Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Typo posted:

funny story: one of my friends is really into tumblr and she basically said the reverse to me: there are no guys on tumblr

I wouldn't have been surprised if Tumblr did skew heavily female, but from a cursory google it's pretty even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BarbarianElephant posted:

Yeah, that's why they flip out over girls playing video games while at the same time bemoaning the fact that they can't find a girlfriend who likes videogames. I suppose the ideal is a girl who loves videogames, but doesn't talk about them, particularly in a critical way.

It really, really doesn't help that as soon as a female voice comes over on voice chat you'll invariably get "tits or gtfo" or "GAEMR GIRL BE MAI WAIFU PLZZZZZ" pretty much immediately. There are, in fact, many women who enjoy games but either don't play them online, don't play them on pub servers, or hide the fact that they're women because of how horrifyingly common really gross misogynists are on the internet. Frequently that same guy that demands pictures of breasts from every woman on the internet laments that he's single despite being a nice guy. They've created a culture that is openly hostile to women while simultaneously failing to realize that it's their own drat fault women don't want to be around them.

I can definitely understand it when women who like games decide they don't want to deal with that poo poo.

Neurolimal posted:

I cant articulate it well, but I feel like theres a deeper underlying problem at play responsible for frustraded men and women not finding love and polarizing them that I'm worried could blindside us. It concerns me because I feel like its responsible for a lot of the recent surge in MRA's.

I think a part of it has to do with public expectations and inflated standards due to stereotypes and memes perpetuated by our society. Men are made very noninteractive and distant due to the pressure to not be the passive-aggressive 'nice guy' nor the violent sexist pig, resulting in a loss of passion and individuality. Meanwhile women are given the impression that they are liberated and progressive, which is proven wrong when they display how tightly the double-standards of sexism still cling to them when they exhaust the entirety of their personal bios listing everything they dont want or are afraid to admit wanting (resulting in the already impersonal and timid partners to become even more monotonous and bland). Ironically, the emphasis on suppressing subtle personality reduces some to the caricatures MRA's present, being left with nothing to judge individuals on but their looks and accomplishments.

It also helps that both parties are hilariously awkward and nerdy, adding another clumsy layer to the whole thing.

That actually shows the biggest failing point of MRA thought. The social issues that led to where we are now are actually very complex. A lot of it has to do with things that aren't even gender-related. In American society we worship wealth and prestige; you must pursue those things at all costs all the time, no matter what, to the expense of all else. Meanwhile the stagnating wages and rising costs of living mean that people just plain can't afford to go out. It's also just plain easier to plunk down in front of electronic gizmos for hours on end than it is to go out. Meanwhile we have a society that's telling both genders not to trust the other pretty much nonstop. In high school we all got a talk about big scary STDs and how if you have sex at all you'll get all of them. Sex, dating, and whatever are talked about as unspeakable horrors you should avoid. poo poo is a mess for a ton of different reasons.

The MRA thought is entirely "women are inherently evil and feminism is the cause of all modern social ills." Nothing is ever that simple.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Freakazoid_ posted:

On the other hand, legalize prostitution. Problem solved.

Nope. They don't want sex just because they want sex. They want sex to validate their worth. Paying for it doesn't have that effect because it doesn't impress anyone.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Kilano posted:

More of my liberal friends are sexless virgins than my scumbag friends

hope this helps

yeah IRL idiot right wingers do lots of drugs and gently caress lots of white trash chicks and make lots of babies they can't afford

source: I live in a small town

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It really, really doesn't help that as soon as a female voice comes over on voice chat you'll invariably get "tits or gtfo" or "GAEMR GIRL BE MAI WAIFU PLZZZZZ" pretty much immediately. There are, in fact, many women who enjoy games but either don't play them online, don't play them on pub servers, or hide the fact that they're women because of how horrifyingly common really gross misogynists are on the internet. Frequently that same guy that demands pictures of breasts from every woman on the internet laments that he's single despite being a nice guy. They've created a culture that is openly hostile to women while simultaneously failing to realize that it's their own drat fault women don't want to be around them.

