Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Yeah ya'll keep playing your little I beat the devil at his own game poo poo. I'm tellin ya, O'Dimm is watching Geralt just waiting for his time to strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
As a new player, are there any mods that would improve my first run? Or would it be better to just play it the way it was intended?

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Loose Ifer posted:

As a new player, are there any mods that would improve my first run? Or would it be better to just play it the way it was intended?

Hmm, it depends if you want the PURE WITCHER 3 experience but some quality of life mods I had and still made Witcher 3 the best game I've ever played. Mind you I don't have exact links but all of these are on the Nexus.:

- Auto Apply Oils
- Better Trophies (just makes trophies a little better, giving a better buff, I don't even recall what base trophies do now)
- Better Icons (makes it so oil icons and poo poo have their names on it)
- HDReworked
- Map Quest Objective (shows you all of you current Main Quest, Secondary Quest, Treasure Hunts and Witcher Contract objectives from your quest log on your map so you can knock out quests that are close-by)
- Big Titty Breasted HD Naked Ciri
- Geralt Hairworks (everything Nvidia Hairworks??)
- Increased LOD
- No Witcher Sense (get the one that makes it so Witcher Sense doesn't do the "zoom in" thing, makes it much more friendly to use)
- No Dirty Lens/No Glare Effect
- "Nitpickers patch" or whatever it's called.

This one could be considered cheating (due to horse races), but honestly it was mostly due to the fact I wanted to use Roach over fast travelling:

- Infinite Roach Stamina

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's a bunch of cool looking mods on the nexus: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/topalltime/ the texture and lighting ones should be nice if you've got a beefy PC

I played on PS4, but if I had played (or later do play) on PC these are the mods I'd go for:

Remove Weapon and Armor Level Restrictions
Better Trophies
Better Icons
All Quest Objectives On Map
Always Full Exp
AutoLoot - AutoLoot the items you want

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

I AM BRAWW posted:

Hmm, it depends if you want the PURE WITCHER 3 experience but some quality of life mods I had and still made Witcher 3 the best game I've ever played. Mind you I don't have exact links but all of these are on the Nexus.:

- Auto Apply Oils
- Better Trophies (just makes trophies a little better, giving a better buff, I don't even recall what base trophies do now)
- Better Icons (makes it so oil icons and poo poo have their names on it)
- HDReworked
- Map Quest Objective (shows you all of you current Main Quest, Secondary Quest, Treasure Hunts and Witcher Contract objectives from your quest log on your map so you can knock out quests that are close-by)
- Big Titty Breasted HD Naked Ciri
- Geralt Hairworks (everything Nvidia Hairworks??)
- Increased LOD
- No Witcher Sense (get the one that makes it so Witcher Sense doesn't do the "zoom in" thing, makes it much more friendly to use)
- No Dirty Lens/No Glare Effect
- "Nitpickers patch" or whatever it's called.

This one could be considered cheating (due to horse races), but honestly it was mostly due to the fact I wanted to use Roach over fast travelling:

- Infinite Roach Stamina

:stare:

Most of these are good, excluding the obvious. I'd say skip the Witcher sense thing and get Friendly UI instead. The Hairworks mod actually disables it for Geralt but no one else because some people lose their poo poo because his hair is blowing in the wind indoors sometimes.

I'd also skip the all map objectives thing since it literally removes all exploration and discovery from the game and literally is the worst thing you could install on a first play through.

I also grabbed the more accurate Witcher mod but only installed the shiny eyes because the dude hosed up the skin textures and they don't apply rain shaders properly and he removed a bunch of scars for some dumb reason.

Edit: And don't install remove level restrictions what the gently caress you people have terrible advice for a first playthrough. Being able to use a 400 damage sword at level 10 literally breaks the game, and yes there are a few that don't scale and are always crazy strong.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Fuzz posted:

Edit: And don't install remove level restrictions what the gently caress you people have terrible advice for a first playthrough. Being able to use a 400 damage sword at level 10 literally breaks the game, and yes there are a few that don't scale and are always crazy strong.

Uhh...But what if I WANT to wear the really dope rear end armor? Maybe don't use the swords, but deffo use the armors.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Drifter posted:

Uhh...But what if I WANT to wear the really dope rear end armor? Maybe don't use the swords, but deffo use the armors.

I installed a mod called "AMM" (I forget the full name) that lets you set Geralt's armour/weapons appearance (while having the stats of whatever you're wearing) to be able to play dress-up with my favourite Witcher in my next playthrough.. 😍

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I AM BRAWW posted:

I installed a mod called "AMM" (I forget the full name) that lets you set Geralt's armour/weapons appearance (while having the stats of whatever you're wearing) to be able to play dress-up with my favourite Witcher in my next playthrough.. 😍

This is the correct solution.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Fuzz posted:

I'd also skip the all map objectives thing since it literally removes all exploration and discovery from the game and literally is the worst thing you could install on a first play through.
You probably misunderstood what the mod does. It doesn't reveal every possible quest objective at the same time (that wouldn't work or make sense). It just makes all the quest objectives YOU ALREADY HAVE display on the map at the same time. Because by default, only the "currently highlighted" quest objective is displayed on the map, and that's stupid as gently caress.

