Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Arghy posted:

So does the dwarf just have no loving loot? all the other dudes are decked out in green items and the dwarf just got a loving 2h hammer. Dwarfs the best character but hes got no loving loot at all its so annoying.

The dwarf has more weapons than any other character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Not really Vermintide related per say but:

Death On Toast
Aug 2, 2006
The better half of the Brothers Douche.

NeurosisHead posted:

Which of the Drachenfels maps is best for quick completions? ... I want that volley bow real bad.

note that the volley bow can only appear as blue quality and above, so you should be running at least on hard and at least getting tomes and a grim.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Death On Toast posted:

note that the volley bow can only appear as blue quality and above, so you should be running at least on hard and at least getting tomes and a grim.

There are whites, greens, blues, oranges, and reds of every item.

Except the Volleybow. For some reason. And the Drakefires.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 27, 2016

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

So, I just got this installed... and it runs at like 1 frame per second. Even the intro video. I've tried fussing with the settings, but I can't seem to get it to change. Is there something I need to dig into a .ini file to change or something?

Even on lowest it's completely unplayable.

//edit

Apparently, you have to restart after installing Vermintide. For reasons. Go figure!

Relentless fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Dec 27, 2016

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Relentless posted:

So, I just got this installed... and it runs at like 1 frame per second. Even the intro video. I've tried fussing with the settings, but I can't seem to get it to change. Is there something I need to dig into a .ini file to change or something?

Even on lowest it's completely unplayable.

//edit

Apparently, you have to restart after installing Vermintide. For reasons. Go figure!

I just booted it up and it was running at 1 fps. Was fine all weekend. I wonder if there's a thing going on.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i've been having some dumbass problems with Steam, basically after running Steam for long enough everything runs at <10 FPS until i restart steam

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
What's the most useful wizard staff?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
depends on what you want to do.

if you're more interested in killing as many rats as possible, fireball, with conflag being a decent second.
if you're more interested in killing SPECIFIC rats as QUICKLY as possible, bolt, with beam being a mediocre consolation prize.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Tonight a rat literally just phased out after another tanked an axe hit and a push during its attack animation. I only had 70 ping too :shrug:

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

This is really fun but gently caress RNG jesus, with the dwarven trinket and multiple runs i finally got a dwarven drop on the 14th nightmare run. My other characters have yellow equipment its loving hilarious while my dwarf has to make do with his shotgun and finally a blue hammer.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I kicked someone from my game for using the wall jump to bypass the final event in Cursed Rune now he thinks it will auto kick you for doing it. Mission accomplished :smugissar:

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

NeurosisHead posted:

I just booted it up and it was running at 1 fps. Was fine all weekend. I wonder if there's a thing going on.

Weeeeeird.

So, I've cleared all the basic missions besides The White Rat on Normal or Hard now, and I think I could spend some time on this.

Are either of the paid DLC map packs particularly worth it? When do goons play? And which of the 3 CTS options are actually used?

Oh, there's a steam group too. Somebody want to add me?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/RelentlessSA/

Relentless fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 28, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I like both the DLCs really, but Karak Azgaraz is definitely the better of the two. The snowy mountain areas and the dwarf hold and all that are just very neat environments for killing rat-men.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Panfilo posted:

What's the most useful wizard staff?

bolt or beam

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I was impressed with that orange mace from the bounty board that came with Bloodlust, Earthing Rune, and Berserking. If it didn't have a vertical strike on its first swing I'd probably use it all the time.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

It's the mace moveset just backwards for some unholy reason. Bonk, uppercut, swings.

Get a regular sword with Bloodlust, Berserking, and Earthing Rune (Normal) and never care about melee again on Sienna.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The regular sword has the worst normal attack according to the bars. But they haven't been changed to reflect things.

You can skip the bonk by pushing

Goatschach
Dec 25, 2006

Who watches the goatman?

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Tonight a rat literally just phased out after another tanked an axe hit and a push during its attack animation. I only had 70 ping too :shrug:

It's been a while since I played, but when I did I noticed that weapons with instant kill attributes would just *bonk* enemies out of existence. No death animation or anything, they'd just disappear when the % to instant kill procced.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

No one was attacking it which is why I freaked out

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That doesn't happen anymore. There is a deep bass sound and a lot of blood but they don't just disappear

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

2h hammer is loving amazing on the dwarf its just non stop flying rats--wish i rolled regrowth on charged attack though. Going to just make do until i get enough keys for the gold/yellow 2h hammer then reroll that until i get regrowth on charged attack.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Can I get an invite to the steamgroup?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/insanityv2

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Arghy posted:

2h hammer is loving amazing on the dwarf its just non stop flying rats--wish i rolled regrowth on charged attack though. Going to just make do until i get enough keys for the gold/yellow 2h hammer then reroll that until i get regrowth on charged attack.

