Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Downs Duck posted:

Crossposting from the Steam thread:

So, I'm playing Alien: Isolation and must be doing something wrong.

I'm in the lobby at the beginning of the game, my mission is to find a battery pack to open the door to coms. Some humans are patrolling the lobby and I swear it's impossible to get past them, it's like they have infrared sights or something. They keep shooting me from far away, no crouching or staying far away or hiding in shadows helps? I also managed to knock one of them out and his gun is floating in the air over the floor and I can't pick it up for some reason? The guy I knocked out followed me to the adjacent room, the others stay put patrolling the lobby so I can't get past them, looks like 3 or 4 people.

Edit: Gun in question:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=828950939

You can't grab weapons from fallen enemies in Alien: Isolation, it's not the game glitching out or anything.

Yeah, it's arbitrary, but what are you gonna do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

beer_war posted:

You can't grab weapons from fallen enemies in Alien: Isolation, it's not the game glitching out or anything.

Run. Run, hide, and hope the Alien will just kill the people trying to shoot at you and leave afterwards.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

beer_war posted:

I'm okay with that, although it's super weird to give me pistol ammo from searching his body, but I can't grab the pistol the guy just dropped? I do think it's weird with the gun floating in the air instead of dropping on the floor though, is this something to do with 1060 cards or have other people reported this?

Also, I messed with the speaker systems, which seemed to lure one of them out to the room before. It did not work when I tried it before so the game seems very inconsistent to me.

But what's laughably worse; when I went from the transit system where I messed with the speakers, climbed some stairs and entered the room where the guy suddenly was, he stood there staring right at me with his gun raised...and DIDN'T see me this time. And I was 2 meters away from him, standing upright, right under the light in the ceiling. Wtf indeed. This happening, while before, he could see me from all across the lobby in the next room while I was crouched and in the dark? I crouched after what seemed like an hour while he stared at me, waited a few seconds before he turned his back, and then I crawled towards him and bashed his head in.

I mean, come one, I love the art in this game, but if this is the supposedly great AI they are selling the game on, color me extremely unimpressed. It's pathetically immersion breaking on another level. Like something I would expect from that Colonial Marines gently caress-up years before.

I really want to like the game, so please tell me if I'm missing something here.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Dec 29, 2016

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Downs Duck posted:

I mean, come one, I love the art in this game, but if this is the supposedly great AI they are selling the game on, color me extremely unimpressed. It's immersion breaking on another level.

Well maybe he saw you, but didn't give a poo poo.
:tipshat:

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Bolivar posted:

Well maybe he saw you, but didn't give a poo poo.
:tipshat:

He was super eager to shoot me in the lobby during the save before though, but yeah, probably just changed his mind :)

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

For me that particular encounter was the most frustrating part of Alien: Isolation, no exaggeration. Maybe I missed something, but the stealth options in the lobby felt limited and you get very few tools to help you get past the NPCs. I almost gave up at that point but I'm glad that I didn't — I ended up really enjoying the game despite not being a huge fan of Alien.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Downs Duck posted:

I'm okay with that, although it's super weird to give me pistol ammo from searching his body, but I can't grab the pistol the guy just dropped? I do think it's weird with the gun floating in the air instead of dropping on the floor though, is this something to do with 1060 cards or have other people reported this?

Also, I messed with the speaker systems, which seemed to lure one of them out to the room before. It did not work when I tried it before so the game seems very inconsistent to me.

But what's laughably worse; when I went from the transit system where I messed with the speakers, climbed some stairs and entered the room where the guy suddenly was, he stood there staring right at me with his gun raised...and DIDN'T see me this time. And I was 2 meters away from him, standing upright, right under the light in the ceiling. Wtf indeed. This happening, while before, he could see me from all across the lobby in the next room while I was crouched and in the dark? I crouched after what seemed like an hour while he stared at me, waited a few seconds before he turned his back, and then I crawled towards him and bashed his head in.

I mean, come one, I love the art in this game, but if this is the supposedly great AI they are selling the game on, color me extremely unimpressed. It's pathetically immersion breaking on another level. Like something I would expect from that Colonial Marines gently caress-up years before.

I really want to like the game, so please tell me if I'm missing something here.

