Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Just as a reminder bioshock infinite still has a 94 on metacritic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Most sports games since the rise of the simulationist approach are incredibly obtuse for people who aren't already familiar with the sport and it's only been in the past few years that designers have gone back to thinking "Maybe we should try to be more user-friendly"

Yeah i have no idea how to play any major sports franchise anymore.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Are there even any other prolific fan-translations for stuff for the PC-98 other than the EVO prequel?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Quest For Glory II posted:

Just as a reminder bioshock infinite still has a 94 on metacritic

:eyepop:

hosed up if true.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I only tried Dark Souls once and didn't have a particularly good time. I'm willing to give it another shot, though!

I don't necessarily have an argument for or against having difficulty levels. It having a RE-like dynamic difficulty would be an ideal option.* I can appreciate why people want it to be more accessible, though. Honestly I find it kind of frustrating knowing people praise it as a marvel of videogame design that I'll probably never get to experience.

Difficulty levels are tough to get right. For example, Doom (original, not 2016) had very well crafted difficulty options. Compare that with Torchlight, where I found normal skill so easy that it felt really boring but the next level up was hard enough to be unenjoyable. Age of Empires' AI skill levels have the exact same problem.

* By this I meant ideal for me. I know a lot of Souls die-hards would really hate it.

Yessssss

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah i have no idea how to play any major sports franchise anymore.

Blades of Steel was supposed to be the "realistic" hockey game on the NES. None of that Nintendo Ice Hockey cartoon poo poo with this one. Even the name is gritty!

It was one of my favorite games for that system. I cannot imagine playing a modern hockey game at all. They stopped being enjoyable as they got more complicated, but big sports games nowadays tend to be more management sims anyway which really isn't my cup of tea.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 29, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Flying a lot for the holidays reminds me that I really wish I could find a mobile game I like.

Most action games I can't get into because I don't like action games with touch screen controls, so games like Downwell don't work for me. I'm not that into puzzle or rhythm games, and console RPG ports either have awkward controls or more dialog than I want in a mobile game.

I enjoy the gameplay of things like Terra Battle or Final Fantasy Brave Exvius, but the whole gachapon-style party building just kills it for me. I'd pay like $15-20 upfront for a version of Terra Battle stripped of gachapon stuff, for example.

I dunno. Is Lara Croft GO any good?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Harrow posted:

Flying a lot for the holidays reminds me that I really wish I could find a mobile game I like.

Most action games I can't get into because I don't like action games with touch screen controls, so games like Downwell don't work for me. I'm not that into puzzle or rhythm games, and console RPG ports either have awkward controls or more dialog than I want in a mobile game.

I enjoy the gameplay of things like Terra Battle or Final Fantasy Brave Exvius, but the whole gachapon-style party building just kills it for me. I'd pay like $15-20 upfront for a version of Terra Battle stripped of gachapon stuff, for example.

I dunno. Is Lara Croft GO any good?

The mobile port of Final Fantasy Tactics is fantastic if you're into strategy RPGs. I cannot comment on Lara Croft Go.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mak0rz posted:

I only tried Dark Souls once and didn't have a particularly good time. I'm willing to give it another shot, though!

You should do that, honestly. The first time I played Dark Souls I got some ways into it, then got stuck on something and dropped it. Much, much later (like, months) I went back to it and had a blast. I used to think the souls games were overrated but now I respect them even if I don't think they're the greatest games of all time like some people.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

The mobile port of Final Fantasy Tactics is fantastic if you're into strategy RPGs. I cannot comment on Lara Croft Go.

I love FFT so maybe that'd be a good one for me. If nothing else I think I'd find it translates better to mobile than other FFs.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I bought and played Demon's Souls way back before the Souls craze started. but I hardly got further than like ... the third or fourth level, and that was mostly just co-oping with an Internet friend and not really getting it

it took all the way until Bloodborne for me to get sucked into it and play it until I got it and I've gone back and played the rerelease of Dark Souls 2 and DS3 and it's got to be my favorite series now. sometimes you've got to just beat your head on something until it makes sense and if it doesn't, don't call it a bad game when it's a whole phenomenon.

e: also lol at needing someone to say "weapons don't work unless you equip them!"

