Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It never got an official 'it's cancelled' but I think it's been at least a couple of years since Capcom last mentioned it.
Going by recent trends it might end up being a PS5 launch title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If Nioh and Last Guardian can come out I believe in Deep Down

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Shindragon posted:

Isn't that canceled? I mean haven't heard a peep from it at all.

They extended its trademark for the fifth time a few months ago

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

They run badly on everything. They have a poo poo engine that their either don't want or can't afford to update.

Batman runs noticeably better than their other games. Actually so did Tales From the Borderlands.

But woof, Game of Thrones ran like hot buttered rear end

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

lets hang out posted:

They extended its trademark for the fifth time a few months ago

This costs effectively nothing so there's no reason not to do it even if the project is completely stalled.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

precision posted:

Dark Souls games should have optional quest markers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

You joke, but I would be fine with that.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

precision posted:

No. Keep that poo poo out.

We can make a compromise. Dark Souls needing a loving map.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, if the games just had an automap feature (as in, it only shows where you've already been) it would be perfect.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

precision posted:

Shindragon posted:

No. Keep that poo poo out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I ended up drawing a map for the Forbidden Woods in Bloodborne. Every other area I eventually knew by heart

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Lol but also eww

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
A non-mini map would be fine. Especially if it was just like, a non-interactive hand-drawn looking thing that showed the layout of places you'd been.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

They should put in a button that loads up the hottest lps from youtube for people who can't muster the interest to play the game they paid for

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

lets hang out posted:

They should put in a button that loads up the hottest lps from youtube for people who can't muster the interest to play the game they paid for

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This is what Dark Souls maps look like

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

chumbler posted:

I think telling people they're not good enough to play your game is worse than any "compromising" on the game the developers would have to do.

what if its the greatest game in the world, but no human can beat it and its only playable by AIs and you have to watch different AIs do silent lets plays of it.

...someone do this it would be kinda neat

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I ended up drawing a map for the Forbidden Woods in Bloodborne. Every other area I eventually knew by heart

Yeah I do fine keeping a mental image of where I'm at in cities or industrial areas or the like but as soon as I get to a natural area that's wooded or hilly I'm straight hosed for positional awareness

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

what if its the greatest game in the world, but no human can beat it and its only playable by AIs and you have to watch different AIs do silent lets plays of it.

...someone do this it would be kinda neat

There are probably some lovely Kaizo Mario romhack things that are like that.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Just bought a headset and created a twitch channel for my PS4. I really, really like this console. It's the 500GB slim. It looks aesthetically lush, but the UI is really, really nice to use. Glad I waited on getting one!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

There's probably plenty of romhacks that are only completable by frame-level tool assistance stuff but I guess that's not the same as an AI doing it

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jay Rust posted:

This is what Dark Souls maps look like

I like how a lot of work must have went into making it but it's still hilariously useless. Like imagine trying to navigate with that. It's less work to just figure it all out yourself and just lookup a basic description for things you can't find. Like the words "Ring of Steel Protection: in corner of first room before stairs" is 100x more useful than trying to find something on this map. Just lol.

And for the rare item that is just super obscure or hard to describe you'll still have better luck with a 15 second raw-footage youtube video than this ridiculous thing. Just lol.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 29, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its not the same, it has to be like an original game with a story and stuff with different throughout that different AIs could stumble upon, so you have to watch different LPs to see the whole game.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
If dark souls had a map I imagine it would be in the style of metroid prime

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

hope this is a decent thread to post this!

My fiance and I are looking to buy either a PS4 or an Xbox One and could use some advice on which to buy. I lean toward the latter, my fiance the former. Given that I haven’t purchased a system since 2001 when I bought a PS2, I could use some help.

I’ll try to be as brief as possible…

• I do not give a poo poo about most of the exclusive games either system has. Shooters are dumb and are for manchildren. VR is dumb, too, I have no interest. Not really interested in Kinect and whatever the Sony equivalent to it is.
  • Right now we play games on Steam, which is why I lean toward Xbox One. Can we play Steam games directly on the Xbox One, or is the only advantage that we can use the controller to play steam games (and emulated games)?
  • We play games on steam on her computer but it has difficulty playing most games. (She is getting a new laptop soon.) She likes to watch me play horror games like Amnesia, Outlast, and Layers of Fear. Though I haven’t played much of anything recently, I like a lot of dumb retro indie games on Steam like Braid, Rochard, Ori and the Blind Forest, Trine etc. I also like Zelda-esque adventure games; those are cool. I’m a big Portal fan as well. Are a lot of steam games like the ones above available for download on Xbox and PS4’s marketplaces?
  • We don’t have a blu-ray player, but we definitely would play blu-ray movies if we had the chance.
  • We have a (new) Apple TV for our multimedia needs.

Not sure it would make a difference if we got either one. I almost think just getting a better computer is the best option, but I really loving hate the effort of hooking up my laptop, booting up everything etc. I want a console. My fiance is getting a new laptop so we’ll probably end up doing both.

