Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

Heavy Metal posted:

So I'm looking for good fun platformers, with lots of actual platforming, jumping on stuff and areas that feel fun to traverse. Not super easy, but not a hardcore dying simulator like Super Meat Boy etc.

Can be 2D or 3D, I love all the Mario, Sonic, early Crash games etc. And while I love Mega Man, Castlevania, Shovel Knight etc, those are more about combat and exploration I think, compared to full on platformers.

Was playing Shantae Riskys Revenge, pretty fun, though seems more about exploration, pretty simple platforming. Will try the other ones too though. (edit: got a bit further in, there is some cool platforming in this actually)

In a nutshell, any platforming gems with interesting/fun well done platforming?

Rayman Origins and Legends are both excellent. You may also like the new Donkey Kong Country games as well though they can be difficult as times but probably not quite as difficult as Super Meat Boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

So I'm looking for good fun platformers, with lots of actual platforming, jumping on stuff and areas that feel fun to traverse. Not super easy, but not a hardcore dying simulator like Super Meat Boy etc.

Can be 2D or 3D, I love all the Mario, Sonic, early Crash games etc. And while I love Mega Man, Castlevania, Shovel Knight etc, those are more about combat and exploration I think, compared to full on platformers.

Was playing Shantae Riskys Revenge, pretty fun, though seems more about exploration, pretty simple platforming. Will try the other ones too though. (edit: got a bit further in, there is some cool platforming in this actually)

In a nutshell, any platforming gems with interesting/fun well done platforming?

If you haven't played Freedom Planet you should give it a try.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks, I did like those new DKs, and Freedom Planet I have but haven't played yet. Also I should mention, the games don't need to be recent, it's cool if it's some SNES or GBA game you thought of etc.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Any suggestions for "ant farm" style games for the iPhone? The kind of thing where you build up a community or something and the strategy is in the logistics and such rather than controlling individual guys. Some examples of PC games similar to what I'm looking for on iOS would be like Dwarf Fortress (it doesn't have to be anywhere near as complex though, I just mean in terms of overall feel), Banished, the Tycoon games, that sort of thing.

Some of the Kairosoft games fall into this genre but I've already played a bunch of them so I'm looking for a bit of a break from their specific style.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Any suggestions for "ant farm" style games for the iPhone? The kind of thing where you build up a community or something and the strategy is in the logistics and such rather than controlling individual guys. Some examples of PC games similar to what I'm looking for on iOS would be like Dwarf Fortress (it doesn't have to be anywhere near as complex though, I just mean in terms of overall feel), Banished, the Tycoon games, that sort of thing.

Some of the Kairosoft games fall into this genre but I've already played a bunch of them so I'm looking for a bit of a break from their specific style.

Tiny Death Star is very cute and fun.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
I'm looking for a particular kind of tower-defense/management game. I recently bought Kingdom: New Lands and really like the gameplay loop of building up and recruiting for your town, then defending it against periodic attacks. It also reminds me of Gnomoria where I had a ton of fun building out my town, constructing defenses, and then withstanding attacks that increased as time went on.

I'm looking for something similar to Kingdom: New Lands or Gnomoria where there's a concept of civilization/town management and defense of that location in some way. I really liked the concept of testing how long I could survive against wave after wave of attacks while attempting to recover during the day through resource management. Is there anything similar to those concepts that anyone has had luck with? They don't have to be exactly like Gnomoria or Kingdom, just similar enough.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
Which Tales Of game is the easiest to get into for a newcomer?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Tales of the Borderlands and Walking Dead Season 1 are the generally recommended games. Not quite sure what you mean by easiest as they all play basically the same.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 22, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Purple Monkey posted:

I've heard good things about Vesperia, but I've never played any of them.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I think the poster means the jprg series like Tales of the Abyss or Tales of Bersia. Both of which seem like good jumping in points.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Leper Residue posted:

I think the poster means the jprg series like Tales of the Abyss or Tales of Bersia. Both of which seem like good jumping in points.

Ah yeah, that makes more sense then.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Purple Monkey posted:

Tales of Symphonia I'd say, also my fav of the series by far. It has likable characters, cool fun straightforward plot, classic JRPG trappings, fun and relatively simple battle system. It's the FF7 of the series I'd say, if that makes sense.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

My girlfriend really likes games where she can design stuff. Specifically, she loves doing interior design in The Sims. She likes building houses and rooms with themes and cohesive styles. She's burning out on the sims because she says there aren't enough options and all her places are getting samey. I have no experience in this genre and it's the only one she likes, but has never explored outside of the sims. Any ideas? Pc is okay if it's a few years old (her laptop can barely run sims 4) and she also has an iPad.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fall-out 4 the settlement building poo poo shot is the main draw and she can do that for hours. Id also recommend banishes or stonehearth. Animal Crossing for the 3ds is rad as hell. Stardew valley is also pretty amazing.