I'm not saying it's a bad game, though, I've gone out of my way, several times, to say that I haven't meant that. :(

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i understand you biclops

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For what it's worth, I bounced off Dark Souls pretty hard when I first tried it. I came back a couple months later and loved it, but my first attempt ended like right after the Asylum, I just couldn't really get into it at all. So maybe now just isn't the right time for Bloodborne, or maybe it isn't your thing at all. Nothing wrong with putting it down and trying again later though.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
So I got Last Express during the Steam sale, and I am kinda floored by it. I think its incredible, I have never played a game that capture the feeling of bumbling your way through a situation that is way over your head as well as this. I guess Deja Vu kinda comes close, but it just feels typically adventure game puzzlely. The game just feels and looks so good, and rotoscoping is something I am always really into when it comes up in video games. I just love moving through the train, and eavesdropping on the random conversations people are having.

I mean sometimes its gets a bit frustrating when you are rushing through the cars, its very easy to accidentally get turn around, and sometimes it does feel like you are just waiting around for the pseudo real time clock to go down, but those are the only two things I can really find fault with it right now. I definitely feel like this is going to be one my favorite games when I complete it.

e: also i love the lesbian couple they are really cute

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Harrow posted:

For what it's worth, I bounced off Dark Souls pretty hard when I first tried it. I came back a couple months later and loved it, but my first attempt ended like right after the Asylum, I just couldn't really get into it at all. So maybe now just isn't the right time for Bloodborne, or maybe it isn't your thing at all. Nothing wrong with putting it down and trying again later though.

That's mostly my plan, and not even because I hit the wall running, I'm just really addicted to the Witcher 3

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

That's mostly my plan, and not even because I hit the wall running, I'm just really addicted to the Witcher 3

Totally rational thing to be addicted to. Witcher 3 is a super good game, to the point that I really couldn't disagree with all the GOTY awards it got even though Bloodborne is among my favorite games ever. If anything would beat Bloodborne in 2015, it's Witcher 3.

The first DLC, Hearts of Stone, is even better.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Snooze Cruise posted:

So I got Last Express during the Steam sale, and I am kinda floored by it. I think its incredible, I have never played a game that capture the feeling of bumbling your way through a situation that is way over your head as well as this. I guess Deja Vu kinda comes close, but it just feels typically adventure game puzzlely. The game just feels and looks so good, and rotoscoping is something I am always really into when it comes up in video games. I just love moving through the train, and eavesdropping on the random conversations people are having.

I mean sometimes its gets a bit frustrating when you are rushing through the cars, its very easy to accidentally get turn around, and sometimes it does feel like you are just waiting around for the pseudo real time clock to go down, but those are the only two things I can really find fault with it right now. I definitely feel like this is going to be one my favorite games when I complete it.

e: also i love the lesbian couple they are really cute

Last Express is incredible, really. It was a huge commercial failure at the time, though, which is why they never did a follow-up

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Mr E posted:

Season 2 kinda sucked rear end so I'm sure people are waiting to buy it for now.

Maybe I'm blinded by bias as a fan or my memory of playing Season 2 is bad, but what? :psyduck:

What made you think Season 2 sucked? I'm rewatching parts of it on YouTube and it's just as emotionally gripping as I remember it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Season 2 is awful and season 3 starts off by killing everyone who might have survived s2, TT have made like two good games since they gave up making real adventure games.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

corn in the bible posted:

Last Express is incredible, really. It was a huge commercial failure at the time, though, which is why they never did a follow-up

I mean I am not surprised, historical fiction game that isn't a war or knights is going to be a hard sell, but that is such a shame. Especially since so many blockbuster games aim for cinematic, and this manages to capture that more than any of those games without using setpieces or crazy cutscenes.

This game just ticks so many boxes for me. Intrigue and plots, murder mysteries, and things set on a train. I don't really like trains, but I always love it when something is set on a train for some reason.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Last Express sounded interesting to me but everything being on a timer always puts me off.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sakurazuka posted:

Season 2 is awful and season 3 starts off by killing everyone who might have survived s2, TT have made like two good games since they gave up making real adventure games.

I can think of 4. Walking Dead Season 1, Tales from the Borderlands, Wolf Among Us and Batman, and I've not played Minecraft.

4/5 of 9 isn't a bad hit rate.

