Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

panascope posted:

I'd never really played a Final Fantasy before but I got a Raspberry Pi for Christmas and decided to try one, and I'm totally hooked on Final Fantasy III for the SNES (which is apparnetly VI?). It's like being a kid again, I haven't been hooked on a video game in a while.

You chose a good start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
The collection will not exist in any form anything like what the rumor described, because S-E just don't do that. They make the newest version of a game their standard for remakes until either they add onto that one and make that the standard, or Nintendo asks them to put one on Virtual Console.

I will happily take on some dumb as gently caress FF-themed punishment challenge for being wrong, but I can't think of one. 100% run of XIII-2? Finish the IIImake? I am open to suggestions, largely because they won't matter.

My ideal FF tribute game would be a Record Keeper sort of highly-variable party with less homogenity between reps. Have people from different games play differently to reflect their game's mechanics. IV reps are awesome at what they do, but have no customization; II reps can get really good at things but you need to focus them or they just won't advance like that; VI reps have great individual gimmicks, but you need to go out of your way to give them even bread-and-butter magic. So you're picking your party not just because of who you like as characters (or worse, who you randomly have good equipment for), but because they play and advance like how their game played.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I do like it a lot but often I only say that FF 10 is my favourite to avoid the 'your first one is always the one you like most' cliche but it's 6, 6 is my favourite and also the first one I played.

Uh, unless you count Mystic Quest.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

panascope posted:

I'd never really played a Final Fantasy before but I got a Raspberry Pi for Christmas and decided to try one, and I'm totally hooked on Final Fantasy III for the SNES (which is apparnetly VI?). It's like being a kid again, I haven't been hooked on a video game in a while.

Welcome to the good life, my friend. For reference, Final Fantasy II and III on the SNES are actually IV and VI. The US didn't get 2, 3, or 5 back then. When VII came out on Playstation, they made things right. But the confusion has never really gone away.

Then they made Kingdom Hearts and everything went to hell.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cleretic posted:

The collection will not exist in any form anything like what the rumor described, because S-E just don't do that. They make the newest version of a game their standard for remakes until either they add onto that one and make that the standard, or Nintendo asks them to put one on Virtual Console.
I will admit I didn't read the Collection rumors fully, is it NOT supposed to be the most recent remake of everything?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Mystic Quest has great adventure feel. All the locations are memorable and the quest is clear. It may not have the depth or polish of other FF games, but it does what it does well. I loved it as a kid, and I totally get why.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

One of the great things about Mystic Quest is that it makes you really want to find out what the next big boss is. It has cool sprite work, and it really hooks you when the first major boss is a huge fossilized dinosaur. When I was a kid, I really wanted to find out what the next big elemental boss was. And the last boss is really memorable. You don't know who he is or why he's there, but who cares? Evil demon space king! Then he's snakes! Then he's a spider! Everything about it is designed for kids to like.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I will admit I didn't read the Collection rumors fully, is it NOT supposed to be the most recent remake of everything?

From what I read, it's supposed to have versions of the games where that would matter, including the first-ever official English translations of the original NES versions of II and III.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

One of the great things about Mystic Quest is that it makes you really want to find out what the next big boss is. It has cool sprite work, and it really hooks you when the first major boss is a huge fossilized dinosaur. When I was a kid, I really wanted to find out what the next big elemental boss was. And the last boss is really memorable. You don't know who he is or why he's there, but who cares? Evil demon space king! Then he's snakes! Then he's a spider! Everything about it is designed for kids to like.

Also the music owns.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

CeallaSo posted:

From what I read, it's supposed to have versions of the games where that would matter, including the first-ever official English translations of the original NES versions of II and III.

Which is already improbable because S-E's borderline-ashamed of the barely-functional NES originals and have way better, up-to-date versions. I don't know where the SNES ones would land, but there's similar problems there, especially with V.

Also, no way would they re-release and improve the original of VII with the remake on the way.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Mystic Quest was also easier and more accessible than 4 and 6. The final dungeon of 4 was the hardest thing as a kid but the final boss of MQ took a couple tries and just throwing your strongest attacks while healing your guys up. No grinding or anything.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bloodychill posted:

Mystic Quest was also easier and more accessible than 4 and 6. The final dungeon of 4 was the hardest thing as a kid but the final boss of MQ took a couple tries and just throwing your strongest attacks while healing your guys up. No grinding or anything.
Actually, you have to throw your strongest heals on the boss.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Also, no way would they re-release and improve the original of VII with the remake on the way.

They already did that on PS4, but has SE still not confirmed it?

A FF collection hoax would be SO 2016.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

But not too strong of a heal that you overflow twice.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

FactsAreUseless posted:

Actually, you have to throw your strongest heals on the boss.