You aren't missing anything, it is a bad game.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Downs Duck posted:

When people say Alien: Isolation has great AI, I'm pretty sure they refer to the Alien and how relatively unpredictable it is. Human enemies are dumb as bricks. And yeah, like Maximum Planck said, that part is among the most frustrating in the entire game.

I'd say play it at least until you beat Medical, if you still don't like it, maybe it's just not for you. Also there's no shame in lowering the difficulty.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
Yeah, as the game goes on you get more options to deal with situations. Vs the humans there should be vents you can crawl around in and you can distract them with the generator (it's in the far right corner IIRC). I found Medical the hardest part of the game, purely because there's not a lot of places to hide, but after a few deaths you get a handle on the layout and it becomes slightly easier. The rest of the game is a cakewalk in comparison.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
Thank you for all the replies, glad to hear it's not just me.

Another trip report:
Got past the lobby humans because of that previously mentioned mishap. So I got that tuner thing and saw the cut scene where the alien reveals itself. Seemed silly to me that it's tail even creeps up on your leg and your character gasping loudly, without it detecting you. And it's supposed to have super senses? Hahaha. More immersion breaking, but at least I'm having a good laugh, so I guess I'm having a good time although for all the wrong reasons.

Then got back to the lobby and I see the alien running around like it's having a seizure, and the animation is straight out of the old Alien vs. Predator games. More laughs.

I just traipsed around the room with the alien flying around "looking" for me. At one point I was standing in the middle of the lobby watching the alien in the window lobby on the second floor. I imagined my character almost waving to him at that point. He didn't notice me at all and just to gently caress around I didn't even go straight to coms, but decided to pick up some parts to build with that I couldn't before, because my inventory wa s maxed out. I do love the crafting system though, and that you can put in some parts to a build and make room for more parts in your pockets. Anyway, got the parts with no alien noticing me and went on my merry way back to coms.

Game is turning into loving Benny Hill at this point, but I'm still enjoying the art and the "interior atmosphere", so I'll stick with it some more.

I'm just surprised this haven't been reported by more players, as it totally breaks everything the game is going for?

Edit:
More fun to be had. I tried shooting some of the androids. From a safe position in a vent, I carefully aimed the reticle until it's sharpest focus point, and popped 6 meticulously aimed shots from a revolver in one guy's head and, no sweat, he just keeps on keeping on, even though his head should have come off at this point. He then grabs me and I have to shove him off by pressing E on my kb. Okay.

Back away from him and press R to reload my gun and my character puts one - 1 - bullet in the chamber. I pop that off in his skull for seven - 7 total hits - in his cranium now. And the guy continues to be Super Android the Avenger and proceeds to kills me. Turns out I have to hold R to reload more than one bullet, which is a system I actually LIKE, but how about if the game actually had told me that's how the reload system works, I don't know, during the tutorial or something? Priceless. Also, what's the point of giving you a gun with sparse ammo when you can't even get a guy with 7 bullets in his head to drop dead/cease to function?

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 29, 2016

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

Haha, yeah the alien doesn't see through windows, which you can definitely use to your advantage later on. If there's one fault with the game it's that the alien is frequently more of an annoying obstacle than something actually scary. I found the androids far more imposing, though you can go toe-to-toe with them with enough resources.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Downs Duck posted:

Also, what's the point of giving you a gun with sparse ammo when you can't even get a guy with 7 bullets in his head to drop dead/cease to function?

The revolver one-shots humans if you go for the head, and you still get a weapon that potentially one-shots droids later on. If you really want to go to town on a droid, use the wrench, they go down in 2 'combos'.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

beef express posted:

Haha, yeah the alien doesn't see through windows, which you can definitely use to your advantage later on. If there's one fault with the game it's that the alien is frequently more of an annoying obstacle than something actually scary. I found the androids far more imposing, though you can go toe-to-toe with them with enough resources.

You're making GBS threads me.

Edmond Dantes posted:

The revolver one-shots humans if you go for the head, and you still get a weapon that potentially one-shots droids later on. If you really want to go to town on a droid, use the wrench, they go down in 2 'combos'.

Actually I tried that first. Hit the guy 4-5 times, then died. Reloaded the save, tried again, hit him maybe 4 times before I backed off and healed, then hit him 2 more times before I died. Only then did I try the gun on my next save reload. And he took 7 bullets to the head and was still standing. This is on Hard mode, which the game "recommends" it be played at.

