Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

if you develop static pages then fair enough, but if your employer can't see the value in attending presentations from people who have exposed weaknesses in web services and being able to network with other people in the industry for less than the price of a weeklong classroom for a vendor cert then welp

Yes, take a look at the agenda of papers/presentations for the event you want to attend.

A lot of these are wide ranging, so you should be able to make some of them apply to your current job somehow.

Some are relatively inexpensive, like DefCon. Others are expensive like Black Hat. There's a whole range in between, so you can probably sell it budget-wise unless you work for a real skin-flint.

E: Added quote for context because new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jimmy Carter posted:

so what's the over/under on someone already having a 0day for Amazon Echo that constantly records ambient audio and dumps it to a server (which is a relatively easy option given that you have guaranteed constant power and network with Echo and Echo Dot)?

What's the attack vector? I can't imagine Amazon running some dumb local webserver like other IoT garbage, and it's not like you can talk it into going to some hostile webpage either.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 29, 2016

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Volmarias posted:

What's the attack vector?

a subpoena/court order

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Volmarias posted:

I can't imagine Amazon running some dumb local webserver like other IoT garbage

lol that's more your lack of imagination mate

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

im sure if you crack it open theres a JTAG or ICSP header

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

BiohazrD posted:

there's UART connections fairly easily exposed for your soldering pleasure
https://github.com/echohacking/wiki/wiki

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

the nintendo talk is painful to watch, jesus christ take a public speaking course or something

you can randomly pick a point in the video and theres about a 75% chance the first words you will here are "uh" or "um"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

spankmeister posted:

lol that's more your lack of imagination mate

Fair enough, I just remember Amazon having a reasonable (albeit overworked) security team when I worked there several years ago so the typical garbage vendor routes probably don't exist.

BiohazrD posted:

If you can crack it open you can just shove in a piece of hardware that does what you want anyway.

Jimmy Carter posted:

there's UART connections fairly easily exposed for your soldering pleasure
https://github.com/echohacking/wiki/wiki

Or that, I guess. It still requires physical access in which case you're hosed anyway.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 29, 2016

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

BiohazrD posted:

the nintendo talk is painful to watch, jesus christ take a public speaking course or something

you can randomly pick a point in the video and theres about a 75% chance the first words you will here are "uh" or "um"
yeah they were like this last year but they had something to say then

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm sure based Wiggly Wayne DDS, curator of CCC talks will agree, that this year's Karsten Nohl talk is worth watching.

https://media.ccc.de/v/33c3-7964-where_in_the_world_is_carmen_sandiego

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

spankmeister posted:

I'm sure based Wiggly Wayne DDS, curator of CCC talks will agree, that this year's Karsten Nohl talk is worth watching.

https://media.ccc.de/v/33c3-7964-where_in_the_world_is_carmen_sandiego
they called it a "must watch" so yes i think they agree

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

anthonypants posted:

they called it a "must watch" so yes i think they agree

ah missed that, thanks :tip shat:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

https://twitter.com/marcan42/status/814497640599658496

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
goddamn

i watched the PS4 Linux video yesterday and goddamn that's amazing

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

I guess ps4 finally has some good games :smugdon: :smuggo: :smugbert:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Wheany posted:

I guess ps4 finally has some good games :smugdon: :smuggo: :smugbert:

you're fired

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

if you develop static pages then fair enough, but if your employer can't see the value in attending presentations from people who have exposed weaknesses in web services and being able to network with other people in the industry for less than the price of a weeklong classroom for a vendor cert then welp

"there are videos you can watch on the online webinar training system we bought which are good enough"

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Migishu posted:

you're fired

i wish

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

actually i just asked my boss (who's also been watching the vids) if we could go to c3 next year and he was like "lol we can't even get the company to pay for local conferences that are actually about app development" :sigh:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
is there a secfuck thread approved, not-poo poo, consumer-grade networking hardware list floating around?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Blinkz0rz posted:

is there a secfuck thread approved, not-poo poo, consumer-grade networking hardware list floating around?

Decent Security recommends the lists at the bottom of this page. Secfuck thread likes Infosec Taylor Swift so it's one degree of separation

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

"there are videos you can watch on the online webinar training system we bought which are good enough"

"The information security one is quite good. You'll need to install Flash and JRE 1.6 to watch it"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ate all the Oreos posted:

actually i just asked my boss (who's also been watching the vids) if we could go to c3 next year and he was like "lol we can't even get the company to pay for local conferences that are actually about app development" :sigh:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800676

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Segmentation Fault posted:

Secfuck thread likes Infosec Taylor Swift
????

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Blinkz0rz posted:

• Ubiquiti

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

I've seen her referenced before and the secfuck thread doesn't seem to mind her

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
i for one love vaguely creepy twitter furry "infosec taylor swift"

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
vaguely creepy? Twitter furry? I'm definitely missing something here

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Segmentation Fault posted:

vaguely creepy? Twitter furry? I'm definitely missing something here
good

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
You know how I said I like Ubiquiti products.
My EdgeRouter wouldn't let me log in today. I held the reset button down for 10 seconds as per the instructions, and then it never came back up.

