Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

I managed to beat the ult with a really odd team:

Pretty standard for me:
Ramza -full break and shout - lvl 90
Vaan - BSB - lvl 99
Arc - Shell and curaga -instant medica ssb - lvl 80

My attempt at wind damage:
Luneth - lvl 80 -died in first three turns, effectively did nothing
Cid - lifesiphon and Imperial wind ssb - lvl 66 (lol)
RW - Zidane's BSB used with Ramza

I don't understand how my level 80 Luneth died almost immediately and a level 66 Cid makes it til the end, especially with only Shell as damage mitigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Varance posted:

Quistis joins the BSB club... now to dive her to 5* black to make her useful! :suicide:

just wrath into her burst

Stopgap
May 26, 2003

That's MISTER Freeze to you!
Picked up Wakka's BSB on the dollar pull.

Does the OSBfest have better drop rates than a normal banner? Seems like people are (mostly) having really good luck, myself included.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i did a last minute pull on the 1st banner and got mistelteinn or whatever. then my first 5* dollar pull but it was seraphim's rod.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I was saving my last 11-pull for Banner 3 since I have none of the relics and really want Agrias BSB, Ovelia Media, or Celes Indomitable Blade, but I couldn't resist the urge to dollar draw and got Artemis Bow :toot:

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

1st AD posted:

I was saving my last 11-pull for Banner 3 since I have none of the relics and really want Agrias BSB, Ovelia Media, or Celes Indomitable Blade, but I couldn't resist the urge to dollar draw and got Artemis Bow :toot:

I'll have 250 mithril for it and FF14. I'm not 100% if I'll roll super hard on FF14, but I guess I'll see what I do get out of my pulls.

From what I've seen, that FF14 banner is pretty nuts.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

1st AD posted:

Divine Heal is Ovelia's Medica on a better character, so yeah.

Incidentally, drawing it means that I now have access to all but two of the Magic Blink SBs, including all three Medica variations. Only ones I'm missing are Firion's BSB and Kimahri's SSB.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I think some of us are getting a little stir crazy, waiting not quite patiently for the banners we've allocated our mythril for. I know I am. People in the discord smellin' my crazy. My Canadian crazy.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

Charles Bukowski posted:

I think some of us are getting a little stir crazy, waiting not quite patiently for the banners we've allocated our mythril for. I know I am. People in the discord smellin' my crazy. My Canadian crazy.

Off-topic: does that smell like maple syrup?

On-topic: Gold Knights, why art thou such stingy assbags? Hoping I get lucky with the better prizes, because there's no way I'm emptying the options out on Roulette.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
So Cloud's USB was even more insane than predicted. Not only does Cloud get a flat 30% bonus to all physical damage he does after using the USB, his crit rate gets set to 100%. And remember, that USB also makes his attacks ignore the damage cap.

Sephiroth's second BSB is also completely insane. Not only do the burst commands make him into Refia 2.0: Darkness Edition, but the BSB itself also applies a shield effect to the whole party that's absorbs the next two attacks thrown at each party member (basically like blink but triggered by both physical and magic attacks).

CRITS.

Speaking of crits, how do I make Refia hit for 9999 per hit with her burst command? I can only get her to do ~3k a hit on top-end bosses assuming no crits even after applying tons of buffs and debuffs.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

the Orb of Zot posted:

Speaking of crits, how do I make Refia hit for 9999 per hit with her burst command? I can only get her to do ~3k a hit on top-end bosses assuming no crits even after applying tons of buffs and debuffs.
Assuming you're applying dark bargain from her aoe command, you should easily hit 9999 with just shout, given the hits crit. The thing with Refia's BSB is that the opener sets her crit rate to 50%, and command 1 does double damage on crit instead of 1.5x.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Assuming you're applying dark bargain from her aoe command, you should easily hit 9999 with just shout, given the hits crit. The thing with Refia's BSB is that the opener sets her crit rate to 50%, and command 1 does double damage on crit instead of 1.5x.

Really? I'm throwing around stuff like 20% damage RMs, the Dark Bargain command, Shout, stacking DEF drops (Armor Breakdown, Full Break, and Ark Blast), and I still can't get more than 3k a hit on the command before crits on the absolute top-end stuff.

For reference, I was testing it on Apocalypse difficulty Enkidu and his ~5000 DEF. Is there something I'm missing?

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Dec 29, 2016

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
I miss the Christmas music already. I'm getting really sick of this BING BONG BING BONG part at the beginning of whatever remix is playing every time I go back to the title screen.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Shock Trooper posted:

I miss the Christmas music already. I'm getting really sick of this BING BONG BING BONG part at the beginning of whatever remix is playing every time I go back to the title screen.

Good news! Whatever that was has been replaced by buttrock.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

CaptainPsyko posted:

I'm totally down with this dumb buttrock.

(for the time being)

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

CaptainPsyko posted:

It was Crazy Motorcycle and it was pretty cool when it got going, Still More Fighting is always good though

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Totally-calm-not-rage-pulled again on OSB banner - 1/11. Quistis BSB. Is this any good? It looks alright.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

bilperkins2 posted:

Totally-calm-not-rage-pulled again on OSB banner - 1/11. Quistis BSB. Is this any good? It looks alright.

