Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Kin posted:

Fast travel: Should i be abusing it as muhc as possible or slowy gathering the trickle of AP from watching the car drive me everywhere in 2-5 minute chunks?

Anything that says it takes 1-2 minutes to drive there isn't worth fast traveling in my opinion, as the loading screen takes over a minute (at least on disc)

And yeah the Ignis glasses conversation happens during a story quest, I don't know how you can miss it. He does say his eye sight is "passable" without the glasses so I don't think its that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I just hit chapter 2 and now apparently the game has decided it doesn't want me to have fun anymore. Any time I try to do anything, anything at all, a dozen level 16 guys (I'm level 11) drop out of the sky directly onto my head and kill the poo poo out of me. If I manage to escape alive, I find myself unable to do the sidequest I wanted to do or pick up the treasure I wanted or even just fight whatever random enemies I ran into, because these assholes just stay there. This is seriously making me want to not play anymore because I just can't do anything.

Please tell me that if I progress in the story a little more this will stop happening. It can't be like this for the rest of the game, right?

And yeah I know I can kill them with magic, but the amount of restocking I'd have to do for how often this happens, it doesn't seem practical.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Suaimhneas posted:

I just hit chapter 2 and now apparently the game has decided it doesn't want me to have fun anymore. Any time I try to do anything, anything at all, a dozen level 16 guys (I'm level 11) drop out of the sky directly onto my head and kill the poo poo out of me. If I manage to escape alive, I find myself unable to do the sidequest I wanted to do or pick up the treasure I wanted or even just fight whatever random enemies I ran into, because these assholes just stay there. This is seriously making me want to not play anymore because I just can't do anything.

Please tell me that if I progress in the story a little more this will stop happening. It can't be like this for the rest of the game, right?

And yeah I know I can kill them with magic, but the amount of restocking I'd have to do for how often this happens, it doesn't seem practical.

Your buddies call out before they land so you can run. They aren't that hard once you get some more levels. It doesn't happen in every single area, but they can spawn in most open places.

Yes it happens all game long but I can't recall them ever ruining a hunt or sidequest with their spawning. I've always had them spawn as I was running to places, never at my destination.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I can't recall them ever ruining a hunt or sidequest with their spawning. I've always had them spawn as I was running to places, never at my destination.

Your experience seems to be the opposite of mine then, because when I say they drop on me any time I try to do anything, I am not exaggerating in any way. Everything I've tried to do in the past two hours or so I've had to abandon because of this, it's making me feel like the game is just plain broken.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Suaimhneas posted:

Your experience seems to be the opposite of mine then, because when I say they drop on me any time I try to do anything, I am not exaggerating in any way. Everything I've tried to do in the past two hours or so I've had to abandon because of this, it's making me feel like the game is just plain broken.

Three things that helped me -

1) Running away when needed
2) Leveling up
3) Minding the engagement circles on the minimal

The first two are no-brainers, right. The 3rd can be missed in combat. Usually the engagement circles don't overlap, so you can fight one group and evade the other.

I don't recall this happening consistently and in different areas enough to have a large impact. It occurred a bit in Leide during Ch 3-4, but leveling and figuring out the general spawn points for Magitek engines trivialized it in most cases.

If it's happening consistently in all 3 regions, that might be a bug.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
can't stop betting on monster fights

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Welp, hosed myself with permanently losing some good lures with fishing because I didn't think that they'd think of fish eating them when the line broke. At least it wasn't a Bahamut.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Kin posted:

Awesome.

Also, i just came across a FF7 remake gameplay trailer from the end of 2015 i missed and i noticed a few things that seem to be in this, in particular there's the squeezing through gaps and holes animations as well as the fluid chained attacks.

Is the running theory that it's going to be basically be using the FF15 engine?

No, it's Unreal.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

To me a true Final Fantasy is a game where there's a heavy emphasis on "Fantasy", one that's eager to show me the fantastic and bizarre. A game with a huge world map that I can fly around on with a airship sometime into the game. Games that can provide a completely strange cast to me as a player yet make it all work when played serious. A series that's not afraid to make up it's own races or species or whatever so it's not just humans running around etc.

To me FFIX isn't perfect by any means but it's what I'd point to if I had to describe the series as a whole because it takes all of the things you'd expect from the series up to that point and, to me, puts them on a spotlight.

It's why I get confused (not angry, just confused) when a review for FFXV goes "Yeah it really feels like Final Fantasy is back, it totally checks out with other games in the series!" When it has literally none of that and is just some generic rear end dustbowl that probably wouldn't look too out of place if it was in MGSV. Also, Lucis filled with nothing but folks who (for the most part) dress sensibly and whatnot. To me personally XV isn't a bad game, it just isn't a """"""""""real""""""""""""" final fantasy game.

They should patch Ardyn to have Seymours hair in a update. I could get behind that.

