Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I actually quite liked the open world in the division

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is The Division worth it for someone that will barely play co-op? Wondering the same about Destiny. I played Borderlands solo all the way (DLC included) and only played Borderlands 2 coop for like 10-20 hours of the 200+ hours I spent playing it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I wouldn't touch Destiny single player. The story is dirt

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Outside of the Dark Zone and three 'Incursion' missions, going solo is entirely possible and you'll earn the same loot.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Is The Division worth it for someone that will barely play co-op? Wondering the same about Destiny. I played Borderlands solo all the way (DLC included) and only played Borderlands 2 coop for like 10-20 hours of the 200+ hours I spent playing it.

the division and destiny are basically mmos. you can play them by yourself but it's not great

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I wouldn't touch Destiny single player. The story is dirt
Nah it's been great single player since year 2. If you get The Collection with all the expansions there's loads of fun quests to do entirely solo.

Manatee Cannon posted:

the division and destiny are basically mmos. you can play them by yourself but it's not great
Destiny at least has randoms running around in all the non-darkness zone areas but The Division only has other players inside safe houses. It's much less of an MMO than Destiny, which is stretching the MMO thing to begin with.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Guillermus posted:

I pretty much only play solo since I have kind of an ADD playing habit. That being said, everything has matchmaking so there's nothing that can't be done with a minimum of human interaction. Most groups I get into never say a word, we just get the mission or whatever done and then bounce out afterwards.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The story in Year 1 Destiny is probably one of the most incompetently put together AAA campaigns in years. Absolutely nothing about it makes sense, you're barely told anything about what's going on or why while being told to go to their website to learn more about what's happening, and it introduces a bunch of characters and plot ideas that just vanish into a black hole never to be seen again. It's kind of amazing that the protagonist eventually gets phased out of the plot in their own game.

Year 2's "The Taken King" is Bungie actually giving a drat and making a product actually resembling a real campaign. It's got a real storyline you can actually follow, has characters that interact with each other, some really cool set pieces, some real meat to the campaign itself, and the raid in it is pretty good too.

Year 3's "Rise of Iron" is essentially Bungie's B-team hurriedly putting out a DLC-caliber expansion pack for the same price as Taken King with like a third of the content and a fifth of the campaign length while the big boys at the company make Destiny 2. It has some neat ideas, a few cool set pieces, a Raid that's mostly a boss rush punctuated by a couple jumping puzzles, and a story that amounts to an anime filler arc.

I have my platinum in the Division and I'm almost there in Destiny + DLC but if I had to pick one over the other I'd still pick Destiny though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you had me at anime filler arc

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Policenaut posted:

The story in Year 1 Destiny is probably one of the most incompetently put together AAA campaigns in years. Absolutely nothing about it makes sense, you're barely told anything about what's going on or why while being told to go to their website to learn more about what's happening, and it introduces a bunch of characters and plot ideas that just vanish into a black hole never to be seen again. It's kind of amazing that the protagonist eventually gets phased out of the plot in their own game.

Year 2's "The Taken King" is Bungie actually giving a drat and making a product actually resembling a real campaign. It's got a real storyline you can actually follow, has characters that interact with each other, some really cool set pieces, some real meat to the campaign itself, and the raid in it is pretty good too.

Year 3's "Rise of Iron" is essentially Bungie's B-team hurriedly putting out a DLC-caliber expansion pack for the same price as Taken King with like a third of the content and a fifth of the campaign length while the big boys at the company make Destiny 2. It has some neat ideas, a few cool set pieces, a Raid that's mostly a boss rush punctuated by a couple jumping puzzles, and a story that amounts to an anime filler arc.

I have my platinum in the Division and I'm almost there in Destiny + DLC but if I had to pick one over the other I'd still pick Destiny though.

Thanks for the clarification but, why do you still prefer Destiny over The Division? I only played a few games from Bungie (Halo 1 on PC, Halo 3 and Reach on Xbox360) and didn't really like them but this one looks really different.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Calling the corridors of The Division "open world" is a bit of a stretch. I remember the most galling thing about the copy/paste side missions was so many had exactly one voice clip.

Small arms fire, repeat we are taking small arms fire, can anyone respond.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Guillermus posted:

Thanks for the clarification but, why do you still prefer Destiny over The Division? I only played a few games from Bungie (Halo 1 on PC, Halo 3 and Reach on Xbox360) and didn't really like them but this one looks really different.

its not really different, it's Reach as a loot MMO. it's pretty good

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Guillermus posted:

Probably because the story isn't that important. Destiny excels at the key game mechanics of shooting, looting, and dancing. And honestly the grimoire works just fine for me as story delivery. I need something to pass the time while dealing with Destiny's poo poo loading times inherited from the limitations of the previous console generation.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The Last Guardian snuck up at the last minute and snatched my GOTY from Titanfall 2. What a beautiful game. Every reviewer who complained about Trico not taking orders like it's a Roomba was stupid and wrong. How is Trico supposed to know you're rushing through the game in as few hours as possible so you can squirt out your shallow review? Maybe slow down and try to communicate with the guy huh? Christ what a bunch of assholes

