Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

OSHA: There are some dead motherfuckers in this video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

Wow there are some dead motherfuckers in this video :stare:

Yea, I wasn't sure until the fire on the highway with the guy that couldn't pry the door open of the truck. That driver didn't get out of that inferno. :(

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Spiteski posted:

Yea, I wasn't sure until the fire on the highway with the guy that couldn't pry the door open of the truck. That driver didn't get out of that inferno. :(

On the way back from Naples this summer I ended up passing a giant car fire on I-4. Those infernos are even more terrifying up close, when you can feel the heat from across the road (even for a small car on fire) and smell the smoke through closed windows. I remember trying to look through the windows to see if there was anybody inside, but I couldn't see anything but fire.

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

We are each responsible for our own destiny.

mostlygray posted:

The pisser is that all of these drivers were probably stone-cold sober. I could forgive them if they were drunk and strung out on meth but their life decisions, I'm sure, were made while they were sober as a judge. The people that loaded were idiots, the drivers were idiots, the traffic control was designed by idiots. Christ almighty, stop over-loading your vehicle. The center of gravity on those loads is above the drivers head. Pay some drat attention. I don't care if you don't care about your own life, but care about others.

In a lot of countries, you have to deal with:

• OSHA means "who do I have have to pay to look the other way?"
  • "This is how we've always done it (just on a smaller scale) / we've got this"
  • Incompetence/negligence/ignorance
  • A completely different way of doing things / not giving a poo poo
  • Not losing face
  • Do exactly what the boss says or lose your job
  • Physics is Satan

My father used to work for a bauxite mine in Guinea. Some of the stories he told me make you wonder "what the gently caress?". I mean, how you overload and topple a gigantic haul mining truck?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Three-Phase posted:

Might be a neutral but that's still completely wrong for several different reasons.

Here's the proper way to do a splice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhIuiIWtF5c (Just a splicing video, 15kV cable.)

We had issues at work because some of the manufacturers for these kits are like "YOU MUST USE A PROPANE TORCH TO SHRINK THE OUTER JACKET!" The problem is that using a torch in a lot of businesses requires what's called a "hot work permit". We used electric heat guns but they took much longer to shrink down the outer jackets. Haven't had any issues.
Using a heat gun to avoid hot work permitting is probably avoiding the spirit of hot work permitting.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My first job underground I was walking around and a piece of equipment was coming towards me (can't remember if it was a 40 ton haul truck, or a 6ish yard loader, I think the loader). I stood off to the side of the road up against the wall as much as I could in order to let it pass and when its front tires were about 5 yards past me the one on the side I was on blew out. It scared the poo poo out of me and I got pelted pretty hard with some gravel, but at the time I didn't really realize how much worse it could have been.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Except all those times that municipalities ignore the engineering suggestions and set speed limits arbitrarily. A lot of larger cities will have some mechanism where you can request a traffic study to get a speed limit adjusted, but good luck with that in rural areas that get a substantive portion of their revenue from ticketing drivers passing by.

Its probably easier to get something like that changed in rural cities like a few of the ones I represent, because you live like a block away from your local city council member, or you only need like 75 signatures to put a referendum on the ballot.

Most people only intersect with their local government when they get a ticket, or pay their water bill or whatever, and never take the time to understand how local government, traffic laws and law enforcement, city planning and engineering, and political engagement work. Instead, they take the slice of poo poo-cake they got, and extrapolate out their emotional response to a singular event into a top-down diagram of the entire system and it's value structure.

I never got why people find it so hard to believe that police officers and municipals Court might genuinely want to enforce speeding laws. Like if the State legislature did away with traffic fines, and just did points and license suspensions, People would still get just as many speeding tickets. There would just be way fewer drivers on the road.

Edit: Also, I'm curious when anyone has ever heard of city council ignoring staff's recommendation on the speed limit, and setting it "arbitrarily." I'm sure its happened somewhere in the last 80 years, but the suggestion that its some rampant issue seems absurd to me.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 29, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

blarzgh posted:

Its probably easier to get something like that changed in rural cities like a few of the ones I represent, because you live like a block away from your local city council member, or you only need like 75 signatures to put a referendum on the ballot.

Most people only intersect with their local government when they get a ticket, or pay their water bill or whatever, and never take the time to understand how local government, traffic laws and law enforcement, city planning and engineering, and political engagement work. Instead, they take the slice of poo poo-cake they got, and extrapolate out their emotional response to a singular event into a top-down diagram of the entire system and it's value structure.

