Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ripptide posted:

Ahhh, the "Ben Lesnik" stretch goal.

No in that case it comes with a news van.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

When I posted that he had money in Star Citizen, not only did he deny it, others didn't believe me.

Yeah, it all makes sense now.

You are forgetting who's who in this thread, man. Who is it you're quoting?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MeLKoR posted:

:doh:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

MeLKoR posted:

Didn't CIG own their version of Cryengine?

Having source code access doesn't mean they outright own the engine. When they negotiated the original license they were a cash strapped indie start up, so I doubt they paid anymore than a basic commercial license for one game.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AbstractNapper posted:

So the new revised updated explanation is that they patched the ("legacy") 3.7 version of LY which in other words was the 3.7 CryEngine with the diff-patch from Star Engine which was forked off 3.7 CE. That was the 2 days work (why do that in the first place? for the license maybe? Does it count if you are not actually using the LY code though?)

New features of LY proper (fork off 3.8.x whatever) are not added and probably have not even been evaluated if they are worth adding or how much of a nightmare merging to that would be.

Does that sound pointless to anyone else, too? Or just me then?
I think this explanation gets better and better.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4943894&viewfull=1#post4943894

So Ben Parry is single-handedly destroying all of CIG's credibility by admitting that those two days of effort were a minimal swap?

I'm sure Chris will appreciate that.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Tokamak posted:

Having source code access doesn't mean they outright own the engine. When they negotiated the original license they were a cash strapped indie start up, so I doubt they paid anymore than a basic commercial license for one game.

IIRC before the big game engines became "free", licencing contracts used to involve a lump sum upfront, followed by a percentage of future sales revenue. I wonder if CryTek's money troubles since 2014 and subsequent downfall was partially due to over-reliance on the original release dates of Squadron 42 (2014) and Star Citizen (2016?)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XK posted:

I've yet see anyone give a clear answer on CryEngine 4, 5, 3.x version numbers. As best I can tell, 3.6x was rebranded as 4 (possibly never officially released), and 3.8x was rebranded as 5.

It's in the blog that I wrote today. It was never released. CryTek stopped using the numerals in CryEngine, but were largely ignored. So all of 3.x are known as CE3. Then, while they were working on what was to become CE4, that's when they stopped using numerals and became CryEngine internally. Which is why - as I pointed out in my blog - there is no 4.x in their changelog. That's why they did that.

ps: I know most (including Cevat, the CEO) of the CryTek guys, some gone, some still there.

ewe2 posted:

It's been going for pages but:

that sums up what Parry would have us believe. He can't have the story both ways. No one who uses VCS can believe that picture. Engines don't get versioned without something important changing and it beggars belief that StarEngine "just happened" to track those changes.

For example, a few posts down:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4943940&viewfull=1#post4943940

This is the problem. Added to that, Parry tried to shoot down Derek's timeline for the CryEngine until it was eventually pointed out to him that Derek was using a label for a period of development not officially known as 'CryEngine 4'. He was shilling hard at that point. But we're not going to get this narrative shifted and the FDev mods are equally disinterested.

He's pretty much walked himself into a corner.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4944034&viewfull=1#post4944034

Also, if you look at this bullshit chart, there is no accounting for the "50%" modification to their version of CE 3.x. Like it never even existed.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Syd Syko posted:

Now now, don't be bringing nuggets of truth into this cesspit of poo poo posting!

:shepspends:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MeLKoR posted:

There is an excerpt in my original post which you are quoting. It shows who I am responding to.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Erenthal posted:

No you see CIG already told us that the operating costs of the big most powerful ships will be so massive when it comes to fuel, ammo, crew, rations and so on that players will only use these ships when absolutely necessary and then only when in huge organisations.

Yeah, it's hilarious how shitizens bought that load. I will literally lmao at shitizens when the reality hits them that these things "operating costs" are minimal inconveniences at worst, just like they are in E:D.

Hell, I can't wait to laugh at them when crobbles anounces that they new and improved netcode is peer-2-peer instancing just like E:D.