Looking for a game that is like subnautica specifically open world survival in a weird environment. Preferably underwater because the movement options and poo poo shot for underwater stuff is dope af.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Fall-out 4 the settlement building poo poo shot is the main draw and she can do that for hours. Id also recommend banishes or stonehearth. Animal Crossing for the 3ds is rad as hell. Stardew valley is also pretty amazing.

Looking for a game that is like subnautica specifically open world survival in a weird environment. Preferably underwater because the movement options and poo poo shot for underwater stuff is dope af.

Underwater open world, definitely Endless Ocean. Underwater weird environment, go for Abzu. Open world survival, The Long Dark's your go to. Can't think of anything that fulfills all of your needs at once.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

You can make extremely pleasing houses in terraria

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

big cummers ONLY posted:

My girlfriend really likes games where she can design stuff. Specifically, she loves doing interior design in The Sims. She likes building houses and rooms with themes and cohesive styles. She's burning out on the sims because she says there aren't enough options and all her places are getting samey. I have no experience in this genre and it's the only one she likes, but has never explored outside of the sims. Any ideas? Pc is okay if it's a few years old (her laptop can barely run sims 4) and she also has an iPad.

Stardew Valley has a bunch of decoration options, which I am terrible at but it will definitely appeal to that interior designer sense. You also have a lot of control over the layout of your farm so you can really play with the aesthetics outdoors as well. It's a relatively new game but not demanding on hardware.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

big cummers ONLY posted:

if she's open up for similar but a bit different experiences, cities: skylines is a very low-entry bar city builder where you can spend hours upon hours building and prettifying roads/railways/...

Alternatively there's space colony

It places you in charge of a small space colony (fancy that) on an isolated planet, where you gather, process, and sell resources, complete missions, keep your colonists happy, and deal with whatever crises get thrown at you.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Awesome, I'll float them by her, I have a feeling she'll like stardew the most. Thanks!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ace of Seafood is described as "open-world Zone of the Enders but you're a hermit crab that can lauch Macross-style missle barrages."

This is dope af, y/n?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I was thinking about picking up a city simulator kind of game. It sounds like Cities: Skylines is the current favorite but I've heard criticisms that it's more of a traffic simulator than a city simulator and that it's a bit too easy. Some people seem to think SimCity 4 is still the best city sim out there especially since your citizens actually bother you with petitions and poo poo. Taking into account the expansions and ridiculous number of mods both of these games have now, which series would you recommend especially to someone new to city sims?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

HondaCivet posted:

I was thinking about picking up a city simulator kind of game. It sounds like Cities: Skylines is the current favorite but I've heard criticisms that it's more of a traffic simulator than a city simulator and that it's a bit too easy. Some people seem to think SimCity 4 is still the best city sim out there especially since your citizens actually bother you with petitions and poo poo. Taking into account the expansions and ridiculous number of mods both of these games have now, which series would you recommend especially to someone new to city sims?

SimCity 4 only runs windowed or in a maximum bullshit resolution of like 800x600, so if you want a building sim that actually looks like it was made this century (because it was), Cities:Skylines is pretty great.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

HondaCivet posted:

Grab both 4 and Skylines. They have different pros and cons and are both cheap as chips.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Grab both 4 and Skylines. They have different pros and cons and are both cheap as chips.

That's not a bad idea actually. Would one be better than the other for a beginner? Or would it not really matter?

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I'm looking for a game with two player online coop that has a lot of character customization and silly things to do. My friend and I have gone through a couple MMOs, the saints row games and we're part way through god eater 2, but we need something new. We were looking at Dead Rising 2, since it's pretty cheap and old enough to run on both of our computers without any issues, but we'd like to see if there is anything else out there before we buy it. Any suggestions?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

HondaCivet posted:

That's not a bad idea actually. Would one be better than the other for a beginner? Or would it not really matter?

They both present different challenges. Skills learned in one aren't really transferable to the other.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Stardew Valley has a bunch of decoration options, which I am terrible at but it will definitely appeal to that interior designer sense. You also have a lot of control over the layout of your farm so you can really play with the aesthetics outdoors as well. It's a relatively new game but not demanding on hardware.

Stardew does not even come remotely close to designing homes in a Sims game

Edit: it should also be noted that the house doesn't expand until you put a significant amount of time playing the game. I would estimate at least 10 hours, unless maybe you beeline directly for it

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 25, 2016

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Can someone recommend a game that plays well on a laptop (crappy onboard graphics) and preferably controls well with a controller?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tagichatn posted:

Can someone recommend a game that plays well on a laptop (crappy onboard graphics) and preferably controls well with a controller?

Spelunky

Honestly, there's a billion and one "retro-graphics metroidvania"s out there (including Out There Somewhere) that would run on my old Pentium III, so just put in "pixel graphics" as a search and pick whatever's highest rated.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 24, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I love Fortix 2, but Steam doesn't know how to point me to games similar to it.

