Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
It's worth noting I believe she has to have achieved immortality before 45.

It basically locks you at the age you were.

My immortal Fylkja, I save game edited to restore her youth. She's had like 30 kids over the course of her life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yes. The wife of my immortal god-king is the norse pagan lady who led him to the golden apples, and she's producing sprogs* just fine in our third/fourth century together.

*Said lady spawns celibate, but after a century or two of concubines I just went "gently caress it" and console commanded the trait off her. Instant sprogsplosion.

It looks like things slow down a lot after baby 8 or 9, though.

IIRC there's a hard cap at 10 legitimate children (although bastards ignore the cap). Don't know if immortals respect it though.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Has anyone ever gotten brawny from the hunting focus? It says its a 20% chance or something like that when it pops up. Hunting if my default focus unless I have to compensate for some deficiency and I don't think I've ever seen it work and I've seen it a lot.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Wow, this game has changed a lot since I last played it 6 months ago. Way more menus and stuff. Characters owe me favors and I have no idea how to use that. Also, I can't ask the pope for money anymore? What's up with that? And educationg children just got a lot harder? Is there an overview of recent changes somewhere (without reading 8000 pages of text preferably).

EDIT: there's a guy named Arumba who has tons of videos on YouTube. Are his videos goon recommended?

EDIT 2: I stopped playing before the Horse Lords DLC was released.

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 28, 2016

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Sounds like you have Conclave which made the most changes since you last played. You can read the Dev Diaries for most of the important changes. Or this : http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Downloadable_content

Zero One fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 28, 2016

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Elman posted:

Alright, thanks! I'll probably just play cookie cutter starts like Ireland and Castile for now, so I guess I'm going with Way of Life, The Old Gods and Legacy of Rome.

Ireland is Tutorial Isle, you will see this a lot in older Let's Plays. It's a very good start, but only in 1066! Don't use the Old Gods start date your first time learning the game.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shut up blegum posted:

Wow, this game has changed a lot since I last played it 6 months ago. Way more menus and stuff. Characters owe me favors and I have no idea how to use that. Also, I can't ask the pope for money anymore? What's up with that? And educationg children just got a lot harder? Is there an overview of recent changes somewhere (without reading 8000 pages of text preferably).

EDIT: there's a guy named Arumba who has tons of videos on YouTube. Are his videos goon recommended?

EDIT 2: I stopped playing before the Horse Lords DLC was released.

I've never minded him too much. I know some people dislike him, but I've found him pretty tolerable. Doesn't curse either so good to keep on in the background at home as opposed to Shenyyr2(sic). Not that I care, but if you're at work or at home with small kids.

Jedit posted:

The formula is, like most things, based on your raw annual tax revenue. I think it's something like 6x annual income.
Okay that makes sense.

Jedit posted:

You can't appoint a Jew as Chaplain because your Chaplain must share your religion. You would have to convert first.
Oh I understand why, more that I'd just love the hilarity (and relationship issues it would cause) of appointing a Jewish guy to be the court chaplain for a non-Jewish state.

Torrannor posted:

Ireland is Tutorial Isle, you will see this a lot in older Let's Plays. It's a very good start, but only in 1066! Don't use the Old Gods start date your first time learning the game.
Even I could unify it, which says something, though I recall doing it in the earlier time periods too.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yes. The wife of my immortal god-king is the norse pagan lady who led him to the golden apples, and she's producing sprogs* just fine in our third/fourth century together.

*Said lady spawns celibate, but after a century or two of concubines I just went "gently caress it" and console commanded the trait off her. Instant sprogsplosion.

It looks like things slow down a lot after baby 8 or 9, though.

It's not so much celibacy (she had bastard after bastard with one of my courtiers in my last game), but that "will not marry" trait. She appears to be stuck at my court in my new game: she showed up right at the end of my first king's life and I figured I'd have a crack at it (he was a ruler-designed badass), but then he died of natural causes about 1/3 of the way into the event chain. She's still in my grandson's court doing nothing, I'm always tempted to have her tutor my kids, but she's a pagan.