I can definitely understand it when women who like games decide they don't want to deal with that poo poo.

youre totally forgetting "anti-feminist girl whos different from all the other girls"

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

Meanwhile women are given the impression that they are liberated and progressive, which is proven wrong when they display how tightly the double-standards of sexism still cling to them when they exhaust the entirety of their personal bios listing everything they dont want or are afraid to admit wanting (resulting in the already impersonal and timid partners to become even more monotonous and bland).

:yikes:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Tesseraction posted:

Heck Trump's cabinet are basically all establishment Republicans apart from Bannondorf.
This part is actually irrelevant to his election because he said basically nothing about what his cabinet would be beyond vague promises to "drain the swamp," which he immediately reneged on.

Neurolimal posted:

I cant articulate it well, but I feel like theres a deeper underlying problem at play responsible for frustraded men and women not finding love and polarizing them that I'm worried could blindside us. It concerns me because I feel like its responsible for a lot of the recent surge in MRA's.
I don't think that there's actually been a surge in MRAs, you can look at subscription stats for MRA subreddits and they've had flat growth for as long as they've existed, although it depends how long ago you'd qualify as a "surge." The biggest change of the past decade has been Steubenville and the still-ongoing fallout from it. It probably shouldn't be a surprise that TRP was founded only 2 months after it.

I think that the main social problem is that there is very little support for young men that are afraid of rejection or just don't understand dating. There were some non-scientific surveys of some MRA subreddits and the respondents were overwhelmingly 17-20 non-religious conservatives (which should be more evidence of their electoral insignificance). If you follow the "not getting laid" theory, then the odds of someone that couldn't get past "hi" in high school figuring out how to do it in college isn't very good, and after that they're even more screwed. It doesn't help that there are a lot of early-life phenomena that discourage young boys and girls from having casual interaction, and with the existence of male-dominated majors, that problem can get even worse in college.

What they need is guidance, unfortunately most independent dating advice is a scam (including PUAs), and there's a stigma attached to it.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 29, 2016

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Nope. They don't want sex just because they want sex. They want sex to validate their worth. Paying for it doesn't have that effect because it doesn't impress anyone.

Plus it would do nothing to change their views,. If they have to pay for sex it means evil women really do hate them and thus Redpill is correct.

MRAs cannot be cured by validating them.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

ToxicSlurpee posted:

This made me realize something else; the internet right is intolerant as all hell. They'll happily harass somebody offline and will not let up when they decide to hate somebody. If the alt right gets you in their crosshairs your best bet is to just disconnect and go offline. They are relentless.

I really don't see the left doing that. The internet left tries to play more-tolerant-than-thou nonstop. The internet right sees that as a sign of weakness that must be attacked.

I miss Gawker

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

You don't think that our society discourages or shames women for admitting that they might want flirting, hookups, and sex?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Freakazoid_ posted:

On the other hand, legalize prostitution. Problem solved.

Yeah, commodifying basic human needs is the way forward.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

steinrokkan posted:

I mean, food is a basic human need too.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

steinrokkan posted:

See also: countries with legal prostitution that aren't disproportionately terrible to women.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

blowfish posted:

See also: countries with legal prostitution that aren't disproportionately terrible to women.

Legalize prostitution, sure, but don't imagine it's going to solve anything, or that it's going to make people happy when you tell them to just pay for their needs, especially when they are likely to be poor. As somebody in a country with legalized prostitution, I'm going to say it overwhelmingly attracts irredeemable scumbags, not people with healthy social attitudes, neither does it improve the attitudes of clients. The solution is in improved socialization through strong public institutions so people aren't left out of natural social interactions and don't have to stew in their basements with entirely avoidable anxiety and anger issues. That, not prostitution, is why some countries seem less hate-filled (also I think it's largely an illusion, you just don't see foreign members of the same fringe cliques because they don't share the same spaces as you).

porfiria posted:

I mean, food is a basic human need too.

Food is inherently a commodity, affection is, if anything, turned into a dehumanizing thing when commodified.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Dec 29, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The MRA thought is entirely "women are inherently evil and feminism is the cause of all modern social ills." Nothing is ever that simple.

