Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

General Grievous is an animated character in the movie too.

Obi-Wan, however, is not, so compromises must be made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

ruddiger posted:

lol, your over-inflated ego has really made you a loving weirdo who projects your own warped reality on anything you comment on.

"Check my rap sheet." Jesus Christ how pathetic.

LOL. Says someone with no bans and barely any probations.

Edit: Like, serious?

"These minstrel show and shylock characters are so subversive, I love the deep meaning!"

"Maybe he's just a racist or, at best, someone who careless cribs from racist '30s pulp?"

"Whoa, let's slow down here. That's tasteless!"

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 29, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

gfarrell80 posted:

When the gently caress did Yoda say "you must kill vader"?????

I actually realized I got the quote wrong after I posted, but the point I was trying to make was that Yoda and Ben were throwing double talk at Luke on dagobah, forcing him to draw his own conclusions. That they didn't correct him when he mentions killing Vader shows that.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 29, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

Edit: To be clear, it is not my fault that George Lucas hates gay people because they are anti-life. That is not reflective of my views. However, it is all over Star Wars so you can't really separate it from the mix.

:chloe:

Anakin's first son was a gay robot, who he fully accepted.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Detective No. 27 posted:

:chloe:

Anakin's first son was a gay robot, who he fully accepted.

Did you miss what I said about Anakin?

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05dT34hGRdg
this scene owns

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

best scene in star wars imo

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shbobdb posted:

Edit: To be clear, it is not my fault that George Lucas hates gay people because they are anti-life. That is not reflective of my views. However, it is all over Star Wars so you can't really separate it from the mix.

In your eagerness to spit bile at an old man who made a movie you didn't like, you're saying genuinely hurtful things about real people.

Come on, don't do this.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shbobdb posted:

"These minstrel show and shylock characters are so subversive, I love the deep meaning!"

It's pretty gross that you people keep looking for the cheapest excuses to keep repeating disgusting phrases in the cheaply veiled attempt at exposing ideology.

And by you people I mean you, the sad lonely goon.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Schwarzwald posted:

In your eagerness to spit bile at an old man who made a movie you didn't like, your saying genuinely hurtful things about real people.

Come on, don't do this.

I'm sorry that you don't like learning what the movies you like are actually about. But you'll come to understand that this is what Star Wars is actually about.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

ruddiger posted:

It's pretty gross that you people keep looking for the cheapest excuses to keep repeating disgusting phrases in the cheaply veiled attempt at exposing ideology.

And by you people I mean you, the sad lonely goon.

LOL.

Have you read the last three pages where defenders of the prequels have been talking about how these vile stereotypes aren't actually "vile" and aren't actually "stereotypes". I shine a light on it and all of a sudden I'm the loving bad guy?

LOL.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shbobdb posted:

LOL.

Have you read the last three pages where defenders of the prequels have been talking about how these vile stereotypes aren't actually "vile" and aren't actually "stereotypes". I shine a light on it and all of a sudden I'm the loving bad guy?

LOL.

The vileness is the words you choose to use. The vileness is the attributes you decide are "shylock" and "minstrel" worthy. You're a disgusting narrow minded idiot who uses internet logic as an excuse to parrot tired cliches and thinks that's somehow shining a light on racism when in reality it's you who wants to perpetuate those stereotypes to specific people by keeping those notions that these attributes are specific to certain cultures when in reality these condemnations have been reappropriated over and over by bigots like you to further your own disgusting agenda.

Try harder, rapesheet goon.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

ruddiger posted:

Shotacon is a beautiful form of cultural expression and that you are a narrow minded bigot who can't understand that says more about you than it does about me.

"No, you're the real racist!"

Weak man. Weak.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shbobdb posted:

Weak man. Weak.

You're the one throwing around racist and bigoted terms under the guise of enlightenment. Don't be mad if the shoe fits babe.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

temple posted:

You can't subvert a stereotype with a stereotype. That should be enough but since we have to drag this discussion longer, consider Uncle Tom's Cabin. Tom was presented as more moral than his masters but ultimately he is rejected by 19th century black authors because of his subservience. Instead of being a slave to the civilized white man, he is a slave to uncivilized ones. He is still a slave. This goes hand in hand with many black thinkers at the current rise of slave movies which do little to enlighten black history and culture and re-enforce white brutality and black subhuman presentations. The same can be said of tough girl characters which still rely on women's lack of agency and dependence on men to rebel against.

Using Dave Chappelle is rich and obvious concern trolling, which is why I have disregarded you so frequently.

Go ahead and start there, then read over the next couple of pages.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shbobdb posted:

Weak man. Weak.