Speaking of which, I'm getting frustrated by my attempts to learn how to work the whole "marriages for territory/claims". Married my heir to a two-county duchess in England, he goes off to her court. I didn't realise that wasn't going to give me notifications about educating his heirs, so I've already had my eldest grandson (who I am playing as now) go about 10 years before I caught it, who in-part thanks to her packing him off to the court of the rear end in a top hat King of England, is a gay rear end in a top hat that everyone hates. I think the same thing has happened to his son as well (need to log back in and check), if I flag the infants as "interesting people" should I then get notifications when they're of educating age? Just for a bit of extra flavour: the duchess in question is a one-legged jerk who apparently hates hunchbacks (I've gotten a notification that she's exiled one, and had another burned at the stake), and thought she's revolt against the English king by herself to try and lower Crown authority. I was worried he'd revoke her title when she lost and everything would have been for naught, but she's still there, mean as ever.

Still, I'm definitely getting better. I picked Dublin rather than Petty King of Mumu start since I just hemmed and hawed about moving my capital last time, and I've been expanding faster thanks to understanding the mechanics a lot better (being sure my chancellor loves me before I send him out to fabricate claims, making strategic marriages, etc). I've already pinched Desmond before the Petty King of Mumu had a chance to vassalise it, once I get Mumu itself I'll have enough to form Ireland, way faster than my last playthrough.

As far as upgrading holdings in my capital, what should I be focusing on? And when should I start filling in the open holding spots with castles? I've actually already done one (had the "an architect shows up in your court and builds you a discount castle holding" event fire successully).

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Is there any way to tell an ally army to stop following one of mine? I own Jerusalem and am defending it against a Muslim holy war and England offered to help (which is really nice since I'm excommunicated atm) but instead of going to Jerusalem they're just following one of my armies as I put down some revolts at home.

Edit: Nevermind I guess, looks like they snapped out of it when I put my army on a boat and now are off doing their own thing.

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 28, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Gobblecoque posted:

I like how opinion penalties such as having too many duchies or too big a demesne can result in characters liking you less if you give them land. I've had this foreign guy as chancellor for years because he's got 22 diplomacy and when I created a city in one of my counties I thought hey I'll give it to him as sort of a reward for good work. Now he's a malcontent and has bought favors from 3 of my other councilors so he's probably looking to poo poo on me in some way pretty soon. :v:
That sounds like de jure opinion maluses. If the AI ends up with a holding in your county, I think they end up desiring the county at least and the duchy if they are a duke or supercount which is a total malus that is relatively huge.

Some might call it entitlement but I call it the AI wanting a prettier map than you do. Keep your family pretty and your borders prettier.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, I've played in Ireland before and I conquered most of it and got claims to the rest. I just kinda dropped that campaign cause I realized I was playing it like it was poor man's EU4, blobbing by taking land instead of actually engaging in the family/dynasty mechanics of this game :shobon:

I'm just clueless about the game of thrones side of this, but I'm sure that comes with time.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Goofballs posted:

Has anyone ever gotten brawny from the hunting focus? It says its a 20% chance or something like that when it pops up. Hunting if my default focus unless I have to compensate for some deficiency and I don't think I've ever seen it work and I've seen it a lot.

Yep, I had one of my rulers get it, which was awesome. He was in his late 50s, so between the puppy and brawny he ended up living to his 70s.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

binge crotching posted:

Yep, I had one of my rulers get it, which was awesome. He was in his late 50s, so between the puppy and brawny he ended up living to his 70s.

I kind of want to see how long really healthy characters can last with these bonuses now. Oldest character I had was a Venetian doge that lived to be 79.

