Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Gonz posted:

Almost all of the leaked set photos from the production of Episode VIII.

http://www.imgur.com/a/nf4ZW

The last shot is Rey looking at that hill while Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, and Mark Hamill pass over it in a Danse Macabre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It really sucks that we won't get a Luke and Leia reunion scene. They were probably building up to that for 9.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It took nine movie but we finally get to see the Fashion Planet.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Everybody in those set pictures look like they're cosplaying as Bella Lugosi

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It took nine movie but we finally get to see the Fashion Planet.

It's giving me serious Naboo flashbacks and I'm scared

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Recast Leia with Betty White and never address it.

#bettyforleia

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's giving me serious Naboo flashbacks and I'm scared

The look of Theed Palace / Naboo was one of the best things in the prequels, so I don't mind at all.

Apes-A-Poppin
Dec 3, 2015

Would be nice if they, instead of fearing to address the prequels that much, would embrace them and use e.g. Naboo or other worlds.

I was hopeful in VII that the ecumenopolis planet was Coruscant but no.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It really sucks that we won't get a Luke and Leia reunion scene. They were probably building up to that for 9.

I'm really hoping Disney had enough forsight and filmed something with the two of them together for this or the next episode. I'll take anything.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
CGI force ghost Leia or no sale

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The rumor regarding Leia in VIII is that there's a coup attempt and she spends a good portion of the movie in a coma.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
In Ep8 Leia is only shot from the back like Steinbrenner in Seinfeld.

Also I wonder if it was in Harrison's contract that he'd do ep7 if he was killed off and didn't have to kiss Carrie Fisher. Cause man that forehead kiss was awkward.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 28, 2016

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Just saw this, pretty good and yeah it was pretty drat good.

But I seriously laughed out loud when Vader starting that sexy-rear end walk. WTF couldn't they tell they guy to tone down the hips a little bit?

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

maniacripper posted:

Just saw this, pretty good and yeah it was pretty drat good.

But I seriously laughed out loud when Vader starting that sexy-rear end walk. WTF couldn't they tell they guy to tone down the hips a little bit?

You gonna tell a dark lord of the Sith his hips be lyin'?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Who was in that costume anyway?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Jessica Rabbit?

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

Jose Oquendo posted:

Who was in that costume anyway?

A different celebrity for every shot.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Saw Rogue One, thought it was pretty great. I like that they had their evil base on a loving beach. I pictured Scarif as a nasty desert planet but I was dead wrong. I just imagine a bunch of sunbathing stormtroopers. More bad guys should have their evil bases somewhere nice. Also I bet if you piss off your boss in Starwarsland you get transferred to horrible rainstorm hellmountain base.

I'm surprised more people don't go around with big fuckoff laser miniguns like whatsisface though, that thing was mad. Oh, and part way through I suddenly realised everyone was going to die because otherwise where would they be in A New Hope and so on. Really I should have known that from the start.

K2 was excellent. And I liked the big extended scene at the end to remind everyone that Darth Vader loving rules. And he choked an underling. also RIP Admiral Radish, cut into calamari by a space wizard. I assume anyway.

If they're all this good, then fine, I hope they make a ton of these films alongside the main ones.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Aaronicon posted:

A lot of the early leaks were about her spending the whole movie in a coma or otherwise out of action. I'm sure there's a board meeting going on as we speak about how to CGI in an end for Leia.

These leaks were for Episode IX? Or VIII?

Aren't they in post-production for VIII?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
They were for VIII. From what I recall, there was also some additional filming that went on a last summer which was rumored to also bulk up Leia's screen time. This coming after Rian put together a rough cut of the film.

I'm not sure whether Leia was supposed to originally live or die, but if she was to have lived, I could see her possibly "recovering" enough to become semi-active again so she can lead everyone to keep in line with how the story was possibly supposed to go, but we would get new lines from doctors telling her she should rest and that she's hurting her body. Then once she sees Luke is back, she gives her Obi-Wan "My part is done" look and they have her pass on and leave the rest to him.

The fact they were already setting her up to be gravely injured, which is sad in hindsight, seems to give them options on how to handle it.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Well I hope there's at least a scene of Luke and Leia reuniting.

It's weird. I was talking to my dad about this over Christmas right after I read that she had a MI. We're both physicians (he's retired), so when the story came out the other day about her being in "stable condition," I literally said "yea but I'm afraid that everyone is going to think she's all-clear and then she'll have an anterior wall rupture in a few days."

That seems to be exactly what happened :smith:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

THORIUM posted:

Well I hope there's at least a scene of Luke and Leia reuniting.

It's weird. I was talking to my dad about this over Christmas right after I read that she had a MI. We're both physicians (he's retired), so when the story came out the other day about her being in "stable condition," I literally said "yea but I'm afraid that everyone is going to think she's all-clear and then she'll have an anterior wall rupture in a few days."

That seems to be exactly what happened :smith:

Eh, "stable" for us can mean "off pressors but still intubated and with an actual stable rhythm instead of VT our VF." I get the feeling she threw a massive PE, arrested, they got her into some semblance of stability in the CCU, and then she either blew out or was clearly in multi organ failure and not coming back.