Yes because the 40 foot tall hairy dinosaurs and angry birhinos and horse birds and magic and summons teleporting main character aren't fantasy enough because there aren't any bangaas

:crossarms:

Saint Freak posted:

I have probably 4+ hunts that are bugged at the moment and I think that is one? I know one is Hammer the Cannibals because the name stuck with me. One is inside the power plant where the enemies spawn but killing them does not give me credit and they don't come back. One is giant killer beetle things because I thought it was going to be bees and I looked it up on youtube to make sure I was in the right place and was like oh poo poo, I didn't want to fight those things anyways.

I had that issue with a hunt early on, forcing the game closed and restarting it fixed it

Kin posted:

If being overlevelled will put an and to these frustrating 'random' encounters with the loving magitek soldiers i'm all for it.

I'm Level 22 and still get my poo poo pushed in by them when they're level 16-18 as their gun-toting chucklefucks just annihaliate me and my party. Especially when they drop down while i'm fighting something else.

It's like the game's purposefully trying to troll you into hating it. What a loving stupid gameplay decision.

Keep double or triplecast thundara / thundaga loaded when you're running around and just one shot them. If you haven't figured it out yet you can add items by 'x'ing on the fourth bubble in the elemancy screen. Items will add raw spell power, numbers of uses in the stack or added effects like poison, curse, attack down, etc

Wrist Watch posted:

All I'm trying to say is that recommending it by calling it a good game with a few issues that's still worth playing is disingenuous as gently caress without mentioning for example how the first 25+ hours of the game is literally walking in a straight line down various hallways before you can even get your full party together.

If you think the plot introduction was actually handled fine or that everyone's exaggerating then whatever, that means my other points are also wrong for some reason I guess

I enjoyed and continue to enjoy the opening, middle and end of ffxiii so it may just be that people have different opinions from you.

Crabtree posted:

Welp, hosed myself with permanently losing some good lures with fishing because I didn't think that they'd think of fish eating them when the line broke. At least it wasn't a Bahamut.

Can anyone confirm if the good lures are permanently losable or are they replaceable at some point?

I lost my skinny tonberry lure that I got from the first fishing quest earlier tonight and I'd be real sad if it's permanently gone.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Tildryn posted:

I got it during the story trip to Titan. Ignis has passable eyesight without his glasses, but he wears them because he likes things to be 'crystal clear'.

pffft passable. It's infinitely more likely he just broke his glasses in the leviathan fight, and he couldn't find any optometrists in altissa(sp) that could do his rx :v:.

Also, I don't know wtf people were bitching about the train so much. It was perfectly fun, though I wish it was longer with umbra stops and more exploration.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

can't stop betting on monster fights

Yeah I really enjoyed the arena. I wish there was more enemy variety and that you could bet more than 9999 at a time.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

pffft passable. It's infinitely more likely he just broke his glasses in the leviathan fight, and he couldn't find any optometrists in altissa(sp) that could do his rx :v:.

Also, I don't know wtf people were bitching about the train so much. It was perfectly fun, though I wish it was longer with umbra stops and more exploration.

I don't think the train is the problem, considering the entire section takes what 1-2 hours at most not including cutscenes. The Tenebrae stop was pretty embarassing though. Completely out of context flashback scene and a skybox of a burning town?

I agree on the stops though.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

RatHat posted:

Yeah I really enjoyed the arena. I wish there was more enemy variety and that you could bet more than 9999 at a time.

yeah i would've really liked some fights with some of the bigger enemies

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

yeah i would've really liked some fights with some of the bigger enemies

Adamantoise vs Adamantoise

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I liked the soldiers attacking you at inopportune times. Made them feel like an actual threat. Once I realized how OP some of the recipes are the MT stopped being a problem.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Your buddies call out before they land so you can run. They aren't that hard once you get some more levels. It doesn't happen in every single area, but they can spawn in most open places.

Yes it happens all game long but I can't recall them ever ruining a hunt or sidequest with their spawning. I've always had them spawn as I was running to places, never at my destination.

I've had them show up when looking for minerals for Dino or tags for Dave and keep dropping more and more off which was mainly irritating as it only gave me a short window to look for the thing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Adamantoise vs Adamantoise

The hitboxes on Adamantoise are so hosed I wouldn't be surprised if they were unable to hit each other.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Wrist Watch posted:

All I'm trying to say is that recommending it by calling it a good game with a few issues that's still worth playing is disingenuous as gently caress without mentioning for example how the first 25+ hours of the game is literally walking in a straight line down various hallways before you can even get your full party together.

If you think the plot introduction was actually handled fine or that everyone's exaggerating then whatever, that means my other points are also wrong for some reason I guess

Therer's a distinct difference between "play this it's good"

and "it's flawed, it's not a trainwreck"

It's constantly sold by disgruntled fans as some colossal failure, when it's successes along with it's sequels dipping their toes in the water are likely why versus wasn't cancelled and why we see the xv we do.

Lestallum almost feels copy pasted out of lightning returns it's so inspired by it, and its so much smaller and less intricate then the cities in that game.
The questing.

basically all that we like about this game.

