Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah but, why not just make well designed encounters instead of relying on tacking bigger numbers to everything?

Enemies are made of paper and now have better use of their abilities for just that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah but, why not just make well designed encounters instead of relying on tacking bigger numbers to everything?
So your solution is a game that has a billion bespoke encounters?

And you think it's "lazy" not to do that?

You have a very limited idea of what "game design" is, and a really limited imagination. That sounds inflammatory but you're either being disingenuous, haven't thought the whole thing through (you can't understand why somebody would want to replay parts of a game they find fun while getting progressive rewards at the same time?), or you're incapable of imagining things beyond your own experiences and preferences.

While we're at it, find a better way of articulating your grievance instead of using the word "lazy."

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

For honor is always online but mp matches are hosted p2p. Its gonna be a train wreck

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

lol I have a limited imagination for not liking loot games. That's loving rich.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

For honor is always online but mp matches are hosted p2p. Its gonna be a train wreck

??????

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://gamerant.com/for-honor-multiplayer-no-dedicated-servers/

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

veni veni veni posted:

lol I have a limited imagination for not liking loot games. That's loving rich.

Well it's more that you're apparently incapable of acknowledging anything other than the loot mechanics in games with loot systems.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You're hosed because it's always gonna try to connect to some rear end in a top hat on the other side of the earth with an isdn line hooked up

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yuck

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Source engine is a fork of the original Quake engine isn't it

Late reply but a short explanation is:

GoldSrc (Half-Life 1) was based on Quake 1 engine with some Quake 2 stuff. Source engine (Half-Life 2) still has Quake stuff in it. In fact, in 2016 you can still find code from Quake 3 engine in a bunch of games (like the last Call of Duty game).

This is posted from time to time on Steam thread but you can add Doom 2016 (IdTech 6) coming from Rage's IdTech 5.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just started Last Guardian. Can't believe it's out. Crazy

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
For someone who only played the division during the beta, will I struggle if I jump straight into the survival mode?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

poptart_fairy posted:

Well it's more that you're apparently incapable of acknowledging anything other than the loot mechanics in games with loot systems.
Like, is Dark Souls an example of "lazy game design" because there's RNG drop rates and NG+ and beyond largely just makes the enemy numbers bigger, which lets you make your numbers bigger?

Or is it just games that have loot that can roll with random/procedural stats/attributes that are lazy, like Borderlands or Diablo? If so, why?

Is Destiny more or less lazy than The Division? When the loot systems in those games got "better" was that because the developers decided to stop being lazy, or is the laziness something that can't be patched away?

You made half a point and are either too lazy or dumb to articulate anything worthwhile.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Lately I've been having some weird problems with my DS4 controller. As best I can tell, it seems to be activating phantom presses of L3 when i'm just pressing the analog stick in a direction. It may be doing more than that, but I can't really tell.

It's most apparent when I'm playing NHL '16, and my guys will just start randomly doing non-stop spin moves or only skating backwards no matter which direction I'm skating or other weird poo poo like that (and I'm not even playing as the Leafs! :v: )

I've done some googling, and found something that the CoD crowd calls the L3 Sprint Glitch, which sounds more like a controller defect than a glitch, and also may or may not be what I'm experiencing.

Has anyone else run into a problem like this, and is there any fix that doesn't involve ordering special tools and lubricants to open up my controller and spray in there and it might not even fix the problem anyway? I'm perfectly happy to send the controller in to Sony to repair, but if the cost of that will be the same as buying a new controller, then it's probably better to just do that, as much as it pains me to have to replace a not-even-2-year-old rarely used controller.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You are a grade A idiot Akuma. I said why I didn't like them and that it's fine if other people do. Obviously I'm not referring to dark souls when I'm talking about loot games.

If you like doing the same thing 1000 times in destiny I'm not here to stop you.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
If your argument about FPS games immediately becomes "You are stupid and by the way Dark Souls is bad" then people are going to think well, this guy is going to have some good points to make, for sure. We could probably talk for a fair bit about what kind of variety is satisfying and what makes for an underwhelming weapon, or we could just not bother and call each other slurs as is tradition of our video game people.

