Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

tarlibone posted:

What gauges of strings are you using? The stock gauge is almost unplayable (for me, anyway). I now use Kallium strings because their custom VI sets are cheap and awesome.

I'm using D'Addarios and like them enough. Kallium are a bit annoying to get in the UK but one of these days...

My b broke on my labella flats and I haven't got round to ordering a replacement but I loved everything from the sound to that silky feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008
I haven't tried kallium, but you can get custom sets of stainless rounds for the VI from la bella for a major discount, I ordered two sets and it was less than the typical sealed pack.

VI's are fantastic. If I could get mine to stop pretending that everything from the 12th fret up on my low e was going through a flanger, it could be my one true love.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Jonithen posted:

I haven't tried kallium, but you can get custom sets of stainless rounds for the VI from la bella for a major discount, I ordered two sets and it was less than the typical sealed pack.

I've ordered from La Bella once. (For the VI, that is.) They sent me a set that was so close to being right that I almost felt bad for telling them that they'd sent me the 30" scale, non-Bass-VI version of the low E. This was bad because the outer wrapping, which completes the E string's width, stopped between the first fret and the nut. This meant that the string was thinner as it went through the nut, and that meant that the string hovered over the 1st fret far too low. So, it rattled.

I did get a replacement, but on the replacement, the only part that goes into the tuning peg is the plain core wire. It works, but it was weird. I got a set of Kallium this last time, and I don't think I'm going back. Right the first time.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I've had some issues with La Bellas not fitting properly too, even ones that were supposed to be the correct gauge and length for my basses.

Haven't had any problems with DRs, and since they also sound and play great, they've become my go-to string brand.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

This popped up on my YouTube feed for some reason, thought people might like to see future bass from space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA3Qah6z1gg

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Disaster

I don't think I've ever easily extracted a broken screw so I'm not looking forward to this :(

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Usually, these are sheet metal screws. Too small for a screw extractor, in my experience.

When rebuilding a bass a few months back, I ran into this problem. Here's what I did:

1. Use a Dremel tool with a routing bit (and the routing head guide part, like this kit) to route around the screw as close as possible, rubbing against the screw is OK (but try not to break it any further).

2. Go a little at a time. Periodically, stop and see if you can get some vise-grip needle nose pliers on the screw. If you can and there's enough bite, you can manually twist the screw out. If you can't, go down a little bit more.

3. Once you get the screw extracted, take a 1/4th" drill bit (NOT a paddle bit!!) to clean out and open up the hole. Do not drill through the body; you're trying to just get a shallow, uniform hole.

4. Is the screw load-bearing, go to step 5. If it is not load-bearing, for example, a screw holding in a decorative shield or something, then trim a length of 1/4" dowel to fit in the hole. Glue it in. Very, very carefully make it flush using a razor blade with 1/4" in the middle exposed and the rest covered with masking tape. Then, sand it carefully flat. Go to step 6.

5. If the screw is load-bearing (like a bridge screw), then use a plug cutter to cut a 1/4" plug from a piece of scrap wood. Glue the plug into place, and make it flush with the body as in the last part of Step 5.

6. Give the glue at least 24 hours to fully cure. If the plug or dowel is to be exposed, minimize its appearance by finishing it with a touch of color and/or poly. This isn't too important if it's going to be completely hidden under a bridge plate.

7. Drill the appropriate sized pilot hole, and insert a new screw. Do not break this one.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I was thinking of doing something similar, but with a 1/4" hole/core bit like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0032YWQ26/

What's the reasoning for using a plug of wood vs a dowel for bridge screws? Are dowels just too soft? Or is a matter of the grain running parallel to the screw vs perpendicular?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Dowels are produced end grain up. A plug you can cut to orient the grain to match whichever way the grain in the body is going.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

DrChu posted:

I was thinking of doing something similar, but with a 1/4" hole/core bit like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0032YWQ26/

What's the reasoning for using a plug of wood vs a dowel for bridge screws? Are dowels just too soft? Or is a matter of the grain running parallel to the screw vs perpendicular?

I didn't go that route simply because I don't have a drill press, and those bits are basically tiny little hole saws... and they like to skitter and scoot all over your surface if you're not careful. The plug cutters I have are self-centering, so this isn't an issue.