One in the Bum fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 29, 2016

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'm sure their peer-to-peer networking will be as efficient as the downloader/patcher.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Quavers posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/dangheesling

~1500 viewers. Did have 4500 when another streamer started hosting his channel, then the viewcount started bleeding quickly. Only 280 viewers in his chat channel, so most must not have been impressed enough to move over.

Star Marine looking good https://clips.twitch.tv/dangheesling/PuzzledChoughKappaRoss

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Sabreseven posted:

Kinda cool, they should keep track of little touches like this, they could call them Battlefield Star Citizen moments. Clearly this tech is revolutionary and has never been done before.

I remember seeing this exact same thing demonstrated like 14 years ago when they debuted Battlefield 2 and showed a rocket flying through a Blackhawk

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
All the shill streamers have distract material ready to go on secondary screen that they constantly switch to, in order to hide the fact the whole game needs to be rebooted after every match and then takes forever to load.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So Ben Parry is single-handedly destroying all of CIG's credibility by admitting that those two days of effort were a minimal swap?

I'm sure Chris will appreciate that.

Not sure you can credit Ben Parry with destroying CIG credibility buds. They've done a pretty good job of doing that long before Ben started his latest "explanations".

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

D_Smart posted:

Also, if you look at this bullshit chart, there is no accounting for the "50%" modification to their version of CE 3.x. Like it never even existed.

I hope this is pinned on your fridge door.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Guys I know this is the place to talk about the greatest game ever made or to be made, but have you tried Speed Runners? It's probably even slightly better than Star Citizen, if you can believe it.

Also did they really just switch engines? loving lol, where do I pledge money for imaginary spaceships?

PIctured at least two games that started with early access / crowd funding, and have been super successful AND released an actual product.

Rimworld is still in early access but really close to release, and they've had all major content in the game for over a year or more

Darkest Dungeon is spectacular, and again has been out of early access for almost a year, with glowing reviews

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
That engine family tree makes literally no sense, the only difference is the bottom half claims cry engine is a child fork off of lumber yard???

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

D_Smart posted:

There is an excerpt in my original post which you are quoting. It shows who I am responding to.

You should give your legal team a list of known trolls so when they proofread your posts you don't come off looking foolish.

Just a helpful tip from your ol cactus dick :)

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

D_Smart posted:

When I posted that he had money in Star Citizen, not only did he deny it, others didn't believe me.

Yeah, it all makes sense now.

Don't worry Mr. Smart. You haven't lead me wrong yet so I believe everything you write. You are my Internet troll idol because you troll with fact and hilarity and I too one day hope to be some kind of warlord.

Syd Syko
Nov 15, 2012

Out there ----> Somewhere

Tokamak posted:

Source?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

You should give your legal team a list of known trolls so when they proofread your posts you don't come off looking foolish.

He's pretty obviously yanking our chains on this. The man's being doing this for so long the chain could have choked him to death and he'd still find some way to yank it so people would think he wasn't dead.

D_Smart posted:

He's pretty much walked himself into a corner.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4944034&viewfull=1#post4944034

Well if Ben's goal was to utterly confuse anyone who didn't understand what the gently caress they're doing with Lumberyard, he's succeeded mightily on my end. At this point the message his post gives me (where he agrees with someone's quote) is their StarEngine stuff still has nothing from Lumberyard in it? I feel like I'm wrong with that. They're obfuscating this into a loving spaghetti nightmare.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ripptide posted:

Not sure you can credit Ben Parry with destroying CIG credibility buds. They've done a pretty good job of doing that long before Ben started his latest "explanations".

Yeah, but it's pretty rare that CIG actually aims for their own foot before they shoot.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

AP posted:

I prefer to think he's telling the truth as the idea that loads of CIG staff are trying to damage control the thread through Moma & Lladre in response to other CIG and ex-CIG staff leaking that poo poo is all hosed is funny.

It's almost 2017 and there's no game worth talking about. poo poo is beyond hosed and I'm sure if someone offered Chris Roberts $5 for ownership of CIG, to legally absolve him for responsibility for $140 million of unfulfilled promises, that he'd snatch their hand off.