I don't think you are racist, I certainly hope that you aren't, but you are halfhandedly using some strongly bigoted language in your quest to portray George Lucas as some kind of evil goblin.

Take a moment and relax. What are you actually hoping to accomplish here?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't think you are racist, I certainly hope that you aren't, but you are halfhandedly using some strongly bigoted language in your quest to portray George Lucas as some kind of evil goblin.

Take a moment and relax. What are you actually hoping to accomplish here?

There is a lot of racially problematic poo poo in the Prequels. People point this out and there is a lot of "Well, we can't know what Lucas feels in his heart" and "He is subverting the stereotypes by exaggerating them to the point of parody" as opposed to, you know, maybe he has some racially problematic views and source material and blindly applies it in toxic ways.

In addition to being racist as gently caress, Lucas has some pretty "problematic" things to say about homosexuality. It's not a good look. I point that out and people freak out all of a sudden.

This is not new information.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
anakin really should have gotten a t-shirt that said "I LOVE MY DROID GAY SON"

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

ungulateman posted:

anakin really should have gotten a t-shirt that said "I LOVE MY DROID GAY SON"

People are talking about it because Lucas made this explicit in the movie. What is the ultimate perversion? What simply cannot be? Homosexual reproduction. Now, if you are a lunatic like Lucas trying to express sexual magic on screen, how can you best make sure your audience knows something is fundamentally wrong with your character?

Anakin is born without sex and creates without sex. He is an ananthema. However, because everything creates its own negation, also represents a tantric path. That's the synthesis we get at the end of Jedi. But he's also redeemed by the fruit of his loins, the product of real true sex as opposed to monsters like himself and the droids.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shbobdb posted:

Go ahead and start there, then read over the next couple of pages.

Quoting and citing the 2nd biggest idiot in the thread is not helping your argument btw

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

ruddiger posted:

Quoting and citing the 2nd biggest idiot in the thread is not helping your argument btw

Read the whole discussion.

If this guy, complete with payot, saying "I am only influenced by money" and greedily rubbing his fingers together doesn't offend you but me saying, "Wow, that's a horrific stereotype" does offend you then maybe you should spend some time in front of the mirror because you are the problem.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Shbobdb posted:

People are talking about it because Lucas made this explicit in the movie. What is the ultimate perversion? What simply cannot be? Homosexual reproduction. Now, if you are a lunatic like Lucas trying to express sexual magic on screen, how can you best make sure your audience knows something is fundamentally wrong with your character?

Anakin is born without sex and creates without sex. He is an ananthema. However, because everything creates its own negation, also represents a tantric path. That's the synthesis we get at the end of Jedi. But he's also redeemed by the fruit of his loins, the product of real true sex as opposed to monsters like himself and the droids.

on the other hand, c3-po and r2-d2 are the real heroes of star wars, so your sexual magic is powerless against the might of actually watching movies

the real sign something's wrong about anakin/vader is his obsession with erotic asphyxiation and lack of consent

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shbobdb posted:

Read the whole discussion.

If this guy, complete with payot, saying "I am only influenced by money" and greedily rubbing his fingers together doesn't offend you but me saying, "Wow, that's a horrific stereotype" does offend you then maybe you should spend some time in front of the mirror because you are the problem.

As a person of color, you better believe I'm your loving problem.

You're the reason why people say stupid poo poo like "ancient African American stereotypes" or "greediness is a stereotype that's only ever solely been attributed to one specific group of people."

Also, you clearly have no idea what a payot is. Tho what I DO see on Watto is a neck beard, which makes your vehemence toward him so much more clear.

Time to look in the mirror yourself goon. Your neck needs some trimming.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Alight I'm out. This thread is going bad places.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

No, don't you get it, it's subverting the stereotype. That never backfires.

However, at least Chris Rock and Dave Chapelle have a reason to even try and play with stereotypes since they are part of the groups they are talking about.

"Ey, Ani! Give me money!"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
One day the prequel haters will realize that the only reason people still talk about the prequels in the this threa dis because they keep attacking them. After all, the defenders have no need to defend what isn't under attack.

I'm gonna go see R1 again with some friends soon, and I'm gonna see if I can't catch more of those subtle moments of character I liked and apparently everyone else missed.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

"He is subverting the stereotypes by exaggerating them to the point of parody"
I don't think anyone said this. It doesn't seem like you're really willing to read and think about posts by posters you don't like.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

"Ey, Ani! Give me money!"

Is this Watto concept art?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Shbobdb is (one of) SMG's alts, right?

