Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Good question. The Komplete Kontrol/Maschine package now is called Komplete Select, not Elements. But according to my order history both the mouth and razor are listed as being full versions - while reaktor 6 lists as crossgrade. If the system is at all logical it shouldn't be a problem but its impossible to be sure. Just let me know what you wanna do, yeah?
Well, let's try it. What are you looking for for both Razor and The Mouth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
50% off i thought. 55 bucks.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

50% off i thought. 55 bucks.
$55 total for both? Either way, let me know, and let me know where to direct payment to (when we're ready for that step).

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
ait pm'd you

Anveo
Mar 23, 2002
The Arturia V Collection is $100 off right right now. However, if you download the free MiniFilter V it appears to unlock the crossgrade option bringing it down an additional $100 to $300 final.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Anveo posted:

The Arturia V Collection is $100 off right right now. However, if you download the free MiniFilter V it appears to unlock the crossgrade option bringing it down an additional $100 to $300 final.

I just took advantage of the arturia V collection sale the other day. It's worth every penny. The CS-80 is such a wonderful synthesizer.

Gorewar fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 29, 2016

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah but it only requires an ilok account, not a dongle. And you don't even have to use ilok's software to validate, Soundtoys has a thing that does it on its own. Really not the hassle most ilok stuff is.
(Bolded emphasis above is mine.) I know this is from a while ago, but is this still true? Reading what I've found in relatively minimal looking on the Soundtoys site, it seems like you use the iLok License Manager.

Anyway, I've been staunchly anti-iLok on free and paid plugins, but the end of year sales running right now on Soundtoys and Eventide plugins has me questioning this somewhat. Can people please post their trip reports on good/bad experiences with the software/"virtual USB"/non-dongle/"machine authorization" iLok option, especially if in conjunction with either Soundtoys or Eventide plugins (or both)?

I'm wondering how invasive and demanding the whole licensing kit & kaboodle for iLok account-based software-only auth is with these plugins, including periodic reauth hassles, connectivity requirements, if it's going to bitch because I have WinDbg installed on Windows, etc., etc. If I buy these, I'm hoping they're no more onerous than say, Max/MSP licensing (which sometimes requires a login to sync, not sure what triggers it) or (even better) Ableton Live, or similar.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I got Soundtoys last black friday and haven't have any issues. iLok License Manager was just set and forget. It's not some virtual USB software that stays running in your tray/background at all times as far as I can tell (at least on OSX). I think I've only had to re-enter my login info once when Sie-Q was released a couple months ago. I haven't had to move licenses to a new computer yet though. I didn't consider Soundtoys an option when they required a dongle, but I've had no regrets picking up the bundle now that they are dongless. Their plugins are great.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Re:iLok

I just rebuilt my computer and did a full reformat/reinstall of all my software, and I forgot to "deauthorize" my iLok plugs beforehand, and now it looks like I'm out of an authorization permanently (1 of 2 authorizations). They are all Soundtoys plugs that were free anyways, but still kinda lovely that you can't just deactivate them online like all of my other plugins (EZDrummer, Amplitube, etc). I'll be screwed if my computer decides to kill itself.

Other than that, I've barely even noticed the iLok software beyond the initial install and authorizations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Like most license managers it seems to just be a background service, so it's pretty set and forget. Heck, if you're paranoid like me you can even stop the service from running in the background and only manually activate it whenever you're gonna use a plugin that requires it :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

JohnnySmitch posted:

Re:iLok

I just rebuilt my computer and did a full reformat/reinstall of all my software, and I forgot to "deauthorize" my iLok plugs beforehand, and now it looks like I'm out of an authorization permanently (1 of 2 authorizations). They are all Soundtoys plugs that were free anyways, but still kinda lovely that you can't just deactivate them online like all of my other plugins (EZDrummer, Amplitube, etc). I'll be screwed if my computer decides to kill itself.

Other than that, I've barely even noticed the iLok software beyond the initial install and authorizations.