Gio fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 29, 2016

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

precision posted:

That image is an exaggeration, yeah, but I do agree that games need some way to assist you getting your bearings and reminding you what you're supposed to be doing. Obviously not so in-your-face as that image or the worst of modern games, but you can't always play games in long, unbroken or back-to-back sessions and if you end up putting something down for more than a few days you aren't going to have it all in working memory when you pick it back up.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

A game where every door asks you to take the square root of very large numbers to click on a specific pixel in a grid of 1,000,000 would be near-impossible for humans but trivial for computers

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

A game where every door asks you to take the square root of very large numbers to click on a specific pixel in a grid of 1,000,000 would be near-impossible for humans but trivial for computers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uctSLAEcGIE

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Gio posted:

My fiance and I are looking to buy either a PS4 or an Xbox One and could use some advice on which to buy. I lean toward the latter, my fiance the former. Given that I haven’t purchased a system since 2001 when I bought a PS2, I could use some help.

• I do not give a poo poo about most of the exclusive games either system has. Shooters are dumb and are for manchildren. VR is dumb, too, I have no interest. Not really interested in Kinect and whatever the Sony equivalent to it is.
  • Right now we play games on Steam, which is why I lean toward Xbox One. Can we play Steam games directly on the Xbox One, or is the only advantage that we can use the controller to play steam games (and emulated games)?
  • We play games on steam on her computer but it has difficulty playing most games. (She is getting a new laptop soon.) She likes to watch me play horror games like Amnesia, Outlast, and Layers of Fear. Though I haven’t played much of anything recently, I like a lot of dumb retro indie games on Steam like Braid, Rochard, Ori and the Blind Forest, Trine etc. I also like Zelda-esque adventure games; those are cool. I’m a big Portal fan as well. Are a lot of steam games like the ones above available for download on Xbox and PS4’s marketplaces?
  • We don’t have a blu-ray player, but we definitely would play blu-ray movies if we had the chance.

Not sure it would make a difference if we got either one. I almost think just getting a better computer is the best option, but I really loving hate the effort of hooking up my laptop, booting up everything etc. I want a console. My fiance is getting a new laptop so we’ll probably end up doing both.

You cannot play Steam games on the Xbox or PS4. PS4 will have more "retro indie" games, and it also has a good exclusive horror game in Until Dawn.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

If Nioh and Last Guardian can come out I believe in Deep Down

I can't decide if Nioh is gonna be worth it or not if i don't like the souls games. Probably not?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Can I force Steam to scan for a moved game without it thinking it needs to re-download? I moved Doom to my SSD, and when I hit install to have it discover local files, it just pops up the window saying "not enough space" (I've got 45GB free, game takes up about 80). The files are there already, just scan them!

I could just delete the game and have the whole thing re-download, but I really don't wanna do that for obvious reasons. Freeing up enough space isn't really an option, I have like 5GB worth of other games on it and the only other bulky thing on the drive is Solidworks, which I use regularly and takes about five whole minutes to load from a HDD.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

precision posted:

But woof, Game of Thrones ran like hot buttered rear end

And, lets not forget, was actively a bad game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Loose Ifer posted:

I can't decide if Nioh is gonna be worth it or not if i don't like the souls games. Probably not?

Probably not, it's closer to something like Onimusha or Ninja Gaiden in style but structured very much like a Souls game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CottonWolf posted:

And, lets not forget, was actively a bad game.

And often forgot to be a game. I lost count of how many times the game gave me control over a character and literally all I could do was walk (or limp) ten feet to the next cutscene.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You cannot play Steam games on the Xbox or PS4. PS4 will have more "retro indie" games

And often, PS+ gets a lot of those cross-platform indie games for free. For example, Invisible Inc. is free right now.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The only reason to get a Xbox one over a ps4 is if you have Xbox friends you want to play with or you really want to play Rare Replay.

I'm not sure about playing blurays though. The new ps4 pro can't play them and I think they might have patched the Blu-ray functionality out of the older ps4s for some reason.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Loose Ifer posted:

Sakurazuka posted:

Probably not, it's closer to something like Onimusha or Ninja Gaiden in style but structured very much like a Souls game.
It's also faster and less forgiving than most soulsgames, I feel like. You fight groups more, there are more ambushes. Like a lot more ambushes. It's a lot more loot-driven than soulsgames, but I had a pretty tough time with both Nioh Demos (to the point where I didn't beat the second one) coming right off of Bloodborne and DS3.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The PS4 can definitely play Blu-Rays, and since it's the same drive the PS4 Pro should too. The functionality it doesn't have is 4K Blu-Ray which requires a different drive.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Oh I guess mine randomly stopped playing blurays on its own

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Gio posted:

I think you just want another PC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gio posted:

Get another PC or ps4. You can't do any steam and ps4 / xbone gameshare or whatever you are thinking of. You can buy some games on the xbone and play them on win10 and vice versa.

e: Ps4 has more indie games or games in the style that you listed. You even get some for free every month if you use ps+

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 29, 2016

• Locked thread