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

acksplode posted:

The Last Guardian snuck up at the last minute and snatched my GOTY from Titanfall 2. What a beautiful game. Every reviewer who complained about Trico not taking orders like it's a Roomba was stupid and wrong. How is Trico supposed to know you're rushing through the game in as few hours as possible so you can squirt out your shallow review? Maybe slow down and try to communicate with the guy huh? Christ what a bunch of assholes

Same here, Last Guardian absolutely floored me. Titanfall 2 in the #2 spot.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst and FFXV tied for # 3

Uncharted 4 is # 4

Epic year for games.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Epic year for games.

Someone sure got their loving monkey paw wish.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

acksplode posted:

But there is a trophy for beating it in 5 hours so

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

There's a trophy for beating UC4 in 6 hours

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

There's a trophy for beating UC4 in 6 hours

Uncharted 4 is just stunningly beautiful in some parts. Especially going through some of the cliff-cave sequences. Just insanity.

What are some other games on that level? I have a soft spot for playing beautiful games regardless of how good they are.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Journey

acksplode
May 17, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

so you get it on a subsequent playthrough because it requires expertise that you don't have or need the first time you play it. Hi

Epic year for games.

Seriously, I feel like the medium is having a bit of a moment. I've played more and better games in the last year than I have in a long while. Plus PSVR came out and that poo poo was cool too. It's been a great year for games and also for everything, everything in the world is going great so need to bring up anything else.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 29, 2016

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Guillermus posted:

The Division is perfect by yourself, don't pick up Destiny if you don't have a group of people to play with, the game goes out of its way to punish you if you go at it solo. You will be locked out way too much content if you have no one to play with.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Uncharted 4 is just stunningly beautiful in some parts. Especially going through some of the cliff-cave sequences. Just insanity.

What are some other games on that level? I have a soft spot for playing beautiful games regardless of how good they are.

I guess that would depend. Do you see beauty in frame-rates/resolutions, or in unique artistic/thematic design?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Woah, it may be the only time I hesitate to choose between two shooting games. Destiny looks cool and has tons of released content wich is a plus. The Division has a setting that I really dig and while I prefer first person to third, from what I read, the cover-shooting is smooth.

The only "downside" is price since Destiny complete is 29.99€ and The Division 44.99€ if I want all content. Is the DLC for The Division worth it or is it just better to stick with the base game (24.99€)?

Edit to include quote:

I said come in! posted:

The Division is perfect by yourself, don't pick up Destiny if you don't have a group of people to play with, the game goes out of its way to punish you if you go at it solo. You will be locked out way too much content if you have no one to play with.

Right now I only have one coworker as friend on PSN so basically I'm on my own until I can find a game to build a goon friend list like I do with my 360.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 29, 2016

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I guess that would depend. Do you see beauty in frame-rates/resolutions, or in unique artistic/thematic design?

Well, of course I like all kinds of beauty (Journey is great - I already have it. But so is UC4 - they're just different kinds of beauty). So, in this instance, lemme just narrow it down to more photoreal beauty such as UC4.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I absolutely would not call Division's cover system "smooth". I have died countless times because my guy refused to vault over cover when I was flanked, or couldn't detach from the cover properly when being attacked and ran into a wall, or one instance where I left cover and was trapped inside the geometry of the cover and had to quit the game.

Guillermus posted:

DrNutt posted:

Probably because the story isn't that important. Destiny excels at the key game mechanics of shooting, looting, and dancing. And honestly the grimoire works just fine for me as story delivery. I need something to pass the time while dealing with Destiny's poo poo loading times inherited from the limitations of the previous console generation.

I tried writing out a long-rear end effort post about aesthetics, presentation, loot progression, gameplay comparisons, PvP and the like but this really just sums it up better. That and Destiny actually has PvP unlike Division's bullshit.

I said come in! posted:

I wouldn't go that far. Almost all of Destiny's content can be done single player with no real trouble, and most of the co-operative content has matchmaking enabled so you can just join up with other people from the menu and play with them. The only substantial content that's absolutely barred from you if you don't want to form a group with people is Raids, which are admittedly kind of story important because Bungie uses them as true endings for each of the Years.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't mind playing with people to be honest, is that I prefer to play mostly with goons if I need to do co-op content and not alone. Most of my friends that own a PS4 just play PES2017 or fighting games. For some reason my friends with an Xbone do play more shooters.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Well, of course I like all kinds of beauty (Journey is great - I already have it. But so is UC4 - they're just different kinds of beauty). So, in this instance, lemme just narrow it down to more photoreal beauty such as UC4.

In the UC4 technical vein you should play The Last of Us for its facial tech, and The Witcher 3 for its mix of everything.

