Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

it is posted:

Are pancakes fried?

Deep fried? No. They're cooked in oil though you might manage without with a nonstick pan (not sure how it'd turn out).

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I always use butter for pancakes, much tastier.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Need a recipe for maple and _______ glaze for ham

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

Need a recipe for maple and _______ glaze for ham

Mustard. Equal parts maple and dijon or brown mustard, season to taste, slather repeatedly.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

I love cultured French butter. I had a stack of it in cans, but just ran out and the only places that sell it are Vietnamese markets a county away. I need recommendations on other good butters because the poo poo they have at the grocery is flavorless by comparison.

Kerrygold Irish butter is pretty good, and Costco carries it if you have one of those near you.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Steve Yun posted:

I love cultured French butter. I had a stack of it in cans, but just ran out and the only places that sell it are Vietnamese markets a county away. I need recommendations on other good butters because the poo poo they have at the grocery is flavorless by comparison.

I'd expect you of all people to know how easy it is to make cultured butter. Buying cream to make butter isn't much more expensive than just buying butter, and can be cheaper than buying cultured butter. It takes a day of prep, but you just let it sit like yogurt. I don't even bother buying butter any more unless it's for ghee, because like you said, cultured butter is absolutely delicious and the normal stuff doesn't compare.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I got called out! Yeah I'll probably get Kerrygold right now but I'll look into making cultured butter during vacation

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey if my buttermilk says it's pasteurized, is it useless as a starter for making butter?

What about Mexican sour cream that says cultured pasteurized?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 26, 2016

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
For all those who replied about the cassarole dishes, thanks I grabbed the OXO one. Hopefully it doesn't shatter on me.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I've been in love with Rustichella d'Abruzzo pasta - are there any other widely available awesome pastas I should try?

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
I'm a newbie in terms of wine but like to have a small collection available.
One of the most difficult things for me is managing it. I was wondering if there are good free wine management programs.
Ideally, something that is a cloud solution, allows me to enter a wine into it and can also simplify looking up data about that wine (i.e., ratings, food/wine pairings, ... ) without me having to google it always.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Are gummies or taffy going to be harder to make?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mom gets a ham every year for Christmas... this one was salty as gently caress and kind of gristly/stringy. Gravy was salty, blah blah.

Are there certain types or brands of hams to avoid?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

goodness posted:

Are gummies or taffy going to be harder to make?

Depending on how you qualify gummies, they can be super simple. It can be as easy as making jello all the way up to replicating a commercial a gummy recipe. A quick google turns up a whole bunch of recipes that are basically Jello, Knox and water, but personally, I don't like the texture of how those turned out. Here's a wiki-how with a classic recipe as the second option. http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Gummy-Bears . That's a more classic candy way to do it. Either method ends with pouring into molds and allowing to set. So again, absolute beginner to some skill required.

As far as taffy goes, it is pretty forgiving, and the ingredient list is dead simple. Heat half the ingredients to 275, remove from heat, add flavor and color, chill briefly, pull, portion, enjoy.

Either one seems pretty simple so long as you have an accurate candy thermometer and both require fairly low temperatures to get what you want.

I think more of the difficulty comes down to ingredients and equipment.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I'd expect you of all people to know how easy it is to make cultured butter. Buying cream to make butter isn't much more expensive than just buying butter, and can be cheaper than buying cultured butter. It takes a day of prep, but you just let it sit like yogurt. I don't even bother buying butter any more unless it's for ghee, because like you said, cultured butter is absolutely delicious and the normal stuff doesn't compare.

I don't understand why cultured butters are dying on the shelves, while Kerrygold and Finlandia are tasteless but succeeding. Guess it's time to make my own.

Edit: they may be technically cultured, but the taste is way too mild to lay claim to the name

baquerd fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 28, 2016

Lost Canyoneer
Nov 1, 2009
Okay, I'm sure this is a dumb question, but it's probably not the first one in this thread.

I have this recipe for Chicken Marsala that calls for 4 shallots, minced. I have no experience with shallots at all. At the supermarket I noticed that shallots consist of a bulb that is subdivided into 2 to 4 separate parts, kind of like the way garlic is subdivided into cloves (just way fewer).

My question is this: is a shallot the whole bulb, or one of the sub-bulbs? If I have four bulbs, each with three sub-bulbs, does mean I have four shallots or twelve?

Please advise, and thanks in advance!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
the grouping of bulbs is one shallot but to be frank this isn't a very useful distinction, because you want to use a certain amount of it by weight, so it doesn't really matter how many individual bulbs you use to get to that amount.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Lost Canyoneer posted:

Okay, I'm sure this is a dumb question, but it's probably not the first one in this thread.

I have this recipe for Chicken Marsala that calls for 4 shallots, minced. I have no experience with shallots at all. At the supermarket I noticed that shallots consist of a bulb that is subdivided into 2 to 4 separate parts, kind of like the way garlic is subdivided into cloves (just way fewer).

My question is this: is a shallot the whole bulb, or one of the sub-bulbs? If I have four bulbs, each with three sub-bulbs, does mean I have four shallots or twelve?

Please advise, and thanks in advance!

The way people typically phrase it, you've got twelve. I frequently see them sold already split up into "cloves". Like JawKnee said though, it kinda depends on size/weight more than anything else.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hauki posted:

The way people typically phrase it, you've got twelve. I frequently see them sold already split up into "cloves". Like JawKnee said though, it kinda depends on size/weight more than anything else.