He died loving his new 22 year old wife. He also ended four merchant families, had three emperor titles, and vassalized the pope. He ruled for nearly 50 years and had a good life.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I managed to avoid the Genius Curse. I was playing a Norse In Ireland game, and noticed about a hundred years in that my heir was a Grey Eminence, Quick, Shrewd, Strong, Ambitious guy. Writing him off as "Going to die of dysentery in 3...2...1..." I didn't pay him much mind until I died and got to play as him at age 27. Then a few years later, I got the Immortality event and actually pulled it off. It's been nearly 200 years, but he's still going strong (Well, he has Cancer that comes and goes). No insanity, no mutilations, nothing. Everyone loves him and he leads a mighty host to impost Pretty Borders upon Europe. I'm still trying to keep a good heir lined up, because that sword of Damocles has to fall eventually. But still, he's had a good run and isn't ready to die yet. I currently have Hispania released as an independent Norse nation, they're cleaning up the last bits of the Muslims in Spain, and I'm about to release the empire of France as well, once I sort out some inheritance issues. Then my attention turns to the clusterfuck that is Germany and Scandinavia.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

IIRC there's a hard cap at 10 legitimate children (although bastards ignore the cap). Don't know if immortals respect it though.

10 legitimate living children. Since they don't inherit your immortality once they start dying off you can have more.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I'm still quite a novice at this game, it being such a timesink. Added Conclave and Reaper's Due to my DLC collection and restarted my Cornwall run. Shaky start with early deaths and a long regency, but I'd switched to Tanistry to see how that works out and at least could bounce around within my crappy existing dynasty. Got a solid warrior petty king and started carving off counties in Wales, with no ill health and a dude who just kept getting better at fighting. Was almost ready to form the Kingdom pf Wales when smallpox caught up with me. Cutting out one of my eyes cured the 'pox, but I died anyway thanks to the injuries caused by cutting out one of my eyes.

Currently playing as the hunchback heir. He did form the kingdom, but not of Wales but of Kembre? I don't know why that is. Anyway, launched a war for my de jure right to a lone Welsh county and they had way more troops than I expected, and they rushed my dudes before they could blob up. Lost the war, went bankrupt, then a long time clawing back into the red. Later on, while still bankrupt, had two separate dudes declare war on me. One of them, the son of the guy I'd just lost a war to, well I kicked his arse but got only 4 gold and some prestige out of it. The other one called in the army of Wessex and then I was hosed and lost a county.

Still, I'm spawning lots of kids, I'm a loving proper king, and lost only one county, and I've got 3 claims I can pursue not even including the de jure claims for the Welsh counties. I'm pretty happy overall. Here's where I have a question, because the game just hosed me.

I had fabricated claims for a one country state across the water in Ireland. I've got 1k troops ready to march in, leader menu says he's got 700. I'm up for it, and march the long way round via Scotland so we can attack from the land. March in, and WTAF he's got 3k troops! Says that 2.5k of those soldiers are "event troops" or something, but no other details. So now I'm about to go back into bankruptcy over a lost war when I felt like I had a good chance of sneaking a foothold into Ireland.

1/ What the hell are these event troops?

2/ How do I know in advance something like this might happen?

I don't mind too much, this is just one of those things that adds to the narrative, but I feel like I should get some warning before, or explanation afterwards. Educate me please.

P.S. Is there a tl;dr on why/when I'd want to start up the council? I was enjoying having absolute rule, formed the council because why not, and I seemed to lose desmene size and stuff but... I gain more chances to change some laws more frequently if they go along with it? A little 3 line guide on what best to do with these guys would be lovely.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Parkingtigers posted:

I don't mind too much, this is just one of those things that adds to the narrative, but I feel like I should get some warning before, or explanation afterwards. Educate me please.

Tribal rulers can raise event troops with prestige, and then certain pagan tribes can also raise them with piety. 500 prestige (or 200 piety) lets them get a whole lot of light troop fluff. So always check to make sure that your target has less than 500 prestige / 200 piety.

