'm sure this sounded like an insult in your head but Powerpuff Girls is good and has an excellent stable of villains.

Shbobdb posted:

It's about sexual magic. Obi-Wan is impotent. That's why he died the way he did and became a non-acting ghost (indeed, it is only when Obi-Wan embraced non-action that he became "more powerful than you can imagine").

Darth Vader, on the other hand, represents the anti-life of homosexuality. What is Vader? "More man than machine, twisted and evil." Who are the machines that we, as the audience, see and identify with? The homosexual droid pair of C3PO and R2D2. This isn't just stereotypes either, C3PO was actively modeled and inspired by George Lucas's gay friend Josh Templar (another case of syncretic magic but that's a story for another time).

Now, unlike posters trying to use an amulet of scry to understand Lucas's motivations, we know these things because he has told them to us. In interviews, he talks about Suzuki and Campbell, when describing Star Wars he creates a Promethian/Satanic worldview where "The Laws are in yourself." This is the "overstanding" I was talking about earlier.

There are other reasons to believe that George Lucas believes in sexual magic but they are more anecdotal. A lot of his charity work is designed to give him access to "nubile Nubians" something which he has a well publicized taste for. I know a few (n=4) people who allege to have had consensual sex with George Lucas as a result of his charity work and they also confirm that he is a practitioner of sexual magic. You can bracket that out if you'd like -- there is enough evidence without their testimony.

It's not important whether the sort of sexual magic being described here actually exists (it does, but that is beyond the scope of this thread) what is important is the George Lucas believes in it and it influences his work.

I appreciate the effort, Super Tez.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Raxivace posted:

Todd Fisher told CNN, "My mother passed away a short time ago. She spoke to me this morning and said she missed Carrie."

:(

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Soggy Cereal posted:

Yeah I got that, but I want the twist.

I don't want it to just be "the Rebels are just as bad as the Empire!!!" because that would be disappointing, and it would really only be these specific rebels.

Also from most people's point of view, it's silly to give Saw so much characterization only for him to die a couple scenes later. Why so much time exploring who he is? The only thing I can think of is that it develops Jyn's character by extension, by showing her adopted dad. Only, it never pays off for her either. It seems to fit better with the removed subplot from the trailers where she is tempted somehow. Perhaps something thematic about pursuing the truth?

I just remember SMG said somewhere that if a scene in a movie doesn't seem to contribute to the plot, it's there for imagery and thematic purposes. That stuck with me and I thought it applied here, but I'm not quite sure how.

Nah, that's basically it. There is no "twist." The Rebels being just as bad as the Empire in terms of tactics and sometimes even ideology is something that's already explored in the movies (the Ion Cannon on Hoth, Triumph of the Will medal sequence, Separatist Ships evoking Rebel transports, etc.). Rogue One is just much more blatant about it.

Remember, we're talking about a group that calls themselves the Alliance to Restore the Republic, even though as we had seen the Republic naturally morphed into the Empire. Many of its leaders were literally just willing to give in because the Empire built the Death Star.

You can also think in relation to the idea that Saw is to the Rebel Senators as Darth Vader is to the Imperial Officer Corps. A "true believer" who uses "distasteful" methods to achieve his ends, and won't put up with their arrogant bullshit. Jyn needs that part of Saw to launch the mission on her own without their support.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cry Havoc posted:

Todd Fisher told CNN, "My mother passed away a short time ago. She spoke to me this morning and said she missed Carrie."

:(

What a ridiculously loving awful week for this family.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Soggy Cereal posted:

I want to know SMG's interpretation of Saw Gerrera's telepathic mind reading alien pet. It's the only thing in the movie that seems truly extraneous at first glance.

It's rebel-vader's analogue to Empire-vader's Imperial torture droid deployment on an uppity prisoner. The difference is that secrets in ANH aren't exposed because they're righteous: Leia gives up nothing to the droid, and only names Dantooine when Alderaan is threatened. Bodhi spills his guts, presumably, to the hentai monster.

Ironically, the Empire doesn't care about Dantooine because they planned to destroy Alderaan anyway, and Saw's rebels don't care about Bodhi's sincerity as a defector because they plan to be paranoid extremists anyway, and acknowledging that Bodhi might be well-intentioned pokes a tiny hole in their take on the Empire as unknowably irreconcilably evil. Or, at least, Saw does, as seen when he questions Jyn about why she's come to him so coincidentally quickly after Bodhi did.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

What a ridiculously loving awful week for this family.

I instantly thought about Billie Lourd :(

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Zeris posted:

It's rebel-vader's analogue to Empire-vader's Imperial torture droid deployment on an uppity prisoner. The difference is that secrets in ANH aren't exposed because they're righteous: Leia gives up nothing to the droid, and only names Dantooine when Alderaan is threatened. Bodhi spills his guts, presumably, to the hentai monster.