Edit:

OldSenileGuy posted:

Lately I've been having some weird problems with my DS4 controller. As best I can tell, it seems to be activating phantom presses of L3 when i'm just pressing the analog stick in a direction. It may be doing more than that, but I can't really tell.

I have this problem in Rocket League where the R3/L3 seem to activate when I move the sticks sometimes, but from what others have said it's just me being heavy-handed. Does it happen all the time, or just occasionally? You can actually plug it into a PC, get a diagnostics/mapping program, hammer on the buttons and see what's triggering when.

TheDarkFlame fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 29, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What? Who doesn't like dark souls?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

What? Who doesn't like dark souls?

I know a guy......

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

ethanol posted:

I know a guy......

I'll kill them

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Filthee Fingas posted:

For someone who only played the division during the beta, will I struggle if I jump straight into the survival mode?

Nope. It's its own mode with no persistence. You earn loot boxes for the main game.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Obviously I'm not referring to dark souls when I'm talking about loot games.
What do you think NG+ and beyond is in those games if it's not enemy hit points and damage getting bigger which results in your XP gains getting bigger which lets your level (and your own numbers) get bigger so you can do more NG+ cycles?

Why can't they just design more encounters instead of just making the numbers bigger? Because it's a way of giving players more game to play.

Here's something you may not know about Destiny: if you buy it today, with all the DLC, you never have to replay anything to get to the first of the natural soft caps on gear level. There's enough content in that game to let you play through the quests and missions and do all of it (even the raids) without replaying anything, doing dailies or weeklies or anything. You get drops and they're better than what you have often enough that you discard the poo poo you don't want/need and keep playing new content until you get something better.

Then when you've done it all, or you hit the last raid and want to be better geared for it, you can start replaying or doing dailies/weeklies. You can hit max level and keep playing because the game is fun to play, or just stop if the repetition is boring.

This wasn't the case at launch or during the first year, or even a lot of the second, because the loot system evolved over time to, frankly, better respect the player's time.

The genre isn't inherently "trash" because there's a loot system with procedural stats and attributes on gear, different games can have wildly different systems. In Destiny any gun beyond the rare tier has fixed stats, but the perks are rolled from a pool. Beyond legendary there's no randomness at all. What is always procedural is the overall level. Other games don't use anything like this system.

If you wanted to play Destiny as a co-op shooter and stop at the end of the unique content you absolutely could, and you'd get dozens of hours out of it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Plate armor doesn't have boobs. I think they misunderstand why it's called a breastplate!

Do people actually like these figurines? It seems like every time I read about them they end up being low-quality pieces of junk with 1/10th the detail they show in the promo pictures. I'm a sucker for steel book versions of games myself, so I can't I can't really say anything. I'm just curious of there is a big enough audience for these things.

The Persona 5 Collector's Edition is only 90 dollars. 72 if you have Prime. I think it may be worth it alone for the soundtrack and art book.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Trillest Parrot posted:

Can I still play Overwatch for fun without worrying about meta and balance?

No, you may only play for the gay

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
PS golds still the go to "best" headset for the Ps4? Amazon/target have them for 69.99$. I see the platinums are coming out soon but I don't know how badly I want to spend 100$ more..

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
They're very comfortable, have good enough sound quality, and the microphone seems to work well.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Your hinges will probably break in about 6 months but I just taped mine up and they still work and feel fine. I really only use them anymore to play Miku since my roommate hates fun.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Guillermus posted:

Late reply but a short explanation is:

GoldSrc (Half-Life 1) was based on Quake 1 engine with some Quake 2 stuff. Source engine (Half-Life 2) still has Quake stuff in it. In fact, in 2016 you can still find code from Quake 3 engine in a bunch of games (like the last Call of Duty game).

This is posted from time to time on Steam thread but you can add Doom 2016 (IdTech 6) coming from Rage's IdTech 5.