Not there's anything wrong with that.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Zoran posted:

Ahmed Best intentionally played Jar Jar with attributes common to old minstrel shows, as a way of reinforcing the overall point of the character (which is that the people we judge as lesser beings—"pathetic life forms," as Obi-Wan put it—actually do have intrinsic value and that our sense of superiority is false).

We've gone over this before in the thread (I recommend Bongo Bill's posts on the subject), but basically what happens in The Phantom Menace is that the heroes make a bunch of superficial judgments that end up biting them in the rear end later on.

So they look at Nute Gunray and assume he's some conniving mastermind, kind of like old Yellow Peril villains. In fact, he's just a toady who's in way over his head. But because of this misperception, when we get to the end of the movie, the good guys believe they've foiled the evil plot and have secured peace in their time.

On Tatooine, they encounter Watto, who kind of resembles a Shylock-style Jewish stereotype. The heroes assume that he's exactly that: a greedy usurer trying to bilk them out of their money. That's why Qui-Gon is so ready to mind-control the guy. But it turns out that Watto's not like that at all. He's just the owner of a grimy junk shop and a gambling addict, and he's a slave-owner mostly because that's how life works in a lovely place like Tatooine. Watto actually gets a kind of sympathetic portrayal, particularly in AOTC, because the point the movies are making is that the institutions are failing. The Republic and their Jedi enforcers don't care about a shithole like Tatooine because nobody wants to stir up trouble with the Hutts.

Literally everyone else in the main cast hates Jar Jar. They all think he's a useless pile of poo poo, and the only one who shows an ounce of faith in him is Qui-Gon. In the end, he's the guy who provides Amidala with her key insight: if she and her people can just give up their ridiculous snobbishness towards the Gungans, their two peoples would make natural allies against the Trade Federation's oppression. She didn't have to waste all her time running from her homeworld, because the reinforcements she needed would have come over from right next door if she had only thought to ask.

This theme extends to the rest of the cast, too. Little Anakin really is a wonderfully kind boy with a strong sense of justice, but the Jedi view him mainly as a weapon, rather than as a human being with real emotional needs and desires. Darth Maul is merely an avatar of raw vengefulness, but the Jedi Order reads too much into him, so they worry for the next decade that the Sith will destroy them from without.

And then, at the end of the movie literally called "The Unseen Threat," the real villain gets almost everything he ever wanted and he throws himself a parade.

Nobody said this was a hateful post, I wonder why . . .

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

ungulateman posted:

on the other hand, c3-po and r2-d2 are the real heroes of star wars, so your sexual magic is powerless against the might of actually watching movies

the real sign something's wrong about anakin/vader is his obsession with erotic asphyxiation and lack of consent

I'm unconvinced by your analysis of the droids. They are always empty vessels, filled with information but creating nothing of their own. They can be the cupbearer for other characters but they aren't actors unto themselves.

Anakin/Vader's sexual perversion coming out in other ways, like his consensual breath-play, is a true part of the character and one you cannot miss.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shbobdb posted:

Nobody said this was a hateful post, I wonder why . . .

Why would they? What do you find hateful about it?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Schwarzwald posted:

Why would they? What do you find hateful about it?

ruddiger posted:

The vileness is the words you choose to use. The vileness is the attributes you decide are "shylock" and "minstrel" worthy. You're a disgusting narrow minded idiot who uses internet logic as an excuse to parrot tired cliches and thinks that's somehow shining a light on racism when in reality it's you who wants to perpetuate those stereotypes to specific people by keeping those notions that these attributes are specific to certain cultures when in reality these condemnations have been reappropriated over and over by bigots like you to further your own disgusting agenda.

Try harder, rapesheet goon.

Evidently, the vileness is in the words I choose. Yet those same words are presented the same way in the other quoted post that was accepted without comment. It's almost like the ideas behind the words are what matters . . .

Pointing out the darkness behind some of the concepts presented in Star Wars makes people upset. People don't want their childhood movies to be seen in a bad light.

However, while extremely distasteful, negative portrayals of homosexuals in the late '70s and early '80s was much more acceptable.

"Provocative" racism in the late '90s? In expert hands, maybe. In Lucas's hands? It's basically sub-4Chan level "ironic" racism of the laziest sort.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shbobdb posted:

Evidently, the vileness is in the words I choose. Yet those same words are presented the same way in the other quoted post that was accepted without comment. It's almost like the ideas behind the words are what matters . . .

Zoran refers to minstrel shows and discusses the Shylock stereotype. He doesn't use those words as slurs.

Shbobdb posted:

Pointing out the darkness behind some of the concepts presented in Star Wars makes people upset. People don't want their childhood movies to be seen in a bad light.