Anyways, here's my mod list:
Mod merger: just there to make sure all the mods play well with each other.

Fast travel from anywhere: saves on quite a bit of annoying backtracking when exploring. Can mess up quests (when you're supposed to follow someone / when someone is supposed to talk to you the moment you exit a building) so use with care.

Map quest objectives: Shows you all current quest objectives on the map, instead of just the quest currently highlighted. Immensely useful, particularly when it comes to scavenger hunts.

Auto-apply oils: saves you a lot of hassle, since applying oils through the inventory system is just a time-wasting bother. Stops you from getting the Even Odds achievement.

Better torches: Climb, cast and fight without putting your torch away.

Cheap dyes everywhere: now you can be a shiny Witcher princess before the endgame starts.

The mods above are basically just a matter of convenience. The mods below actively change how the game plays, so fair warning if you want a "purist" experience:

General perks always active: exactly what it says. Makes the general perks a lot more viable, since there are a lot of reasons not to use them in an umodded game.

Select all mutations: allows you to use more than one mutation at a time in B&W. Kinda gamebreaking, but IMO the mutations are hard enough to get that being forced to only use one is a bit lame.

Indestructible items - no more weapon / armor degradation.

Buyable Doppler and Succubus Mutagens: Satisfy your completionist urges AND your moral concerns at the same time.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Only mod I've considered is fall damage.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Dyes outside Toussaint is a mod I'd love, can't believe they didn't patch that in

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

There's also one that lets the herbalist in Novigrad sell succubus and doppler mutagens in case you're both a completionist and a decent human being.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
The dyes are just randomly found in containers right? I've used some here and there but I've sold way more, they're good money.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I want a mod that makes human enemies have like a 1% chance of dropping a doppler mutagen

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Play without mods on your first run. This isn't a Bethesda game in need of overhauling out of the box. Just make sure you switch off Triss' alt outfit in the extras menu.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I like the all quest objectives mod, because they are color coded by difficulty. When I want to do a quest, I can just pan around the map until I see a green one instead of scrolling through a bunch of poo poo 20 levels above me.

Look at the mods available, telling people not to use them on the first run is bad advice.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I don't know that I'd recommend a big gameplay overhaul or whatever, but there are a bunch of mods available that smooth out the annoying bits and there's no real reason not to install them.

E: I mean Fallout New Vegas is my favourite game ever but there's still a bunch of mods I'd recommend for first time players.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 29, 2016

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for everyone's input, i think i found a good mix for QoL stuff that should help out.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Play without mods on your first run. This isn't a Bethesda game in need of overhauling out of the box. Just make sure you switch off Triss' alt outfit in the extras menu.

Goddamn. So much this.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

Goddamn. So much this.
Why?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

It's not only ugly as gently caress, it's inappropriate for every scene she's in - barring a party, but she gets changed for that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

It's an...evening gown - like the kind you wear to a black tie event. It's just very dumb looking. And very impractical and tacky - that's not me being grognardy, it just doesn't fit where she's coming from in the story.

At least Yen looks pretty baller in both outfits.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Triss's basic outfit is for butt people, the alt outfit is for boob people. :ms:

Disharmonica has a 🔥alt Triss cosplay, so I'm glad the DLC exists.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

That's one other mod I use, that uses her DLC outfit for the fancy dress party and otherwise keeps her normal outfit. Because, yeah, it's appropriate for a fancy dress party, but HORRIBLY inappropriate for any other point in her storyline.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

It really doesn't make much sense considering that Triss pointedly never wore anything with a v-neck in any of books and alludes to pretty much her whole front being scar tissue from when she got killed at Sodden Hill.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I thought her Witcher 2 outfit was way better than her, similar, Witcher 3 outfit. I haven't played Witcher 2 in a few years, though. But that's what I remember when I first saw her in Witcher 3.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Omnicarus posted:

It really doesn't make much sense considering that Triss pointedly never wore anything with a v-neck in any of books and alludes to pretty much her whole front being scar tissue from when she got killed at Sodden Hill.

It's Lore that sorceresses can customise their appearance however they want, which is why they all look like sexy bimbos. I don't really get why Philippa has to make do without her eyes to be honest.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Rygar201 posted:

Triss's basic outfit is for butt people, the alt outfit is for boob people. :ms:

Disharmonica has a 🔥alt Triss cosplay, so I'm glad the DLC exists.

Actually Triss' alt outfit is for people with no taste.

