Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Caitlin posted:

It's gonna be a Petit Beargguy party up in this thread :toot: I just put in an order for the new Stray Cat too. :allears:

Yeah, I've got the rest on my list for when I finish up this batch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

chiasaur11 posted:

Will this do?

If so, happy Saint Stephen's Day. If not, there's a few other kits in the same line on Dalong, so you still have a chance.

You are now my hero(ine). IT IS A BOXING DAY MIRACLE OF MIRACLEY MIRACLENESS! :neckbeard:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Just ordered a Sazabi ver ka to keep my untouched MG Sinaju company. I remember when I used to occasionally spend 15 bucks on an HG :stare:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Just got Tallgeese MG for christmas. Better get off my rear end and put heavyarms together with it soon.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So, open question/opinion time, how does this look do you guys think?

Personally, I think the black and red mesh pretty well, but I'm totally willing to admit my opinions would be skewed given just how long I've been looking at and working on this thing. Plus, you know, sunk cost blah blah blah. I mean there's obviously going to be more decals on top of those since this is just the first round of them but I thought I might as well ask while I can still do an about face. Cool, okay, or tacky?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I like the black.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I feel like the black looks fine on the white, but there's a bit too much on the red.

Decal spam is pretty much your thing though so I guess that's normal.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well to be fair, it is much more reserved on the other parts:

That said though, there are gonna be huge white EFSF/Deep Striker designation decals on the shoulders on top of the black ones which will help break it up a bit. So I've got my work cut out for me because Jesus Christ look at all this poo poo I've got like another year ahead of me dear god

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I would have said that putting white decals on top of the black ones on the red areas would make it look perfect, but it looks like you're already on your way to doing that!

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

It looks like the inside of a really seed-y rectangular watermelon. Just the combo of the red (which looks watermelon-y) and the black.

White text should help on some them, but it's a lot to overcome imo.

But I'm also bad at picturing things when I'm looking at something incomplete.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I bought myself a $32 can of spraypaint for Christmas. But it's really cool! Stupid discontinued Rustoleum Colorshift Galaxy Blue.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
My package for a few months ago arrived!

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Caitlin posted:

I bought myself a $32 can of spraypaint for Christmas. But it's really cool! Stupid discontinued Rustoleum Colorshift Galaxy Blue.

That is pretty as all hell.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Zebulon posted:

That is pretty as all hell.

Yeah picture is not mine it's still in the mail, I'm thinking a Stray Cat Petit to test it out and might do one of my own controllers too. Not for big projects since it's low stock and expensive AF aftermarket, but I couldn't resist.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Caitlin posted:

Yeah picture is not mine it's still in the mail, I'm thinking a Stray Cat Petit to test it out and might do one of my own controllers too. Not for big projects since it's low stock and expensive AF aftermarket, but I couldn't resist.

That looks like it'd be gorgeous on a Qubeley or a Sinanju, something that's supposed to be a polished to a shine flagship unit. Shame it's so drat expensive and hard to get a hold of now.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Don't use Rustoleum on model kits. It's not what it's made for.

If you want that effect, look up Alclad's line of Prismatic Holochromatics.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care if it's not what it's made for it'll go on top of primer and I don't feel too bad testing on a $6 kit :shrug:

e: plus I don't have an airbrush and that looks like airbrush paint to me

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xalclad+prismatic.TRS1&_nkw=alclad+prismatic&_sacat=0

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 28, 2016

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Bought myself a Christmas present.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well here's something I wasn't expecting to see; Aquamarine's releasing a 1:1500 Martian Successor Nadesico ND-001 Nadesico ship kit in April. It even comes with a teeny tiny Aestivalis to stick atop the bridge :allears:.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well here's something I wasn't expecting to see; Aquamarine's releasing a 1:1500 Martian Successor Nadesico ND-001 Nadesico ship kit in April. It even comes with a teeny tiny Aestivalis to stick atop the bridge :allears:.

If it doesn't have a 1:1500 scale decal saying GAY to put on the shoulder of the Aestivalis, I ain't buying

Wasn't there some other company doing a premade/die-cast or something like that Nadesico model? Or is this the same one?

Meanwhile I just paid for my Cherno Alpha pre-order, should be here in 10-30 days. Now if I stop loving up and losing/breaking parts for my MG Rezel, I might even finish my current build in time for the glorious Soviet beast.

Jumping on the durability talk - is there a topcoat out there that will protect acrylics against scraping reasonably well, or is it basically lacquer or nothing?

I could imagine that a few coats of Future over a few days, topped by a lacquer matte topcoat, might do the trick, and I know that someone tried one of those two-part urethane clear coats that cures hard as a rock, but I don't know if my normal spray booth will be strong enough to vent out the seriously bad poo poo that's in urethane.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
How much of a skill difference is there between RG and HG? I like the 1/144 scale and I don't do anything major when I build (cut/sand away excess sprue pieces, panel line, color correct some small pieces with gundam markers and that's about it) but there are some RG models I want to pick up. I'm worried that they might be more effort than I want to put in.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
RG is a hell of a lot easier to break than other kits, and the parts can be microscopic.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adel posted:

How much of a skill difference is there between RG and HG? I like the 1/144 scale and I don't do anything major when I build (cut/sand away excess sprue pieces, panel line, color correct some small pieces with gundam markers and that's about it) but there are some RG models I want to pick up. I'm worried that they might be more effort than I want to put in.