What is dark behind Jar Jar's concept? Is a clumsy person who talks funny inherently wrong, or obscene? Is somehow worse if that person is black or coded black?
I'm not trying to trick you, or to accuse you of secretly being the (gasp!) real racist, but there is more to this than characters with minstrel traits being inherently racist just because.

If Lucas did subverted these stereotypes (intentionally or otherwise) it's by suggesting that the people who resembles such stereotypes are none-the-less still people in their own right, with all the inherent value and dignity that implies.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Why are you arguing with an insane person?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I just watched Rogue One, which only came out yesterday in South Korea (not sure when it comes out in North Korea). Overall I enjoyed it, and agree with the complaints about Jyn's inconsistent character and some of the pacing. I would've also liked to see more of Bodhi and Mon Mothma (Genevieve Reilly was clearly psyched to be back in the series and made the most of her dialogue) and if Mads Mikkelsen was going to be killed off so quickly I'd've liked it to be done with more consequences than "indiscriminate bombing run."

This is something that other posters have touched on, but one of my favourite parts of the movie was the way it humanized the Empire. I liked seeing people's reactions to working on the Death Star, and seeing multiple characters (mostly K2SO and Chirrut) knock stormtroopers unconscious instead of outright murdering them, and I thought a little more screentime should've been used on the interoffice politics between Krennic and Tarkin, since Krennic had virtually no personal relationship with Jyn or any of the other Rebel characters.

I was also struck by Chirrut's statement that "the Force swarms darkly around those about to kill." The films, especially this one, seem to characterize faith in the Force as a heroic quality, but almost all of them are set in a time where the most effective Force users are Sith. If the Force guided Chirrut's life and sustained him until he was able to help transmit the Death Star plans, did the Force not also ensure Tarkin was able to comfortably order the murder of his rival and thousands of loyal soldiers? It makes me curious about what free will exactly entails in Star Wars.

Edinboro_V
Jun 15, 2012
Endings are red
Endings are blue
Endings are green
When you just change the hue

Mameluke posted:

I was also struck by Chirrut's statement that "the Force swarms darkly around those about to kill." The films, especially this one, seem to characterize faith in the Force as a heroic quality, but almost all of them are set in a time where the most effective Force users are Sith. If the Force guided Chirrut's life and sustained him until he was able to help transmit the Death Star plans, did the Force not also ensure Tarkin was able to comfortably order the murder of his rival and thousands of loyal soldiers? It makes me curious about what free will exactly entails in Star Wars.

At the risk of proselytizing a game series I love, I'd look into the Knights of the Old Republic franchise if you haven't already, as the second game deals with this concept specifically. Or more specifically, what Chris Avellone thinks of Star Wars' attempts to say "well, free will, choice, and good and evil are a thing but you're also fated to do whatever because the Force controls your actions" He doesn't think very highly of it, but we get the most interesting female character ever written in the EU out of it at least.

I'd play them in order though; the first one is a straightforward heroic Star Wars adventure, while the second is like one written by a Game Master that's been writing campaigns for years, but for the love of god, get the restored content mod for it, because the publisher cut so much out in the rush to get it out before the holiday season.

Alternatively the Let's Play Archive has Lord Scorchy's Let's Play of Knights of the Old Republic 2, and it's pretty drat well comprehensive: http://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. After making my post I sat on it for a bit and came to the conclusion that Chirrut had to be a formally untrained Force user. Between his death, cold-reading Jyn's necklace, and (I can't recall exactly what) his claim on Eadu that ends up coming true, it's much easier for me to reconcile that. Since we never see Chirrut kill (in film terms, disregarding the untreated concussions he gives everyone), I think it's possible to view him as an ideologically consistent Force user.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Wowza Shbobdb became Tezzor really fast

Mameluke posted:

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. After making my post I sat on it for a bit and came to the conclusion that Chirrut had to be a formally untrained Force user. Between his death, cold-reading Jyn's necklace, and (I can't recall exactly what) his claim on Eadu that ends up coming true, it's much easier for me to reconcile that. Since we never see Chirrut kill (in film terms, disregarding the untreated concussions he gives everyone), I think it's possible to view him as an ideologically consistent Force user.

I think he ends up shooting dudes with his staff tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mameluke posted:

This is something that other posters have touched on, but one of my favourite parts of the movie was the way it humanized the Empire.

Do people not feel The Empire was humanised in the OT? Specifically Empire and RotJ. How can you not feel bad for the poor blokes one wrong decision away from being choked to death (after being promoted beyond their competency due to previous chokings).

The biggest hero in the trilogy is the guy who says "I will take full responsibility for this to Lord Vader" knowing he's going to die at the hands of insane Evil half-machine monster.

• Locked thread