That said, if you are a feudal ruler with mostly pikemen, heavy infantry, and cavalry from your castles, you'll probably win even at a hefty disadvantage in raw troop counts. Light Infantry are absolute garbage, so if you can get a few more guys you'll be able to win, even if they raise up a prestige army.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
That's all I needed to know, thank you kindly.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Also, I'm fairly sure "Kembre" us just the Cornish/Breton name for Wales.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Pompous Rhombus posted:

It's not so much celibacy (she had bastard after bastard with one of my courtiers in my last game), but that "will not marry" trait. She appears to be stuck at my court in my new game: she showed up right at the end of my first king's life and I figured I'd have a crack at it (he was a ruler-designed badass), but then he died of natural causes about 1/3 of the way into the event chain. She's still in my grandson's court doing nothing, I'm always tempted to have her tutor my kids, but she's a pagan.

Speaking of which, I'm getting frustrated by my attempts to learn how to work the whole "marriages for territory/claims". Married my heir to a two-county duchess in England, he goes off to her court. I didn't realise that wasn't going to give me notifications about educating his heirs, so I've already had my eldest grandson (who I am playing as now) go about 10 years before I caught it, who in-part thanks to her packing him off to the court of the rear end in a top hat King of England, is a gay rear end in a top hat that everyone hates. I think the same thing has happened to his son as well (need to log back in and check), if I flag the infants as "interesting people" should I then get notifications when they're of educating age? Just for a bit of extra flavour: the duchess in question is a one-legged jerk who apparently hates hunchbacks (I've gotten a notification that she's exiled one, and had another burned at the stake), and thought she's revolt against the English king by herself to try and lower Crown authority. I was worried he'd revoke her title when she lost and everything would have been for naught, but she's still there, mean as ever.

Still, I'm definitely getting better. I picked Dublin rather than Petty King of Mumu start since I just hemmed and hawed about moving my capital last time, and I've been expanding faster thanks to understanding the mechanics a lot better (being sure my chancellor loves me before I send him out to fabricate claims, making strategic marriages, etc). I've already pinched Desmond before the Petty King of Mumu had a chance to vassalise it, once I get Mumu itself I'll have enough to form Ireland, way faster than my last playthrough.

As far as upgrading holdings in my capital, what should I be focusing on? And when should I start filling in the open holding spots with castles? I've actually already done one (had the "an architect shows up in your court and builds you a discount castle holding" event fire successully).
You don't get to educate your grandkids if theyre in her court, not yours. Thats why you should probs not marry your primary heir away unless you're ready for that sorta play.

I usually go with Walls > Castle towns > light infantry > heavy > stables and then keep, with keeps moving to the front of the queue after the other poo poo gets to lvl 2. The retinue buildings are always ok, but I prefer to do them last after trainin yards.

Parkingtigers posted:

That's all I needed to know, thank you kindly.
Empowering the council means you lose power. Do it if you have to, otherwise just be a tyrant. The juicy thing is in the war committee, where vassals on the council cant join factions except when the council is discontent

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I kind of want to see how long really healthy characters can last with these bonuses now. Oldest character I had was a Venetian doge that lived to be 79.

He died loving his new 22 year old wife. He also ended four merchant families, had three emperor titles, and vassalized the pope. He ruled for nearly 50 years and had a good life.

I've got characters past 80 before. I think 84 is my record. My best was still the kid who took the throne aged 2 and reigned for over 70 years before dying in battle, though.

Do we have a release date for M&Ms? I don't want to start a new game without it, but I have nothing left to do in my Venetian HRE game except take on the entire of Europe every two years to take a duchy.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jedit posted:

I've got characters past 80 before. I think 84 is my record. My best was still the kid who took the throne aged 2 and reigned for over 70 years before dying in battle, though.

Do we have a release date for M&Ms? I don't want to start a new game without it, but I have nothing left to do in my Venetian HRE game except take on the entire of Europe every two years to take a duchy.

We don't have a date, but considering that we only had about three real dev diaries for M&M, I would guess that it won't be out before February.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Parkingtigers posted:

P.S. Is there a tl;dr on why/when I'd want to start up the council? I was enjoying having absolute rule, formed the council because why not, and I seemed to lose desmene size and stuff but... I gain more chances to change some laws more frequently if they go along with it? A little 3 line guide on what best to do with these guys would be lovely.
Empowered council on its own is a bit of a half step as mentioned, you also need Council War Declaration at which point the vassal gardening metagame can get turned on its head. The old goal was to disenfranchise vassals by keeping them pruned so that any faction needs multiple joiners to trigger a civil war. But your vassals are just as ambitious as you are and will be gunning for extra land which means extra troops.