The humans I haven't gotten to try my gun at yet, as I didn't have one when I first encountered them, couldn't pick one of theirs off from their bodies - only the bullets - and had to wait to equip one until I found a "special gun" on a desk somewhere :) Good times.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 29, 2016

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
No need for doublepost

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 29, 2016

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
For all my gushing about the game, I know drat well it's not perfect. I do think you're relying too much on combat from what I've read; try using distractions (craft noisemakers if you already have them, if you don't flares make a good substitute) and if all that fails, run the gently caress away. The droids can't run, so just get up and loving sprint if you're getting swarmed by them.

You can also wrench humans, that's how I got through that hall the first time. :v:

The AI for the Alien itself is... twitchy. I've had that fucker track me across 5 rooms and smell me inside a locker, only to have her chase me around a shelf for 30 seconds like the dumbest Tom and Jerry episode ever a couple minutes later. I think she's still in dumb mode at this point in the game though; she goes into full hunter mode in Medical if I recall correctly.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

Yeah, I remember reading an article about the alien's AI, it uses a heatmap to smell you out, so if you hide consistently in the same place it'll patrol that area. However, it can only attack you in cupboards and lockers if it's patrolling. It has to see you crawl under a table to attack you there, IIRC, and its sight radius is way less than the androids. It also treats windows as walls so you're perfectly safe to peer at it through a window.

I still really like the game even knowing the smoke and mirrors tricks it pulls, with a few more behaviours I think the alien could've been genuinely terrifying.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Some of the stuff you describe sounds like glitches Downs Duck (guy not shooting right in front of you, needing more than 1 headshot to kill a human) and you're unlucky with them to a point that I'd let Steam analize the game cache for errors. I experienced maybe 2 glitches during my entire playthrough in comparison. Androids being immune to weapons is the entire point behind them - they're super hard to kill but extremely slow so the idea is to run from them. Overall enemy types in the game (humans/androids/xeno) have designated ways to fight them (until you get better toys later on).

However, there's some stuff that comes from properly understanding how the stealth system works in the game:
- shadows are irrelevant - don't expect to be unseen in them, the only thing that counts is the line of sight
- sound is extremely relevant - bump into a desk/locker too hard and the enemies will notice, make a noise when something falls on the floor and your cover is blown

This is probably what happened with the group of humans at the beginning - you either hid too slow and they saw you from afar before you ducked behind cover or you simply made some noise. It could still be a glitch of course, I'm not discounting that option.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 29, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I continue to slowly give away games - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3802816&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Lots of great games still left! And lots of games that corn in the bible would probably play.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I, too, am looking for some anime games goons. I'd like some action games or ARPGs, not so much puzzle games, turn-based RPGs, or visual novels.

The last anime game I played was Tales of Vesperia, which I quite liked up until the part where you beat the big bad then are expected to spend tons of time directionlessly backtracking until the plot picks up again. I've also played Valkyria Chronicles and it was OK but I didn't like the way the mission ratings were based on time only.

Based on many recommendations in this thread, I think I'll pick up Rabi-Ribi. Copy Kitty looks cool too, though I haven't seen many people recommend it. Can you point me at any others? I'm getting desperate enough for a good anime action game that I'm even considering something from the Senran Kagura series. I hope goons can save me from this fate. Should I play a different Tales game? Maybe one of the Hyperdimension games?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Gameko posted:

I, too, am looking for some anime games goons. I'd like some action games or ARPGs, not so much puzzle games, turn-based RPGs, or visual novels.

The last anime game I played was Tales of Vesperia, which I quite liked up until the part where you beat the big bad then are expected to spend tons of time directionlessly backtracking until the plot picks up again. I've also played Valkyria Chronicles and it was OK but I didn't like the way the mission ratings were based on time only.

Based on many recommendations in this thread, I think I'll pick up Rabi-Ribi. Copy Kitty looks cool too, though I haven't seen many people recommend it. Can you point me at any others? I'm getting desperate enough for a good anime action game that I'm even considering something from the Senran Kagura series. I hope goons can save me from this fate. Should I play a different Tales game? Maybe one of the Hyperdimension games?

rabi-ribi is good, lots of plot for being a metroidvania though. the hyperdimension games are turn based rpgs so.