The questing in xiii it self was good, the story has ups and downs, and there isn't any big "collect the 13 X's and save the world moment"

it's a serviceable game thats at the very least average among it's peers and trys things that haven't been explored in the FF series, some successfully, some not so much.

ironically i'd say the one chapter that even feels inspired by the first half of FFXIII even has 13 in its title.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

I don't think the train is the problem, considering the entire section takes what 1-2 hours at most not including cutscenes. The Tenebrae stop was pretty embarassing though. Completely out of context flashback scene and a skybox of a burning town?

I agree on the stops though.

All of that part of the game reeked of being unfinished which is sad, because if it opened up a new open world it would have been great

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Also I spotted the "earliest" mention of a plot detail. And it's by an npc.

so dino mentions that nights are getting longer and that more demons are coming out noctis of course just knows this already and agrees but never mentions it on his own before this IIRC if you can manage to get that deep into costlemark before altissia, it's his last mission, the enemies you need to fight to get there are obnoxious as gently caress however, but its not too deep in.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Man, the bonus Lv. 99 dungeon where you can't use items is a real mean bastard, and I'm pretty sure I didn't get far enough in for my progress to matter much without ducking out. Other than that, I've done pretty much everything else that's worth doing that I'm aware of aside from the turtle for my platinum. It's been a really fun time and I'm glad I got to experience it w/ no spoilers.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
For that dungeon you basically just take a shitton of Healcast spells.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Baron Corbyn posted:

I've had them show up when looking for minerals for Dino or tags for Dave and keep dropping more and more off which was mainly irritating as it only gave me a short window to look for the thing.

A tactic i read which has seemingly helped out a fair bit with them is to warp strike in with a great sword which makes a whole bunch of them immeditely vulnerable. Combined with a bit of overlevelling, i can take them out in under a minute now (granted i'm 10 levels higher than them at this point).

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Kin posted:

A tactic i read which has seemingly helped out a fair bit with them is to warp strike in with a great sword which makes a whole bunch of them immeditely vulnerable. Combined with a bit of overlevelling, i can take them out in under a minute now (granted i'm 10 levels higher than them at this point).
Yeah, while they're lining up in formation, warp strike in, go Dynasty Warriors on them for a few seconds while they're all still in a single group to get them to about 1/3 or 1/2 health, and then warp away to a rock somewhere and watch your buddies clean up.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Throw the Ghost Shuriken of the Dead Rogue King through their ranks like once.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

SectumSempra posted:

Also I spotted the "earliest" mention of a plot detail. And it's by an npc.

so dino mentions that nights are getting longer and that more demons are coming out noctis of course just knows this already and agrees but never mentions it on his own before this IIRC if you can manage to get that deep into costlemark before altissia, it's his last mission, the enemies you need to fight to get there are obnoxious as gently caress however, but its not too deep in.

Nights getting longer for inexplicable reasons is something that is literally spelled out in the game's tutorial, yet people still seem to treat it like some sort of holy poo poo moment when it gets really noticeable all the way in Chapter 10.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Doesn't the frog lady mention nights getting longer in like a level 4 quest or something

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Yes, and several other places besides, but people would need to admit they aren't the sharpest tools in the woodshed if they didn't blame it on poor explanation.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

I've killed so many loving unicorns.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I never used magic except for the XP one.

What a worthless system.

When ever a drop ship shits out 15 guys, I lob a lightning ball and they all mostly die. I'm barely into the game tho.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Philthy posted:

When ever a drop ship shits out 15 guys, I lob a lightning ball and they all mostly die. I'm barely into the game tho.

That's basically what magic is for IMO. Oh something is higher level and hard to beat? Have a quadcast fireball for max damage at level 3.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Well this was the first final fantasy I was planning on doing the end game. But all these dungeons are the same. And they didnt even bother to made and interesting good dungeon to Copy paste.

Welp. Ill come back when all the dlc is out I guess.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Did I miss something? Is there a reason why I can't use items like potions sometime?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

m.hache posted:

Did I miss something? Is there a reason why I can't use items like potions sometime?

Are you trying to refill max hp? For that you need to use elixirs.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

MMF Freeway posted:

Are you trying to refill max hp? For that you need to use elixirs.

I had no idea that's a thing but seeing the faded bars makes sense. So if I take damage there's a reserve bar and a total HP bar?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Guw posted:

I've killed so many loving unicorns.

You sure you're killing the right ones? Spiracorns don't count. If you've not, breaking the horn apparently boosts the drop rate.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Can you curtail the drain of royal arms? I like the big dumb ninja star but the drain is just too much to be practical in many battles. Or is there a non-royal arms big dumb ninja star?

Also the weapon's description says it belonged to a Queen, but the tomb was totally some dude with a big ol' beard.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Can you curtail the drain of royal arms? I like the big dumb ninja star but the drain is just too much to be practical in many battles. Or is there a non-royal arms big dumb ninja star?

Also the weapon's description says it belonged to a Queen, but the tomb was totally some dude with a big ol' beard.

All the Royal Arms have the HP drain, it can't be removed, and since the star's moveset involves a lot of little hits that makes it almost useless. I'm not happy about it, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
Is there anyway to prevent my myself from being extremely overleveled for the main quest (besides just skipping quests)? If not, which quests are "worth doing" in terms of rewards?

• Locked thread