Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Doltos posted:

I'm definitely going after Hopkins again next year though. All you have to do is throw the ball at him and he produces, plus he still got an insane amount of targets this year.

They threw it at him a ton though, and he didn't produce :confused:

Not saying it's Hopkins' fault at all. I too took him on the theory that last year they said "gently caress it send hopkins deep, throw the ball up, and pray" and it worked splendidly with poo poo-tier QB's at the helm. But Brock was so stunningly god awful that even with Hopkins' 3 mile catch radius, he couldn't make him productive. Plus all those zillion targets per game were on little 5-10 yard Edelman routes, so even if he caught it, it was 0.4 fantasy points. Not the 4 60 yard DGAF bombs he'd catch every game last year.

I'm really not going near Hopkins next year unless there's a major change at QB or in the offensive play calling. He'll probably improve on this year a bit because he's too talented not to. But I'm only interested in gambling if I can get him as like my WR3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
4 leagues, 3 playoffs, 1 championship this year. I'll definitely take that. Dropping nearly my entire FAAB on Tyrell Williams and Rob Kelly right before week one is looking pretty good in hindsight (yay dumb luck). Looking forward to unpacking the new data in upcoming Ground Control work once the full season is in.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Spoeank posted:

Actually just draft good players and don't bump someone up your board because other players who play the same position suck. God bless and goodnight.

Edit: and anyone who says "take position x in round y" is a charlatan

Last two rounds: kicker and defense. That's my only rule on draft day beyond BPA.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TUS posted:

Word of advice, if you agree to do a money league, pay your drat dues :smith:

Did you win something and they kept your prize money cause you didn't pay? If so, good.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
We've never paid up front in my friends league. You can if you want to but it's not mandatory. We've never had a problem with people paying at the end of the year and sending money to whoever wins.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If you don't pay after the draft you can't set a lineup in our league.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If there was a rule saying you can't win prize money if you hadn't paid by a certain date, then good, you hosed up. If that was never mentioned I would fight to the death to get my winnings.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Joey Freshwater posted:

We've never paid up front in my friends league. You can if you want to but it's not mandatory. We've never had a problem with people paying at the end of the year and sending money to whoever wins.

If it's a bunch of close friends its one thing, but I bet almost everyone is in leagues with 4 or 5 guys they don't really know. Somebody's cousin or brother in law or co-worker.

It's a pain in the commissioner's rear end to be hounding people for money the week between christmas and new years when all the winners are broke and are whining that they were counting on their money and all the freeloaders are still broke. People who don't pay their dues blow.

RCarr posted:

If there was a rule saying you can't win prize money if you hadn't paid by a certain date, then good, you hosed up. If that was never mentioned I would fight to the death to get my winnings.
That's dumb. If you don't want to pay your dues don't join money leagues.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Friends, I can't decide who to keep in my two keeper leagues and want to make end of year trades. Either for moving up in the draft next year or some sort of "quantity for quality" type deal.

League one: 1ppr, 3 WR/2RB/1QB/1TE Each team keeps exactly four players and they are your first four picks

Locks: AB and Mike Evans
Two more: Tyrell Williams, Todd Gurley, Mark Ingram, Ben Roethlisberger, Jordan Reed

I'm almost wondering if I should just see who I can get the best picks for and keep the last two standing. I think that's also the order I would rank them if I had to pick right now.

League two: 1ppr, 3w/2r/1q/1t/1wrt, bonus points at 100/150/200 yards r/r, two keepers each team, keeper costs 1 round higher than you drafted them (UDFA cost a 7th round pick), 1st can be kept for a 1st.

Lock: David Johnson (6th)
Other: OBJ (1st), Gurley (5th), Tyreke (7th), Dak (14th)

Again, order I'm currently leaning.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Friends, I can't decide who to keep in my two keeper leagues and want to make end of year trades. Either for moving up in the draft next year or some sort of "quantity for quality" type deal.

League one: 1ppr, 3 WR/2RB/1QB/1TE Each team keeps exactly four players and they are your first four picks

Locks: AB and Mike Evans
Two more: Tyrell Williams, Todd Gurley, Mark Ingram, Ben Roethlisberger, Jordan Reed

I'm almost wondering if I should just see who I can get the best picks for and keep the last two standing. I think that's also the order I would rank them if I had to pick right now.

League two: 1ppr, 3w/2r/1q/1t/1wrt, bonus points at 100/150/200 yards r/r, two keepers each team, keeper costs 1 round higher than you drafted them (UDFA cost a 7th round pick), 1st can be kept for a 1st.

Lock: David Johnson (6th)
Other: OBJ (1st), Gurley (5th), Tyreke (7th), Dak (14th)

Again, order I'm currently leaning.

Both Reke and Tyrell Williams feel like they're going to be overdrafted. I'd trade either now while they're hot. Gurley for a 5th is a lock in the second league, and Gurley for a 3rd in the first league is probably a lock (even moreso if most people use all their keeper slots and thus dilute the player pool a ton). For the first league, I'd order the remainder: Gurley, Ingram, Reed, Tyrell, Ben, but definitely would not keep Tyrell or Ben.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
There's, like, 2 of us doing week 17 championships so if you don't mind I'll post my roster question here.