Ironically, the Empire doesn't care about Dantooine because they planned to destroy Alderaan anyway, and Saw's rebels don't care about Bodhi's sincerity as a defector because they plan to be paranoid extremists anyway, and acknowledging that Bodhi might be well-intentioned pokes a tiny hole in their take on the Empire as unknowably irreconcilably evil. Or, at least, Saw does, as seen when he questions Jyn about why she's come to him so coincidentally quickly after Bodhi did.

Right idea, wrong direction. Jabba's palace was a droid leather club. Saw's tentacle mind rape creature was more masturbatory. As a big time proponent of Project Monarch, Disney knows all about the power of sexual magic.

Better than Lucas, who was an excited but ultimately amateur practitioner.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Shbobdb posted:

Right idea, wrong direction. Jabba's palace was a droid leather club. Saw's tentacle mind rape creature was more masturbatory. As a big time proponent of Project Monarch, Disney knows all about the power of sexual magic.

That makes Jyn's adjustment of the comm tower tip dish all the more provocative

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

You figuratively and literally have a hate boner for George Lucas.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Zeris posted:

That makes Jyn's adjustment of the comm tower tip dish all the more provocative

For all of Lucas's garish vaginal imagery in the Prequels, Disney has more experience in the area of psychosocial manipulation. What do you expect?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Shbobdb posted:

This kind of reminds me of the Dilbert guy's election blog.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

General Dog posted:

This kind of reminds me of the Dilbert guy's election blog.

Unsurprisingly, Dilbert Guy also believes in sexual magic. Equally unsurprising is the fact that he's not good at it and misses the point.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Shbobdb posted:

Unsurprisingly, Dilbert Guy also believes in sexual magic. Equally unsurprising is the fact that he's not good at it and misses the point.

Well, he talks a lot about powers of persuasion, which I guess is effectively the same thing.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

General Dog posted:

Well, he talks a lot about powers of persuasion, which I guess is effectively the same thing.

His understanding of "master hypnotist" is a naive attempt to overstand but he's still trying to understand, which is why he'll never be transcendent.

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

Mecha Gojira posted:

Remember, we're talking about a group that calls themselves the Alliance to Restore the Republic,

I'm down with everything you said but I've always hated this. It's never actually called that in the movies, and I've really only seen it as part of Expanded Universe and Wookieepedia shenanigans. I can't remember, is it in one of the scripts somewhere?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Soggy Cereal posted:

I'm down with everything you said but I've always hated this. It's never actually called that in the movies, and I've really only seen it as part of Expanded Universe and Wookieepedia shenanigans. I can't remember, is it in one of the scripts somewhere?

I actually had to do a little digging and it looks like it appeared in one of the last revisions of the 1976 script. I don't have the novelization on hand, but I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up in there too.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Mecha Gojira posted:

I actually had to do a little digging and it looks like it appeared in one of the last revisions of the 1976 script. I don't have the novelization on hand, but I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up in there too.

So, only in trash sources, is what you are saying?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

You can do different things in animation than with actors.

General Grievous is an animated character in the movie too.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Grevious is Lucas's hamfisted tribute to the victims of AIDS.

A proud droid who got sick and then was killed by uncivilized means.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shbobdb posted:

Grevious is Lucas's hamfisted tribute to the victims of AIDS.

A proud droid who got sick and then was killed by uncivilized means.

This gimmick of yours is becoming remarkably tasteless remarkably quickly.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Schwarzwald posted:

This gimmick of yours is becoming remarkably tasteless remarkably quickly.

Check my rap sheet. If there is one thing I'm genuine about it's sexual magic. That Lucas gets it wrong in offensive ways is distinct from sexual magic being real. Lucas getting is so deeply wrong is part of why I don't much care for the later works of George Lucas.

Edit: To be clear, it is not my fault that George Lucas hates gay people because they are anti-life. That is not reflective of my views. However, it is all over Star Wars so you can't really separate it from the mix.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 29, 2016

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Shbobdb posted:

So, only in trash sources, is what you are saying?

Trash, but about as "official" as it gets outside of the movies themselves. Still something that "official" sources listed as the "actual name" for so many years.

Ewok is never actually said in the film Return of the Jedi.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Mecha Gojira posted:

Trash, but about as "official" as it gets outside of the movies themselves. Still something that "official" sources listed as the "actual name" for so many years.

Ewok is never actually said in the film Return of the Jedi.

Everybody bought the toys. Ewok is on the toys. Nobody gives a gently caress about the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shbobdb posted:

Check my rap sheet... genuine about it's sexual magic.

lol, your over-inflated ego has really made you a loving weirdo who projects your own warped reality on anything you comment on.

"Check my rap sheet." Jesus Christ how pathetic.

• Locked thread