I yanked the cover off and connected a USB->Uart adapter to the pins, and saw that it's now kernel panicking because they were dumb enough to use NAND instead of EMMC.

Uboot has an option for TFTP boot though, so that's good right? Oh wait, Ubiquiti doesn't offer recovery firmware for the EdgeRouter X; fantastic.

So now I am making an OpenWRT initramfs image that I can hopefully use to format the NAND and put the stock firmware back on. JFC Ubiquiti.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Rufus Ping posted:

i for one love vaguely creepy twitter furry "infosec taylor swift"

that account sucks because they picked a name that should be a gimmick but then their tweets are just normal infosec people tweets and what the hell is the point

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

weren't they originally a gimmick and then they slowly morphed into being normal

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ratbert90 posted:

You know how I said I like Ubiquiti products.
My EdgeRouter wouldn't let me log in today. I held the reset button down for 10 seconds as per the instructions, and then it never came back up.

I yanked the cover off and connected a USB->Uart adapter to the pins, and saw that it's now kernel panicking because they were dumb enough to use NAND instead of EMMC.

Uboot has an option for TFTP boot though, so that's good right? Oh wait, Ubiquiti doesn't offer recovery firmware for the EdgeRouter X; fantastic.

So now I am making an OpenWRT initramfs image that I can hopefully use to format the NAND and put the stock firmware back on. JFC Ubiquiti.

Just to add another anecdote, a several month old EdgeRouterX that I was using for work died on me last month. I didn't investigate but I wonder if something similar happened.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
now that you know Ubiquiti is cheap crap, just buy one of these and you'll be fine.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

counterpoint, ubiquiti is cool and good

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
There's the community-provided rescue kit, but that's for the ERL, not the X.

I had to use this when the thumb drive failed in one of mine.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

meatpotato posted:

kills nerves in apparently a non-painful way so you don't realize you got it all over your hands until it seeps into your bloodstream and kills the nerves in your heart, killing you dead

Edit: Actually reacts with the calcium and magnesium ions in your blood that are necessary to keep your heart beating

Yea there are a lot of dangerous things out there, and as long as you use them properly whats the big deal? I mean you can buy hydrochloric acid, sodium hydroxide, liquid nitrogen, nitroglycerin etc. But for a free and functional society we assume a basic level of competency and responsibility for people, who have the desire to purchase dangerous things.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

now that you know Ubiquiti is cheap crap, just buy one of these and you'll be fine.

the way i found out that Ubiquiti is cheap crap was by looking at the grey threads where it's nonstop gushing about how wonderful their devices are. weren't they the ones that had a referral chain thread or something where you could get like a free AP by watching a sales presentation?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

True story I got this from one of our providers a few days ago:

quote:

Reason for Outage Summary: Nortel Switch SCHLNLACHG1 Line Interface Module (LIM) 1-13 failed causing multiple backbone trunks to fail in Amsterdam. Field Engineer was dispatched to replace the LIM on switch to restored service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

leftovers from day 2:
On the Security and Privacy of Modern Single Sign-On in the Web by Guido Schmitz (gtrs) and dfett
- analysis of a couple of SSO systems with explained flaws. good talk to watch, bit slow and shows off overly complex examples though

Build your own NSA by Andreas Dewes and @sveckert
- interesting talk on analysing 'sample' data from online tracking companies, includes a segment on de-anonymising datasets, and extensions used to improve data collection. live translated from german, with regular audio issues so probably best if you watch the original. good talk in any case

Downgrading iOS: From past to present by tihmstar
- thorough talk on prior ios downgrade attacks and presents some interesting research. good watch

Intercoms Hacking by Sebastien Dudek
- gsm attacks on modern intercoms. good watch but speaker is a bit nervous

Shining some light on the Amazon Dash button by hunz
- thorough reverse engineering on the Amazon Dash button - single button hardware to allow easy re-ordering of products. what can go wrong? great talk with proof of concept

ATMs how to break them to stop the fraud by Olga Kochetova and Alexey Osipov
- atm security talk, covers a lot of ground just takes a bit to get going. plenty of proof of concepts with real world attacks. great watch

Code BROWN in the Air by miaoski
- ham talk focusing on pagers, analysis of data across months. interesting talk that's worth watching

day 3 so far:

Million Dollar Dissidents and the Rest of Us by Bill Marczak and John Scott-Railton
- citizenlab talk on how they got the pegasus malware previously talked about. obviously well researched talk that's a great watch

radare demystified by pancake
- overview of radare, analysis tool originally designed for forensics. good watch, and alright intro that's dense with examples and has no time for q&a

How do we know our PRNGs work properly? by Vladimir Klebanov and Felix Dörre
- analysing prngs with a very limited scope, focusing on entropy loss in common implementations. good watch that takes a while to get going and has some sketchy explanations

33c3 stopped uploading to youtube nearing 6h ago, then again there's not a lot of potentially great talks left (barring the memory dedup talk which i'm sure is great)

• Locked thread