They do take a lot longer to build, simply because there's a lot more pieces. But it's till Gunpla, it's all snap together, the manual is clear and easy to understand. The only real extra difficulty is that sometimes one of the tiny pieces will jump out of your grip and you'll have to look for it.

If you're worried, start with one of the simple, non-transforming ones. Like the Mk 2 or the 00 Qan t

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
RG kits are also cool as hell and totally worth the effort.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Just be sure you work all the joints loose gently and gradually before assembly, or there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Adel posted:

The comments in the OP scared me, but I built 2 with barely any difficulty. About the hardest part was a couple tiny pieces on the arms right about the elbows. The skeleton comes in 5 pieces so you're not building the entire thing from scratch.

Don't let it scare you off. Be prepared to comb your area for a piece if you drop it. Otherwise, go nuts.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Adel posted:

I made my first kit on an RG and its not really hard just time consuming. HG is a step down in complexity but still looks good.

Bimmi posted:

Just be sure you work all the joints loose gently and gradually before assembly, or there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I wish I knew this a couple of months ago. Probably one of the best tips, as it will give you a sense of its articulation before putting it together.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Puddin posted:

I made my first kit on an RG and its not really hard just time consuming. HG is a step down in complexity but still looks good.

Older HG kits are nowhere near as good as the newer releases so it pays to do some research.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I thought that the thread was just being slow as usual, turnsout fatfingering on mobile unbookmarked it :downs:

For christmas I got the Grimgerde (not a spectacular look OOB, but I have a feeling it will look stunning with some shiny paint and lining) and the Gouf R35 (which I'm already excited about building). More excitingly I got the Chopper 2 (mini cutting board that makes it really easy to make multiple straight cuts and exact angles) and a 3-set of Dremels (one of them I already have, but this one has variable speed which is good for plastic). So I'm pretty hype to scratch-build something now!

Also just floating a far-future (because of how many projects I have going on) idea: what do you guys think of an MG Turn X with a bright metal (titanium or brass) frame, and for the armor panels a holochromatic orange-black?

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 28, 2016

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Caitlin posted:

As a heads up that paint is probably gonna have a really uneven orange peel finish and go on thick, so if you use it on a kit that's posable make sure to either mask off any plastic parts that slide against each other or sand those areas down a bit to give some clearance. Otherwise your posable kit will become very un-posable. Also a clear topcoat will help even the finish a bit and make it more shiny. Plus make sure to paint when the weather is good for it, spray cans usually like at least 20 celsius and around 50% humidity.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Clear topcoat will happen no matter what and I'll probably test it on a spoon first just to see what kind of finish I get, but thanks for the tips. All the rest of the paint I'm getting for my customs are Tamiya spraycans so I'll be fine besides it, I just really need to experiment with this one to see what I can do with it.

e: I'll probably end up testing it over black and white to see if there's a difference after layering too fwiw, will report results when I can

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 28, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Caitlin posted:

Clear topcoat will happen no matter what and I'll probably test it on a spoon first just to see what kind of finish I get, but thanks for the tips. All the rest of the paint I'm getting for my customs are Tamiya spraycans so I'll be fine besides it, I just really need to experiment with this one to see what I can do with it.

If you end up liking the effect you should look into guides on using nail polish (which is just lacquer), they're cheaper than model paint and certainly a $36 spray can :v:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

If you end up liking the effect you should look into guides on using nail polish (which is just lacquer), they're cheaper than model paint and certainly a $36 spray can :v:

Honestly my nail polish works out to be more expensive I'm pretty sure; but I could see that being useful for smaller applications where I'm not as worried about an even coat on a larger surface.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Does 'clear topcoat' imply a specific finish like gloss or matte? I see this a lot and I'm never quite sure if it's just a general term or not.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

That Gobbo posted:

Does 'clear topcoat' imply a specific finish like gloss or matte? I see this a lot and I'm never quite sure if it's just a general term or not.

It can be satin, matte, or gloss, and means a layer of clear paint that provides a layer between the paint and everything else, so it doesnt chip or wash off or get harmed by other paints and solvents.

Example: you finished gunk washing your model, but still want to highlight or touch up areas without turning everything muddy. You put down a Future top coat, which protects the oil paint from interacting with any new paint, as well as keeping it from rubbing off (since Oil is probably the least aggressive paint).

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 29, 2016

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
From the hours of reading I've done in preparation to get back into painting it's normally a lacquer based paint to seal underlying paint to either finalize and protect or so you can enamel panel wash on top of it so that it doesn't react.

Normally prime, acrylic base and mains, top coat, enamel wash, final top coat(gloss, satin or matt)

E: I just realised that the top coat I have laying around is a polycarbonate based one and not a lacquer. Is that gonna react oddly with the acrylics?

Puddin fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 29, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
GundamGuy has images for a new IBO kit, the Hekija. The creamsicle-tan parts aren't great, but I like the rest of it and might get one.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Those tan colors rule, you're insane

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Thanks for the advice on RG kits, I'll give them a shot and keep the thread's advice in mind. The two I want are the Wing Zero EW Ver and the 00 Riser, maybe I'll feel ballsy and try decals :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Adel posted:

Thanks for the advice on RG kits, I'll give them a shot and keep the thread's advice in mind. The two I want are the Wing Zero EW Ver and the 00 Riser, maybe I'll feel ballsy and try decals :v:

Having just put together the 00 Raiser, you don't have anything to worry about with it. Nothing is tricky, you just have to follow the instructions.