So you can safely remain absolutist if the troop count of lets say your top 3 vassals still comes in below your troop count, or if you have the moneybags to throw at civil wars to tyrant prune counties or duchies off your biggest vassals to keep them to size. If you have a large realm with some superdukes you don't want joining factions Empowered Council with Council War Declaration makes the only time you need to worry about civil wars is immediately after succession.

Council laws are a popular faction target so you should probably stay absolutist until a faction makes you empower the council because it logically follows that if you're scared of a faction you want the no councilors on factions to stop it in the future.

You don't need the superdukes on a council all the time either, you only need to prevent faction ultimatums from firing so you can play games with rotating in and out yes-men who love you to rubberstamp votes if the traditional council is giving you trouble. Favors also let you force votes.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
What the fuuuck. Apparently abdicating your throne gives the "New Administration" and "Recently Conquered" debuff to all of your demesne i.e. you're not getting any money except from vassals and all your personal levies don't just not reinforce, but are actually deleted. My dude was old and crippled and hated and excommunicated so when France declared war and the only condition of surrender is that my king abdicate in favor of my heir I'm like sign me the gently caress up I've been trying to get myself killed for the past decade. Now the various factions are at hilarious strength despite not actually gaining any new supporters (one is at 276%) because I've got no army.

Like I get it if some jerk comes in and actually conquers my realm or overthows me but this was basically an entirely normal succession.

Edit: I gotta say, I'm glad I decided to hold on to the kingdom of Jerusalem too because a holy war against me seems to have caused those factions to disband and I've got the Templars and Hospitallers as vassals so I'm able to fight despite my nonexistent levy.

Fake Edit: Also, is there any sort of bug that causes your physician to not do anything about conditions that appeared before they were hired? My new herbal remedy witchdoctor werido has been on the ball for the consumption I contracted after hiring her but she's not done anything about the rabies I somehow acquired beforehand which is a bit disconcerting.

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 29, 2016

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Am I missing something here: Eg. right now castle town III upgrade costs about 280 and increases the tax income by +2. So it takes 140 years just to pay itself back?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Zilkin posted:

Am I missing something here: Eg. right now castle town III upgrade costs about 280 and increases the tax income by +2. So it takes 140 years just to pay itself back?

Stewardship and other modifiers are multipliers of base tax.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

What the fuuuck. Apparently abdicating your throne gives the "New Administration" and "Recently Conquered" debuff to all of your demesne i.e. you're not getting any money except from vassals and all your personal levies don't just not reinforce, but are actually deleted. My dude was old and crippled and hated and excommunicated so when France declared war and the only condition of surrender is that my king abdicate in favor of my heir I'm like sign me the gently caress up I've been trying to get myself killed for the past decade. Now the various factions are at hilarious strength despite not actually gaining any new supporters (one is at 276%) because I've got no army.

Like I get it if some jerk comes in and actually conquers my realm or overthows me but this was basically an entirely normal succession.

Edit: I gotta say, I'm glad I decided to hold on to the kingdom of Jerusalem too because a holy war against me seems to have caused those factions to disband and I've got the Templars and Hospitallers as vassals so I'm able to fight despite my nonexistent levy.

Fake Edit: Also, is there any sort of bug that causes your physician to not do anything about conditions that appeared before they were hired? My new herbal remedy witchdoctor werido has been on the ball for the consumption I contracted after hiring her but she's not done anything about the rabies I somehow acquired beforehand which is a bit disconcerting.
What the heck, you're not supposed to get the new admin malus if it's of your own dynasty?? I'd report it as a bug.

Zilkin posted:

Yes, the bonuses you get from tech, your state stewardship and from planting your steward on top of it.

