Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Watching the big man get lost because the NBA banned shading defense is the highlight of those clips for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lessail posted:

I wish the Raptors were an actual contender instead of a pretender :smith:

Man, the evil, anti-toronto, bias national media finally broke you. Sad

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lessail posted:

I wish the Raptors were an actual contender instead of a pretender :smith:

Lessail posted:

GSW can just fall rear end backwards into KD while the Raptors gotta gut their entire team to be able to marginally improve oh well

Yeah poor Raptors, they're in such a bad place.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so i'm just starting to get into the nba. this embiid guy seems like one of the coolest guys in sports, no?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Delly kicked Jon Leuer in the nuts last night and the Bucks symbolically did that to the Pistons as a whole

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

That's my boy

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

chunkles posted:

oh I just looked at that box score

how does it feel kibner, how does it feel to have Austin Rivers roast you in the fire

(this post would cut deeper if the Clippers had won but I'll take what I can get)

Metapod posted:

Rivers was no match for buddy

Both these things make me happy. Sadly, I could not watch the game as I was at a surprise birthday party for a good friend of mine.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Abel Wingnut posted:

so i'm just starting to get into the nba. this embiid guy seems like one of the coolest guys in sports, no?

He is both a fun twitter follow and an entertaining player to watch. Lots of potential on both fronts.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I've never heard two commentators be more obnoxious and whiny than the Nuggets home announcers last night. That team is a blast to watch but holy gently caress they complained about every single thing that didn't go the Nuggets way.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah poor Raptors, they're in such a bad place.

It's frustrating to have the team be probably as good as it can be in this permutation and have it still be firmly a tier below the true contenders. So close yet so far, and whatever.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hand Knit posted:

It's frustrating to have the team be probably as good as it can be in this permutation and have it still be firmly a tier below the true contenders. So close yet so far, and whatever.

If you're good enough to get to the ECF you are in a pretty good spot. You need some luck or guys catching fire but that can happen. Lots of people considered the Mavericks a tier below true contender the year they won it, even last year lots of people gave Cleveland no chance until GSW started looking vulnerable in the playoffs.

The last couple years have really proven that the NBA still has a ton of variance (even if it's not as much as NFL or whatever).

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I thought Toronto was going to end up like Atlanta last year or Memphis with an aging team that could maybe make the Conference finals if things go their way.

But right now they look like very strong favorites to make the ECF and they have 4 players 25 or younger that look really good in Ross, Jonas, Bebe and Powell.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOks6e5hFLR/

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

In their defense it's probably incredibly hard to defend against a guy that would need a ladder to go down on you if shooting is taken out of the equation.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I'm kinda bummed he didn't follow the ball when he nutmegs that guy

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Good to see Muggsy is keeping in shape.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Parmesan Basil posted:

Go Hornets! A classic win!

Hold the phone, you're saying you're not going to watch football because of shitheads and then you cheer the team owned by Michael Jordan?

Doltos posted:

I've never heard two commentators be more obnoxious and whiny than the Nuggets home announcers last night. That team is a blast to watch but holy gently caress they complained about every single thing that didn't go the Nuggets way.

That's basically every home announce team though? Or maybe I'm just so used to it because holy poo poo Worrell and Drexler

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Doltos posted:

They aren't great but there are worse announcing crews imo.

Worst:

1. Rockets - these guys are loving unbearable, I actively avoid watching Houston home games because they suck so much
2. Cavs
3. Celtics
4. Lakers
5. Warriors

Best:

1. Pelicans - these two just are really laid back and have fun without taking anything seriously
2. Twolves - probably the best crew for talking Xs and Os
3. Nets
4. Knicks - Breen is great and while Clyde offers no insight whatsoever his rhyming couplets are cool
5. Spurs

I don't think it's a coincidence that generally the worse teams have better and more bearable announcers.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 29, 2016

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

tanglewood1420 posted:

Worst:

1. Rockets - these guys are loving unbearable, I actively avoid watching Houston home games because they suck so much
2. Cavs
3. Celtics
4. Lakers
5. Warriors

Best:

1. Pelicans - these two just are really laid back and have fun without taking anything seriously
3. Nets
4. Knicks - Breen is great and while Clyde offers no insight whatsoever his rhyming couplets are cool
5. Spurs

I don't think it's a coincidence that generally the worse teams have better and more bearable announcers.