They don't allow you to remotely deauthorize? IK Multimedia, XLN, and Modartt let you do that, to name a few. The plugin requires authorization once per install, and then it checks your account to see if it's allowed to be installed there, or if you've run out of instances. At any point, you can go into your account via their website and see all of your authorized computers/installs, and can clear out any that you wish.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Not totally sure which thread is appropriate for this question but there's a lot of crossover in ML and i guess the majority in here use them so here goes:

I'm after a new Midi controller keyboard, I've had enough of my Nocturn Keyboard and all the dogshit that automap causes with Cubase. The features on most of them in my budget range (around 100 quid) seem to be pretty similar, 25 keys, some pads, a few knobs and maybe some faders. What's important to me is integration, Automap is such a loving faff, even after running the setup who knows how many times, and half the assignments make no sense (filter cutoff and delay times to a button is a fave of mine).

i don't want to build a bunch of custom maps or re-do all the existing ones, I want to be able to just click "learn", twist a knob and get on with making music. The Nocturn in generic mode is totally crippled for this.

The Nektar Impact LX25 seems to be pretty decent, I'm OK with a slightly convoluted auth procedure if it works afterwards. Anyone have any experience with this line?

I'm no pianist, the keys are mostly for auditioning sounds more than playing 2 handed parts.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
I have nothing to add except to say that automap is indeed dogshit.
I would reccomend the Kontrol S49 but its in an entirely different pricerange.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
How useful is the Kontrol/NKS stuff on a day to day basis? I'm probably going to ditch most of my rig and buy something more portable, and given that 95% of what I use is NKS-friendly now I'm seriously considering a move in that direction.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'd love something like that but I don't have space for the 49 keys either, though it'd be great for Kontakt keyswitching jiggery-pokery.

I've had the Nocturn Keyboard for about 6 years, Automap worked with Live 8 ok but since I made the switch to Cubase it's just horrible. It refuses to let me use the mouse on wrapped parameters, no matter how I try to solve it, and it's a total oval office about Quick Controls which is a shame because the straight 8 rotary layout is perfect for them.

Seems like the Impact template for Cubase does 90% of what I want out the box. Most press reviews are positive for it.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Trig Discipline posted:

How useful is the Kontrol/NKS stuff on a day to day basis? I'm probably going to ditch most of my rig and buy something more portable, and given that 95% of what I use is NKS-friendly now I'm seriously considering a move in that direction.

having all the sounds centralized and cataloged ready to go like that is quite amazing. do you know how long i've wanted a way to just hit a button on my keyboard to switch patches? Its like the ultimate version of that. you can set the content filters with the keyboard knobs now too, and the displays will show the filters, quite neat.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hrmery. It'll be a few months, but I'm seriously considering it.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
KORG Legacy Collection? I already have an actual original MS-20, so the MS-20 plugin would just be for using it ITB, and I'm not sure how much I care about the M1 or Wavestation stuff... but it's a decent bundle cost-wise. I know others have talked about it here before in the past, just wondering what the general thread hivemind thought is on it.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Alright, today is basically my last day to decide on my purchases and I'd like some feedback since I it's a decent amount of money for me and I want to spend it wisely.

FabFilter Pro Pack
This pack contains the following plugins: Reverb, Limiter, Compressor, Multi-Band Compressor, EQ, De-Esser, Gate/Expander. I love the layout and visuals of these plugins and from what I have see and heard, they are excellent and used by countless producers. This is on special right now for $550 all together and is a great value I feel.

Nectar 2 Production Suite
I really want a VST to edit and modify vocals and Nectar 2 seems to have a nice combination of features and affordability. Melodyne has literally everything but at $800, is well out of my price range for a VST. The Nectar Production Suite is on sale for $220 and I am wondering if this is a good value as I know a lot less about vocal VST's than most others. Are vocal VST's generally more expensive? I purchased Serum and that is only $140 and has a million features so not sure if that is comparing apples to oranges.

If anyone has any other suggestions or recommendations, I would love to hear them. I decided to get these VST's in lieu of a Push2 as I think these will be more useful for my overall production. Also found out I need to upgrade my Scarlett 2i2 but that's for another thread!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

minidracula posted:

KORG Legacy Collection? I already have an actual original MS-20, so the MS-20 plugin would just be for using it ITB, and I'm not sure how much I care about the M1 or Wavestation stuff... but it's a decent bundle cost-wise. I know others have talked about it here before in the past, just wondering what the general thread hivemind thought is on it.

I like it (although I only use it for the M1 and Wavestation so.. ymmw) and it sounds good to my ears. Only problem is that the interface is extremely tiny (probably meant for screen resolutions of a bygone age) and the interfaces don't have that much in terms of modern quality of life changes (aka. they're kinda fiddly).