So, thread: where do you draw lines across a map to capture it? Is Fortix 1 worth it?

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I like games like Banished and Folk Tale, where you build buildings and then assign people to them and slowly grow out a city. I'm not crazy about Banished's maps and lack of any sort of combat, and Folk Tale is too easy and the RPG stuff feels like a completely separate game. Anything else out there that might strike my fancy?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Hey guys, do you know of any modern-ish games that channel Escape Velocity: Nova?

I have played Space Pirates and Zombies and Rogue Galaxy. Anything else good in that vein?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Namaer posted:

I like games like Banished and Folk Tale, where you build buildings and then assign people to them and slowly grow out a city. I'm not crazy about Banished's maps and lack of any sort of combat, and Folk Tale is too easy and the RPG stuff feels like a completely separate game. Anything else out there that might strike my fancy?

I think RimWorld might be up your alley, has way more depth and opportunity to engage in combat with random events, but I didn't like the graphics/interface myself. Banished is one of my all time faves, mostly because of the aesthetics and the chill nature of it.

If you want a reskinned Banished with a bit more challenge/danger, I highly recommend Planetbase.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Tarquinn posted:

Hey guys, do you know of any modern-ish games that channel Escape Velocity: Nova?

I have played Space Pirates and Zombies and Rogue Galaxy. Anything else good in that vein?

Supposedly this free game on Steam, Endless Sky is a spiritual successor

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Loving Life Partner posted:

I think RimWorld might be up your alley, has way more depth and opportunity to engage in combat with random events, but I didn't like the graphics/interface myself. Banished is one of my all time faves, mostly because of the aesthetics and the chill nature of it.

If you want a reskinned Banished with a bit more challenge/danger, I highly recommend Planetbase.

I'll check those two out. My biggest complaint about Banished is that there's no combat and the stock game's maps have too many mountains that limit the width of your settlements, but I found a mod that let's you change the map types to things like an open plain .

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

But I wanted to spend money! :argh:

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Edit: Update; I had tried that already some time ago. It refuses to run on my PC for some reason. Any other suggestions?

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 29, 2016

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Tarquinn posted:

Buckle up, I've been looking for one of these for years. So here's your options:

Endless Space - If you don't mind the simple interface/story you can get a surprisingly deep game. All the standards here - I actually made a fortune as a trader, until I managed to get enough money for a decent warship.

Elite Dangerous - Haul cargo, mine asteroids, etc. But it is incredibly resource-intensive and has almost no story aside from what you personally make.

Galaxy On Fire 2 - Originally a mobile game, but still in the same vein as Nova. Trade, kill, explore.

X3 - So deep, definitely like EV:N except it is first-person. Has a learning wall though, not a curve.

Drifter - Early access, but it's shaping up to be exactly what we want.

Star Nomad 2 - Trade, fight, explore. Definitely like EV:N. I never got into it because I tried to play its mobile release, which was a mistake.

Space Rangers HD: A War Apart - Another good one. Not so much trading, but plenty of missioning and a deep world. Turn-based combat/travel, which is kind of neat.

Drox Operative - Top down space shooter, but with a good story and nice progression mechanics.

Void Expanse - Nominally multiplayer, but a fun shooter/trader/sim.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

Buckle up, I've been looking for one of these for years. So here's your options:

Endless Space - If you don't mind the simple interface/story you can get a surprisingly deep game. All the standards here - I actually made a fortune as a trader, until I managed to get enough money for a decent warship.

Elite Dangerous - Haul cargo, mine asteroids, etc. But it is incredibly resource-intensive and has almost no story aside from what you personally make.

Galaxy On Fire 2 - Originally a mobile game, but still in the same vein as Nova. Trade, kill, explore.

X3 - So deep, definitely like EV:N except it is first-person. Has a learning wall though, not a curve.

Drifter - Early access, but it's shaping up to be exactly what we want.

Star Nomad 2 - Trade, fight, explore. Definitely like EV:N. I never got into it because I tried to play its mobile release, which was a mistake.

Space Rangers HD: A War Apart - Another good one. Not so much trading, but plenty of missioning and a deep world. Turn-based combat/travel, which is kind of neat.

Drox Operative - Top down space shooter, but with a good story and nice progression mechanics.

Void Expanse - Nominally multiplayer, but a fun shooter/trader/sim.

Awesome! Thank you very much! I'll look into the ones I have not heard about before. :)

I've actually kickstarted Drifter and I am eagerly awaiting version 1.0.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Starsector http://fractalsoftworks.com/

Battlevoid Harbinger http://store.steampowered.com/app/396480/

These might also scratch your space itch.

Tanith fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Seconding Starsector. It is a good game, and while the update schedule is slow, it's consistently solid. There's also a really big modding scene for it, if you're into that.