It's pretty okay! The best thing about it is she can wrath wrath -> BSB so you don't really need to dive her for black 5.

The worst thing about it is that if Chain Biora wouldn't cap, it's better than her command 1, and you need to dive her to make her able to cast that. Also Bio is a relatively commonly resisted element.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Can anyone explain the greased lightning mechanic on Yda's burst? If you build up three stacks the next attack will be a 50 percent boost that stacks with everything? It sounds super niche but at the same time Im on a huge ff14 kick at the moment and maining a monk and I am really glad they are adding mechanics like this.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CaptainPsyko posted:

It's pretty okay! The best thing about it is she can wrath wrath -> BSB so you don't really need to dive her for black 5.

The worst thing about it is that if Chain Biora wouldn't cap, it's better than her command 1, and you need to dive her to make her able to cast that. Also Bio is a relatively commonly resisted element.

Not really - other than machines and undead, the only things that resist bio are more or less omni-resists. It's actually a pretty stable element for the most part.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Oryp posted:

I don't understand how my level 80 Luneth died almost immediately and a level 66 Cid makes it til the end, especially with only Shell as damage mitigation.

Luneth has terrible Resistance.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

W.T. Fits posted:

Luneth has terrible Resistance.

Like "worst in the whole game minus cores" terrible, if I remember correctly.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

CaptainPsyko posted:

The worst thing about it is that if Chain Biora wouldn't cap, it's better than her command 1, and you need to dive her to make her able to cast that.

Honestly it's still worth it to dive her for black 5 - Meltdown access is pretty sweet on its own, and I'd rather slam a weakness via Chain spells for my SB meter than Wrath. It's nice she has that option if you don't have the hones or weaknesses though.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

I'm having trouble deciding on whether to pull on osb banner 3 or 5.
3 looks like it should have better stuff, but I have 2 dupes (arc and ovelia medicas) and have a different Eiko medica too.

5 I have no dupes (but I have a different Vanille medica) but nothing really jumps out as something I would really want like celes-calibur and hamelin and Excalibur(T). Lustrous shield would give me enough +Holy for a holy team (but so would Excalibur(T)), and onion gauntlets are pretty nice but I don't have OK upgraded enough to make him useful yet.

I am approaching 150 Mithril and would like to pull on one of these and the XIV banner and have enough leftover for the future.

Kumog
Dec 28, 2006
Am I your god?
Still trying to decide on a team, though right now I've finished with the roulette bit entirely. (1 gil/chip felt like a joke when I have over 10 mil from this event).
Relics I've got with SBs are.

Gungnir(III), Defender (II), Overture (XIII), Onion Sword (III), Engine Blade (XV), Strange Vision (VIII), Mistilteinn (XIII, 6 starred), Thyrus (XIV), Dream Harp (IV), Fairy Flute (IX), Nephilim Flute (VI), Red Scorpion (VIII), Fixed Dice (VI), Sentinel's Grimoire, Bismarck (VIII), Platinum sword (FFT, 6 starred)
Diamond Shield (I), Tiara (VI), White Mage Robe (III) Grand Armor (FFT)

Only mainstay I've never swapped out since getting has been Gilgamesh, since even without a relic for him I've been enjoying having a solid tank.

Kumog fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 29, 2016

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Leon is a very solid tank, especially with that relic you have for him. Darkborn Blade is automatically ranged, so you can put him in the back row, draws single target attacks/magic and buffs his defense by a lot. I'd go with

Vanille (white mage)
Ramza/Tyro (support, Shout/Wall)
Leon (knight or darkness)
Luneth (dragoon)
Lightning/Onion Knight (combat/celerity)

RWing Wall or Shout, whichever you don't bring yourself

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog

ApplesandOranges posted:

Not really - other than machines and undead, the only things that resist bio are more or less omni-resists. It's actually a pretty stable element for the most part.

Actually they don't tend to even.

I've been touting Chain Bioga as The Real Flare for a while now, because it's two hits and the resistance on it is basically non-existant. Out of the upcoming Ultimate bosses(there's a neat spreadsheet someone threw on Reddit for this), it's as resisted/nulled/absorbed combined as Holy is, tied for second least. It just has like, no weaknesses. Ever.

(By the way, Darkness is the least stopped element. Weird but true.)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

the Orb of Zot posted:

Sephiroth's second BSB is also completely insane. Not only do the burst commands make him into Refia 2.0: Darkness Edition, but the BSB itself also applies a shield effect to the whole party that's absorbs the next two attacks thrown at each party member (basically like blink but triggered by both physical and magic attacks).

We don't know the burst commands for Sephiroth's BSB2 yet.

CaptainPsyko posted:

The worst thing about it is that if Chain Biora wouldn't cap, it's better than her command 1

You can say this about literally every non-Powerchain mage BSB in the game.

quote:

Also Bio is a relatively commonly resisted element.

No, it isn't.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Can anyone explain the greased lightning mechanic on Yda's burst? If you build up three stacks the next attack will be a 50 percent boost that stacks with everything? It sounds super niche but at the same time Im on a huge ff14 kick at the moment and maining a monk and I am really glad they are adding mechanics like this.