Would still recommend :v:

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

minidracula posted:

I was in the same position as you and the thread advised me to get it - and they were absolutely right. If your plugin host still uses VST it's an absolute steal, and you might get surprising use out of the mono/poly etc., but given you've used an actual MS-20 I hope you're not expecting External Signal Processor support. That's really the major thing you're missing.

If you're just getting it to duplicate your MS20 ITB there's probably no closer alternative in terms of the actual interface. If you were feeling lux you could spring for the u-He 2-VCO one instead, which I believe has similar patching capabilities?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I went back to Waves' site thinking "gently caress it, I'll buy these plugins on sale for 200 and deal with their lovely DRM just so I can get a great delay and compressor" and find they've already gone back up to full price.

:negative:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
So then wait 36 hours for them to go on sale again :shrug:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

algebra testes posted:

I went back to Waves' site thinking "gently caress it, I'll buy these plugins on sale for 200 and deal with their lovely DRM just so I can get a great delay and compressor" and find they've already gone back up to full price.

:negative:

You can probably e-mail them, tell them you tried to buy the plugins when they were on sale and the transaction wouldn't go through. This will usually result in you receiving a coupon code link for the discount. Worked for me with Izotope and the Nectar 2 Production Suite.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Repro-1 is blowing me away every time I use it. Its up there with Diva imo

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I was gonna grab the CLA76, H-Delay and one of their EQs, in the end I just bought the EMI TG12345 console strip thing because it's got a pretty cool EQ, compressor and some saturation so it kinda just ticks all the "clean up my vocals for demos" purposes. Even if it isn't as amazing as all those other individual plugins.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Are there any vst synths where I can tune directly in hz?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

off the top of my head, absynth, mpowersynth and maybe ace.

coolskull fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 24, 2017

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Cool thanks, already have Absynth. I've been getting into binaural beats/meditation/pineal stuff and figured there's got to be an easier way than dicking around with cents and a tuner plugin! It's quite fun and relaxing to make, though the dogs disagree.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think FM8 does the heck out of that fwiw.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Will have to dig out my old Komplete 6 disks and reinstall it, thanks guys

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I thought that got added to Serum a while back (or remember seeing a tweet that it was going to be added) but I'll have to check when I get home.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
As mentioned, FM8 does it really well. Just set the operator ratio to 0 and enter the hz value in the offset field.

Alternatively, Audacity has a tone generator function! But that just makes an audio file lasting however long.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ughhh I hate Wave's strategy of enticing me with stupid 20 dollar gift vouchers.

I mean... I could get VEQ4... but how many eqs does a man need...

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NonzeroCircle posted:

Are there any vst synths where I can tune directly in hz?

If you want to do this and a million things more, I can't recommend u-he's Bazille enough.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Hey everyone, got an email from Waves today saying that their Bass Rider plugin is on sale. Normally $99 but on sale for only $29 for the next 20 hours. Has anyone used this before? It seems like a pretty awesome design tool for all kinds of bass (DI, inst, synth, etc) and at only $29 I am thinking of grabbing it.

http://www.waves.com/plugins/bass-r...aves-bass-rider

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

MrSargent posted:

Has anyone used this before? It seems like a pretty awesome design tool for all kinds of bass (DI, inst, synth, etc) and at only $29 I am thinking of grabbing it.
I use it whenever I'm using bass guitar libraries. It works well.

I use their Vocal Rider as well. Same concept, only Vocal Rider also has a sidechain input that adjusts the vocals in relation to the rest of the mix. Bass Rider monitors the internal signal only.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I've doing my silly binaural hippy music on Absynth and only today realised it wasn't right because I wasnt using the stereo version of the plugin :doh:

Still, listening to 'celestial frequencies' stopped me getting too mad about it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, I just learned of this:

https://www.trackspark.com

It's a monthly bundle of plugins, stems, loops, and samples for $2.99. Obviously, that's not a very high financial barrier for entry, but I'm curious before pulling the trigger on it. Anyone else here use it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Haven't used it, but it seems like you'd end up with a bunch of samples and plugins you're never going to use. I'd rather pay a bit more for Splice Sounds to be able to choose what samples I get.