To your other question, you and Thumposaurus are both right. Aesthetically, Thumpo has a really good point if you're using a finish where the grain is visible. But that aside, with a dowel, you're screwing into the end grain. It'll go in and it'll stay, but it won't have much strength. By using a plug, the grain is running perpendicular to the screw (regardless of whether or not you line up the grain on the plug with the grain of the body), and it'll be as strong as a screw in an unaltered part of the body. So if strength is an issue, you should go with the plug.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Had to go with the hole saw, the screw extractor did nothing.

Luckily it didn't move around much since a little piece of the screw was sticking out and I was able to use it as a guide. Had to cut most of the length of the screw until it would move enough that I could get it out. Now to decide what to do for the plug.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
I found some people to jam with so I need some advice.

My warm up track is the Trooper by Iron Maiden.

My playstyle is a mix of Funk, Jazz, and Metal.

Any song cover recommendations?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
master of puppets, downstroke only

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Dyna Soar posted:

master of puppets, downstroke only

... ... ...

try... not... to... sink... to... that... level...

Sorry... my eye is twitching. I'm either having a stroke, or imagining that you're suggesting he play a Cliff Burton Metallica song with a... a... pick.

Must be the twitching eye.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

tarlibone posted:

... ... ...

try... not... to... sink... to... that... level...

Sorry... my eye is twitching. I'm either having a stroke, or imagining that you're suggesting he play a Cliff Burton Metallica song with a... a... pick.

Must be the twitching eye.

uh, I'm a finger bassist anyway.

Trying to learn how to double thumb.

No pick songs, or if it's a pick song like Paranoid Android by Radiohead I'll double thumb. I only use pick as a means of knowing how to do it. I don't like the sound and I think it's a crutch.

As for my playstyle think of a mix of TM Stevens meets Erland Caspersen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSWtwGSDVkc

No I am not this good. I want to be though.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Munoma posted:

What kind of songs do the other folks like to play? Possibly work out a cover everyone can work on ahead of time?

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

What kind of songs do the other folks like to play? Possibly work out a cover everyone can work on ahead of time?

Not important, I'm focusing on my ability to play.

I asked for a means of improving my ability, my competence in music theory was not requested.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Have you ever actually played with other people before? The key to a good jam is that everybody is into it. Therefore, everyone should enjoy what is being jammed on. This is where a jam list comes into play, to give some structure before you just go compose crazy poo poo on the fly as a group (the best way to end a jam is to walk out with a spontaneous song composed and arranged). Find stuff that everybody digs, practice those songs, practice every song on the albums containing those songs, practice the songs that come up as YouTube recommendations after those songs are played. That should keep you busy. The jam list/ cover list doesn't have anything to do with your theory knowledge, it has to do with group chemistry.

If you just want technical stuff to master the fingerboard and string crossings, pick up Bach for Bass and a metronome.

Otherwise, :shrug: Symphony X for technical covers? :shrug: Paradise Lost has some good stuff to keep you busy, like Domination and Set the World on Fire. For funky jazzy stuff, that is a massive library, much of which is not really stuff to "cover" vs. sketching or transcribing with pencil and staff paper. So without more specifics about your interest and that of your session mates, I would suggest James Jamerson covers. First, you don't get much more fingerstyle-bass-groovier than Jamerson. Second, everybody can use more Motown in their library of licks, and in their life in general.

E: my reply is a bit snarky, but you shot down good advice. Rug Munchu gave a solid tip to both find good relevant practice material and to help set up a successful jam.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 29, 2016

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

The Science Goy posted:

E: my reply is a bit snarky, but you shot down good advice. Rug Munchu gave a solid tip to both find good relevant practice material and to help set up a successful jam.

Advice I didn't ask for, why is this a hard idea to digest?

Anyway thanks, I'll look into the songs.

*edit*

Forgive me for being blunt. No matter how good or bad advice could be at the end of the day the goal was simply.

"I play x genre, what are songs I can play?"

You didn't see me be a dick to the troll post immediately afterward did you?

Since when is being concise frowned upon?

