Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Ah thanks folks. What does holding LMB do? Does this mean the fire will ping as soon as I finish hooking?

Yep, otherwise the other person may be able to do something before it goes off. Don't be afraid to let go of the fire button if you see the hook go weird btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I feel like Hog is a little slower than when I first played as him. Like the GCD between abilities feels a bit slower to me. Maybe it's in my head, though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
At my SR (currently 1,000-1,100), I can safely say that it is Torb, Symmetra, Rein and Roadhog that are carrying me out, but Lucio feels like I actually make my team play better, because their dumb moves don't kill them instantly cuz I'm healing them and boopin' there enemies away from EZ kills

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I feel like Hog is a little slower than when I first played as him. Like the GCD between abilities feels a bit slower to me. Maybe it's in my head, though.

Nothing to this effect has been changed since launch.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Roadhog intentionally has a lot of delay between the execution of his abilities. What's probably happening is that, after playing other characters (like Tracer, whose abilities and weapons all flow very smoothly with little delay) for a long time, he seems a lot slower by comparison.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Yeah I've been playing Tracer, Ana, Dva, Zen, and Soldier extensively for the past week or so and going back to Hog felt excruciatingly slow at first. Makes sense, I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vermain posted:

Roadhog intentionally has a lot of delay between the execution of his abilities. What's probably happening is that, after playing other characters (like Tracer, whose abilities and weapons all flow very smoothly with little delay) for a long time, he seems a lot slower by comparison.

If he was able to transition between empty gun->reloading->full gun as fast as tracer (even with the extra time taken to slap a fistful of Genjibutt into the receiver) then he would be a crazily different and way more dangerous character. He and other tanks are probably slowed down out of necessity so that you don't end up with unkillable tanks who have zero downtime between actions.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I should play more Lucio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnMyik96pfE

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I know Tracer's reload is faster than average (one second instead of 1.5) but do any of the characters have slower-than-average reloads?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Zenyatta's reload is pretty slow - 2 seconds? Bastion and Torbjörn too, apparently.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Lucio feels much lower impact now. He was basically the only character I played for the first hundred or so hours, and then I rotated through a bunch more and didn't play him much because I'd burned out on him somewhat. Going back to him, the cumulative nerfs are really noticeable.

Like he used to be so very good that you'd carry people and help a team totally despite themselves, just by reasonable positioning and use of Amp It Up. Now people have to want to be helped or you don't achieve much. Which is probably where he should be, realistically... but if you have a team that just won't group up and follow through the choke on speed boost there's not much Lucio can do for them, where previously it was quite possible to just keep them up at the choke and coax them through bit by bit. He can't keep them standing so much now.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I know Tracer's reload is faster than average (one second instead of 1.5) but do any of the characters have slower-than-average reloads?

Ana, I think? If you don't cancel out the animation I think it's 2 seconds.

Just looked it up, I guess it's 1.5, feels longer though

berenzen fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 30, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

berenzen posted:

Ana, I think? If you don't cancel out the animation I think it's 2 seconds.

Just looked it up, I guess it's 1.5, feels longer though

Roadhog feels like it takes forever because I'm bad and constantly end up needing to reload when I should be shooting someone in the face.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hit that reload button whenever ya got a second's peace

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

FAUXTON posted:

Roadhog feels like it takes forever because I'm bad and constantly end up needing to reload when I should be shooting someone in the face.

Roadhog has a downright pitiful ammo capacity, and so you need to do some pretty significant shots or not bother at all since you can't plink away at people with him, and that's one of the reasons I don't particularly enjoy playing as him.

Kilano
Feb 25, 2006

Theta Zero posted:

Roadhog has a downright pitiful ammo capacity, and so you need to do some pretty significant shots or not bother at all since you can't plink away at people with him, and that's one of the reasons I don't particularly enjoy playing as him.

i love roadhog because I can plink away. you just have to watch your ammo. You can shoot 3 shots, throw a hook, and instagib a squishy before running off to heal and reload

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Kilano posted:

i love roadhog because I can plink away. you just have to watch your ammo. You can shoot 3 shots, throw a hook, and instagib a squishy before running off to heal and reload

That's the thing, I don't like watching my ammo, I just like shooting the bad men, so I gravitate around characters like Ana, Soldier 76, and Zarya who you can just fire with pretty mindlessly and reload during down time.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Bust Rodd posted:

At my SR (currently 1,000-1,100), I can safely say that it is Torb, Symmetra, Rein and Roadhog that are carrying me out, but Lucio feels like I actually make my team play better, because their dumb moves don't kill them instantly cuz I'm healing them and boopin' there enemies away from EZ kills
Lucio is fun but man if you get good at Zenyatta you'll carry, hard. I rode that tranquility train from 1700-ish up to 2400 just slam picking zen in solo Q

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I am a really bad Zen and was incredibly impressed with the hero when I killed a mercy with a single right click.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

I am a really bad Zen and was incredibly impressed with the hero when I killed a mercy with a single right click.

if you hit every orb with a full charge, you do 230 damage. they can headshot too (meaning a max of 460 damage), so technically the orb volley is the strongest single click in the game outside of ults. you're not ever gonna do that but it's fun to think about

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you do do it sometimes, when you get lucky or the other guy is a moron

e: or if you round a corner charging and a friendly mei is freezing someone

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

You can do that poo poo on Volskaya like it's clockwork. Both A and B point chokes if you're defending.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I would much rather roll a string of the primary fire... I feel like the charged one is really unsafe, and sticking to the single shot + discord is better for flipping from target to target as they move or change priority relative to the rest of your team's damage. But that's just me.