I haven't read any reports about them detailing anything about what happened other than MI and arrest, though.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Eh, "stable" for us can mean "off pressors but still intubated and with an actual stable rhythm instead of VT our VF." I get the feeling she threw a massive PE, arrested, they got her into some semblance of stability in the CCU, and then she either blew out or was clearly in multi organ failure and not coming back.

I haven't read any reports about them detailing anything about what happened other than MI and arrest, though.

I've heard rumors she never regained consciousness following the cardiac arrest.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

And now her mom just had a stroke. Jesus

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Fuzz posted:

We'll never know unless we get a look at her chart, but why PE instead of a LAD? I doubt the family would give such an optimistic statement to the press unless it was an initial MI. Def blew out though b/c it's right in that window where it always happens.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

banned from Starbucks posted:

And now her mom just had a stroke. Jesus

2016 can get hosed already.

edit: someone already updated her wikipedia page with "cause of death: stroke" What a jackass...

Preston Waters fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 28, 2016

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Debbie has also now passed away. Man, poor Billie.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/debbie-reynolds-dead-at-84/ar-BBxFmOT?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

There is...another...

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Oh for the love of....

I watched Rogue One for the third time today. The squid thing is still stupid, but the CGI Tarkin didn't bother me at all, and the final act is still fan-loving-tastic.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

THORIUM posted:

We'll never know unless we get a look at her chart, but why PE instead of a LAD? I doubt the family would give such an optimistic statement to the press unless it was an initial MI. Def blew out though b/c it's right in that window where it always happens.

End of a transatlantic flight right as they were landing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CGI Tarkin actually works way better in 2D for me.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
3DPU!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

You know, I wonder if this has any effect on how people think the CGI'd actors look. I saw it in 2D and thought Tarkin was passable enough (not... perfect, but close enough to not ruin the scenes) while Leia looked kinda flat and plasticy. Maybe the 3D effect makes things look better/worse?

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I thought CGI Tarkin was terrible, because for the most part it was totally gratuitous. He was used so much, and in ways that seemed totally unnecessary, that, despite the CGI being technically well-executed, it was clear there was no actual acting, emotion or -- really -- anything at all normally involved in human conversation. Because he was CGI, the end goal was not "deliver a good performance that adds to this scene" but "deliver a performance that looks as technically unflawed and as real as possible." Unfortunately, real humans mess up their words ever-so-slightly, do slightly weird things with their face, and don't move their mouths or face in precisely the same way every time they produce a given phoneme. CGI Tarkin was like a how-to on ensuring that even really well-executed CGI is thoroughly inside the uncanny valley.

For the 2-second Leia cameo, it's like, yeah, sure, go with that. I know it's CGI (or, even better: I just sort of guess or assume), but whatever. For Tarkin, who just keeps showing up, for minutes at a time, and always with the most banal editing in the entire movie, and then the conversation ends but the camera still just full-on lingers on Tarkin, in the full-on light, staring into space like :geno: I kept being like, "Why? Why are they doing this? What is this adding to anything?"

Like, put him in shadows or something. Use the purposely lovely Star Wars blue hologram tech. Hell, use the ol' "ominous instant messages go back and forth" on their giant black and white e-reader screen. Use him at least a little sparingly.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Asimo posted:

You know, I wonder if this has any effect on how people think the CGI'd actors look. I saw it in 2D and thought Tarkin was passable enough (not... perfect, but close enough to not ruin the scenes) while Leia looked kinda flat and plasticy. Maybe the 3D effect makes things look better/worse?

Opening night, saw it in 3D and every time he showed up it was extremely noticeable. Second viewing was in 2D and only the first time he showed up was it glaringly obvious, Tarkin looked way too flushed and he emoted too much when speaking. Peter Cushing in the role was pale and stone cold emotionless when talking.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I saw it in both 2d and 3D and if you hadn't told me they were CG i wouldn't have known.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > Star Wars VIII spoil-o-rama thread. Tarkin might look horrible or he might not look horrible, we can't decide.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

DirtyRobot posted:

I thought CGI Tarkin was terrible, because for the most part it was totally gratuitous. He was used so much, and in ways that seemed totally unnecessary, that, despite the CGI being technically well-executed, it was clear there was no actual acting, emotion or -- really -- anything at all normally involved in human conversation. Because he was CGI, the end goal was not "deliver a good performance that adds to this scene" but "deliver a performance that looks as technically unflawed and as real as possible." Unfortunately, real humans mess up their words ever-so-slightly, do slightly weird things with their face, and don't move their mouths or face in precisely the same way every time they produce a given phoneme. CGI Tarkin was like a how-to on ensuring that even really well-executed CGI is thoroughly inside the uncanny valley.

If I understand it correctly, there was a real human actor doing facial motion capture. I don't think it was hand-animated from scratch.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

Same, it was really his eyes that threw me more than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I don't know if it was lighting or how much he moved but sometimes CGI Tarkin looked like Peter Cushing and sometimes he looked like Dobby from Harry Potter.

• Locked thread