There's the God Eater games too which are anime monster hunters.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

beef express posted:

Yeah, I remember reading an article about the alien's AI, it uses a heatmap to smell you out, so if you hide consistently in the same place it'll patrol that area. However, it can only attack you in cupboards and lockers if it's patrolling. It has to see you crawl under a table to attack you there, IIRC, and its sight radius is way less than the androids. It also treats windows as walls so you're perfectly safe to peer at it through a window.

I still really like the game even knowing the smoke and mirrors tricks it pulls, with a few more behaviours I think the alien could've been genuinely terrifying.

I would love to look behind the curtain. Remember where you read this?

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Gameko posted:

Some others:

-The Ys series. I like Origin the best and it's a clean entry to the series since it takes place way before any of the other games. Play as the girl first. If you eventually play Ys 1-2, you'll notice a ton of callbacks from Origin. 1-2 also play drastically different from the rest of the series.
-Momodora Reverie is really good.
-Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, the best Shantae game
-Phantom Breaker is a really good beat em up but it has more in common with a fighting game than other beat em ups. More technically complex than button mashing and quite good if you can get over the barrier of entry.
-Fortune Summoners is pretty good, though it feels quite floaty at first and is pretty difficult. Like Phantom Breaker, much more complex mechanically than it looks.
-Xanadu Next
-Gurumin is a 3d action game and is cool and cute.
-Khimera Destroy All Monster Girls is free and and pretty god.
-Earth Defense Force 4.1
-Metal Gear Rising is as anime as they come and good.
-Forward to the Sky is bad, don't get it.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 29, 2016

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Edmond Dantes posted:

For all my gushing about the game, I know drat well it's not perfect. I do think you're relying too much on combat from what I've read; try using distractions (craft noisemakers if you already have them, if you don't flares make a good substitute) and if all that fails, run the gently caress away. The droids can't run, so just get up and loving sprint if you're getting swarmed by them.

You can also wrench humans, that's how I got through that hall the first time. :v:

The AI for the Alien itself is... twitchy. I've had that fucker track me across 5 rooms and smell me inside a locker, only to have her chase me around a shelf for 30 seconds like the dumbest Tom and Jerry episode ever a couple minutes later. I think she's still in dumb mode at this point in the game though; she goes into full hunter mode in Medical if I recall correctly.

Yeah, I now just walk up to them, then run back and around them - continuing my merry Benny Hill gameplay :)

Sounds and art is great though, and deserved a way better fate than being mashed together with the rest.

More story:
Crouching next to a vent I saw the alien dripping sloppy goo and tossed a smoke grenade his way - no reaction at all. Didn't go for the object, me or anything else.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Gameko posted:

Rabi-Ribi is really good, I have 20 hours in it and I still haven't beaten it.

Astebreed is super fun if you're into shoot'em'ups, aside from shooting stuff you also have sword you can use to destroy some bullets or attack enemies.

Croixleur Sigma is a passable arena DMC-like, though the combat isn't nearly as in-depth

Fairy Bloom Freesia was decent fun, it's a beat'em'up but all the stages are just one screen that you get waves of enemies in. Also has a upgrade system to buy new moves iirc.

Jigoku Kisetsukan is a free Touhou clone

If Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight counts as anime then it's also an absolutely fantastic metroidvania

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

also Recettear if you somehow don't have it. cool game where you manage a shop and then go dungeon diving for items to sell in it.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Think I'm gonna bite the bullet and grab Vermintide while it's on sale. It seems like the Collector's Edition only provides cosmetic extras, so should I just get the standard edition or is the Fatshark bundle with the dlc and other games worth it?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't knew if the bundle is worth it but mannnn I want to gush about that game. I never played L4D when that was the hot game but from what I've been told it's basically the same thing but Vermintide has melee.

It is super duper fun playing as the two characters I've played as so far. The wizard just wrecks everything and gets all the headshots, while the dwarf can absolutely smash rats from the front lines.

The rolling for items is kind of lame, but other than that I'm loving it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Gameko posted:

Rabi-Ribi is highly recommended. It's just a really solid metroidvania with some bullet hell bosses.

I always recommend Recettear but it might not be what you're looking for. It's half shop management simulator, half realtime dungeon crawler. Extremely good though and goons handled the translation.