*edit*

Finally the project is my own EP.

oops

Munoma fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 29, 2016

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Munoma posted:

Anyway:

Your latest post gives some details to steer the direction of recommendations, in terms of inspiration as well as technical stuff. Symphony X is a prog metal band, so they will have intricate riffs, plenty of technical jerk-off licks throughout their songs (the cornerstone of progressive rock/metal) and some big thick textures in their arrangements. They are also 90s as gently caress with regard to tone, which is a plus in my book.

Jamerson was an upright player who transitioned to electric for sessions. His basslines are all great examples of how to bounce through a chord progression, as well as being good exercises at any speed. Leiber and Stoller were key to creating the Motown Sound in addition to the work of Jamerson and the rest of the boys - that history and its lasting effects are also interesting to read about if you are so inclined.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Munoma posted:

Advice I didn't ask for, why is this a hard idea to digest?

Anyway thanks, I'll look into the songs.

*edit*

Forgive me for being blunt. No matter how good or bad advice could be at the end of the day the goal was simply.

"I play x genre, what are songs I can play?"

You didn't see me be a dick to the troll post immediately afterward did you?

Since when is being concise frowned upon?

*edit*

Finally the project is my own EP.

oops

Being concise is frowned upon when you cut out actual useful information, or imply things that shouldn't be by the presence of unrelated info. If jamming with the other people wasn't the point of your request, why bring it up in the first place? Nothing in your first post indicated any desire for this to be a skill-builder.

Also "troll post?" Holy poo poo get over yourself, this is a comedy forum, you're going to get humorous replies. You should enjoy them! In short, be more conversational, less confrontational! You'll have a better time and get better results. :cheers:

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
master of puppets, quarter notes only

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Munoma posted:

Erotomania or Stream of Consciousness (if you have a 6er) by Dream Theater as a warmup, or a jam, or a cover. :feelsgood: And then you can work on the harder stuff like A Change of Seasons or the Glass Prison.

--------

So I'm gonna build a Warmoth Gecko 6 fretless instead of trying to find something reasonable out on the custom market (because there is nothing reasonable on the custom market). I know *nothing* about bass pickups because I've only ever done serious studying about guitar ones. Is there a new hotness in the bass electronics world the same way that Bareknuckle are to guitars? In my initial sweeps I liked the Bartolini P46S, which is convenient because Warmoth can route for them. Thoughts? Wouldn't mind a tone similar to Lars Norberg's tone in Ihsahn's solo work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z30rEdUA0-4

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Erotomania or Stream of Consciousness (if you have a 6er) by Dream Theater as a warmup, or a jam, or a cover. :feelsgood: And then you can work on the harder stuff like A Change of Seasons or the Glass Prison.

Real talk when I get my six string one of the first songs I plan on learning is Panic Attack by Dream Theater.

I just need to study some more Victor Wooten, everyone wants to sound like Jaco instead of sounding like themselves IMO.

I can't promise anything but I hope to be on the road to working with these songs by the end of next year.

Trying to study this for double thumbing. Weed Whacker by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBkNkb2IjAs

This gives me a headache from time to time but it's rewarding. Tommy the cat Primus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCnB5RCKl7M

I can't promise anyone will like this *Mathcore/Noise* but, this is my favorite song from my favorite band. I plan on covering this with friends, I'll be doing bass *obviously* and main vocals for the cover. Recorded inside a pyramid Daughters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ioNQoAPc8

The very lyrics in my avatar are from the first track of the album "Hell Songs" "Daughters spelled wrong"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Munoma posted:

Real talk when I get my six string one of the first songs I plan on learning is Panic Attack by Dream Theater.

True fact: the first song I learned all the way through when I got my first 5-string--a glorious white Peavey Foundation 5 with razor-sharp strings that literally made my fingers bleed--was "Take the Time" by Dream Theater.

The next one was "Cryin'" by Aerosmith. Yes, there was a time when Tom Hamilton rocked a 5-string. And Cryin' has a pretty decent bass line.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpcN5SGZqxE

Prog sucks, learn this

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Bass chat thread is a no troll zone.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I play Jamerson lines with a pick. Come at me bro

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

After a long long hiatus (~6 years), I started playing again about a year ago, and after meeting out of town with coworkers and renting a lefty MiM j-bass that I really enjoyed playing (couldn't ever find decent lefty basses to play and try anywhere else), and I finally decided to order a MiA one for myself; after a good 6 weeks wait, it's finally here and :woop:

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Juaguocio posted:

Pppffhh. What a crutch.