I never got why people find it so hard to believe that police officers and municipals Court might genuinely want to enforce speeding laws. Like if the State legislature did away with traffic fines, and just did points and license suspensions, People would still get just as many speeding tickets. There would just be way fewer drivers on the road.

Edit: Also, I'm curious when anyone has ever heard of city council ignoring staff's recommendation on the speed limit, and setting it "arbitrarily." I'm sure its happened somewhere in the last 80 years, but the suggestion that its some rampant issue seems absurd to me.
A city council? The federal interstate system went insane at one point. I can't drive 55. More recently, the 00s saw a spate of states removing cities' rights to set limits on state highways to remove literal revenue generating speed traps because studies started getting published that speed traps are dangerous because the turbulent bit where people are changing speeds is one of the more dangerous parts of driving on a straight lined highway.

Speed limits are a quagmire at the best of times. Safety theory, in general for every topic in this thread including road safety, is that administrative enforcement is the least effective. This is the basis behind the most modern ideas of traffic planning where traffic calming features are built into designs to make people feel like they are going as fast as they can handle.

e. A relatively recent case of a state stepping in because of a city taking advantage of traffic laws. But I always grew up with the advice from my parents that any highway that isn't an interstate (and occassionally some interstates but that seemed the earliest to be cleaned up) is going to lead to a speed trap.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 29, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

chitoryu12 posted:

On the way back from Naples this summer I ended up passing a giant car fire on I-4. Those infernos are even more terrifying up close, when you can feel the heat from across the road (even for a small car on fire) and smell the smoke through closed windows. I remember trying to look through the windows to see if there was anybody inside, but I couldn't see anything but fire.

holy poo poo! piss! it's so hot in here!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

There is a town in Ohio where the speed limit its 25 it is so hard not to speed on that road. School limit is 20. There are 3 schools on that road. The school limit is turned on even during Christmas break.

I swear that it is set like that to print money.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaah

vvv Oh ok that makes sense. Because jesus christ that looks like the literal worst idea on the surface

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 29, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that one isn't as big a deal as it looks. the breaker will still blow, you just can't turn it off (or back on again) by hand without getting a screwdriver. probably a ghetto way of rigging the breaker so that something important doesn't get turned off without planning.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

tater_salad posted:

There is a town in Ohio where the speed limit its 25 it is so hard not to speed on that road. School limit is 20. There are 3 schools on that road. The school limit is turned on even during Christmas break.

I can show you several in NC where it's a flat, straight, wide enough for five lanes US highway through a completely dead village where every single commercial building along the road has been boarded up since the 70s and the posted limit is 20MPH.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

That's basically an insurance companies dream there.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bip Roberts posted:

That's basically an insurance companies dream there.

Why? Breaker still trips in the case of short or overload.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Sagebrush posted:

that one isn't as big a deal as it looks. the breaker will still blow, you just can't turn it off (or back on again) by hand without getting a screwdriver. probably a ghetto way of rigging the breaker so that something important doesn't get turned off without planning.

Or on if someone is working on something (dishwasher?) hardwired into that breaker.

I think we discussed that one in one of the various OSHA / wiring / construction threads recently.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

flosofl posted:

Why? Breaker still trips in the case of short or overload.

Fire marshal goes to the breaker box first and sees that thing means immediately voided coverage.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

tater_salad posted:

There's a town up here in the Cleveland area that got the state laws on Mayors Courts changed because it so heavily abused the 400 feet of I-71 that happened to pass through its jurisdiction. They didn't even have an on/offramp so their officers had to go a significant distance out of their jurisdiction to get out there and back in.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

wolrah posted:

There's a town up here in the Cleveland area that got the state laws on Mayors Courts changed because it so heavily abused the 400 feet of I-71 that happened to pass through its jurisdiction. They didn't even have an on/offramp so their officers had to go a significant distance out of their jurisdiction to get out there and back in.