I'd also like to add the following:

Assault Android Cactus - just a drat solid and polished twin stick shooter/bullet hell with a varied cast of characters that all play fairly differently (and even more to unlock)

Ninja Pizza Girl - a fun almost endless runner

Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure really charming action-rpg about a little girl and her monster friends. Actually I'd probably recommend this one the most.

ICEY a really fun sidecrolling beat'em up with some really fun meta narrative tricks.

Of course there's the whole Ys series entries available on Steam. 1 and 2 have aged a bit, but Origins is really good.

EDIT:

Another one I forgot Fortune Summoners also translated by goon-affiliated Carpe Fulgur. Just a genuinely charming side scroller starring three mage girls.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 29, 2016

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

FishBowlRobot posted:

Think I'm gonna bite the bullet and grab Vermintide while it's on sale. It seems like the Collector's Edition only provides cosmetic extras, so should I just get the standard edition or is the Fatshark bundle with the dlc and other games worth it?

I've never played the game, so I can't answer your question, but if you want Vermintide, you should probably pay $2 extra and pick it up from Humble Monthly, where you'll get Vermintide immediately and a whole bunch of other games at the start of January.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Mokinokaro posted:

ICEY a really fun sidecrolling beat'em up with some really fun meta narrative tricks.

Icey is real cool, I played through most of it a few days ago, it's fun trying to figure out how to piss off the narrator.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

beef express posted:

Haha, yeah the alien doesn't see through windows, which you can definitely use to your advantage later on.

Actually, I haven't touched any of the lore besides (some of) the movies, but do we even know if the aliens have light-based vision? They don't have visible eyes and they hang out in a lot of dark vents and corners.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Avasculous posted:

Actually, I haven't touched any of the lore besides (some of) the movies, but do we even know if the aliens have light-based vision? They don't have visible eyes and they hang out in a lot of dark vents and corners.

The devs of the game have specifically stated they modeled it as if it was blind.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
So apparently Gamestop's online store has Wasteland 2 for 5 bucks. Just fyi.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Downs Duck posted:

Yeah, I now just walk up to them, then run back and around them - continuing my merry Benny Hill gameplay :)

Sounds and art is great though, and deserved a way better fate than being mashed together with the rest.

More story:
Crouching next to a vent I saw the alien dripping sloppy goo and tossed a smoke grenade his way - no reaction at all. Didn't go for the object, me or anything else.

To my knowledge, the alien doesn't give a poo poo about smoke. You will only ever have a few items that can actually deter the thing. Noisemakers are both great, and awful. Because it will interrupt his patrolling and that can be both good, and then awful as he becomes less predictable.

When you do get pipe bombs/molotovs, do be careful at throwing them at the thing. You will only ever have one shot at it when he's running at you. I still don't know if it was just me, but whenever I did hit him with one of those, it seemed to make it goddamn angry. It came back to the spot I chucked items at with a vengeance once it retreated back into the vents momentarily.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gaghskull posted:

When you do get pipe bombs/molotovs, do be careful at throwing them at the thing. Whenever I did hit him with one of those, it seemed to make it goddamn angry.
GOnna go out on a limb and say that is actually pretty accurate AI.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

GOnna go out on a limb and say that is actually pretty accurate AI.

Throwing poo poo really is a last resort. When I have been chased into a corner and realize that there's no flamethrower fuel left.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Deus Ex Mankind Divided is not a lot until you add the DLC pack.

Is the DLC worth it.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

Stephen's Sausage Roll isn't fantastic or anything, but it's the best puzzle game of 2016. Jon Blow, indie dev behind 2016's The Witness, also calls it the best puzzle game of the year.

It's not sokoban but if you HATE sokoban I would avoid it. Otherwise yep it's good.

Why is it so expensive?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Sion posted:

Deus Ex Mankind Divided is not a lot until you add the DLC pack.

Is the DLC worth it.

I've been unimpressed with the DLC so far. A Criminal Past is a 40 minute section that should have been in the base game Ctrl + X'd into DLC. System Rift is better, but it's still really short and I would not pay $12 for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Why is it so expensive?

Some indie devs who makes games that appeal to a very small niche tend to price their games at a bit of a premium. Its an outdated mindset imo, but hey whatever works for them.

• Locked thread