But also merges strongly with the PUA community who also believe that women are dumb idiots who can be won over using the cheat codes contained in my book, $19.99 on Amazon dot com. These books of course basically give advice ranging from the sensible ("brush your teeth for gently caress's sake") to the borderline rapey, but ultimately the only thing that increases your likelihood of hooking up is getting out there and trying which these books encourage you to do. But it kinda leads back into a mindset that women are objects, instead of being the Nice-Guy idea of a vending machine that dispenses sex if you put in enough kindness coins, it's that women are now a Rubik's cube that pops open to dispense sex. At no point are they told to think of women as sentient beings so much as a badly constructed AI out to blue balls you by default. Which then leads into MRA mindsets. Women are blue balling you! But also plan to steal your sperm and tie you to alimony for the rest of your life!!

Manifest Despair
Aug 20, 2008
The Twerkbutt/Vive combo I got going on is about 70% as satisfactory as the real deal, most importantly it requires zero effort, has no STD/Pregnancy risk, and requires no consent, condom, marriage, divorce, alimony or child support. All of my male friends look down on it because their entire self worth is wrapped up in their PUA status and this, in their eyes, invalidates that. As the technology develops into cheap non-AI sexbots and automation becomes more commonplace we'll have no need for human interaction and the entire issue of gender/race will become irrelevant. We will all finally be free of the tyranny of human relationships.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Just carry on down the road we are on and we'll soon be free of the tyranny of human life, and indeed all life imo.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I was happier this morning when I didn't know the Twerkbutt existed.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

gohmak posted:

I miss Gawker

lmao I missed that post

kinda expected nobody ITT to have ever directly spoken to a member of the "far-right" but lol apparently some have never met another internet leftist either

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
The same reason they have had so much luck in other avenues I guess.

For the overwhelming majority of human evolution, people lived in small groups, with social functions and general brain wiring going according to these small groups. Certain things, like blind obedience to leaders, fear of outsiders e.t.c were survival traits. The last 10,000 years or so where we did the whole civilisation thing was kinda cool but our technological pace leapt forwards but in terms of the small group mindset we haven't really progressed at all. When your maximum group size was a few hundred perhaps, this worked. When you have tens of millions of people living in the same place, hundreds of millions in the same "group" it becomes problematic to say the least.

Fascism/authoritarianism exploits this. The leader will keep you safe from the others, the bad ones, who would take your cave and your lover and your crops and force you to worship differently. If you disagree, well, then you are a group outsider not worthy of respect, or even worse, you become one of the bad ones. The appeals are base. It's not about logic or reason (though they certainly cargo cult it quite obsessively), but about feeling and instinct.

And then the last decade or so comes along, and lets the world communicate in extraordinary ways. Didn't really turn out as a progressive utopia of free exchange of information and ideas- instead, the same old tricks are used, just in new formats, and more efficient ways. "Fake news" existed long before the written word but now it can be controlled and disseminated across the globe in seconds, with fine precision and control, the results monitored closely so new efforts are more effective. A room full of paid trolls can give the impression of the consent and agreement of tens of thousands. The "bad ones" can be found easily and monitored, badgered into silence or impotence by hateful behavior. The internet made fascism cheaper, faster and easier.

There isn't an easy counter for this at all. This isn't a "failure of leftism" or the result of some greasy neckbeard being called unfuckable one too many times. It's something rotten within humans, a vestigial part that never had a chance to drop off before it became an encumbrance. By adopting the same tactics to fight it, you become the same problem.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

DesperateDan posted:

There isn't an easy counter for this at all. This isn't a "failure of leftism" or the result of some greasy neckbeard being called unfuckable one too many times. It's something rotten within humans, a vestigial part that never had a chance to drop off before it became an encumbrance. By adopting the same tactics to fight it, you become the same problem.

The best way of fighting this fear is, like with other phobias, exposure. It's notable that people who live in cities are way more left wing and open to other cultures. They aren't necessarily paragons of righteousness. You hear plenty of low-level racism from city-dwellers, about taxi-drivers who can't speak English, or restaurant workers with no idea of hygiene. But despite this, city dwellers are almost always OK with other peoples existing, and existing near them. They realize that the "other" are people like them, who deserve to exist and live their lives in their own way (even if their cooking is unbearably stinky or their religious festivals block traffic.)

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
It all went to poo poo when helldump got closed down imo

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Yeah, that's why they flip out over girls playing video games while at the same time bemoaning the fact that they can't find a girlfriend who likes videogames. I suppose the ideal is a girl who loves videogames, but doesn't talk about them, particularly in a critical way.