The evil space spider king would be undead wouldn't he?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

bloodychill posted:

The evil space spider king would be undead wouldn't he?

Nah, good old-fashioned integer overflow.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The Kefka fight on the Narshe Cliffs is hard when you've paired Celes with Gau. I ended up having to use Cyan's Quad-Combo Swordtech to kill him.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

mystic quest would have been a good imprint to do like action-rpg spinoffs or remakes but i guess theyre all action-rpgs now anyways

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
WoFF's Coliseum is run by a Tonberry with a silky baritone voice, where has this game been all my life

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

WoFF's Coliseum is run by a Tonberry with a silky baritone voice, where has this game been all my life

Just wait until you do his intervention :)

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Just wait until you do his intervention :)

That was a great scene

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Can't talk about it without linking it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tOeGyejGA8

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is there any reason I should not buy the PC port of 3 other than it is a bad game

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Oxxidation posted:

That's not just any baritone, that's Urdnot Wrex's baritone

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Captain Baal posted:

Is there any reason I should not buy the PC port of 3 other than it is a bad game

I guess not, it's adds an autosave which at least makes it not as much of a slog as the DS version.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Grozz Nuy posted:

That's not just any baritone, that's Urdnot Wrex's :swoon:~Joji Nakata's~:swoon: baritone

I play with english voices, but I almost want to do JP voices just for Tonberry

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Sakurazuka posted:

I do like it a lot but often I only say that FF 10 is my favourite to avoid the 'your first one is always the one you like most' cliche but it's 6, 6 is my favourite and also the first one I played.

You're right, MQ is the best FF. :colbert:

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Has anyone here tried any of the difficulty mods for FFVII PC? I'm looking for something that requires more thought put into combat and materia setups than just spamming attack/enemy skills without going overboard and becoming a tedious grindfest. Do any of them fit that bill?

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
My understanding is that final fantasy tactics 1.3 is good and I should play it.

What is not even slightly clear to me is how to actually do this, and I've not been able to Google up a coherent guide that covers the systems you can do this on, what to buy, and a guide on how to get the mod and get it installed.

I own a Vita, but I can buy a PSP or whatever if I need to.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cyclomatic posted:

My understanding is that final fantasy tactics 1.3 is good and I should play it.

It's not.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Traxis posted:

Has anyone here tried any of the difficulty mods for FFVII PC? I'm looking for something that requires more thought put into combat and materia setups than just spamming attack/enemy skills without going overboard and becoming a tedious grindfest. Do any of them fit that bill?

A New Threat is pretty okay.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cyclomatic posted:

This is the opposite of true, unless you like impossible, unwinnable battles and possess a knowledge of game mechanic minutia that would make a wiki blush.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cyclomatic posted:

What is not even slightly clear to me is how to actually do this, and I've not been able to Google up a coherent guide that covers the systems you can do this on, what to buy, and a guide on how to get the mod and get it installed.

I own a Vita, but I can buy a PSP or whatever if I need to.

It really isn't unless you are an extreme minmaxer who only wants to play that way.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
As an avowed lover of FFT and someone that has tried pretty much every mod out there to squeeze life out of the game, 1.3 is absolute garbage that even someone like me who knows all of the tricks despises.

The two difficulty mods I would recommend are Complete and LFT, with a stronger nod to LFT; LFT isn't any more difficult than Complete, per se, but is a more extensive overhaul that I ultimately had a lot more fun with.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

As far as I know, FFT 1.3 can only be played via emulator. You can find the patch itself at insanedifficulty.com, which should tell you what to expect from the mod. I'm guessing instructions are somewhere in there, or at ffhacktics.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Isn't there a 1.3 content-but-not-difficulty patch that the creator begrudgingly made after enough people begged for it? I never touched 1.3 but maybe that could be playable.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Isn't there a 1.3 content-but-not-difficulty patch that the creator begrudgingly made after enough people begged for it? I never touched 1.3 but maybe that could be playable.
The easytype patch is still punishingly hard.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Coughing Hobo posted:

As an avowed lover of FFT and someone that has tried pretty much every mod out there to squeeze life out of the game, 1.3 is absolute garbage that even someone like me who knows all of the tricks despises.

The two difficulty mods I would recommend are Complete and LFT, with a stronger nod to LFT; LFT isn't any more difficult than Complete, per se, but is a more extensive overhaul that I ultimately had a lot more fun with.

I looked LFT up and it actually seems pretty interesting so maybe I will give it a shot. It's been a while since I played FFT anyway.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The easytype patch is still punishingly hard.
Is it just because the AI actually knows how to use its new toys, or are there underlying differences?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Because 1.3, easytype or no, is built from a standpoint of having perfect knowledge and execution/exploitation of game mechanics.