Greased Lightning is a stackable status which grants +15/30/50% Attack and 3/4 to 1/4 cast time for all actions, depending on stack level, but is removed upon taking any damage.

It's pretty terrible, unfortunately, because Stoneskin doesn't last very long unless you want it to go away, in which case it takes forever for the boss to finally erode it.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 29, 2016

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

bilperkins2 posted:

Like "worst in the whole game minus cores" terrible, if I remember correctly.

Pretty much. Comparing all the characters in Global who can currently reach level 99:

Lv. 99 Resistance - Character
224 - Celes
194 - Terra, Shantotto
191 - Krile, Ashe
187 - Maria
181 - Yuna
179 - Garnet
176 - Rosa, Y'shtola
169 - Sarah, Aerith
167 - Vanille
164 - Lenna, Hope
157 - Zack, Rinoa
152 - Lightning
149 - P. Cecil, Cloud, Squall, Thancred
147 - Refia
145 - Agrias
144 - Zell
142 - Warrior of Light, Garland, Beatrix, Balthier, Ramza
135 - Firion, Bartz, Zidane, Tidus, Vaan
130 - Tyro, Onion Knight, Delita
128 - Yda
127 - Leon
120 - Kain, Sabin, Auron
112 - Luneth

Most of the high RES characters tend to be offense-oriented mages, followed by white mages, then down into the physical characters. Celes is an outlier, and I figure that's just meant to represent her Runic ability for those souls like myself who have been unfortunate enough to never pull one of her Runic soul breaks from the gachas. (Amusingly, her maximum RES is double Luneth's maximum RES.)

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
Is there much of a difference between BSB's? I found that fenrir overdrive would carry me through the 60 stamina orbfest dungeon, but refreshing wandering dudes can be extremely tedious sometimes. As long as I pair a magic on a magic character or an attack on a attack character, will I see comparable damage and have an infinite aoe attack regardless of which burst I bring along? Or are there some I should avoid?

Stamina is especially precious for me still and I would really hate to waste 20 on some dud ability.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

The people who know things posted:

Luneth's Resistance

That does partially explain the :flame:

Cid still only had 3 more Res, not counting gear. Oh well, neither of them is on my A team unless I need wind damage, now I know to gear Luneth for Res!

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

MannersPlease posted:

Is there much of a difference between BSB's? I found that fenrir overdrive would carry me through the 60 stamina orbfest dungeon, but refreshing wandering dudes can be extremely tedious sometimes. As long as I pair a magic on a magic character or an attack on a attack character, will I see comparable damage and have an infinite aoe attack regardless of which burst I bring along? Or are there some I should avoid?

Stamina is especially precious for me still and I would really hate to waste 20 on some dud ability.

For the orbfest dungeon it won't make much/any difference, but some are better/worse for harder content. Ideally you want to be grabbing one that inflicts the element a boss is weak to, or inflicts breakdown effects on a boss, in my experience.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
There is a large amount of variance between BSBs, yes, especially once you get to Ultimate content. Right now, though, all you really want is a Hit All ability on entry and an AoE command to clear the five mini-Cactuar waves and instead of listing all of the BSBs, of which there are dozens, I'll instead direct you to this link. For Physical characters, I recommend you look up Shuriken Storm and add users to your Friends list. It's instant AoE damage on entry and the Defend command is fast cast AoE. It's perfect for trash waves. As for Magical characters, there's no single one that's as adapted to Orbfest farming but Proof of Existence is also AoE on entry with an AoE Defend command. Regular speed, though, which isn't the end of the world but isn't quite as luxurious.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Zurai posted:

Oh.

Still seems like Cloud is becoming the new crit master at any rate.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm skipping banners 3 and 4 myself, and gonna try once more for Onion Gauntlets.

For anyone looking for an interesting strategy on Earth Guardian Ultimate, I was able to clear him last night, thanks in part to finally getting the trinity for my party and using a Luneth RW. With my own Luneth BSB, I had three guys constantly interrupting wrecking the Guardian's poo poo with the attack command which hits 4 times and has a moderate chance to interrupt.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Zurai posted:

You can say this about literally every non-Powerchain mage BSB in the game.

And unlike literally every non-powerchain Mage BSB in the game, you need to dive Quistis to get to it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

CaptainPsyko posted:

And unlike literally every non-powerchain Mage BSB in the game, you need to dive Quistis to get to it.

You're kind of missing the point by a huge margin.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Zurai posted:

You're kind of missing the point by a huge margin.

Only because you missed mine by omitting the last few words of the sentence.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So the only FFT character I have that does NOT have a relic is Agrias. I've been really good about saving mythril for when Orlandeau hits but I'd like some advice on what the best banner to pull on is for Agrias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Elephant Ambush posted:

So the only FFT character I have that does NOT have a relic is Agrias. I've been really good about saving mythril for when Orlandeau hits but I'd like some advice on what the best banner to pull on is for Agrias.

Agrias has her relics on the same banner as Orlandeau. Her Excalibur BSB, a new SSB Shield, and her Kaiser Shield.

• Locked thread