Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Moe_Rahn posted:

If you look waaaay back in the thread, you can find my posts about a long-term sim in OOTP 12 where Adam Dunn turns into the King of Baseball. I should do that again sometime.

Weirdly that happened to me in an old baseball mogul sim (like 2008??) I was always obsessed with Adam Dunn because I just found him hilarious, so I traded for him and out of nowhere he proceeded to become a .300 hitter who would walk 200 times a year. At the time I traded for him he was his usual "hit .230, walk a bunch and strike out even more" type of hitter, and he did that for a couple of years for me and then the light came on. It was weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

bewbies posted:

You have two choices for how historical players develop: one is they basically take the historical stats for each season, set up each players production for that season based on what he did historically, and sim it out for that year. So like, 1961 Roger Maris' power is through the roof for that year, but they fall off...abruptly after that, because that's what he did historically. The relief pitcher thing is handled in the same way, like Dennis Eckersley's scouting report will show him as a top notch starter in 1985, and then he'll suddenly turn into a reliever in 1986. I personally find this approach pretty dull as you know EXACTLY when a player is going to break out, or alternatively fall off, etc.

The other way to do it is they feed in a "career potential" kind of setup when the player is built, and they get thrown into the game, and the game engine just takes over from there. So, like George Brett gets put into the game in 1970-something, and starts with the potential to be a .390/.454/.664 hitter eventually. He'll then develop just like any other player...might get to .390 territory, might not....might be even better. This is a lot more fun as you can kind of see "what ifs" based on player talent level but with them in different situations, different injury histories, etc. You can turn up the randomness too, so they'll get more (or bigger) bumps or hits to their ability and thus you'll have even more variation.

I did a complete computer sim of all baseball history using this on a previous OOTP and the results were pretty cool...Babe Ruth hit like 800 HRs, Ted Williams sucked, Roger Clemens didn't even make the majors, etc.

Second option sounds better for me, thanks. I assume that Ruth and Musial start with high hitting potential in spite of starting as pitchers right? (Not sure if it's like that in vanilla for Musial, it was in Spritze's DB).

Got two more questions, one of which is about your current game

1) What can I do to decrease the loeading/simulation time of fiction leagues? I set up a 2 sub league, 2 division league with 8 teams in 8. I'm pretty sure it's the fact that I have minors down to the rookie league along with the region of my league being set to the entire world. Not sure if that's true for the latter.

2)How many of Trout's walks later in his career were intentional? That 178 walk season really jumps out at me.

IcePhoenix posted:

Seeing these posts inspired me to pick back up my Twins franchise that I started a while back while I watch the playoffs. This just happened:

hmm

What are his stats?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dreamsicle posted:

What are his stats?

Pay less attention to the who and more to his quote and the box score.

Though to answer your question, he's really good (and I just lost him to FA last night :()

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

Pay less attention to the who and more to his quote and the box score.

Though to answer your question, he's really good (and I just lost him to FA last night :()

Oh I'm aware of Berrios. I was just wondering if this was just him getting lucky or if he actually got good.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dreamsicle posted:

Oh I'm aware of Berrios. I was just wondering if this was just him getting lucky or if he actually got good.

He talks about the ninth inning but if you look at the box score you can see the game ended in the sixth (and it was actually called in the top of the inning so he only pitched five innings)

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Oh poo poo I didn't catch that. When I saw 8-0 my mind just assummed it went to 9 innings.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I did the same thing, I only noticed when I went to check his line and saw he had 5 IP

I'll post some fun player profiles when I play tonight.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
OOTP17 is on sale for $9.99.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Is there anything worthwhile on Android? I tried MLB Manager 16, which appears to be the mobile OOTP port formerly known as iOOTP. The screen size and performance were pretty bearable, and I thought the mindless tap-tap-tap nature of mobile games really worked pretty well for the in-game simulation. Problem is it was riddled with unforgivable bugs -- changes you made on lineup screens would often just disappear, sometimes days or an entire week of progress would be lost after you autosaved and exited (occasionally a game's outcome wouldn't be recorded, but your starting pitcher would still be fatigued), and the rate-and-review nag screen asked how you liked iOOTP '14.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Can someone with OOTP17 do me a quick favour? My hard drive hosed up because of some bad blocks while I was playing yesterday. Had to hard reset. Once I'd sorted everything out I loaded OOTP back up and now my Manager's Office screen has Your Next Game as each of the 15 squares. Verifying game integrity didn't sort it out. Any chance someone could quickly take a screenshot of the default setup so I can fix it manually? Cheers

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Allyn posted:

Can someone with OOTP17 do me a quick favour? My hard drive hosed up because of some bad blocks while I was playing yesterday. Had to hard reset. Once I'd sorted everything out I loaded OOTP back up and now my Manager's Office screen has Your Next Game as each of the 15 squares. Verifying game integrity didn't sort it out. Any chance someone could quickly take a screenshot of the default setup so I can fix it manually? Cheers
Only change I made is swapping out the center block from "Personal Info" I think?