I think it's less the fact that it's a girl playing video games and more it's a girl playing video games that doesn't belong to them, personally.

They're the kind of thirsty where even the presence of the opposite sex is an affront. This is how incel communities where no one's allowed to talk about dating or having friends get formed.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Tesseraction posted:

But also merges strongly with the PUA community who also believe that women are dumb idiots who can be won over using the cheat codes contained in my book, $19.99 on Amazon dot com.
Yeah but PUAs, like most scam artists, exist because there's a real problem with a lack of credible alternatives. MGTOW exist for the same reason. Nobody is giving them non-lovely dating advice.

DesperateDan posted:

There are other major biases in play as well, especially guilt by association and the overuse of anecdotes.

Since we're talking about Internet communities, the latter is an especially large problem, and Reddit in particular flat-out encourages it via its format. Anecdotal evidence can be overcome with good data-backed arguments, but people that really know their poo poo think that it's beneath them to try any type of outreach.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

You don't think that our society discourages or shames women for admitting that they might want flirting, hookups, and sex?

It totally does, which isn't what you said. You said

Neurolimal posted:

Meanwhile women are given the impression that they are liberated and progressive, which is proven wrong when they display how tightly the double-standards of sexism still cling to them when they exhaust the entirety of their personal bios listing everything they dont want or are afraid to admit wanting (resulting in the already impersonal and timid partners to become even more monotonous and bland).

Which,
a. sounds like you're blaming women for sexism
b. sounds like you think all women are bad at sex
c. sounds like you have women issues
d. sounds like you think knowing what you don't want in bed=what you are afraid to admit wanting in bed, which, is not only incredibly gross, but a very bad misunderstanding to make. knowing your partners limits is good, and projecting your sexual hangups onto them is frankly, really disgusting
e. please don't refer to women as timid
f. maybe they aren't monotonous and bland; maybe you project a menacing aura or a bad aura and that has resulted in bad sex for you

hope this helps

:tipshat:

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

OneEightHundred posted:

Yeah but PUAs, like most scam artists, exist because there's a real problem with a lack of credible alternatives. MGTOW exist for the same reason. Nobody is giving them non-lovely dating advice.

There are lots of decent self-help books and columns about dating for men out there. But a lot of these guys attracted to PUA stuff have really twisted personalities. They loathe women. I can see why they have a problem getting a date, they practically vibrate with "I am going to murder you if you refuse me." Women can *smell* that. It's a survival tactic.

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
My understanding is that involuntary male celibacy typically works itself out over a generation or two. I wouldn't consider it an actual problem tbh.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OneEightHundred posted:

Not quite - there's a poo poo ton of credible alternatives they just don't just Totally Promise to provide the Konami Code to gettin'em wet. PUA is so enticing because it promises even the creepiest motherfucker an even playing field with *rolls extremely dated sexy-man dice* Orlando Bloom.

The reality is that the decent advice is harder - and we've seen from many of the target audience that they feel effort is something to be sneered at. As a CompSci grad I can appreciate the desire to have computers do the hard work so you don't have to, but frankly I've always preferred analogue to digital.

No pun intended.

There are lots of decent self-help books and columns about dating for men out there. But a lot of these guys attracted to PUA stuff have really twisted personalities. They loathe women. I can see why they have a problem getting a date, they practically vibrate with "I am going to murder you if you refuse me." Women can *smell* that. It's a survival tactic.

One thing that is useful about these assholes putting out books is even back in 07 one of my friends was giving me a rundown of the assholes in the room trying the physical-touching techniques. Makes for great knowledge of how to 'accidentally' ruin the effect with an ill-timed walk-past-and-jostle.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The PUA bullshit also sells because it promises all the sex with none of the commitment. It really appeals to people who are uninterested in any sort of connection or who are just tremendously selfish. Or both. It also appeals to people who bought into "women are pure evil" nonsense. The view is that women are only interested in your money and not you at all so just hump'n'dump all day every day.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The PUA bullshit also sells because it promises all the sex with none of the commitment. It really appeals to people who are uninterested in any sort of connection or who are just tremendously selfish. Or both. It also appeals to people who bought into "women are pure evil" nonsense. The view is that women are only interested in your money and not you at all so just hump'n'dump all day every day.