I liked you more when you just posted the GIFs of ships spinning jankily and weren't trying to bait momas

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Is this a Star Citizen

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Well if Ben's goal was to utterly confuse anyone who didn't understand what the gently caress they're doing with Lumberyard, he's succeeded mightily on my end. At this point the message his post gives me (where he agrees with someone's quote) is their StarEngine stuff still has nothing from Lumberyard in it? I feel like I'm wrong with that. They're obfuscating this into a loving spaghetti nightmare.

One of the mods actually directly warned Parry that he couldn't have his CIG hat off and discuss this kind of thing, particularly because he's not an engine dev. But it's embarrassingly wrong if he's genuine, and I have difficulty reconciling his statements.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Every time I see this, I'm reminded of Scott Manley's video about true orbital-speed physics in Kerbal Space Program, where he talks about trying to collide two objects together in KSP in an "insurance scam" challenge. In the challenge, KSP is calculating at about 30 "frames" per second, but the objects in motion are moving about 4 kilometers per second, or 133 meters per frame, which turns out to be too fast for KSP to register as a collision. They literally pass through one another. Manley used a mod to slow the physics down to 1/10th speed, extending the KSP's physics fps to something like 300 per "second", slowing down the collision to about 13m per frame, slow enough for the physics to register the collision. It explained a lot about how physics engines work and how you have to tweak things to get the physics to be "correct" for the game. I remembered when I played Second Life, guns would have to shoot meter long spears for the lovely physics engine register them as a projectile hit if you used somewhat realistic velocities.

That's my guess what's happening here, the missile is moving way too fast for the game engine to register the collision.

D_Smart posted:

I'm coming to the conclusion that whatever modifications that CIG has added are smoke and mirrors and that their design process was so focused on revenue-generating screenshots and videos and ship sales or caught in Chris' creative revision cycle that they didn't bother to actually program the game. It's clear that they were going for visuals before gameplay, since it's easier to sell that poo poo. Everything should have been grey- or orange-boxed and we haven't seen nothing like that.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 29, 2016

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

ewe2 posted:

One of the mods actually directly warned Parry that he couldn't have his CIG hat off and discuss this kind of thing, particularly because he's not an engine dev. But it's embarrassingly wrong if he's genuine, and I have difficulty reconciling his statements.

Anyone wanna bet that Parry is being partially paid/compensated with royalties? No one? k.....

ripptide fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 29, 2016

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

For a standard licensing arrangement? Why would a startup studio with a few million dollars (at the time) pay more for a multi-game/unlimited license when they were originally planning to ship one game? They may have since secured the appropriate licensing, but businesses have a tendency to try and stiff their supplier, and hold out paying their invoices until the last possible moment. CIG has made it a point that they haven't been receiving Crytek support for years now. It doesn't paint a good relationship between CIG and Crytek.

Where is the source that they own the engine or shelled out for a more comprehensive license? This presupposes that they knew in advance that they would be making the $20+ million expanded scope Star Citizen, and three single player games. The original scope was designed to be built in the basic CryEngine with limited modifications.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ewe2 posted:

It's been going for pages but:

that sums up what Parry would have us believe. He can't have the story both ways. No one who uses VCS can believe that picture. Engines don't get versioned without something important changing and it beggars belief that StarEngine "just happened" to track those changes.

For example, a few posts down:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4943940&viewfull=1#post4943940

This is the problem. Added to that, Parry tried to shoot down Derek's timeline for the CryEngine until it was eventually pointed out to him that Derek was using a label for a period of development not officially known as 'CryEngine 4'. He was shilling hard at that point. But we're not going to get this narrative shifted and the FDev mods are equally disinterested.

