Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

I honestly wonder what would have happened/how quickly white America would stick their fingers in their ears going "LALALA RACISM IS OVER I CANT HEAR YOU LALALALA" if he would have said:

"I mean, you're black. I didn't know what else to do."

Just a bad apple, can't generalize, support our boys in blue etc etc

I mean this happens every time a police officer is found out to have sent racist text messages to somebody or is caught being actively goddamn racist on tape. It's just a bad apple. No I don't know how that saying continues, why do you ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Lighthearted and inoffensive LIBERAL INDOCTRINATION AT WORK

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Honestly the worst thing about that video to me, a white male, is that it's all fairly obvious stuff. But at this point I also understand the bar is fairly low for a lot of people.

And it leaves out LGBT issues, which imo is part and parcel of the race/sex discussion.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Coffee And Pie posted:

Honestly the worst thing about that video to me, a white male, is that it's all fairly obvious stuff. But at this point I also understand the bar is fairly low for a lot of people.

And it leaves out LGBT issues, which imo is part and parcel of the race/sex discussion.

It does sort of imply "you are a white male therefore you are dumb and entitled". Granted a ton of lovely people are white males. Hell I'm a white male, but I tend to be self aware enough to be non lovely about most subjects. But they're getting their point across is a pretty non offensive way to me.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Why are you posting this from The Tea Partiest channel

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Plom Bar posted:

MTV pulled the original, it seems, and most of the YouTube mirrors were posted by angry nerds who love the word 'cuck.' Managed to find a guy who just reuploaded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxrsbjlRHrM

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

botany posted:

Just a bad apple, can't generalize, support our boys in blue etc etc

I mean this happens every time a police officer is found out to have sent racist text messages to somebody or is caught being actively goddamn racist on tape. It's just a bad apple. No I don't know how that saying continues, why do you ask.
The thing is that "bad apple" doesn't refer to a lone problem doing its own thing.. Because a rotten apple spoils the entire barrel by spreading the rot.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

coyo7e posted:

The thing is that "bad apple" doesn't refer to a lone problem doing its own thing.. Because a rotten apple spoils the entire barrel by spreading the rot.

yeah, hence the last sentence of my post

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

coyo7e posted:

Much like a few poison skittles in a bowl?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
"Skittles" is a racist dogwhistle, so no.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

VideoTapir posted:

That's kinda the point, though. The right can't dismiss a few bad apples among police while still howling about the threat of a few bad apples among Syrian refugees.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
In reply to a tweet about an Old Navy ad featuring a multiracial family (just sitting there in coats)

<---Meat

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the whole nazi twitter thing has just entered some kind of uncanny valley thing to me

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I just wanna know why they're so certain that the person at far right isn't transgender.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

jivjov posted:

I just wanna know why they're so certain that the person at far right isn't transgender.

She looks p gender non-conforming to me. Especially with that butch haircut.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Defenestration posted:

In reply to a tweet about an Old Navy ad featuring a multiracial family (just sitting there in coats)

<---Meat

"<---White Baby"

:cawg:

Jesus, it's making it impossible for me to believe this isn't some kind of satire. Like, I know there are stupid, toxic people out there who believe that poo poo, but I just look at that label and start loving loosing it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Keeshhound posted:

"<---White Baby"

:cawg:

Jesus, it's making it impossible for me to believe this isn't some kind of satire. Like, I know there are stupid, toxic people out there who believe that poo poo, but I just look at that label and start loving loosing it.

Counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XYlJqf4dLI

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
hahaha

https://twitter.com/CidLives1/status/814116869997285376

conspiracies, dude

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This poo poo is making the rounds on my FB: https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhER0Qp6QJNU

It's Simon Sinek, a man whiter than sour cream, trying to re-enforce people's beliefs that millenials are lazy, entitled, socially awkward and addicted to tech. Who the gently caress is he? A motivational speaker of frankly little note. Do note he was born in the 70s so he's actually a Gen Xer, and that's assuming birth categories are actually worth a drat.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

VideoTapir posted:

Also, one "bad Skittle" wouldn't eventually cause all of the other Skittles to go rotten like an apple would.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

:laffo:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GoutPatrol posted:

Much like a few poison skittles in a bowl?
Do poison skittles rub off and spread to other skittles which they spend time in proximity to? Then no absolutely not.

.Edward Penischin
Jun 5, 2008

Plom Bar posted:

"Don't mansplain"

https://youtu.be/G1IewlAi7dA

Mansplains

.Edward Penischin fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 29, 2016

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Okay, 100% sure this guy is joking. However, I'm not completely confident that everyone will recognize it for the joke this is.

E: technically, its the kind of thing a flat earther could/would believe.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 29, 2016

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Dalael posted:

Okay, 100% sure this guy is joking. However, I'm not completely confident that everyone will recognize it for the joke this is.

E: technically, its the kind of thing a flat earther could/would believe.

One of those things Dale Gribble would eye closely.

"Why would I care if my dad is gay? John Redcorn's gay and I've known him for years."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
A friend of mine posted this, I hadn't seen it before but it's from a little over a month ago.

http://www.joemygod.com/2016/11/15/newsweek-posts-gop-oppo-research-on-bernie-sander/

Attacks that the GOP had planned if Sanders had won the nomination include twisting the essay he wrote into making it look like he thought rape was okay, that he stole electricity from a neighbor after not paying his bills, he voted to dump nuclear waste on a Hispanic community, that he violated campaign finance laws and voted against the Amber Alert system.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Defenestration posted:

<---Meat

Keeshhound posted:

"<---White Baby"
Somebody switch those around in photoshop.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

A friend of mine posted this, I hadn't seen it before but it's from a little over a month ago.

http://www.joemygod.com/2016/11/15/newsweek-posts-gop-oppo-research-on-bernie-sander/

Attacks that the GOP had planned if Sanders had won the nomination include twisting the essay he wrote into making it look like he thought rape was okay, that he stole electricity from a neighbor after not paying his bills, he voted to dump nuclear waste on a Hispanic community, that he violated campaign finance laws and voted against the Amber Alert system.

