Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Lester Shy posted:

Thinking about clearing out the bargain bin section of my wishlist. Any strong feelings about these four?

Will Massive Chalice hold me over if I loved XCOM but can't afford XCOM 2 yet?

Sanctuary rpg is repetitive and boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Kikas posted:

Yo, if you want a nice, funny, engaging, replayable and challenging, but a bit aged, sims-like game, they boy is Ghost Master for you! And it's just 0,74 Eurobux.

Seriously. This is one of my favorite games of all time. It's amazing, it went under the radar upon initial release, and it's mechanically rich and wonderful. It's like solving puzzles with a HUGE variety of unique ghosts you place around The Sims houses and their powers all interact in fun ways. Add to this about a dozen (or two?) levels with varying objective and secret objectives (not to mention every single human is unique in their personalities and fears) and you have an absolutely AMAZING spooky systemic puzzle game that holds up well even to this day. It may take some extra steps to get working on Win7+, but they're fairly simple and INFINITELY worth it.

PLEASE buy Ghost Master for a buck and do yourself a lighthearted favor!

Dr Snofeld posted:

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided has an obscene discount for such a recent release. I love the series so much I played through Invisible War more than once, but there's a lot of negativity in the reviews. Is that all related to the microtransaction DLC nonsense or are there deeper problems with the game?

It had some real bad performance issues at launch, ends incredibly abruptly, and had some constant CTD's that have since been resolved.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Need help paring down my list, these games are too drat expensive edition.

From what I can tell I would love the poo poo out of all of these. Need to get below $50ish, so like, I guess down to 3.

Leaning towards Batman, SUPERHOT, and Sherlock Holmes. I unno. These games are too drat expensive. Maybe just buy Sherlock and wait for the others to fall more.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Telltale games always seem to eventually hit 6 or 7 bucks, so I'd wait on Batman.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Get Tales from the Borderlands instead. Its their best game.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
How does Deus Ex feel to play? Is stealth fun? Is combat fun?

for reference, I didn't think DX:HR's guns were very fun at all. The sound and animation was just... off.

Also I hated the way you had to game the gently caress out of the system to max your XP gains, like every little thing you did rewarded XP in some way, so there was an optimal way to take out enemies, using a specifically incentivised playstyle that you may not happen to like. Also, stuff like the fact that there was literally no reason ever to do a lethal takedown bothered me. Silent takedowns were faster, quieter, and rewarded more XP than lethal takedowns.

Also there was a ton of jank. For example, if you were at the edge of a corner and a guard was walking up to the other edge and you hit the "Take Down Guard" button as the prompt appeared on screen, half the time the guard would "see" you and the entire place would light up on alert as the guard telepathically set off the alarm because the canned takedown animation positioned you in the guard's cone of vision for a quarter of a second before taking him out with nobody else around.

So has that stuff been cleaned up?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 29, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

kater posted:

From what I can tell I would love the poo poo out of all of these. Need to get below $50ish, so like, I guess down to 3.

Leaning towards Batman, SUPERHOT, and Sherlock Holmes. I unno. These games are too drat expensive. Maybe just buy Sherlock and wait for the others to fall more.

Get rid of Batman, it'll go cheaper and you've already missed the episodic appeal so no sense in not waiting further.

Get rid of Factorio. It's not on sale and never will be. No sense and buying it during the sale.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

kater posted:

Twenty four dollars for a puzzle game seems like a lot - are you absolutely certain Steven's Sausage Roll is a game you'll get that much enjoyment out of?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Dr Snofeld posted:

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided has an obscene discount for such a recent release. I love the series so much I played through Invisible War more than once, but there's a lot of negativity in the reviews. Is that all related to the microtransaction DLC nonsense or are there deeper problems with the game?

There's nothing actually wrong with it but it's so clearly half of a larger story that it just ended up being an unsatisfying experience. The whole is definitely not the sum of its parts.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

kater posted:

The only two things on your list that I've played and liked are SUPERHOT and Dying Light. But you should absolutely definitely get those two games.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I was skipping on Homeworld Deserts of Kharak as I wanted a bigger discount then found out it's cheaper in the bundle with Homeworld Remastered that I already own. Bundle pricing :confused:

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

I watched a friend stream some Age of Decadence and it looked like a really unique RPG experience. I only saw a few hours, though--does anyone have a more holistic opinion on the entire game?