Yeah, no. You are assuming versions mean anything to CIG. Make one door work? 2.2 -> 2.3.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Way to go, CIG. Major props all around!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Bolow posted:

I remember seeing this exact same thing demonstrated like 14 years ago when they debuted Battlefield 2 and showed a rocket flying through a Blackhawk

Ha, that's exactly the thing I was aiming for, I remember that same demonstration very well. :)

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

Way to go, CIG. Major props all around!

pro name

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

illectro posted:

Ahh don't worry about me, I've got thicker skin than anyone can imagine.

And yeah I'd love nothing more than for some solid approximation of the game to be delivered so that we can blot out the sun with our Auroras, it would be glorious, the best ending for everyone.
Equally I would not be surprised if they burn through all their money and goodwill before delivering anything capable of realizing that, and I was prepared for that outcome the moment I saw it was a Chris Roberts game, given his past history of projects delivered on schedule.

I'm not a hater.

Anyway what's really stood out with this latest video is the number of straight up racist fucks who are mad that a game might make them play as a non-white dude. Literally citing the one single character model on the loadout screen as a sign that CIG are part of some SJW conspiracy to commit white genocide. (sorry, I deleted the really offensive comments) I'm relieved to see none of this insanity on the SC Forums Or Reddit, it's mostly people posting directly on my video on youtube.

Ooh, the main character is going to be a non-white guy? That would be really funny given I bet >90% of the backers are pasty white men dreaming of being Firefly captains, or the guy from Battlestar or Han Solo. Basically Video Game Avatar #3566433 specifically designed to look almost exactly like Nathan Drake from Uncharted (sorry if I'm mis remembering that name).

I'd give CIG a high five for that. :3:

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Ooh, the main character is going to be a non-white guy? That would be really funny given I bet >90% of the backers are pasty white men dreaming of being Firefly captains, or the guy from Battlestar or Han Solo. Basically Video Game Avatar #3566433 specifically designed to look almost exactly like Nathan Drake from Uncharted (sorry if I'm mis remembering that name).

I'd give CIG a high five for that. :3:

Hey, watch it with the "pasty white guy" comments, if you please, TIA.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Chunjee posted:

It's live! :derp:

Is this a new message on their site?

I'm gonna guess this is a photoshop, but I hope to find out in another page or two. I'm time traveling from the past into your present. Just takes a little while. :shobon:

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Zzr posted:

A shame that Lazrin/Lethality/FactsAreUseless stopped his posts here. Instead he asked a pedo-antisemit and a doxxer-racist to troll here and promised that they wouldn't be banned by doing so.

Its true that I wont get banned from posting in here

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Samizdata posted:

Yeah, no. You are assuming versions mean anything to CIG. Make one door work? 2.2 -> 2.3.

I wasn't assuming anything about CIG, I was talking about the engine they're basing their code on. CIG can call their versions anything they want. The problem is their pretence that rebasing a fork on a later base was a simple matter. Simpler if they threw out the modifications that caused conflicts with the later development, or if they simply started again from LY. The latter is looking pretty good.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Welp. I'm still a "backer". Should I play this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

Fundamental Truths About Star Citizen
1) $140 million and 5 years are not unreasonable numbers because they are developing new technology to realize a game beyond the scope of any other. Here, look at this new feature.
2) This new feature doesn't indicate any kind of dev time or money spent because it's built into the engine. Chris Roberts is an excellent steward of our money.
3) This new feature is our fault because they have to keep selling us stuff to produce the game- $140 million isn't enough to fund all these new features.
4) They've spent the last 4 years modifying the engine to the point that they completely rebranded it and had to hire all of the Crytek developers to come work on it.
5) The engine is still baseline enough that it can be swapped out for a completely different branch with no issues.
6) Most of the work of the last two years was on netcode and back end support, which is now complete, allowing the game to expand much faster.
7) Swapping to the new engine allows them to use Amazon's net code which is much better than theirs, and will allow the game to expand much faster.
8) What's in the game today is amazing, and if they were to stop development and just polish that and add some maps, they could probably release it there.
9) The current gameplay is clearly a pre-pre-alpha and fundamentally does not represent the final state of the game. Bugs should be expected.

These are all true and I believe in them. Praise Roberts! :allears:

A cat with all the bits:

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 29, 2016