Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

you can get "stacks" of the same material but those stacks don't stack -- i.e., you can have a stack of, I think it's 25 devilstrand, but not two stacks of devilstrand in the same tile, and nothing else can flop into that tile.

This can cause problems sometimes if you're butchering in a freezer or refrigerated room -- butcher too much at once and you'll flood the room tiles, the overflow will hold the room doors open, letting all the cold air out, then everything spoils . . . so much muffalo wasted.

So are you making a single stockpile square beside the crafting station? Do you put crafting stations in the same location? I'm using my phone right now so I can't see that picture very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So are you making a single stockpile square beside the crafting station? Do you put crafting stations in the same location? I'm using my phone right now so I can't see that picture very well.

Basically, small stockpiles by each station, yeah. Not always a single tile -- usually 3x3 or larger, just because my haulers are only so efficient, and I don't want the central low-priority stockpile clogged with raw materials. For my stonecutters and scluptors the raw materials stockpiles are fairly large and depend on what I need -- for example, the 9x9 stonecutter workshop has a 4x9 stockpile for granite chunks, a 4x4 stockpile for slate chunks, and a 4x4 stockpile for marble chunks, because the haulers filling those piles are making lots of long trips.

Kitchen stockpiles are fairly complicated -- there it's mostly 1 and 2 tiles, yeah, but that works there because I have a lot of timber wolf animal haulers and they're hauling from the freezer stockpile immediately adjacent. One thing I did change recently was I stopped storing Corn in the freezer because of its long shelf life -- it all goes in the central stockpile too.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 29, 2016

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It won't anyway -- haulers always take things to the highest priority stockpile with space available. Only time "nearest" stockpile happens is with finished crafted goods and those will get taken back to the roofed central stockpile (though they should all be using drop on floor anyway).

or wait maybe i'm misunderstanding you

I am talking about the hauler loop that happens when you have two stockpiles of the same thing but one has a higher priority where raw materials get consumed rapidly piecemeal leading to haulers constantly hauling small amounts several meters away. You are better with more cooks than hauler(s) going back and forth getting called to carry a stack of 10 from the othe rside of the map.

Without mods however cooks do the same thing as they rush to cook every time someone takes a meal.

Some people prefer having an area restricted assistant over hauling larger stacks to larger stockpiles. There are other way to handle this without mods but require micro management or a willingness to stick cooks in the freezer.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

McGiggins posted:

I have an issue where, upon hitting Generate at the Create world screen, it goes through the generation process, and then returns me to the Create World Screen.

Anyone else have this problem?

What mods are you using? Sounds like an error on world generation. Turn on debugging and check the log.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

oohhboy posted:

I am talking about the hauler loop that happens when you have two stockpiles of the same thing but one has a higher priority where raw materials get consumed rapidly piecemeal leading to haulers constantly hauling small amounts several meters away. You are better with more cooks than hauler(s) going back and forth getting called to carry a stack of 10 from the othe rside of the map.

Without mods however cooks do the same thing as they rush to cook every time someone takes a meal.

Ahhh, yeah, I just saw that as inevitable short of mods and I'm trying to minimize mod use for now while I'm still writing this guide. Something like Crafting Hysteresis seems like just more settings to explain, at least for me right now.

I just solved the problem with shitloads of trained animal haulers. Labradors and wolves everywhere. The only real hauling issues I've had are 1) getting the crops in when all the corn ripens at once, solved by using manual priorities to make everyone temporarily care more about hauling than anything else, and 2) hauling all the goddam stone chunks from across the map, which animal haulers don't seem to like to help with so I had to solve it with patience instead.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 29, 2016

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

oohhboy posted:

Solution: Cook simple meals until you have a lot. Cook fine/lavish meals forever. Your cooks will only rush to cook when new ingredients become available.

Or get Crafting Hysteresis I guess.

Also get Feed the Colonists.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 29, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i've found an autodoor leading to a very small kitchen (when i say small, i mean like 3x3 interior space) is the best option. there's some power and component requirements associated with it, but a wooden autodoor will mean that in general a cook's walk to pick up cooking supplies is very short (typically under 5 hexes in my experience) and is unimpeded the entire way. it also means that cooked food goes straight back into the freezer where it belongs, and the chef will frequently grab his next ingredient while he's in there.

and yes, a separate butcher's room (again, i do 3x3 with an autodoor to the freezer) helps the food poisoning situation a lot. blood, unsurprisingly, is FILTHY, but as long as it's kept in the abattoir it bothers nobody.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Quick question: does this game ever go on sale? It's a bit too pricey for me at the moment but I'm looking for something with a bit more to do than Prison Architect (especially now that PA has hit v2 and won't be seeing many more features) and this looks like it'll fit the biscuit.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No, in fact it will get more expensive over time. I can't quite remember how much I got it for but it might have been 1/3 or 1/4 the price it is now.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Coolguye posted:

blood, unsurprisingly, is FILTHY, but as long as it's kept in the abattoir it bothers nobody.