What a trash rear end list for idiots. How can anyone hate Austin Carr? You hate Austin Carr you hate fun.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Metapod posted:

Rivers was no match for buddy

Remember when people itt were saying what a waste of space Buddy was?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

tanglewood1420 posted:

Best:

3. Nets
5. Spurs

Spurs announcers use of 'bad guys' put them in the bad column

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Intruder posted:

Hold the phone, you're saying you're not going to watch football because of shitheads and then you cheer the team owned by Michael Jordan?

MJ's shitheaded-ness is like 5 tiers below most other owners in the league.

e: also please dont run off a Hornet Friend, there are so very few of us

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Intruder posted:

Trying to understand Parm is like trying to study the Joker. Nothing ever makes sense.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Intruder posted:

Michael Jordan is a funny rear end in a top hat not an shithead rear end in a top hat.

There is a difference

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

tanglewood1420 posted:

Worst:

2. Cavs
3. Celtics
4. Lakers
5. Warriors

Best:

3. Nets
5. Spurs

You forgot Denver and the Clippers for worst. BINGO!

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

AggressivelyStupid posted:

What a trash rear end list for idiots. How can anyone hate Austin Carr? You hate Austin Carr you hate fun.

Agreed. I hated them at first, but after a while their corny yuckety-yuck sense of humor won me over.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Austin Carr is having a ton of fun announcing basketball which is good because his career was cut short by injuries. He's a cool basketball grandpa with a smoky laugh that occasionally forgets his words.

Fred is a fairly generic Homer announcer. League average, I would say.

Slightly related; I've heard people be annoyed with the Cavs announcers for talking up every opponent which is a strange complaint to me. You'd rather they poo poo on the team? It's the NBA, anything is possible.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Do the T-Wolves still have this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gptymwldAWs

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mr. Mambold posted:

Remember when people itt were saying what a waste of space Buddy was?

I do

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Will we ever have advanced stats for announcers? Or will be forever forced to rely on the ear test?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I love George Blaha

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Will we ever have advanced stats for announcers? Or will be forever forced to rely on the ear test?

"This week in The Ringer Bill Simmons calculates the value over a replacement announcer (VORA) by considering each team's 'peak woke-ness', or whatever other term he recently learned from his 22 year old intern TATE"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

BWV posted:

Do the T-Wolves still have this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gptymwldAWs

He's the radio pbp guy yeah

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Just a reminder that we need to get Embiid into the ASG so he can go on a date with Rihanna

http://www.csnphilly.com/the700level/vote-joel-embiid-nba-all-star-game-so-he-can-date-his-crush

https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid/status/501136985767944192?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

rabidsquid posted:

I love George Blaha

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dexo posted:

Michael Jordan is a funny rear end in a top hat not an shithead rear end in a top hat.

There is a difference

Yah. Michael Jordan is an rear end in a top hat but at some point this forum assembled a list of every owner in the league and what they'd done to get their billions and Jordan, Cuban and the Lakers owners whose last name I'm unsure how to properly pluralize were about the only ones who hadn't got it in a reprehensible, exploitive way.
Also I dunno if there was a consensus on Ranadive but I'm of the opinion that HFT is basically just vacuuming up other people's wealth without making anything whatsoever.
Owners are bad players are good. NBA has one of the strongest unions of the major American sports right now, even though baseball was the trailblazer. God bless u, Marvin Miller :patriot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Rfkhg7s_M

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Does this means the cavs won both in real life and in the Monday morning butthurt makeup call world now?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
"George Karl surprised by backlash to upcoming book "
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18370894/george-karl-surprised-backlash-arising-forthcoming-book

Appearing on ESPN's Mike & Mike on Thursday, the longtime NBA coach was asked whether he was surprised by the backlash to the book.

"There's no question," he said. "Surprised? Yeah, I guess there's no question we all want to be liked a little bit. The backlash was interesting. A couple of things I learned from. I think the big thing is a couple of things. I probably should've studied -- I didn't know -- I probably should've studied what I was writing a little more than I did."

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Sixers announcers own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

tanglewood1420 posted:

Worst:

2. Cavs
3. Celtics
4. Lakers
5. Warriors

Best:

3. Nets
5. Spurs

Me nodding along to this list, nodding along, mmhmmm..... WTF SPURS?!?

Sean Elliot is the poor man's Reggie Miller.

• Locked thread