There is a town in upstate NY that has a quarter mile of I-490 that passes through their jurisdiction. Apparently they budget for nearly $300,000 in profits from tickets in that quarter mile every year. After I learned that I was very careful for that tiny stretch.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

wolrah posted:

:hfive: fellow Cleveland goon. Linndale was the absolute worst. 115 people making lives miserable for anyone commuting to/from the west side.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
I'm actually impressed with how neatly that copper is twisted and screwed down. Usually there's like a big ole deck screw just driven through everything with a mallet. Or a short piece of wire skipping the breaker. Good for you guy that wants to see his family burn, but wants his electrical work looking tidy.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

RyokoTK posted:

holy poo poo! piss! it's so hot in here!

he clearly says "badass", not piss

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dillbag posted:

He clearly pronounces is as a single syllable

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

HairyManling posted:

I'm actually impressed with how neatly that copper is twisted and screwed down. Usually there's like a big ole deck screw just driven through everything with a mallet. Or a short piece of wire skipping the breaker. Good for you guy that wants to see his family burn, but wants his electrical work looking tidy.

Why do people insist on believing the breaker is disabled? No one is going to burn. Worst case scenario is an appliance isn't able to be unplugged for some reason, and someone gets electrocuted working on it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

HairyManling posted:

Why does everyone seem to think this makes the breaker stop working? It doesn't. It stops you from manually tripping it or turning it back on if it does trip.

e: :argh: ^fb!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Dillbag posted:

Why on earth would you think that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

What the gently caress am I witnessing. Like seriously what the hell is this whole situation?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

What the gently caress am I witnessing. Like seriously what the hell is this whole situation?

17.7.2011 Never Forget!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Looks like they're trying to knock down some kind of security mesh that's closing off access to the ramp?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

GotLag posted:

Looks like they're trying to knock down some kind of security mesh that's closing off access to the ramp?

It looks like the guy could have lifted it and let her drive through. Judging by the time theyre probably both drunk, so all bets are off.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

This is beautiful and insane.

JB50 posted:

It looks like the guy could have lifted it and let her drive through. Judging by the time theyre probably both drunk, so all bets are off.

THis is EXACTLY what I was thinking, but.. what's weird is... the car is THROUGH the security gate, then they go back through it to flip the car. WHICH SIDE DO THEY WANT TO BE ON!?!?!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

HairyManling posted:

I've got a Federal Pacific box, I don't need to worry about wiring my fuses open, they'll never break anyway :v:

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

MF_James posted:

what's weird is... the car is THROUGH the security gate, then they go back through it to flip the car. WHICH SIDE DO THEY WANT TO BE ON!?!?!

that side, obviously

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I doubt you can just lift a security gate like that by hand.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Spiteski posted:

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3714504

This happened close to me. Basically The truck driver tried to swerve to avoid a stopped vehicle, and crashed in the other truck. The second truck driver tried to get him out but the doors where too damaged to be openable. The oil truck driver was passed out inside. I'm not sure if it's visible in that shot, but through a zoomed shot from another angle, you could see the guy become extremely mad at his inability to open the doors.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Here's (pretty uninformative) article:
http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/23/car-vs-garage-door-what-on-earth-is-this-driver-doing-4918003/

quote:

A security video from a car park in Höfðatorg, Iceland, shows the driver of car repeatedly (and inexplicably) reversing at full speed into a shutter.
---
According to Albert Omar Guðbrandsson, the caretaker of the car park who was away at the time, the incident happened over three years ago but has been released recently for legal reasons.
The couple, he said, were not injured, though he had no clue what they were attempting to do.
‘The damages were substantial,’ he said.
‘I think the damages were around 5million Iceland kronas (£25,500).’

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

"Reddit users have speculated as to what the couple are doing and why.

‘Alcohol may have been a factor,’ writes Fruitloop_Dingus."

When the only other information out there regarding a subject is "speculation on the internet", maybe stick to just the original source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

hanales posted:

:hfive: fellow Cleveland goon. Linndale was the absolute worst. 115 people making lives miserable for anyone commuting to/from the west side.

My car's GPS/SATNAV allows you to draw a box and label that as a "never navigate though area". I only have one set up and it's a small box covering Linndale. Specifically the underpass where they have tons of cameras. Linndale can go STRAIGHT TO HELL.

Breaker chat: Little molded-case breakers like that have a trip-free feature where they will open no matter then handle's position.

The big medium-voltage switchgear breakers are fun (say 4160 to 35000 volts at up to around 2000 amps). Those breakers have a close (turn on) and a trip (turn off) solenoid. The problem is that if you lose trip circuit power you can get into a situation where you cannot trip the breaker off if there's a fault somewhere.

There are some new designs with a capacitor to store power in the trip circuit and if control power is lost that causes the breaker to automatically trip open. But the problem is there are cases where a trip could be way more problematic than a breaker being stuck on.