Regrowth (Charged) is really bad, you have a 3% chance at maximum to restore health. Unlike the shield you can roll multiple times in one swing, but 3% is astronomically low and you'd be better of bringing Heroic Killing Blow, which can also proc on multiple enemies in a swing.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Arghy posted:

You want bloodlust on that thing. Regrowth is almost useless at 3%.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Whats a good healing item to shoot for? I deffo want one at least for last stand because no healing is brutal. Whats the best way to deal with rat ogres? so far its just a chaotic mess as everyone tries their best to survive.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Arghy posted:

Whats a good healing item to shoot for? I deffo want one at least for last stand because no healing is brutal. Whats the best way to deal with rat ogres? so far its just a chaotic mess as everyone tries their best to survive.

Dodge. A lot. Dodge backwards, specifically, while blocking. If he's paying attention to you, bop him once with your light attack then immediately dodge back while blocking. If he does one of his unblockables the dodge will move you far enough back to avoid it, if he does the lunging swipe the block will stop it and you'll get flung. Also: The real threat with Roger is all the other rats that spawn. Someone on your team needs to deal with them or you'll dodge back only to find yourself surrounded by clanrats and murdered.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bloodlust.

If you ever don't know what traits are good on a weapon, bloodlust/perfect balance is never the wrong choice. IMO shields are the one and only kind of weapon that makes perfect balance superfluous.

If you're at the point where you have more orange ore than you have important things to do with it, then you can shoot for regrowth normal and one of the really good traits that can't appear with bloodlust (scavenger, killing blow, berserking). Off the top of my head I can't think of a single weapon which benefits from regrowth charged over regrowth normal.

This is my rat ogre tips

Digirat posted:

The easiest way to kill roger is to shut him down with bullshit fast enough that it doesn't actually matter whether you're good at fighting him or not. To shut him down quickly:
  • Strength potions are the key. Save strength potions for roger unless you have to fight a stormvermin patrol or are otherwise in a do-or-die emergency.
  • The hagbane is the #1 roger killer in the game (addendum: the volley crossbow is #2). If the elf has the hagbane and a strength potion, just get out of her way and focus on keeping normal rats off of her for 10 seconds (or the witch hunter with the volley crossbow and for gently caress's sake do not hit them with a firebomb, it will ruin their aim).
  • Someone with the potion-share trinket using a strength potion, then everyone throwing bombs, makes for a good alpha strike.
  • Heroic killing blow + a speed potion gives you a decent shot at instakilling him, although it's reliant on luck so don't expect it to work every time.
  • If roger is in an enclosed space like a narrow tunnel and gets hit with a regular bomb, the game doesn't always know where to knock him back and he'll instantly die. Firebombs don't knock him over so only try this with normal bombs.

If none of these conditions apply (like if you have no hagbane and roger attacked 1 minute into the game before you have any items) then dig in for the long haul:
  • Fight somewhere where you have a lot of room to maneuver.
  • Prioritize killing normal rats and specials over hitting roger.
  • Roger has a sweep/punch that can be blocked, and an overhead slam that can not be blocked. If he's going after you, just focus on staying alive by holding block and dashing backward. Don't go for greedy hits and prioritize getting rid of normal rats that will get in the way of your maneuver zone before hitting roger. Only go for hits in between his attacks if there are no other rats nearby.
  • Bomb throws can be staggered to keep roger on the ground for a long time.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 29, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What the hell is the elf saying when it sounds like "Ay-noy-noy!"

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What the hell is the elf saying when it sounds like "Ay-noy-noy!"

I was thinking that too

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
sounds like counting to me

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

What's better dps for the rat ogres with the bolt staff? Primary fire, quick alt fire or a full charged flame javelin?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Fully charging it is the only way you're going to do noticeable damage to it, and if you hit his head

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

The best thing was when a roger knocked me off that ridge in the beacon map flinging me all the way to the bottom in middle of 2 loving gutter rats and 1 packmaster it was absurd haha. Oh getting a storm patrol down a narrow path then having 2 gutter runners jump you right in their path as you try to retreat out of the way was goddamn bullshit.

Hilariously though sackrats are the biggest danger because everyone tries to kill it and the whole party gets worked when you ignore the other rats.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

If anybody cares I took 5 seconds to confirm the reason why Shield weapons can only proc Charged Attack perk procs once: it does indeed count all other targets hit as a push rather than an attack which could proc it multiple times.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Arghy posted:

Hilariously though sackrats are the biggest danger because everyone tries to kill it and the whole party gets worked when you ignore the other rats.
Good to see people are reading the loading-screen tips :v:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

It's going to be a great day when I see someone interpret that line Kruber says a lot now about ducking under the Packmaster hook as a genuine strategy.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Lunethex posted:

If anybody cares I took 5 seconds to confirm the reason why Shield weapons can only proc Charged Attack perk procs once: it does indeed count all other targets hit as a push rather than an attack which could proc it multiple times.

Makes sense. Other attacks don't move them back

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Lunethex posted:

Fully charging it is the only way you're going to do noticeable damage to it, and if you hit his head

I've found enemy hp values pretty easily, but it'd be nice to know how much damage I'm actually doing. Does that exist anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
This game is fun so far but I want to play through easy with bots so I can familiarize myself with the levels. Is there anyway to keep other players from joining my games?

• Locked thread