But tbh, you aren't gonna be making beaucoup bux in castles; you mostly just wanna aim to mitigate troop costs. That´s why the gods gave us city vassals. (I'm not quite sure why they gave us priests. So we would have a third type?)

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I believe Dante told us what to do with priests in De Monarchia. They should have all the power of the Kingdom of Heaven.

It amounts to roughly a thimblefull on Earth, just like my council.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Oh my lawdy lawd I love creating clusterfucks and then just watch them unfold. Breaking up blobs, creating new ones, erasing boring religions in favour of cool ones and so on.

For the proper soothing needed for watching this, please consider listening to this song as you read about this world. It's a nice song.

This time I made Great Britain Prydain the Ibadi Caliphate. The King of Ireland was the test; he's the King of only the 3 landlocked counties there while every single coastal duchy is a merchant republic (some just lost their inland one but they're still there)

Meanwhile, the Emperor of Welsh GB is landlocked as well in his two duchies, while every single coastal duchy is a merchant republic. The ones up north are Scottish, while Cornwall is Breton. He's currently trying and failing to subjugate Oman, for some godforsaken reason. I'm very curious how they're gonna handle jihads once they start, because this idiot fucker isn't raising his 316 vassal boats for some baffling reason.

Meanwhile, I'm annoyed how the Charlie start always ends the same in Spain; Ummayds form Hispania, Charliebrother croaks it and so on. So I decided to balance things around a little bit down there, with the titular Empires of Britanny and Léon tag-teaming the Umms. Meanwhile, Charlie is about to impregnate every single woman in his court and legitimize every single boy until he has as many as there are formable kingdoms in mainland europe. Thinking of grabbing some of the middle european ones as well, maybe up to Serbia.

This one is pretty good, I feel. I'm going to Unite the Schism once Syria/Israel finishes building the Third Temple to start the Jewish Crusades, then make the Byzantine Empire Fraticelli once Orthodox becomes a heresy due to county numbers. The two revolts you see happening are the Shiite Caliphate and Zorastrian Empire to be.

Thing is, that now I've made these horrorshows, I don't really feel like playing them. Ahhh, c'est la vie.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Honky Dong Country posted:

So I've been playing a game starting as the duke of Mercia in the charlie start...

In my current game (my first after a long CK2 absence), you people have been a real pain in my Charlemagne-era dick! :mad:

I started as the independent Earl of Surrey, and after four long-lived kings I'm just finally getting up to punching weight with the big boys (without having to empty my wallet and the wallets of my Jewish merchants on mercenaries every single time my neighbors decide to backstab me).

Now, Essex is mine, and Wessex finally agreed to a pact marriage, so my one-eyed, one-handed warrior king of Kent et al. has a big axe to grind and only one nearby face to grind it on. :orks101:

EDIT: I am getting pretty worried about the sea of Islam flowing up through Iberia and into France, however. The Franks haven't gotten their poo poo together for more than a few years at a time this entire game, and now the pope is launching ineffectual crusades against rando Spanish targets. Will this headache eventually resolve itself, or should I be getting ready to switch over the branding on my cathedrals in a couple hundred years?

Watching the hijinks of the infidel club-footed child Emperor of Hispania would be pretty :lol: if it weren't for all the doomstacks. :sweatdrop:

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 29, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
What is supposed to happen is that they get at least one holy order, maybe two and this combined with popeforces and that of a king should let them take on the relatively far off Hispanian kingdoms.

But for some reason or another, the kings rarely, if ever seem to join, meaning that it's more often than not up to you, the player, whether a crusade/equivalent succeeds or not.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I just cranked us a game for the first time in 6 months or so, and it's nice to see that the Muslim clown car is alive and well.

I only realized this when I was suddenly the target of a great Islamic holy war... in Norway.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

In my games the Umuyyads always take Aquitaine, but around 900 the crusades kick off in response, establishing the Knights Hospitaller, Knights of Santiago, Knights of Calatrava, and the Teutonic Order. Together with every major power in Christendom these always completely crush the Muslims and put Aquitaine back in Christian hands. Ideally, French/Frankish/Occitan rulers ally together and continue to beat the poo poo out of the Umayyads and take more land.