I played Age of Decadence up to about the 2nd Act, then I ran into a scripting bug and kind of fell off it. I should really pick it back up, since it was pretty cool.

The combat's interesting and there are a couple different combat builds. The focus is on dirty fighting, with debuffs and breaking armor playing a really big role. The only bad thing is that it has some bullshit moments, since the enemies can also pull off occasional high damage critical attacks and just ruin you, and there are a few group fights that ultimately come down to pure luck since it's AI fighting AI for 11 out of the 12 turns. Combat in general suffers a bit from a :xcom: feel, since a bit of good or bad luck can really swing a fight and it feels like save scumming is required. Although the smaller fights usually feel good.

The game itself has an interesting setting, kind of a fantasy Rome dystopia. The story gives you some room to make choices and at least pick different ways to solve problems. For example, you can get through most of the game with speech checks, or at least speech check your way into making the fight really easy.

For $8 I'd definitely recommend checking it out. If you have time, there's a demo available which lets you play through the entire first town as any of the classes. That should give you a good idea.

The only cons are that the world's a little empty, and frankly feels like they didn't even need a world map (you mostly just fast travel from place to place). And, each class has it's own part of the story. This is nice since there's a ton of replay value, but it can suck when you see an area that may as well have a neon sign saying "not for you, just move on to your class' area."

Trill Sandwich
Sep 19, 2009
I feel like anyone with even a passing interest in kart racers should pick up Sega All-stars Racing Transformed. I heard it was OK, so I picked it up and it has exceeded all my expectations. It's one of the best local multiplayer games I've played in ages. On that note, Last Fight is also really good, though it seems like no one has ever heard of it. It's essentially just a pretty Power Stone port, but that's what makes it great.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Any thoughts on Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation?

Looks kinda fun for smashing two giant armies together but does it have any depth to it?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I impulse bought Outcast because I loved the demo as a kid. The probability that I actually play it is very low.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Away all Goats posted:

Any thoughts on Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation?

Looks kinda fun for smashing two giant armies together but does it have any depth to it?

It's basically as deep as Sins of a Solar Empire but on land. So not Supcom, but not super simple either.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
On the advice of the thread I picked up Dying Light and it's pretty alright, but one thing that keeps throwing me off is that Roger Craig Smith is just using his normal voice for the main character, which is really close to his Sonic the Hedgehog voice. This, coupled with how much going fast you do in this game, is making me feel like I'm playing a game from an alternate dimension where the Sonic series went way in the other direction after Sonic 06.

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007
Anyone know whether they've fixed the huge, game-breaking bugs in Firewatch yet? I bought it during this year's summer sale and loved the first hour or so. The concept really appeals to me and I really loved the art style. Unfortunately, early in Day 1 the radio disappeared and literally no matter what I did it would not come back so I couldn't move forward at all. I tried restarting the day, restarting the entire game, etc and nothing seemed to help.

I was really disappointed that I ultimately had to have the game refunded, and I've been looking forward to trying it again once they fix the issues. It sounds like this was a reasonably common problem back then. Has anyone else had problems with bugs in Firewatch earlier and given it another try lately?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
They released a Freeroam and commentary update recently so I'd be surprised if it wasn't fixed.

My 10 year old daughter loved that game and while there is a ton of walking stimulators we haven't found any that we like as much as that one.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Dr Snofeld posted:

On the advice of the thread I picked up Dying Light and it's pretty alright, but one thing that keeps throwing me off is that Roger Craig Smith is just using his normal voice for the main character, which is really close to his Sonic the Hedgehog voice. This, coupled with how much going fast you do in this game, is making me feel like I'm playing a game from an alternate dimension where the Sonic series went way in the other direction after Sonic 06.

Any game or media in which Sonic is portrayed as talking is a bad game or media and you should try to forget it immediately.

cp91886
Oct 26, 2005
Anybody played Project Highrise? Is it a worthy SimTower successor? Reviews seem like maybe some of the complexity has been stripped out making it a little shallow.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Trill Sandwich posted:

I feel like anyone with even a passing interest in kart racers should pick up Sega All-stars Racing Transformed. I heard it was OK, so I picked it up and it has exceeded all my expectations. It's one of the best local multiplayer games I've played in ages. On that note, Last Fight is also really good, though it seems like no one has ever heard of it. It's essentially just a pretty Power Stone port, but that's what makes it great.