EDIT: I suppose it depends when you want to start counting from I started counting at Walking Dead Season 1, because that's when the current Telltale format solidified, you could start 2 games earlier, but still that's a relatively good hit rate in their recent output.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 29, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Last Express sounded interesting to me but everything being on a timer always puts me off.

it really wouldnt work if it wasn't real-time, you know. though if you get a game over it rewinds to when you last could still win

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

corn in the bible posted:

it really wouldnt work if it wasn't real-time, you know. though if you get a game over it rewinds to when you last could still win

Well no one ever told me that did they

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dark Souls games should have optional quest markers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark Souls should have an optional mode where you bring in Dante (from Devil May Cry(tm)) and gain the ability ti ridiculously style on enemies with an electric guitar.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

I can think of 4. Walking Dead Season 1, Tales from the Borderlands, Wolf Among Us and Batman
lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

Dark Souls should have an optional mode where you bring in Dante (from Devil May Cry(tm)) and gain the ability ti ridiculously style on enemies with an electric guitar.

This is the first change I've agreed with so far

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Macaluso posted:

I haven't even played any Souls games, I've watched a hundred Bloodborne playthroughs, that's it. So I don't even have a dog in this fight with regards to Souls games, but giving people more options is never a bad thing.

This is only true if you assume that giving people more options costs the developers nothing, which is untrue. Every feature added to a game takes some amount of time and money, requires testing to make sure it isn't a broken piece of poo poo, etc. Adding a difficulty selector that just scales enemy HP and damage down would be easy, but it's also the worst way to do it, and leads to scenarios where people bitch about how the easy mode is like too easy and can't they put something in-between, or how easy mode makes some parts of the game too easy or hard, and classic goon canard "why even put it in the game if they aren't going to do it right?"

Perfect example, the guy complaining about the bad KB+M controls: it isn't a KB+M game. It was never intended to be, it's a controller game. They implemented that feature, just like they designed a PC port at all, because people wanted it. End result? The KB+M controls are awkward and the PC version runs badly and needs mods to work, because the whole thing was an afterthought.

Ultimately it boils down to whether you think it's acceptable and okay for game developers to make games that aren't "for" everyone. Dark Souls wasn't for people who only play games with a keyboard, and if you don't like games that are obtuse, don't like dying over and over, don't like getting lost and stumbling onto cool poo poo... you don't like Dark Souls. That's fine! People have different tastes, but I also respect the right of From to make a game that conveys what they want it to convey, and Dark Souls with an "easy mode" that allows you to skate by not understanding the combat or the game's systems is no longer the same game. It fundamentally changes the game into something else. I want to play more games that have creative visions and are non-homogenous, not less.

This is long and dumb tho. If From wants to put difficulty in a new one if they ever make one, that's their prerogative too, and I have enough faith in them to assume they'd do it okay. I just think giving people an easy mode in Dark Souls and Bloodborne is handing them a compromised version of the game, and I'm not sure whether that's better than them just accepting that there's a million good games out there that they might like more.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Haha yeah dark souls sure is crazy huh

But what ever happened to Deep Down, the dark souls of capcom games?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I enjoyed it. The last episode was undenably a utter mess engine-wise, but it worked as a story and did a better job accounting for your choices than many of the recent Telltale games.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why do the Telltale games run so badly anyway (on PS3/4 at least)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i always end up making the same choice in every telltale game, which is not to play them

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Why do the Telltale games run so badly anyway (on PS3/4 at least)

They run badly on everything. They have a poo poo engine that their either don't want or can't afford to update.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ImpAtom posted:

They run badly on everything. They have a poo poo engine that their either don't want or can't afford to update.

And every game they claim they've updated their engine, and it's always just as bad.

It's basically the Bethesda situation.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think telling people they're not good enough to play your game is worse than any "compromising" on the game the developers would have to do.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Sakurazuka posted:

Well no one ever told me that did they

You can actually rewind whenever, its pretty neat, though if you rewind way back and make a different choice you can't fast forward back of course, so you are force to wait in real time for the part you were at.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

I think telling people they're not good enough to play your game is worse than any "compromising" on the game the developers would have to do.

Why? Do you think every game should be playable for every person? Would you tell, for example, a simulator that they should dial down the realism because not everyone enjoying micromanagement or that fighting games should simplify their mechanics because it's too intimidating. It is okay for a game not to target everyone at the same time and instead know their audience.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

chumbler posted:

But no one is saying that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

chumbler posted:

I'm gonna make a game called 'No chumblers Allowed'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

MMF Freeway posted:

Haha yeah dark souls sure is crazy huh

But what ever happened to Deep Down, the dark souls of capcom games?

Isn't that canceled? I mean haven't heard a peep from it at all.

• Locked thread