My team is extremely bad.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Just got this game on sale. Time to boot up a fantasy draft so I can try to build world class pitching in Colorado

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Whats the story on their Gridiron manager? Is it still in development

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

IIRC the original programmer had a stroke & now they have a new one, but release got pushed back to sometime late next year.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Is the hockey one good?

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
I just bought the latest version(FHM) the other day. It's alright so far. No where near as deep/customizable as OOTP though.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Year 3 of my Rockies franchise and my core of Syndergaard/Darvish/Maeda/Price/Tanaka is going strong. Too bad I can't find a closer worth a poo poo :argh:

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Doltos posted:

Year 3 of my Rockies franchise and my core of Syndergaard/Darvish/Maeda/Price/Tanaka is going strong. Too bad I can't find a closer worth a poo poo :argh:

How much would it cost to sign Chapman or Britton? When do their contracts expire?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Doltos posted:

I've played 3 or 4 different teams in OOTP for the better part of a decade each and Darvish is almost always going down with something ridiculous. One year he broke his leg, once he broke his scapula (somehow!), I think I only ever had one full season with him. He was lights-out that one season, but most of the time I just wish his contract went to a better 3rd baseman or something similar.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

AlbertFlasher posted:

I just bought the latest version(FHM) the other day. It's alright so far. No where near as deep/customizable as OOTP though.

I didn't get it because I checked the message boards and there were lots of complaints about bugs and other issues. That doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable for people who aren't into what it does, though. I just don't know enough about hockey to understand where the game might be getting in the way of itself.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
Yea its pretty buggy and seems just really lackluster for the 3rd version of the game too. Lots of UI bugs and I can't even play "Path to Glory" without it crashing on Sept. 1st. The sandbox mode works fine though.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

AlbertFlasher posted:

Yea its pretty buggy and seems just really lackluster for the 3rd version of the game too. Lots of UI bugs and I can't even play "Path to Glory" without it crashing on Sept. 1st. The sandbox mode works fine though.

It just seems like they're asking us to pay full price for a game that is half finished. If it were cheap, I wouldn't have a problem.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Is there a way to reset historical stats when starting a game or to choose a period of time to reset them?

I want to start a new modern game and would enjoy erasing stats from pre expansion. Wanna give new players opportunities to get historical numbers.

Would the easiest thing be like starting from the year I want to start from and simming until when I want to start and then taking over from there?

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
You can create a historical league and import 2015 and de-select the option to import history up to 2015.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

OOTP 17 is part of the $1 tier of the new humble bundle, in case anyone was on the fence about it:

https://www.humblebundle.com

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Just picked up OOTP17 and I'm playing as the 1998 Devil Rays. Is there a way to not have the game stop simulating when the computer tries to trade a minor league lifer RF for Wade Boggs?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Luigi Thirty posted:

Just picked up OOTP17 and I'm playing as the 1998 Devil Rays. Is there a way to not have the game stop simulating when the computer tries to trade a minor league lifer RF for Wade Boggs?

Turn off the setting that stops the sim when you get a trade offer or put Boggs on the Untouchable list

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

My brother got me OOTP 17 for Christmas and holy hell this is addictive.

But I still can't make the World Series, even with a rotation of Kershaw/Strasburg/Lester/Arrieta/Quintana and 2-5 in my batting order being Bryant/Rizzo/Stanton/Schwarber :negative:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

My brother got me OOTP 17 for Christmas and holy hell this is addictive.

But I still can't make the World Series, even with a rotation of Kershaw/Strasburg/Lester/Arrieta/Quintana and 2-5 in my batting order being Bryant/Rizzo/Stanton/Schwarber :negative:

Is your manager Maddon? Unorthodox managers never really worked for me. In 16 I ended up in the Series twice and won it once after changing a lot of organizational managing strategy, especially in regard to bullpen management. If you get a sabermetrics guy and then set a decent strategy, then you usually end up with pen calls where you need them instead of literally ASAP.

Also be prepared for the playoffs to be a crapshoot. Especially for Lester, who I hear doesn't throw to first.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The more I play this game the more I feel like it's completely random. You can build super teams that just fall apart and sign guys that turn in stats that are completely opposite of what their scouted ratings are.

Like I'll have a guy who has huge home run power and no eye/contact and will easily produce a .320 average with great on base. Just doesn't make sense.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Doltos posted:

The more I play this game the more I feel like it's completely random. You can build super teams that just fall apart and sign guys that turn in stats that are completely opposite of what their scouted ratings are.