It's neat that you can now trace a line from Quake to Dota

revolther
May 27, 2008
If I hated destiny, there's zero chance I'll enjoy the division, right?

My brain sees the same game, but some idiot part thinks otherwise.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

revolther posted:

Correct, it is a VERY similar game that takes place on earth rather than in space.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

They're structurally kind of similar but The Division is more "open world"y and is a third person modern military cover shooter, where Destiny is a space magic fantastical first person shooter.

They don't play the same at all. If you like modern military stuff and cover based third person shooters then you might like The Division. If you like open world games on top of that that's another layer that might make you like it more.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

revolther posted:

I wouldn't say a zero chance, depending on what you hated about Destiny. Most of the similarities they share tend to be positives for me. They both have really engaging moment to moment gameplay and a nice feel to the guns. They both have an interesting looking world to explore. They both have good synergy between the classes/skills.

e: sorry what I meant to say was they're currently in court after Bungie sent a C&D to Ubisoft Massive for damaging the brand with a total copycat game

FadedReality fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 29, 2016

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I personally disagree about gun feel in The Division, it feels like it takes a lot longer to get to the point where your guns don't feel like garbage - if that even happens at all because I stopped before reaching that. Everybody feels like a bullet sponge and your guns seem very inaccurate.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

revolther posted:

the division beta was more interesting than the entirety of vanilla destiny so it probably depends on what you didn't like about the game

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah, the Division isn't really a shooter the way Destiny is, which really hurt it in my opinion. If Destiny wasn't a mechanically perfect and satisfying shooter, the looty bits themselves would not have kept me playing the game. I did keep playing the Division a little more and finally got some decent weapons between levels 5-10 but it's still not really a shooter.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the division is absolutely a shooter. it's just a) in third person, which some might not enjoy as much as a first person shooter, and b) not as good at it as destiny is

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Akuma posted:

I personally disagree about gun feel in The Division, it feels like it takes a lot longer to get to the point where your guns don't feel like garbage - if that even happens at all because I stopped before reaching that. Everybody feels like a bullet sponge and your guns seem very inaccurate.

Petty arguments aside, this is partially what I was originally talking about. Specifically I think the division would have been better as a standard co op shooter and the loot aspect only dragged it down.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Current Division is quite a bit different than release Division. For one enemies aren't nearly as bullet-spongy as they used to be. Most dudes will die in the span of a single magazine if you have good weapons. Secondly, the game rains loot down on you now so it's not hard to geared. It's really a matter of getting the right gear sets to suit your playstyle, but that's when you get into the min-maxing at the highest level. It has some great atmosphere and it's a fun game to just explore around in.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Petty arguments aside, this is partially what I was originally talking about. Specifically I think the division would have been better as a standard co op shooter and the loot aspect only dragged it down.
Hmmm, that's a point of view I could definitely entertain! I do see what you mean, there.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

hamsystem posted:

Current Division is quite a bit different than release Division. For one enemies aren't nearly as bullet-spongy as they used to be. Most dudes will die in the span of a single magazine if you have good weapons. Secondly, the game rains loot down on you now so it's not hard to geared. It's really a matter of getting the right gear sets to suit your playstyle, but that's when you get into the min-maxing at the highest level. It has some great atmosphere and it's a fun game to just explore around in.

Yeah the 1.4 patch was similar to Diablo 3's 2.0 patch in that it fixed almost everything that kept me from playing more of the game. It's also similar to Diablo 3 in that it's going to take forever for people to stop talking about the issues it used to have as a current representation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah, The Division is a game where you can call the enemies bullet sponges and be accurate about it. There's like one class of rifle that will let you get single-headshot kills on normal enemies, otherwise everyone can take loads of ammo, and even more if you are running co-op.

Also it has weak melee options so it automatically feels bad to me already. The best thing was getting a crazy SMG that dumped its mag in half a second, so I would just run up on people and BRRAP, that was rad

That said I enjoyed playing through the campaign as an open world Ubi game

• Locked thread