Also god dammit I am back on the Mei train and it is the best, coldest train.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

3 wins, 7 losses, placed 2100. No idea if that's good or not, I had some great games and some absolute rear end in a top hat ones where I couldn't land a bullet to save my life (literally).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I zapped a Pharah to a pixel of her health on Nepal before she started flying, then jumped up and Teslad her to death.

I fell to my death afterwards, but it was worth it.

Also hit level 25 so I guess I can finally do competitive play, I'm almost dreading it. I'll probably stick with Winston/Zenyatta for that, I'm just not confident enough with my McCree aiming.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Bruceski posted:

3 wins, 7 losses, placed 2100. No idea if that's good or not, I had some great games and some absolute rear end in a top hat ones where I couldn't land a bullet to save my life (literally).

It's on the lower end of midrange. You'll likely climb rapidly if you do fairly well in regular matches.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I got the Nutcracker Zenyatta skin and it's the goofiest loving thing. It makes me wish I was any good playing him. Or that I didn't hate him.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Sym might be secretly amazing. On attack and defense. Just poop turrets nonstop as you chase your E shields and attack the whole time. Her damage output is goddamn gross and if you hide that shield ult cleverly, it's even crazier.

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
I mean, not really secretly but still, yeah.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I hope next year Blizzard doesn't make the mystery heroes christmas edition stick to only two maps. I'm loving sick to death of chokepoints. Hanamura is complete trash

PersonalGenius
Mar 1, 2013

Barefoot on the Moon

Theta Zero posted:

That's the thing, I don't like watching my ammo, I just like shooting the bad men, so I gravitate around characters like Ana, Soldier 76, and Zarya who you can just fire with pretty mindlessly and reload during down time.

DVA's guns have infinite ammo, so there's that. You and chookachookachooka at the bad men all day.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Macaluso posted:

I hope next year Blizzard doesn't make the mystery heroes christmas edition stick to only two maps. I'm loving sick to death of chokepoints. Hanamura is complete trash

Hanamura is definitely trash, but I find Mystery Heroes is insanely stacked in favour of the attackers which is OK on Hanamura. The end is still a bit tough, but the fact that they only need one comp to be broken to lose the first point, and then will probably cycle into a bad stalling comp for the second point means it's actually more balanced than regular Hanamura.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I zapped a Pharah to a pixel of her health on Nepal before she started flying, then jumped up and Teslad her to death.

I just started using Winston and while I love him I am so atrocious at using his shift jump, I always expect some kind of small leap forward and end up launching 400 ft into the middle of the entire enemy team.

Also do you actually have to land on the enemy for the damage or does the damage count if you charge at them horizontally?

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
It's a splash with falloff at the point where he lands if I recall correctly

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

eleven extra elephants posted:

I just started using Winston and while I love him I am so atrocious at using his shift jump, I always expect some kind of small leap forward and end up launching 400 ft into the middle of the entire enemy team.

Also do you actually have to land on the enemy for the damage or does the damage count if you charge at them horizontally?

Doesn't matter how you jump or how far, just where you land. Though it's Winston so you are better off trying to come from a high angle so you surprise them, otherwise you will do like 300 damage, block 600 damage with your shield, kill no one and die.

I'd love to see Winston be good again, but right now it's tough to play him in comp. everyone runs 2-3 tanks and 2 healers, which leaves very few prime targets for Winston. And then you end up with lots of strong Winston counters like Roadhog and Zen. And then you think you are about to get work done and Ana tosses a grenade at you. He's still fun in QP since you see terrible team compositions since everyone plays whoever they want.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah Winston's great at destroying squishies (so most Offense/Supports not named Reaper), but he folds pretty hard to just about any other tank.

I really like him when the opposing team just has a single Reinhardt leading the charge, because you can just leap behind him and fry the 2-3 members standing behind him. Ideally you can leap back out before you take too much heat or their snipers get you, but if you've created enough of a distraction for the rest of your team to get in and mop up, then you've done your job.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also hit level 25 so I guess I can finally do competitive play, I'm almost dreading it. I'll probably stick with Winston/Zenyatta for that, I'm just not confident enough with my McCree aiming.
i played quickplay almost exclusively until the start of season 3. Now I don't go there unless I can't talk but still want to play, and I'd probably be playing arcade if all the modes weren't trash right now.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
3v3 is good though?

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
If you like hog, soldier and ana sure. e: and d-va I guess.

Naw 3v3 can be fun but it would be fun to get to try a version of it with weekly rotating heroes or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I play a lot of 3v3 and I've seen every hero there pretty regularly (roadhog definitely takes top spot tho)