Edit: six week wait? Just because it is lefty or something else?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

pumped up for school posted:

Edit: six week wait? Just because it is lefty or something else?

Yeah. That was apparently also a 2017 model and one of the first ones out according to the retailer, but whenever you order lefty, if there's none in stock you gotta wait for it to be made.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

tarlibone posted:

True fact: the first song I learned all the way through when I got my first 5-string--a glorious white Peavey Foundation 5 with razor-sharp strings that literally made my fingers bleed--was "Take the Time" by Dream Theater.

The next one was "Cryin'" by Aerosmith. Yes, there was a time when Tom Hamilton rocked a 5-string. And Cryin' has a pretty decent bass line.

First bass line I learned was Possum Kingdom by the Toadies.

After that I tried and still failed to learn a song called Akuro No Oka by the J-Rock group Dir En Grey.

I can do the solo, it's just irritating because I don't play enough.

It's an almost ten minute song but I'll time stamp the solo. Not hard, just speedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5olTcPGKh0&t=300s

*edit*

Toshiya the bassist of the group was one of my greatest inspirations and he plays pick. :newlol:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
You know who else played bass with a pick? Two people come immediately to mind: Hitler and Stalin. (Mussolini played viola. Hirohito told his friends he was in an awesome band and he was their bass player, but really he played an early digital keyboard and he had no friends to play with.)

Of course, this is all mock pick hate. I play with a pick on certain things, especially if the attack sound of a pick is required or if the tempo is insane. I play "Roundabout" with my fingers or a pick, whatever I'm in the mood for. Fun fact: a guitarist once all but kicked me out of a band because I was trying out some stuff on one of the original songs we did, and some of it was with a pick. He found it extremely distasteful, to the point of being offended, and declared that there was no such thing as a good bassist who used a pick.

I didn't argue with him because Chris Squier, Billy Gould, and about a hundred other bassists are out there and have proved him wrong already. Anyone who holds fast to that opinion can't be convinced otherwise; it's like trying to convince a flat-earther that the world is round by banging your head against a brick wall.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Phil Lynott. Enough said

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

tarlibone posted:

You know who else played bass with a pick? Two people come immediately to mind: Hitler and Stalin. (Mussolini played viola. Hirohito told his friends he was in an awesome band and he was their bass player, but really he played an early digital keyboard and he had no friends to play with.)

Of course, this is all mock pick hate. I play with a pick on certain things, especially if the attack sound of a pick is required or if the tempo is insane. I play "Roundabout" with my fingers or a pick, whatever I'm in the mood for. Fun fact: a guitarist once all but kicked me out of a band because I was trying out some stuff on one of the original songs we did, and some of it was with a pick. He found it extremely distasteful, to the point of being offended, and declared that there was no such thing as a good bassist who used a pick.

I didn't argue with him because Chris Squier, Billy Gould, and about a hundred other bassists are out there and have proved him wrong already. Anyone who holds fast to that opinion can't be convinced otherwise; it's like trying to convince a flat-earther that the world is round by banging your head against a brick wall.

I just happened to have a strong bias against pick. I don't see any reason to change my view point due to the fact that I play for myself.

However I won't tell someone they are less than for using pick, I just believe it to be a crutch if you can play fast on pick and then stumble with fingers.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I like playing fingerstyle too, but pickstyle feels more natural to me. I actually see far more bass players playing pickstyle in bands these days.

Constipated posted:

Phil Lynott. Enough said

One of the finest, and most underrated Rock musicians. Great bassist, fantastic songwriter, powerful and compelling frontman. The sheer depth of Thin Lizzy's catalog still amazes me.

Berry Oakley will always be #1 for me. His playing on At Fillmore East is what really turned me on to the possibilities of electric bass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rQWh62VUHE

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
all fingerstyle players should know the first 5 sabbath albums front to back

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Juaguocio posted:

gently caress yeah. I don't hear people bagging on Carol Kaye.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Sockington posted:

gently caress yeah. I don't hear people bagging on Carol Kaye.

That's because she is such a badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Do guitar players give folks like Buckingham and Knopfler as much crap for not using a pick?