After all, objects are disposable!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

stone cold posted:

Which,
d. sounds like you think knowing what you don't want in bed=what you are afraid to admit wanting in bed, which, is not only incredibly gross, but a very bad misunderstanding to make. knowing your partners limits is good, and projecting your sexual hangups onto them is frankly, really disgusting
f. maybe they aren't monotonous and bland; maybe you project a menacing aura or a bad aura and that has resulted in bad sex for you

hope this helps

I apologize for the misunderstanding, but:

A & B aren't really what I wrote or intended. None of the post intends to shift blame, rather that we figure out why it spreads and if there is a deeper issue. I'm not sure what bad at sex entails; so long as everyone's having a good time I don't think someone is "failing" at sex.

C is kinda weird. There's not really a way to discuss this topic from a male point of view without resulting in coming off as strange like that. It's the result of how extreme MRA pundits have poisoned the topic of male double-standards.

D isn't the intention whatsoever. The point is a combination of 1. The effects of sexism resulting in these strange anti-profiles, where the participants have less of an active positive understanding, but instead a minefield of off-the-table subjects. As for the "afraid to admit" part, its less a fear and more the "have your cake and eat it too" issue where someone has a Hot Person list and an Ugly Person list. Knowing from personal experience (hashtag humblebrag hashtag narcissistic) a lot of these lists dissolve (often at the writers own choice) if you're attractive enough. It's an issue where people intend to sound sophisticated and above carnal passions, while still wanting that (which is entirely fine). It sets up an average person for failure because they dont know anything about you and are coming across and guarded and cold, while favoring older richer men (which isn't a bad thing to be into, mind) who get to walk past those limitations. It's just a lack of honesty that results in meeker partners getting their hopes up.

apologies for the skeevy site, but its not a new experiment and its laid out simply using modern resources . The TLDR is that if Generic Model can ask to gently caress you and get a positive response, then whats the point of wasting your profile establishing a list saying "dont ask to gently caress me" beyond draining any sort of emotion from you and your partner?

E is a misundeestanding; the timid is used to describe the man.

F is entirely possible, though I haven't really had to deal with that since I got fit, so vOv

In the event that this gets personal, I'l go ahead and lay out my background 100%: I was overweight and depressed until I was 20 (and as a result didnt date), then I got on appropriate medicine, lost a ton of weight and picked up a lot of hobbies, and decided to date; on the gay side I had a lot of success and fun, meeting cool people my age and finally getting out of the house. On the straight side I didn't have much luck, which slowly wore me down; I was constantly ghosted after multiple dates where we were clearly having fun, which just left me confused and even more depressed (thinking that there was something wrong with me that nobody would tell me. Yay ghosting). Things looked up when I cut myself off from dating again, got in even better shape, and got a better job, and now I have a partner I really love.

So, yeah. Not really MRA material. I just have experienced what average straight people, gay people, and above-average/attractive people deal with WRT dating. There's very blatant problems with straight dating likely as a result of our culture and double-standards, because they are pretty nonexistent in gay dating.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 30, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tesseraction posted:

Not quite - there's a poo poo ton of credible alternatives they just don't just Totally Promise to provide the Konami Code to gettin'em wet. PUA is so enticing because it promises even the creepiest motherfucker an even playing field with *rolls extremely dated sexy-man dice* Orlando Bloom.

There's a lot of credible alternatives for well adjusted people. The PUA audience aren't well adjusted, they are broken people with a stunted understanding of society and a limited emotional capacity / empathy. Which would be hard to pin on anything but socioeconomic conditions, 90% of the time.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Ironically, a lot of the guys interested in PUA stuff *are* longing for an actual relationship. They are just extremely broken people and don't really understand what a relationship is. They want a woman of their own, but they loathe women. They also loathe themselves. So they project their feelings of self-hatred onto the women that don't want to date them, and seek a "cure" for their own self-hatred by tricking women into sleeping with them.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

There's a lot of credible alternatives for well adjusted people. The PUA audience aren't well adjusted, they are broken people with a stunted understanding of society and a limited emotional capacity / empathy. Which would be hard to pin on anything but socioeconomic conditions, 90% of the time.