I bet these colonists eat their steak well done

With ketchup.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Leal posted:

I bet these colonists eat their steak well done

With ketchup.

name a colonist who just vomited after me

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
I stupidly enabled making meals out of insect meat; now all my meals contain insect meat and my colonists wont eat them.

Problem is they still count as meals so my colonists wont make new meals and are eating raw food instead. I tried forbidding the meals and that wont work. How do I get rid of these meals so I can free up freezer space. The game doesnt differentiate between meal types and Ic ant dump them.

Is literally the only way to forbid meals in my freezer so the guys haul them all out to a dumping zone (configured to accept meals) then wait for the bastards to rot?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

d3c0y2 posted:

I stupidly enabled making meals out of insect meat; now all my meals contain insect meat and my colonists wont eat them.

Problem is they still count as meals so my colonists wont make new meals and are eating raw food instead. I tried forbidding the meals and that wont work. How do I get rid of these meals so I can free up freezer space. The game doesnt differentiate between meal types and Ic ant dump them.

Is literally the only way to forbid meals in my freezer so the guys haul them all out to a dumping zone (configured to accept meals) then wait for the bastards to rot?

You might be able to trade them too, but yeah, rotting is probably a good suggestion.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
As with most things in life, Molotov's are the answer.

Put them in an outside stockpile and blow them up.

amiantos
Oct 19, 2012
Last two days when I went to work and ended up talking about RimWorld most people's reaction to my layman's explanation of it ("It's like you're project managing a space colony, so you tell everyone what to do and then you sort of just hope they do it, a lot of the time they just end up complaining or fighting with each other, but it usually mostly works out OK.") the reaction I get is, "So, it's like your job here? So you leave work and go home to more work?"

I'm basically the director of technology for a retail gardening chain. Last night while playing I couldn't help but keep thinking about this comparison and how it never dawned on me before. Being fairly high up in a company has given me a new perspective on companies and how they work and survive, and it is very RimWorld... everyone is just fumbling through poo poo typically, usually loving it up, but getting through. If anyone lasts long enough to get good at what they do, it's only a matter of time before they're gone or have been driven insane.

Life is great.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

d3c0y2 posted:

Is that a new thing? Huh, you get a slight mood penalty from using bug meat but they used to eat it fine.

amiantos posted:

Last two days when I went to work and ended up talking about RimWorld most people's reaction to my layman's explanation of it ("It's like you're project managing a space colony, so you tell everyone what to do and then you sort of just hope they do it, a lot of the time they just end up complaining or fighting with each other, but it usually mostly works out OK.") the reaction I get is, "So, it's like your job here? So you leave work and go home to more work?"

I'm basically the director of technology for a retail gardening chain. Last night while playing I couldn't help but keep thinking about this comparison and how it never dawned on me before. Being fairly high up in a company has given me a new perspective on companies and how they work and survive, and it is very RimWorld... everyone is just fumbling through poo poo typically, usually loving it up, but getting through. If anyone lasts long enough to get good at what they do, it's only a matter of time before they're gone or have been driven insane.

Life is great.

Where's that picture of the german guy going home from his warehouse job to play forklift simulator 2015.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Zhentar, do you know exactly what the changes to "sight" were in a16? Do bionic eyes help with crafting at all, or is it just eyes -> ranged combat, arms -> melee and crafting, legs -> movement speed?

Is there anywhere that breaks down precisely, in detail, exactly what tasks can be improved by bionic eyes, arms, and legs?

It's all such a mishmash; for example, I found this chart that supposedly shows what Sight influences:

You can see it in game. Just click the "i" on the colonist's detail pane, and then click on individual stats and it will show you the breakdown of how much each capacity contributes, and the cap, if there is one.

In A16, Melee & Shooting accuracy benefit from Sight without limit, and Healing Quality and Healing Speed (tending) benefit from up to 130% Sight. Nothing else benefits from >100% sight.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

amiantos posted:

Life is great.