Like I'll have a guy who has huge home run power and no eye/contact and will easily produce a .320 average with great on base. Just doesn't make sense.

Get better scouts.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

rickiep00h posted:

Get better scouts.

You can sign the best scouts the game has to offer from the Taiwan and Korean leagues and get the same result. I've signed guys that have had career .270+ years every year that immediately go down to .220 the second they're on my team (which has top tier coaches too). You can build obvious super teams of Kershaw/Scherzer/Sale and have 4.00 eras. You can have a 1-4 of Trout/Harper/Goldschmidt/Stanton and finish randomly on runs and HRs, sometimes leading the league and sometimes falling to last place. You can reload your save, run the season, and have drastically different results.

Just feels too random.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Doltos posted:

You can sign the best scouts the game has to offer from the Taiwan and Korean leagues and get the same result. I've signed guys that have had career .270+ years every year that immediately go down to .220 the second they're on my team (which has top tier coaches too). You can build obvious super teams of Kershaw/Scherzer/Sale and have 4.00 eras. You can have a 1-4 of Trout/Harper/Goldschmidt/Stanton and finish randomly on runs and HRs, sometimes leading the league and sometimes falling to last place. You can reload your save, run the season, and have drastically different results.

Just feels too random.

Welcome to baseball fandom

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The '98 Devil Rays lost 110 games and my payroll budget got cut in half :( but it's fun as hell! Randy Winn batted .300 after I called him up in June so there's something we can work with at least. And Aubrey Huff is ready to replace Wade Boggs, who I can't afford to re-sign. '99 is our year!

I mainly want to be the cool wheeling and dealing GM and leave the day-to-day lineups and pitching decisions to an AI manager. Is it smart enough to do that if I switch to GM-only mode? I've played tons of FM so I know assmen are not to be trusted.

My whole team had Angry morale all season because they were in the gutter. I don't know how to fix that but it definitely contributed to the pitching being the worst in the league by far.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Turn off scouts to begin with if you are being owned. Eventually you will get the knack for building dominant dynasties and can turn them back on for that real life fuzzy randomness scouts give you.

Also set notifications to off for trades and injuries to 2 weeks or more. You don't lose much if you just play a bench guy for 2 weeks and it isn't worth the hassle for bringing up a AAA guy.

Also in terms of GM only mode it works but if you wanna hand manage prospects by giving them games every 5 days or lead off with your eye 20 walk machine then you need to do it manually, but that's just a power gaming thing I guess.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 29, 2016

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The biggest problem I have so far with OOTP is the insanely high frequency of injuries on the default setting, which apparently is one level below the "realistic" setting. I was having 2-3 players getting injured during every offseason and another 2-3 would get severe (2-months or longer) injuries during spring training. Then once the season started, I'd lose at least 2 starters and one position player for the season alongside countless 1-to-4-week injuries. I had to turn the injury frequency down to low it was getting so infuriating. My teams were making the 2016 Dodgers look like the healthiest team that ever existed.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The biggest problem I have so far with OOTP is the insanely high frequency of injuries on the default setting, which apparently is one level below the "realistic" setting. I was having 2-3 players getting injured during every offseason and another 2-3 would get severe (2-months or longer) injuries during spring training. Then once the season started, I'd lose at least 2 starters and one position player for the season alongside countless 1-to-4-week injuries. I had to turn the injury frequency down to low it was getting so infuriating. My teams were making the 2016 Dodgers look like the healthiest team that ever existed.

You should have seen the complaints back in the day when the default was realistic. :allears:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

algebra testes posted:

lead off with your eye 20 walk machine

I was really confused by this until I realized you probably don't use the 20-80 scale

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I kind of feel the "low" injury setting is a little too low. I would imagine that somewhere between "low" and the default setting would be just perfect for injuries.

I like to manage my minor leagues, so on the default setting I have to deal with injuries every few days :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think the injuries are fine and add a bit of fun to the game too. That way you're not sitting on unbeatable teams that are stagnating. I like having to desperately find a replacement for my ace pitcher or losing a freshly signed guy to a year injury.

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Welcome to baseball fandom

I get the randomness of baseball but the extremes are unrealistic in this game. I think it's safe to say that certain pro players have consistently proven themselves in real life enough to assume that they'd absolutely mash the league if you lined them up 1-4. They shouldn't all be finishing with either .220 averages or .330 averages. Also if a scout tells me a guy is a great contact hitter, his stats tell me he's a great contact hitter, and he gets to my team and puts up a .200 average, I'm going to be a little miffed and feel cheated.

I'm just saying they could have tightened up the extremes because right now it just feels like nothing I do in this game really matters.

• Locked thread