How does this look? I'm flip flopping a lot on WR. My opponent is playing Cousins so DJax might give me some offset insurance.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RVProfootballer posted:

Both Reke and Tyrell Williams feel like they're going to be overdrafted. I'd trade either now while they're hot. Gurley for a 5th is a lock in the second league, and Gurley for a 3rd in the first league is probably a lock (even moreso if most people use all their keeper slots and thus dilute the player pool a ton). For the first league, I'd order the remainder: Gurley, Ingram, Reed, Tyrell, Ben, but definitely would not keep Tyrell or Ben.

Everyone has to use all four slots (I have tried to get this changed but it's unfortunately in the "it's tradition!" argument phase now) so it's 48 players deep (maybe 52 if we manage to get back up to 14 teams like it used to be) when we get to the actual picks. Also I agree on Ben for sure, I generally don't like keeping QBs in one QB leagues unless it's an absolute top tier guy, I was just listing him for completion's sake.

Just out of curiosity, any reason you're so low on Tyrell? He was solidly a WR2 (17th in points among WRs) this year. I know Allen will be back but I don't really trust him to stay healthy a whole (or even half) season.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

IcePhoenix posted:

Everyone has to use all four slots (I have tried to get this changed but it's unfortunately in the "it's tradition!" argument phase now) so it's 48 players deep (maybe 52 if we manage to get back up to 14 teams like it used to be) when we get to the actual picks. Also I agree on Ben for sure, I generally don't like keeping QBs in one QB leagues unless it's an absolute top tier guy, I was just listing him for completion's sake.

Just out of curiosity, any reason you're so low on Tyrell? He was solidly a WR2 (17th in points among WRs) this year. I know Allen will be back but I don't really trust him to stay healthy a whole (or even half) season.

The only thing that gets me low on Tyrell is tearing his labrum again (he did it in college) - I don't know if that's the kind of injury that is prone to reopening once you get it, but if so that might make me a little wary on him moving forward.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

BonoMan posted:

The only thing that gets me low on Tyrell is tearing his labrum again (he did it in college) - I don't know if that's the kind of injury that is prone to reopening once you get it, but if so that might make me a little wary on him moving forward.

This is a great point to consider.

Paging Swickles. Somebody go get Swickles.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Forever_Peace posted:

This is a great point to consider.

Paging Swickles. Somebody go get Swickles.

oh god what did i do

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
Ahhh week 17 championship. Should I be afraid that Edelman will get rested before producing any big numbers or start djax who is hot and in a huge matchup that he should be a considerable part of? Normally Edelmans floor is enough of a hedge but now I'm second guessing starting him.

And has anyone heard any rumblings of devonta Freeman not playing the whole he this weekend? It's hard to sit him but I'm not sure why the falcons would even risk it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

Ahhh week 17 championship. Should I be afraid that Edelman will get rested before producing any big numbers or start djax who is hot and in a huge matchup that he should be a considerable part of? Normally Edelmans floor is enough of a hedge but now I'm second guessing starting him.

And has anyone heard any rumblings of devonta Freeman not playing the whole he this weekend? It's hard to sit him but I'm not sure why the falcons would even risk it.

Falcons are playing for #2 spot. Freeman is playing the whole game unless it's a blowout - in which case, if he sits, you'll most likely have gotten a lot of points from him already.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

IcePhoenix posted:

You can't post something like this and not tell the story

BigFactory posted:

Did you win something and they kept your prize money cause you didn't pay? If so, good.

Not much of a story... I won my league, commish made every effort to collect from this one guy, even locking him out of his team after like week 7, and I missed out on winning a full pot.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Because my league sucks we are having our Championship game this Sunday. I have Greg Olsen as my starting TE but he's injured and I have Jack Doyle on the bench. Should I start Doyle or is Xavier Grimble from the Steelers a better prospect? Or should I just say gently caress it and let Olsen do his drat thing?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
You don't pay.

You don't draft.

You don't get password to the league.

You don't exist.

You are replaced.

It's not hard.

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin

Spoeank posted:

You don't pay.

You don't draft.

Yeah, this is the only way to do it. No-one needs to be chasing the deadbeats down once the season started.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

What's really incomprehensible to me is the people who sign up for a league, do pay the fee... and then DGAF all season starting guys who are injured or on bye. Like you are basically lighting a nontrivial amount of money on fire :shrug: Seems especially common in work leagues.