I have never heard people refer to the "sub" shallots like you mention. It's always just whole shallots. One shallot means a whole shallot, all "sub" bulbs included.

e: it also doesn't really matter. Just take 4 average sized ones and if you have small shallots just use 5. It won't matter that much if you have a bit under or over the exact amount. Cooking isn't that exact.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

spankmeister posted:

e: it also doesn't really matter. Just take 4 average sized ones and if you have small shallots just use 5. It won't matter that much if you have a bit under or over the exact amount. Cooking isn't that exact.
Right. You like a lot of shallots use a lot. You don't? Don't use as much.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
This is a photo of 13 shallots. I have never heard of people talking about 'sub' bulbs/shallots/cloves either.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Use all the shallots, they're delicious.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

spankmeister posted:

I have never heard people refer to the "sub" shallots like you mention. It's always just whole shallots. One shallot means a whole shallot, all "sub" bulbs included.

Whole shallots. I rarely see them sold that way, but usually cured and split into the single "cloves". Maybe it's a difference in size or variety? :shrug:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
That looks like about 12-13 shallots to me. Think of them the same way you would onions, if you cut off the stems. How many "onions" do you see in that picture?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

That looks like about 12-13 shallots to me. Think of them the same way you would onions, if you cut off the stems. How many "onions" do you see in that picture?

That's exactly my point, most people wouldn't consider that a single shallot and onions don't grow in clusters with a single root system supporting multiple connected bulbs.
This is a dumb argument though, so use however many shallots you feel are appropriate. The more the merrier~

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Hauki posted:

That's exactly my point, most people wouldn't consider that a single shallot and onions don't grow in clusters with a single root system supporting multiple connected bulbs.
Not to disagree with your point, but some onions do. Potato onions, for example.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I make great ragu bolognese sauce that I freeze. Can I reheat the frozen sauce to build a lasagna then keep the lasagna in the fridge until the next day and bake it?

Lost Canyoneer
Nov 1, 2009

The Midniter posted:

Use all the shallots, they're delicious.

Yeah, after cooking with them I really agree.

Thanks for your answers everyone. I'm a shallot convert!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I've got some leftover ham from christmas (bone + ~1/2 to 1 lb of meat) and mirepoix veggies on hand, what's something tasty I could whip up with it that's more creative than your typical split pea soup?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Enourmo posted:

I've got some leftover ham from christmas (bone + ~1/2 to 1 lb of meat) and mirepoix veggies on hand, what's something tasty I could whip up with it that's more creative than your typical split pea soup?

I've done something like pot pie with similar ingredients. Sweat the vegetables until they are a little soft with seasonings of your choice. Add a couple tablespoons of flour and butter, cook until all that comes together. Next mix in the ham, chopped finely, add half a cup of stock of some kind, I used chicken stock, and stir it together a bit. Next transfer it into a deep pie plate or casserole dish and cover with pie crust or lightly docked puff pastry. Bake until golden brown and bubbling at the edges.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

SubG posted:

Not to disagree with your point, but some onions do. Potato onions, for example.
Even normal onions sometimes have a little sub-bulb in there.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Ranter posted:

I make great ragu bolognese sauce that I freeze. Can I reheat the frozen sauce to build a lasagna then keep the lasagna in the fridge until the next day and bake it?

It would be safer to thaw the sauce overnight in the fridge, then make the lasagna with the chilled sauce. I'm sure the risk isn't that high, but you want to avoid having the sauce sitting too long in the temperature "danger zone" of 5C - 60C (40F - 140F), since that's where bacteria really start to breed in it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
That's a good idea. Thank you.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I decided nuts to the air fryer, any recommendations for a crock pot to cook for 1 plus leftovers (and maybe if a potential Mrs Leal comes around)? I wanna make pulled meats, chilis and soups mainly.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Leal posted:

I decided nuts to the air fryer, any recommendations for a crock pot to cook for 1 plus leftovers (and maybe if a potential Mrs Leal comes around)? I wanna make pulled meats, chilis and soups mainly.

I got my sister and her husband an Instant Pot for their wedding. They don't have a lot of room, so it's useful for them to have one device instead of separate one-task rice cooker, slow cooker, and pressure cooker. I can't personally vouch for it since I've never actually even seen one in person, but they seem to like it. If I didn't already have the other devices I'd probably pick one up.

https://smile.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-DUO60-Multi-Functional-Pressure/dp/B00FLYWNYQ

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I bought a buddy that same instant pot for Christmas. They say the construction is very nice with a stainless steel center. No real cooking experience with it yet.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I was gifted a 6qt Instant Pot for Christmas this year and made pot roast in it a couple days ago, it came out great. The inner pot has a multi-ply bottom and the saute mode actually works well for browning meat. I cooked the meat(beef chuck) for 50m on high pressure and it was falling apart tender, I think I'll do 40m next time since I like it a little firmer than that, also the vegetables got over cooked but that was a gently caress up on my part, next time I'll put them in for the last 15m or so which should get them plenty tender. Normally it would take 5-6 hours in a slow cooker to get the results I did so I'm really happy with it so far.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Is there a bean and legume thread? I want to make main dishes that involve beans, lentils, peas, etc., as an effort to eat less meat. Unfortunately, every recipe I find is some kind of bean soup. I think I'd get bored with that quickly. Is there a thread (or a site) for making main dishes with beans and legumes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Cooks Illustrated kind of crapped on them, but I love the Instant Pot.
Mrs. Squashy even uses one to cook professionally.