Her basic is also for people with no taste because anyone who does have taste dumps her in favour of Yennefer.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

2house2fly posted:

It's Lore that sorceresses can customise their appearance however they want, which is why they all look like sexy bimbos. I don't really get why Philippa has to make do without her eyes to be honest.

She should have magick'd herself a new set of eyes until her old ones grew back.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

2house2fly posted:

Because they were physically gouged out.

Sorceresses can't change their physical appearance willy nilly, they have to go through a painful transformation that can be fatal but they all do it because most them are deformed from birth. Yennefer had a hunchback and Triss had a club foot. It's presumed that neither was particularly well endowed or beautiful, either, but when you're gonna rebuild a car you generally don't intentionally leave the hood and driver's side door unpainted if you can avoid it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Evidently male sorcerers all want to look like unattractive old beardy dudes then.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Digirat posted:

Evidently male sorcerers all want to look like unattractive old beardy dudes then.

Maybe they just don't care to change how they look?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

2house2fly posted:

I think Triss not showing any cleavage in the books was because of trauma, not any remaining physical scars. They managed to fix the rest of her just fine, after all - IIRC she was nearly unrecognizable with all the burns.

As for Philippa, she only has to make do until she meets up with the rest of the lodge. I think the recordings in her hideout mention regenerating your own eyes is a lot harder than doing it for someone else.

Also I think male mages generally think looking older makes them seem dignified or something.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
yeh, it's psychological. ^

Triss posted:

They used the highest magics on us,' she continued in a muted voice, 'spells, elixirs, amulets and artifacts. Nothing was left wanting for the wounded heroes of the Hill. We were cured, patched up, our former appearances returned to us, our hair and sight restored. You can hardly see the marks. But I will never wear a plunging neckline again, Geralt. Never.

The last wish scene about appearances:

Triss posted:

Geralt glanced keenly at the elf. For a second time, he thought he saw traces of a blush on his face. It surprised him no less than Chireadan's words. Pure-blooded elves were not want to admire human women, even the very beautiful ones, and Yennefer, although attractive in her own way, couldn't pass as a great beauty.

Each to their own taste but, in actual fact, not many would describe sorceresses as good-looking. Indeed, all of them came from social circles where the only fate for daughters would be marriage. Who would have thought of condemning their daughter to years of tedious studies and the tortures of somatic mutations if she could be given away in marriage and advantageously allied? Who wished to have a sorceress in their family? Despite the respect enjoyed by magicians, a sorceress's family did not benefit from her in the least because by the time the girl had completed her education, nothing tied her to her family anymore - only brotherhood counted, to the exclusion of all else. So only daughters with no chance of finding a husband become sorceresses.

Unlike priestesses and druidesses, who only unwillingly took ugly or crippled girls, sorcerers took anyone who showed evidence of a predisposition. If the child passed the first years of training, magic entered into the equation — straightening and evening out legs, repairing bones which had badly knitted, patching hare-lips, removing scars, birthmarks and pox scars. The young sorceress would become attractive because the prestige of her profession demanded it. The result was pseudo-pretty women with the angry and cold eyes of ugly girls. Girls who couldn't forget their ugliness had been covered by the mask of magic only for the prestige of their profession.

There's another scene that talks about why guys choose their ages. Most of them go old, but some prefer to look a bit younger. Like Vilgefortz, who I think looked like he was in his thirties or something. He's always mentioned as looking really young compared to the other sorcerors. Francesca Findabair isn't modified at all by magic, because she was smoking hot to begin with, and the elves don't look down on mages like the humans do, so there's no reason for a powerful female elf to not learn magic. I also kind of remember Fringilla Vigo not being modified either, because she's a noble from Toussaint where people apparently don't look down on mages either, and also Nilfgaard, where changing appearances isn't something that sorceresses do, its culturally motivated.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Digirat posted:

Also explained in lore. Males often strive for the "wizened" look because it's what garners respect among the common folk.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I would have thought that shooting lightning out of your hands would be the part that garners respect.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Mzbundifund posted:

I would have thought that shooting lightning out of your hands would be the part that garners respect.

That can just as easily garner torches and pitchforks

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Still chipping away at my first play through.

(I think this near the end of the primary storyline, but I might still have 10 hours plus, who knows with this game)
Am I crazy or does Ciri reference Cyberpunk 2077 when she talks about going to a time when people drove in flying cars and Geralt says she's full of poo poo.

Also, this game is very good so far.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

One quality of life mod everyone should use, Carry limit 9000:
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/3/

Looting and tidying inventory is always pain in the rear end in vanilla. This mod lets you loot everything without worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Scott Forstall posted:

Still chipping away at my first play through.

(I think this near the end of the primary storyline, but I might still have 10 hours plus, who knows with this game)
Am I crazy or does Ciri reference Cyberpunk 2077 when she talks about going to a time when people drove in flying cars and Geralt says she's full of poo poo.

Also, this game is very good so far.

She does.