For my Britannia game, I used alliances in the mainland to take Brittany, Asturias, Galacia, and the duchy of Poitou, all because the Umayyads haven't fully recovered from the first crusade.

Basically I consider Islamic conquests in France a good thing because it allows crusades to kick off earlier and provides opportunities for conquest in Hispania and southwestern Francia.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

What the heck, you're not supposed to get the new admin malus if it's of your own dynasty?? I'd report it as a bug.

Yeah it definitely felt like a bug but it's nice to confirm that. Funny thing was that it ended up not affecting me much with the holy war and my vassal orders (alongside a truce with France and epidemics ravaging the nearby realms). The rabies, on the other hand, killed my guy off before he had even a couple years in the throne and now my sole child, a 1 year-old girl, is queen (with my old, crippled, formerly excommunicated dad as heir). :v: I do have to say, I'm really glad I've decided to go ironman while I'm still learning this game. It gets you into the craziest situations and oftentimes leaves you with the feeling of "oh poo poo everything is falling apart there's no way it can get worse" and then it does which is remarkably fun.

Also, turns out it wasn't a bug with the physician not dealing with my rabies. Apparently they won't treat the character if they have have the "successfully treated" trait. So my weird village witch lady wouldn't do anything about my rabies for a year and a half because she had already cured my consumption by throwing a dead frog at me.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I'm trying to get back in the game but I have trouble finding a cool somewhat easy start place and date. I'm tired of the Ireland start but my skills are still rusty I'm still not very good at this game so I'm not sure where to go next.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

shut up blegum posted:

I'm trying to get back in the game but I have trouble finding a cool somewhat easy start place and date. I'm tired of the Ireland start but my skills are still rusty I'm still not very good at this game so I'm not sure where to go next.

The Duke of Apulia (southern Italy) in 1066 is a fairly easy start. Make nice with the HRE and you won't have any major threats against you, meanwhile you have lots of weak neighbors.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Honky Dong Country posted:

In my games the Umuyyads always take Aquitaine, but around 900 the crusades kick off in response, establishing the Knights Hospitaller, Knights of Santiago, Knights of Calatrava, and the Teutonic Order. Together with every major power in Christendom these always completely crush the Muslims and put Aquitaine back in Christian hands. Ideally, French/Frankish/Occitan rulers ally together and continue to beat the poo poo out of the Umayyads and take more land.

For my Britannia game, I used alliances in the mainland to take Brittany, Asturias, Galacia, and the duchy of Poitou, all because the Umayyads haven't fully recovered from the first crusade.

Basically I consider Islamic conquests in France a good thing because it allows crusades to kick off earlier and provides opportunities for conquest in Hispania and southwestern Francia.

I did a game where I made a God Emperor Saoshyant who got rid of the Muslims everywhere except Spain/North Africa. Was hilarious to watch the remaining ones crumble into various heresies due to tanked MA.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I've had decent luck playing as the Sultan of Hispania in the Charlemagne start. You start with a good-sized army and lots of income, and both Shia North Africa and Catholic Asturias are pretty ripe for the picking. Once Francia splits up in a decade or so, you can basically stomp all over Europe with holy wars and invasions, and before you know it you'll be building camel riding grounds in Norway. Muslims are easier than Catholics in some ways and harder in others, but are well worth trying if you haven't yet.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
In a battle my own men seem to have killed the leader of the mercenaries that I hired.

Is this supposed to be possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A good graduation game after Ireland is one of the small sized conquerors like 1066 Apulia, 1066 northern spain, or Old Gods vikings. A duke on the war path for a king title within another country is another possibility like your choice of cultural upstarts in 1066 HRE, a duke in the Byzantine empire in any start (a little harder with the old fashioned empire tyranny taking nuts and balls of), or a duke in any of the Muslim clown cars which also includes the wildcard zoroastrian Saoshyant game since the Muslims will comically let you swear fealty and then rip apart their realm from the inside to start you on the war path through Persia.

• Locked thread