I get wanting to have something to talk about around the water cooler or whatever. But wouldn't you prefer the topic not to be "lol you lost by 80 points with 4 inactive guys in your starting lineup. Again."?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Tyrell has been great this season, but main target hog Keenan died half a game into the season, the other target hog Woodhead died shortly after (he had 107 and 87 targets his last two healthy years, compared to Melvin's 57 this year, but I haven't checked the other RB target counts this year), Travis Benjamin is probably better than he's been playing, Inman has come in and been useful, and Tyrell is still just a UDFA with a single good season in which he also had massive opportunity. Just screams out "will be overdrafted based on production from previous year" when people forget all the contingencies that helped him be so productive. I'm happy to take a shot on the Chargers probable WR2 at some point in the draft, but definitely not draft him as a fantasy WR2. I'm not touching him as a 3rd or 4th round pick ahead of solid RB2s with elite RB1 ceilings (Gurley, Ingram).

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Docjowles posted:

What's really incomprehensible to me is the people who sign up for a league, do pay the fee... and then DGAF all season starting guys who are injured or on bye. Like you are basically lighting a nontrivial amount of money on fire :shrug: Seems especially common in work leagues.

I get wanting to have something to talk about around the water cooler or whatever. But wouldn't you prefer the topic not to be "lol you lost by 80 points with 4 inactive guys in your starting lineup. Again."?

Our #1 team in my league just quit updating his roster like a month ago and managed to go 2-2 in that span. He was poised to win like $600 if he just updated his roster and he quit doing it. I'm not sure WTF happened

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

TUS posted:

Not much of a story... I won my league, commish made every effort to collect from this one guy, even locking him out of his team after like week 7, and I missed out on winning a full pot.

Get his email and send him a paypal invoice for the amount of his buy-in every month.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

In my work league last year we had a guy who autodrafted then didn't set a lineup for weeks 3-6. The commish yelled at him an assured a few of us that the dude wouldn't be in the league the following year. The slacker set his lineups the rest of the season, finished number one overall and steamrolled the championship game. We couldn't kick out the champ. He autodrafted again this year. Didn't outright not set lineups but did leave in bye-week players occasionally. He went to the championship again! He lost, thankfully and is probably out of the league but still. I look at my mock drafts, folder of analysis websites and $30 in transaction fees and realize that I really don't know anything about fantasy football.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

A guy in my friends league auto drafts every year as a good luck charm. He's active and competitive (made the finals this year) but never drafts his own team. Still not sure how I feel about it, but I can't argue with the results.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Forever_Peace posted:

A guy in my friends league auto drafts every year as a good luck charm. He's active and competitive (made the finals this year) but never drafts his own team. Still not sure how I feel about it, but I can't argue with the results.

Considering how few of the players I draft are actually still on the roster by playoff time every year, I can't fault this approach.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea if the draft wasn't my favorite part of fantasy id give that a shot since more often than not auto drafted teams are competitive

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Forever_Peace posted:

Does he set rankings beforehand? Because that might actually help you from getting in your own way during the draft.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
So... slow draft?

(I kid, but this time of the year is murder because no fantasy baseball or football and I'm awful at fantasy basketball to bridge the gap)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Start DJax if you need a high upside player on a team that cares.

Spoeank posted:

So... slow draft?

(I kid, but this time of the year is murder because no fantasy baseball or football and I'm awful at fantasy basketball to bridge the gap)

Hockey? Daily?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
fantasy hockey is great because it's like fantasy baseball but it's harder to be good at if you have a bad draft so you hate it even more when your team is bad

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm tempted. I have
Michael Thomas
Ty Montgomery
starting.

Then I have Crowder, Tyrell Williams, Rishard Matthews and Djax on the bench.

Swap Ty for DJax?

I have Sproles in the flex... I can swap him out for a receiver too but I dunno. I think he's gonna get a lot of snaps.

Also have Alfred Blue on the bench as well.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BonoMan posted:

I'm tempted. I have
Michael Thomas
Ty Montgomery
starting.

Then I have Crowder, Tyrell Williams, Rishard Matthews and Djax on the bench.

Swap Ty for DJax?

I have Sproles in the flex... I can swap him out for a receiver too but I dunno. I think he's gonna get a lot of snaps.

Also have Alfred Blue on the bench as well.

PPR?

I like DJax more than Thomas. I think Montgomery is going to ball out.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hockey? Daily?

I don't have the care for hockey. I'll probably just make a bunch of Boogie centric NBA daily lineups and that's it.

The doldrums of January.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

PPR?

I like DJax more than Thomas. I think Montgomery is going to ball out.

Sorry I always forget to include that info. Non PPR, ESPN standard.

By "ball out" you mean do good right?

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Sorry I always forget to include that info. Non PPR, ESPN standard.

By "ball out" you mean do good right?

Yes, that is indeed the meaning of the phrase "ball out." Can also be referred to as "ballin". Not to be confused with freeballin

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Actually, freeballin is also good

My phone insisted on autocorrecting that to "freebasing" :lol: Thanks for protecting the children, Apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felter Chesthard
Sep 11, 2001
Full PPR start any 2 of
Pryor @ Pitt
Rawls @ SF
Collins @ SF
McFadden @ Phi
Perkins @ Wash
Draught v Seattle

Considering Rawls and Collins because surely one of them will have a big game? Week 17 is the worst.

• Locked thread