I'd honestly pin it on terrible formative experiences. Specifically, middle-to-highschool age young (specifically straight) males are entirely dependent, social status wise, on whether or not they can "get" a girlfriend. This leads to bullying, insinuations of homosexuality and ostracism. Socially awkward young men are put through absolute hell in that period (I can only speak for men in this situation, I'm sure it's the same or worse for women). In this age of the internet, the bullying follows them home. In the eyes of their peers, the inability to prove themselves worthy of "love" (regardless of actual, sexual contact) makes their life worthless. Many young, socially awkward men then cope with this by blaming women. After all, they're the ones judging them unworthy (instead of placing the blame where it belongs, in their peers judgement of someone's character by their relationship status in the first place). The worst of these don't grow out of it. They seethe. Now, with online communities that cater to such young men, they find reassurance that they're "right," that it's just the women cruelly withholding status from them. They turn into online hate machines that we see today.

I know this, as I lived it for six out of my seven years of 6-12th grade. Luckily, instead of blaming women, I turned my resentment toward the individuals (male and female) who did the bullying. But for the grace of God, I might have been taken in by the MRA's of today if I had the access I do now to the online world. I think this problem is going to get worse before it gets better.

Ironically, a lot of the guys interested in PUA stuff *are* longing for an actual relationship. They are just extremely broken people and don't really understand what a relationship is. They want a woman of their own, but they loathe women. They also loathe themselves. So they project their feelings of self-hatred onto the women that don't want to date them, and seek a "cure" for their own self-hatred by tricking women into sleeping with them.

It's this from what I've seen. Most just want to feel loved. To feel worth something. They're broken and need help. But instead of help, they get radicalized by their peers.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

stone cold posted:

Which,

hope this helps

If your criticism of an arguments starts with "sounds like," then you are about to post a strawman. Delete the post and restart with criticism of what was actually said rather than what you think it "sounds like."

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Talmonis posted:

I'd honestly pin it on terrible formative experiences. Specifically, middle-to-highschool age young (specifically straight) males are entirely dependent, social status wise, on whether or not they can "get" a girlfriend. This leads to bullying, insinuations of homosexuality and ostracism. Socially awkward young men are put through absolute hell in that period (I can only speak for men in this situation, I'm sure it's the same or worse for women). In this age of the internet, the bullying follows them home. In the eyes of their peers, the inability to prove themselves worthy of "love" (regardless of actual, sexual contact) makes their life worthless. Many young, socially awkward men then cope with this by blaming women. After all, they're the ones judging them unworthy (instead of placing the blame where it belongs, in their peers judgement of someone's character by their relationship status in the first place).

Something Awful is big on this bullying of young men by other young men in terms of their lack of sexual experience - "virgin" is one of the most popular insults here.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If these sexually incapable young men are sitting around waiting to be radicalized into any ideology that comes around claiming to help them out, couldn't we just push them towards any of the classic religions that promoted celibacy? Just make them all monks or something. Could secularism have a (small) share of the blame here?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

21 Muns posted:

If these sexually incapable young men are sitting around waiting to be radicalized into any ideology that comes around claiming to help them out, couldn't we just push them towards any of the classic religions that promoted celibacy? Just make them all monks or something. Could secularism have a (small) share of the blame here?

It might have shifted things a nanoangstrom at most.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

21 Muns posted:

I think it's actually related to the decline in religion. Note how many of these young men have a background in religious families but are vehement atheists (of the "your ridiculous sky fairy god" type). They seem to have taken on board the hardline religious attitude towards women (to be submissive to men) but no longer have the religious and social context for it.

BarbarianElephant fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I am feeling really surprised the concept of "they just need to get laid to be more leftist" is getting traction in this thread. It seems like such a school yard insult type of logic.

The whole thing of calling people virgins is weird, it's such a teenage type of concept. No significant population of adults in america are virgins. Quick search of the internet says 1.2% of men and .2% of women never have sex.

I honestly can't believe this thread is giving the amount of credence it is to the idea "bro just needs to get his dick wet to embrace more marxist ideas of wealth distribution and more social equality of minority groups". It feels like logic on the level of calling people "cucks".

• Locked thread