Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Why are these new pokemon so slow? I don't think I've seen so many pokemon get slower when they evolve since they added all those previous gen evolutions in gen4.

I mean seriously, why is this

slower than this?

I mean Vikavolt looks fast, but it doesn't even top 60. Also it's really dumb that Incinroar gets slower when it evolves. I mean it kind of makes sense visually, since he's a biped who skipped leg day but from a gameplay perspective it's cruel to do a bait and switch with a starter like that. And none of the starters go past 100 what gives?

Vikavolt's a railgun with legs and it takes time to charge its shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ruggington posted:

how do you not get stomped by a guy with a custom goku sprite

he's the owner of smogon and i think every mod was watching

that was when i spiked to the top 20 or so of XY ubers (out of what, like, maybe 300 people who actually play ubers? :negative:)

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Found a shiny Ditto yesterday while I was out hunting for dittos with different natures! First shiny ever so I kept panicking when it would SOS another one and triple-checked that I was killing the right one.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So does Bruxish actually exist as a catchable thing or what? He doesn't seem to show up as an SOS, serebii be damned, and 1% fishing chance at bubbling spots is torture.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So does Bruxish actually exist as a catchable thing or what? He doesn't seem to show up as an SOS, serebii be damned, and 1% fishing chance at bubbling spots is torture.

it's like 20 percent at bubbling spots.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

you could also just try trading version exclusives- I've had good luck trading away vullabies, orangurus, and petils for some of the harder to catch ones.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

it's like 20 percent at bubbling spots.

the earliest you can get it is 1% but later you can get it at 20% iirc

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Pikachu's unique Z-power involves it jumping into the arms of the trainer and then being personally hurled by the trainer toward the opposing Pokemon. I feel like this is a rules violation.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I just traded for basically all the rare fishing pokemon. gently caress that.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

leftist heap posted:

I just traded for basically all the rare fishing pokemon. gently caress that.

I fished them all!!!! including fuckign feebas :suicide:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I got Feebas myself, as it's spots are close to a map boundary. Bred them to get all the others.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

I fished them all!!!! including fuckign feebas :suicide:

Speaking of which, where is the person who wants you to show them a feebas? I went and finally caught one and forgot where the person was.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

hangedman1984 posted:

Speaking of which, where is the person who wants you to show them a feebas? I went and finally caught one and forgot where the person was.

The center by the trial.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I'm a pokemon diletantte so why is castform such a big deal? Just looks like a happy blob with titties to me.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

NLJP posted:

I'm a pokemon diletantte so why is castform such a big deal? Just looks like a happy blob with titties to me.

It's rare and hard to get, that's all there is to it.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

NLJP posted:

It's hard to find if you don't know how. Those that have one can breed it and trade the offspring for almost whatever they want.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I still can't believe how many people insist on manually catching all this game's pain in the rear end rare Pokémon. If you have a compatible router, just use the GTS and save yourself a ton of time and suffering! :(

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I'm pretty sure that the GTS trick doesn't work in SuMo.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
If you by "the GTS trick" mean the one where you get a Castform from a goon, breed 100 of them and trade them for literally every Pokemon you need, then yes, that definitely works in SuMo.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

tyblazitar posted:

If you by "the GTS trick" mean the one where you get a Castform from a goon, breed 100 of them and trade them for literally every Pokemon you need, then yes, that definitely works in SuMo.

Oh, I meant the one where you'd gently caress with your 3DS's DNS settings to treat your computer as the "GTS" and run a program to get anything you wanted as a Mystery Gift.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
I can't take it anymore. I just. i just have to say it.

I miss riding bikes. I miss cycling so bad.

I don't miss HM moves, but I miss being able to ride my own drat pokemon (even if it sprited into another in the overworld) and being able to without having to wear a stupid outfit. I miss being able to fish where I wanted to, and I miss multiple rods such that I could be guaranteed to not having to loving see magikarp all the drat time. But mostly, mostly I miss bike riding the most. Granted, I'm not overly fond of any bicycle theme past gen 3, but that's probably nostalgia, and regardless, I've been curiously finding myself not overwhelmed with awesome background music in sumo, so something I could reliably have with a driving beat and identifiable and catchy melody would be nice.

also (are we still spoilering story stuff?) Professor Burnet why are you still talking about seeing yourself in mirrors there was these HUGE gently caress OFF PORTALS with pokemon appearing everywhere isn't that like your job or something I had come to see what you had to say about this new development and nothing. I can't even tell you about it, and I was right there. I can get not wanting to animate the player character's face ever but this is just extra lines of text, come on.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

E-flat posted:

I can't take it anymore. I just. i just have to say it.

I miss riding bikes. I miss cycling so bad.

I don't miss HM moves, but I miss being able to ride my own drat pokemon (even if it sprited into another in the overworld) and being able to without having to wear a stupid outfit. I miss being able to fish where I wanted to, and I miss multiple rods such that I could be guaranteed to not having to loving see magikarp all the drat time. But mostly, mostly I miss bike riding the most. Granted, I'm not overly fond of any bicycle theme past gen 3, but that's probably nostalgia, and regardless, I've been curiously finding myself not overwhelmed with awesome background music in sumo, so something I could reliably have with a driving beat and identifiable and catchy melody would be nice.

also (are we still spoilering story stuff?) Professor Burnet why are you still talking about seeing yourself in mirrors there was these HUGE gently caress OFF PORTALS with pokemon appearing everywhere isn't that like your job or something I had come to see what you had to say about this new development and nothing. I can't even tell you about it, and I was right there. I can get not wanting to animate the player character's face ever but this is just extra lines of text, come on.