Between all the prisoner organ harvesting, slave trading, and cannibalism that sounds like the most hardcore badass metal as gently caress retail gardening chain ever.

amiantos
Oct 19, 2012

scuba school sucks posted:

Between all the prisoner organ harvesting, slave trading, and cannibalism that sounds like the most hardcore badass metal as gently caress retail gardening chain ever.

Admittedly none of that happens but there is way more incestuous loving at the parties than in Rimworld at the very least.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Zhentar posted:

In A16, Melee & Shooting accuracy benefit from Sight without limit, and Healing Quality and Healing Speed (tending) benefit from up to 130% Sight. Nothing else benefits from >100% sight.

It seems super obvious now, but giving doctors bionic eyes to help them treat people better never actually occured to me

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I assume that the >130% bonus is like, X-Ray vision.

"Hmm, yes, I see where the internal bleeding is. You're going to be okay."

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
"It's in your liver, so after we amputate your lungs you'll be right as rain." *proceeds to remove leg*

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
So just a heads up for any of you folks running the Call of Cthulhu mod, sanity loss can kill your animals or make them go berzerk too so don't use strange meat exclusively as animal food :shepface: I think I'm going to just start cremating this stuff

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

GlyphGryph posted:

"It's in your liver, so after we amputate your lungs you'll be right as rain." *proceeds to remove leg*

Alas, A16 surgery failures are local to the surgery site.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Danaru posted:

It seems super obvious now, but giving doctors bionic eyes to help them treat people better never actually occured to me

I'm seeing a "but who will bell the cat?" problem there.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

OwlFancier posted:

Where's that picture of the german guy going home from his warehouse job to play forklift simulator 2015.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I swear I've seen a version that is actual photographs.

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'

Danaru posted:

So just a heads up for any of you folks running the Call of Cthulhu mod, sanity loss can kill your animals or make them go berzerk too so don't use strange meat exclusively as animal food :shepface: I think I'm going to just start cremating this stuff

I prefer to process it into rocket fuel

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I swear I've seen a version that is actual photographs.

Yeah there is one, but I don't have it to hand I'm afraid.

A shameful memegoon.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Zhentar posted:

Alas, A16 surgery failures are local to the surgery site.

Tell that to the guy in my colony who needed a peg leg and ended up being crushed to death

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Mister Adequate posted:

Yeah there is one, but I don't have it to hand I'm afraid.

A shameful memegoon.

Just search for "forklift simulator meme"

Also, tell me about the raiders that murder your direct reports with grenades and pulse rifles.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Class Warcraft posted:

Computer, set gayness,heat,and moisture to maximum. Simulate. Yes, excellent...excellent.

This needs more attention than it got. :kiss:

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So I've surrounded my base with an outside granite wall, I'd there a down side to doing this? It funnels guys into a kill box but I'm still early and using bows

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guys might try to tunnel through and without doors to certain areas getting to them would take a long time if you sortie to stop them. If they tunnel through they bypass most traditional kill boxes anyway.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

oohhboy posted:

Guys might try to tunnel through and without doors to certain areas getting to them would take a long time if you sortie to stop them. If they tunnel through they bypass most traditional kill boxes anyway.

Figured there would be a counter to it, I'm along an ocean so should I make three entrances with kill boxes? Or should I put granite doors and call it good?

Lastly, how do you get components other than compacted machinery? I think I've mined all mine

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Trade, there's also a very expensive way to manufacture them once researched.

Trade really does provide a good amount though, so you should be good for the mid game with that alone.

Disassembling pieces of space ship debris also generates 20 components iirc.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is a component assembly bench which does that for you, it is big so make room for it. Making a component can take a lot of time so keep that in mind too.

Tunnellers will tunnel no matter the setup, you can stop this if you sortie and disrupt them. Do this enough they stop and attack like normal raiders. Mortars might work, but it is faster and easier to place a sniper or two as they aren't very aggressive while tunnelling. IIRC they only tunnel once. Once they are through they act like normal raiders again so you can use the outer wall like slate armour.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
I've personally started making mining outposts and having guarded muffallos transport to and from. Once my first one dries up, I'll just disassemble and move it all back home and make a new outpost. Outpost gets food from the mainland, mainland gets steel/components/plasteel from the outpost.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

A component assembly bench is a waste of time since it costs 30 components. Your better off using those 30 components to construct an temperature controlled sunlamp area for growing a cash crop and just trading for components.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How profitable is Beer in comparison? I always make a lot of it and it sells quite well for a low effort product.