Yeah I saw three out of those coming.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Crippling depression.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

TinTower posted:

Crippling depression.

I'm a bit torn on this one... on one hand I want to lol at this...

but on the other, I do know of a bunch of kids who are just being kids, and are being pumped full of drugs because "ADHD"
I feel like the north american school system is just bad for kids. I know I sure as hell had trouble concentrating on school stuff after a few hours of being told to sit down and shut up while listening to the monotone lectures of some of my teachers. The least they could have done is use inflections when talking and not look like the previous school years had robbed them of their joy for life. Half my teachers looked like they were 1 idiotic kid away from giving up on life.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I wish I still had it because someone did a really good effort post on this but basically it boiled down to that the number of kids diagnosed with adhd and given meds is actually very small. It's just getting a lot of exposure.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Dalael posted:

but on the other, I do know of a bunch of kids who are just being kids, and are being pumped full of drugs because "ADHD"

The flipside of this is when you get kids like me who have adhd and depression who go untreated because "they're just being kids", and suffer needlessly because of it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Gloryhold It! posted:

The flipside of this is when you get kids like me who have adhd and depression who go untreated because "they're just being kids", and suffer needlessly because of it.

Yeah exactly this. Rather than "you might have this, but we can treat it" they'd rather go back to "this is just how you are, suck it up and deal with it" which is a frankly horrific position to take.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Gloryhold It! posted:

Yeah, that sucks. Its important to go on a case by case basis and not blanket "You're fine suck it up buttercup" or "omg you got adhd and you need to take these pills".

Especially when it comes to depression. Mental health is no joke.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RagnarokAngel posted:

I wish I still had it because someone did a really good effort post on this but basically it boiled down to that the number of kids diagnosed with adhd and given meds is actually very small. It's just getting a lot of exposure.

The other snag is that stuff like ADHD, autism, and depression or whatever just weren't heavily diagnosed when your bog standard baby boomer was a kid. All of those things existed but mental health care has advanced by leaps and bounds over the past 60 years. It isn't that stuff like that is more common it's that we've actually been diagnosing and treating it. Mental illness was also considered an adult thing but now we're realizing that children can develop mental issues too. Better to treat them early as is possible.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Gloryhold It! posted:

My brother was in school in the 80s. Not only was his AHDH untreated. It was counter-treated.

He was a huge pain in the rear end and did poorly in school so they presented this theory that he was too smart for the grade he was in. School bored him with its simplicity and that's the reason he was so hard to work with. This inflated his sense of self-worth to the point where it probably ruined the rest of his life. Over 40 now and diagnosed. He still talks about how he was too smart for school and that's why he did poorly.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Being "too smart for school" can gently caress you up in so many different ways. I was accelerated past 1st grade when I was in school due to not being challenged at all by any of the work in Kindergarten. I continued not being particularly challenged by schoolwork from 2nd through about 11th grade. The problem wasn't that I was "too smart", but rather that I was a very fast reader that retains a good percentage of what I read. So standard public school coursework, being based on reading a regurgitating information from textbooks, didn't challenge me at all. But I spent all of elementary school being seen as a little kid every year because I was a solid year younger than any of my classmates. And then when I started taking dual credit courses and then going to college, I had little to no practical studying or note-taking experience to draw on.

I don't know if I'd want to do it any differently if I had the option...but I can definitely see its impact on my life today.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

jivjov posted:

Being "too smart for school" can gently caress you up in so many different ways. I was accelerated past 1st grade when I was in school due to not being challenged at all by any of the work in Kindergarten. I continued not being particularly challenged by schoolwork from 2nd through about 11th grade. The problem wasn't that I was "too smart", but rather that I was a very fast reader that retains a good percentage of what I read. So standard public school coursework, being based on reading a regurgitating information from textbooks, didn't challenge me at all. But I spent all of elementary school being seen as a little kid every year because I was a solid year younger than any of my classmates. And then when I started taking dual credit courses and then going to college, I had little to no practical studying or note-taking experience to draw on.

I don't know if I'd want to do it any differently if I had the option...but I can definitely see its impact on my life today.

Same. Having good memory retention and recall abilities will excel you in primary school, but completely gently caress you up in college because you never learn to study, take notes, or prepare for things beyond High School concepts. The Wall in Secondary School is there, and it will hit hard, and there will be a conceptual ceiling somewhere that you won't get immediately, and this will harm your ability of understanding it.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Forgall posted:

Somebody switch those around in photoshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dalael posted:

I feel like the north american school system is just bad for kids. I know I sure as hell had trouble concentrating on school stuff after a few hours of being told to sit down and shut up while listening to the monotone lectures of some of my teachers. The least they could have done is use inflections when talking and not look like the previous school years had robbed them of their joy for life. Half my teachers looked like they were 1 idiotic kid away from giving up on life.

Yeah, I am actually bipolar, it is a real condition that I have been hospitalized for several times and it defined my life for almost a decade. For every ounce of "hmm, food for thought" in an image like that, there's 100 pounds of stigmatizing and delegitimizing. But hey; you "know some kids".

Don't talk about poo poo you know nothing about.