Its a really great game! Its the closest thing to Crash Team Racing. The amount of depth and detail is incredibly stunning. Everyone get it if you want an actually good kart racer.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Dali Parton posted:

Its a really great game! Its the closest thing to Crash Team Racing. The amount of depth and detail is incredibly stunning. Everyone get it if you want an actually good kart racer.

sega all star racing transformed is the best kart game I've played in my 31 year of gaming.

though admittedly I haven't played anything on the wii u.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Not on Steam, but is $15 a good deal for Gears of War Ultimate Edition?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/gears-of-war-ultimate-edition-for-windows-10/9nblggh3shm5

StrixNebulosa posted:

Twenty four dollars for a puzzle game seems like a lot - are you absolutely certain Steven's Sausage Roll is a game you'll get that much enjoyment out of?

Why is Steven's Sausage Roll so expensive?

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 29, 2016

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Planet Coaster is super cool but it desperately needs a tutorial.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Leper Residue posted:

sega all star racing transformed is the best kart game I've played in my 31 year of gaming.

though admittedly I haven't played anything on the wii u.
I played the WiiU mario kart at a friend's birthday party and found it nowhere near as fun. Racing transformed is really quite fun.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Inzombiac posted:

I impulse bought Outcast because I loved the demo as a kid. The probability that I actually play it is very low.

Jesus Christ.
:wal:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Sivek posted:

Rabi-Ribi is extremely good and has a lot of difficulty options, and it even gives you free buffs if you keep dying at the same part if you want them. The boss fights are dope and there's a lot of them. I'm having a hard time thinking of games that have as many boss fights that are as good as they are in RR. They're all bullet hell themed so that may be too much for some, but it feels and looks cool to dodge a bunch of pretty patterns. It's also very non-linear and repayable. I've been replaying it lately and it's without a doubt one of the best metroidvania's out there gameplay-wise. The only real downside to it is there's too much talking in it and it's not very entertaining, though all talking parts are skippable.

I got Rabi-Ribi due to this post, and I can confirm that it is as rad is it is anime. Which is to say, extremely.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

DrNutt posted:

Jesus Christ.

Okay, I checked and it's not as old as I had remembered. Still, 1998 was ages ago.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
What's the deal with the Dying Light? Do you need any DLC for it?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Blattdorf posted:

The Enhanced Edition already comes with all the DLC.
e: actually minus a few minor skin/weapon packs it looks like?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Blattdorf posted:

DL The Following Enhanced Edition is the GOTY and has all the DLC. Just get that.

Edit: beaten like a zombie with a barbed wire bat....

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

DrNutt posted:

Jesus Christ.

Outcast, not Outlast. I made that mistake at first glance.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
I got Hard West and am enjoying it so far. Does it fall apart later on? Want to know if I am missing any info before I hit the 2 hour mark.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
How is it that I have upwards of 30 of the Winter Sale cards and not a single #4 Card (Just 5 more minutes) ever dropped for me...

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Blattdorf posted:

How is it that I have upwards of 30 of the Winter Sale cards and not a single #4 Card (Just 5 more minutes) ever dropped for me...

What's your Steam ID?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Feedbacker posted:

What's your Steam ID?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/KotyDwa/

It's like GabeN wants me to trade for the cards.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

kater posted:

Stephen's Sausage Roll isn't fantastic or anything, but it's the best puzzle game of 2016. Jon Blow, indie dev behind 2016's The Witness, also calls it the best puzzle game of the year.

It's not sokoban but if you HATE sokoban I would avoid it. Otherwise yep it's good.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I've never heard of Reshade until now. Any particularly good comparison pics / video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Crossposting from the Steam thread:

So, I'm playing Alien: Isolation and must be doing something wrong.

I'm in the lobby at the beginning of the game, my mission is to find a battery pack to open the door to coms. Some humans are patrolling the lobby and I swear it's impossible to get past them, it's like they have infrared sights or something. They keep shooting me from far away, no crouching or staying far away or hiding in shadows helps? I also managed to knock one of them out and his gun is floating in the air over the floor and I can't pick it up for some reason? The guy I knocked out followed me to the adjacent room, the others stay put patrolling the lobby so I can't get past them, looks like 3 or 4 people.

Edit: Gun in question:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=828950939

Heran Bago posted:

I've never heard of Reshade until now. Any particularly good comparison pics / video?

I'm curious about this too. Also, any good places to get presets for various games?

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Dec 29, 2016

• Locked thread