*moves to a seat in another row*

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I wish most flying types weren't actually flying in their animations. They almost all looked way cooler in their Sprite forms.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

JackDarko posted:

I wish most flying types weren't actually flying in their animations. They almost all looked way cooler in their Sprite forms.

Politely disagree. I really like that they're actually flying now. I especially like how, how hard they flap their wings corresponds to how much hp they have left. I am totally with that dude on his fishing gripes though. Fishing suuuuuccckkkks this gen.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I too miss having two rods that are absolute unusable trash

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Honestly most of the flying looks good.

The only ones really worse are Xatu(no :(), Skarmory(awkward as hell), Salamence, Tailow and Swellow (christ they phoned them in).

And I fuckin dare you to tell me Archeops, Elecktross and Yanma weren't made way better because of their models :colbert:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

I too miss having two rods that are absolute unusable trash

on the one hand, you're right

on the other hand, now we have one rod that only gets you magikarp so it's like you're trapped in that hell forever

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
So I have a Popplio up on the GTS for a Litten, how will I know when the trade has been made? Do I just have to check in, or will it notify me?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Sky Shadowing posted:

So I have a Popplio up on the GTS for a Litten, how will I know when the trade has been made? Do I just have to check in, or will it notify me?

Have to check it manually.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Manatee Cannon posted:

on the other hand, now we have one rod that only gets you magikarp so it's like you're trapped in that hell forever

Better than having two that only get Magikarp. If you're fishing on bubbly rocks then you usually get something better than the 'karp IME

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if they needed to have one rod, they should have just made it the super rod and not the old rod that can turn into the good rod if you can get to a bubbling spot in time

alternatively, the fishing in pokemon sucks and I hate it

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Manatee Cannon posted:

Out of the two necessary evils, I'll take the one with less magikarp. It's like we only have the Good Rod now--"60%+ chance of magikarp, but with a chance for something good"

Manatee Cannon posted:

if they needed to have one rod, they should have just made it the super rod and not the old rod that can turn into the good rod if you can get to a bubbling spot in time

alternatively, the fishing in pokemon sucks and I hate it
MY MAN

The player character explaining to the tourist in Malie City about "yeah we're not allowed to Fly anywhere we use Ride Charizard" was kinda neat in a metatextual way in that it made me go 'oh, yeah, they'd probably want to regulate travel between/to/from the islands like real hawaii since they've also been talking about invasive pokemon species in alola' but then it just brought up the question why is it charizard; that line isn't in the alola dex. Why not just use a pokemon with the ability to fly that can actually be found in alola like the rest of the ride pokemon. now i have another thing to sperg about :allears:

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Zore posted:

Honestly most of the flying looks good.

The only ones really worse are Xatu(no :(), Skarmory(awkward as hell), Salamence, Tailow and Swellow (christ they phoned them in).

And I fuckin dare you to tell me Archeops, Elecktross and Yanma weren't made way better because of their models :colbert:

I'm so sad about Xatu. Ruined by a battle type that no one liked and will never see the light of day again.

Purrlion is another one that needs to change. Sit, cat, sit!

dungeon cousin fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 29, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
fishing in pokemon has always felt weird to me because like, youre hooking them in the mouth before beating them up. that feels needlessly cruel.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Countblanc posted:

fishing in pokemon has always felt weird to me because like, youre hooking them in the mouth before beating them up. that feels needlessly cruel.

next pokemon fishing game will be the boss fight against the lake monster in resident evil 4

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
If you don't consider being lovingly cradled between a Machamps biceps to be the pinnacle of poke transportation, then I just don't know what to tell you.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
If they wanted to give us one rod, they should've made all the water fishable. Then have the spots offer something slightly better (good rod stuff) and bubbly spots with rare stuff (super rod). They could've also gave us another money sink in mount options (50-100k to switch your Charizard to Braviary or Mandibuzz).

Like every gen. GF just doesn't seem to put much thought into certain aspects of the game. Like how smart strike or whatever it is called is barely learned by any pokemon in Alola. Or Pallosand and Bewear got pretty bad versions of similar abilities (sap sipper or furcoat). Let alone the speed reduction of the gen. However that could be an excuse to promote trickroom- BUT then they don't do anything to help trick room along like an item ala heat rock/smooth stone.

I had more but I'll leave it at: stupid GameFreak.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

cancerianmoth posted:

BUT then they don't do anything to help trick room along like an item ala heat rock/smooth stone.

Yeah, Trick Room definitely got nothing to hel--

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Also everything about the Festival Plaza.

Pelago's nice, though. Get in some EV training while I'm asleep or at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

cancerianmoth posted:

If they wanted to give us one rod, they should've made all the water fishable. Then have the spots offer something slightly better (good rod stuff) and bubbly spots with rare stuff (super rod). They could've also gave us another money sink in mount options (50-100k to switch your Charizard to Braviary or Mandibuzz).

Like every gen. GF just doesn't seem to put much thought into certain aspects of the game. Like how smart strike or whatever it is called is barely learned by any pokemon in Alola. Or Pallosand and Bewear got pretty bad versions of similar abilities (sap sipper or furcoat). Let alone the speed reduction of the gen. However that could be an excuse to promote trickroom- BUT then they don't do anything to help trick room along like an item ala heat rock/smooth stone.

I had more but I'll leave it at: stupid GameFreak.

Trick Room does not need any buffs. It's already a very powerful move as it is. An 8 turn Trick Room would be broken in doubles.