In the unique art vein you should most definitely play Bloodborne and The Last Guardian. Also Inside, Transistor, SOMA, and probably The Witness.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 29, 2016

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I cannot believe how good the animations are in Last Guardian.
They're light years ahead of most of the garbage this generation has thrown out.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

You will be locked out of four raids, a small number of PVE arena modes, and the weekly Nightfall which is an existing strike that isn't unique.

And you can easily use the LFG tool in the official Destiny app to play any of those.

I don't have anyone I play with and I've done everything there is to do in that game.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

FadedReality posted:

I preordered The Division with Season Pass and that turned out to be a really good idea (eventually) so gonna preorder more Ubisoft games imo

I did this too after my wife traded in her old phone at eb games for an inexplicably high trade credit, which I turned into PSN cards. Probably my biggest regret of 2016, especially after getting a full refund on no man's sky.

Basically every other Ubi game lately has been completely my jam though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I cannot believe how good the animations are in Last Guardian.
They're light years ahead of most of the garbage this generation has thrown out.

Yeah, the game may have technical issues, but just like in Shadow of the Colossus, Ueda's background as an animator and his sensitivity to the idiosyncrasies of character movement are just amazing.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I'll give Ubisoft one thing on Division's season pass: they knew that absolutely no one would give a poo poo about any kind of story-enhancing content and went to work on making new gameplay modes that link in to the main one.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
The Division is still in fix mode, looking to make PvP half decent with the next patch (good luck) but the big plus for it over Destiny is that it does far more interesting things with its DLC than Destiny ever has. Destiny dlc has been good at adding more core stuff like PvP maps and modes (but still uses skill based p2p shitmixing) and a couple of interesting strikes but then introduced that bullshit silver microtransaction currency. The Division added randomised dungeons and now a survival mode that is better than most survival games, not just more of the same crud to grind over and again.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Guillermus posted:

I don't mind playing with people to be honest, is that I prefer to play mostly with goons if I need to do co-op content and not alone. Most of my friends that own a PS4 just play PES2017 or fighting games. For some reason my friends with an Xbone do play more shooters.

You should get Destiny on PS4 and friend up some goons. It's honestly a very good community and despite having very few IRL friends on PSN have managed to do almost all of the coop required content in the game. And you can literally play like 90% of Destiny's content just fine solo.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I did this too after my wife traded in her old phone at eb games for an inexplicably high trade credit, which I turned into PSN cards. Probably my biggest regret of 2016, especially after getting a full refund on no man's sky.

Yeah I still regret going in whole hog based on a two day beta and several years worth of self imposed hype but now that it's much better I'm glad I already spent my money.

I'm another person who has played Destiny and The Division 90% alone and both are fine for more hours of solo fun than you'll probably be willing to devote. I like playing with other people a lot but most of the time I want to be able to stare at my menus and my inventory and go at my own pace without feeling like I'm boring someone else.

Echoing what TG-Chrono said Division's Survival Mode is like The Division + The Long Dark in midtown Manhattan and is very good.

e: The Division Survival DLC has you loading into a night time, mid blizzard version of the entire game map with 23 other people either in PVE or PVP. You get a minimal UI, no gear, no skills, and a pistol. Your helicopter gets shot down trying to retrieve some thing and got some sort of injury with sepsis setting in in one hour (because video games). The cosmetic clothing you find in the main game makes an appearance here as clothing to protect you from the blizzard outside. Every time you step outside your body temp starts dropping and clothing makes it decay more slowly. Fires of any kind and going indoors restores your temp and if it drops all the way down, your health drains until you die or get to warmth. Every resource cache you find is usable by one person so warm clothing, crafting materials, food, and healing items can only be gotten by one person at a time.

People start dying almost immediately and you can get some of what they had on them if you get to their body before anyone else. The eventual goal is crafting a breathing mask to get into the Dark Zone and then making it to the extraction where a really tough NPC "finally tracks you down" and then you escape. No matter what way your current run ends you get scored on how you did and get loot caches for the main game based on your score.

FadedReality fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 29, 2016

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

In the UC4 technical vein you should play The Last of Us for its facial tech, and The Witcher 3 for its mix of everything.

In the unique art vein you should most definitely play Bloodborne and The Last Guardian. Also Inside, Transistor, SOMA, and probably The Witness.

Perfect thanks! I have LoU Remastered but haven't played it yet. I heard great things about The Witcher too.

Inside is on my list (loved Limbo) as well as Transistor and The Witness. Haven't heard of SOMA. Thanks!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I love my new PS4. Quick question, where is the option to turn on 2FA? I looked over the op and I think I totally missed it.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Watch Dogs 2 is taking all my time lately, i'm enjoying it way more than I thought I would. It's fantastic, so many cool tricks and gadgets, different routes and possible strategies for the missions, tons of content. And the online mode is unique and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

BonoMan posted:

download the driveclub ps+ demo and do a race with heavy rain on in the day with the in car view

• Locked thread