Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

VideoGames posted:

I love my new PS4. Quick question, where is the option to turn on 2FA? I looked over the op and I think I totally missed it.

http://idp.sn/security

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Thank you! It is now enabled :D

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Allright! Gonna pick up Destiny right now as, well, I can get The Division later on too if they put it again on sale. If any Destiny goon wanna add me my psn is Guillermus_

I'm surprised that I got a PS4 just for Bloodborne and Nioh and now I own a bunch of games and I'm loving it. I'm playing through Uncharted 1 and while it's dated and the jetski parts are awful, the game is fun enough to push through it and keep with the series.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

VideoGames posted:

I love my new PS4. Quick question, where is the option to turn on 2FA? I looked over the op and I think I totally missed it.

I think its in the account mgmt section of the website. I dont think you can do it via console

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Guillermus posted:

Allright! Gonna pick up Destiny right now as, well, I can get The Division later on too if they put it again on sale. If any Destiny goon wanna add me my psn is Guillermus_

I'm surprised that I got a PS4 just for Bloodborne and Nioh and now I own a bunch of games and I'm loving it. I'm playing through Uncharted 1 and while it's dated and the jetski parts are awful, the game is fun enough to push through it and keep with the series.

Glad you're getting something out of it. In 2007 it was pretty drat cool, and playing it first really helps emphasize how well the sequels built off the foundation of characters and tech.

I'd put a week or two between each game though to avoid burnout on the mechanics.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Guillermus posted:

Sent you a friend request for destiny. I'm in the UK though so the timezones might not balance out that well.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
When you get to the point in Destiny where you can/should do nightfalls or raids, there's a fairly active thread in PGS for finding fireteams. The Games thread is mostly hardcore PVPers but it can still give out good advice on occasion.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I cannot believe how good the animations are in Last Guardian.
They're light years ahead of most of the garbage this generation has thrown out.

Games like that just make me bummed that games have ditched expressive animation in favor of mocap or jut not giving a poo poo. Gravity Rush has gorgeous animation too.

It's always kind of been lost on western developers. You get developers that actually care about animation like naughty Dog and they use to emulate real life as much as possible (nothing wrong with that it just feels more functional than artistic) to developers that pretty much say "who gives a poo poo if the animation is good"? (Bethesda)

It's really one area where Japan has always just made the west look like crap by comparison.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

veni veni veni posted:

It's really one area where Japan has always just made the west look like crap by comparison.

Yeah. The mocapped stuff Naughty Dog do is great but most Western developed stuff is really bad.
That trailer for the new Mass Effect game... like the animations were laughable. No better than ME1 from...2005?!

And like you said, Bethesda. They literally don't give a gently caress. How many games did it take them to add a diagonal running animation?! I know a lot of people here (including me) poo poo on Bethesda for being lazy developers but animation is definitely one of the areas they totally deserve to be taken to task. Character animations in FO4 are so janky.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah specifically Bethesda and Bioware are the worst offenders. drat near any western RPG. it's like an RPG is a free pass to not put any effort into animation. But you look at something like Dragon's Dogma or Dark Souls and the animation is pretty charming and adds personality to the games that always feels lacking in WRPGs.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
*stands motionless in front of door*
*disappears*
Yes, this is good

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

acksplode posted:

so you get it on a subsequent playthrough because it requires expertise that you don't have or need the first time you play it. Hi

Seriously, I feel like the medium is having a bit of a moment. I've played more and better games in the last year than I have in a long while. Plus PSVR came out and that poo poo was cool too. It's been a great year for games and also for everything, everything in the world is going great so need to bring up anything else.

Whats the game development timeframe. 3-4 years into the generation. Are we seeing the first wave of games designed for 'modern' hardware?

last guardian aside.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It's a sad state of affairs when half life 2 is still the benchmark for facial animation

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's a sad state of affairs when half life 2 is still the benchmark for facial animation

Uncharted 4?

Game is so detailed you can see genuine shifts in emotion from tiny muscle movements around a character's eyes.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Yeah as much as I rag on the gameplay of UC4 the character animation is the best around atm.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not to get too deep into video games psychology but I think WRPG makers think they don't need to put effort into animation because just being a big RPG used to be enough. It's 200 hours what more do you want? Kind of like how GTA style games were just expected to have bad and dated gameplay until like 5 years ago because being set in a big open world was enough for people.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Not to get too deep into video games psychology but I think WRPG makers think they don't need to put effort into animation because just being a big RPG used to be enough. It's 200 hours what more do you want? Kind of like how GTA style games were just expected to have bad and dated gameplay until like 5 years ago because being set in a big open world was enough for people.

japanese rpgs usually do the same sort of thing but they skimp on poo poo like grass textures/world detail and usually make the characters the focus of their effort. idk why maybe they make bank on marketable characters with merch and anime series or whatever.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there have been plenty of games with better facial animations than hl2, idk where he got that from. remember la noire?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah facial animation has gottten really good. HL2 looks ancient at this point.

One that kind of took me by surprise was Watch Dogs 2. The faces and animation in general are phenomenal.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Just posting this as I hadn't watched it in years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HBwxbWVb-M

This poo poo is going on 13 years old. I remember how floored I was playing it on release day.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Well, that and the dev techniques and philosophy are different in Japan. For the longest time game assets were all developed simultaneously with art assets, which allows for a lot of weird intricacy and heterogeneous detail. Western devs usually develop an engine as a platform first and then work within the limitations of that engine, which leads to stable but homogeneous game design.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

Whats the game development timeframe. 3-4 years into the generation. Are we seeing the first wave of games designed for 'modern' hardware?

last guardian aside.

I don't think it has much to do with hardware. There's no reason that any of my favorite games from the last couple years couldn't have been released in the 360/PS3 generation, just maybe uglier. I'm sure TLG could have been crammed onto a PS3 with better engineering/optimization and some visual compromises, like not rendering every single drat feather on Trico. MGSV's flaws aside, it was an obvious technical achievement, and was released on both this generation and the last with total parity aside from framerate, resolution, LOD. So hardware is no excuse these days for boring or uninventive games.

Honestly it surprises me that I'm as excited about games as I am right now. I was disappointed with the last generation, especially compared to the PS2 era. I don't particularly enjoy open-world games, cover shooters, most FPS's, or western RPGs, so most of the AAA releases didn't interest me. Indie games hadn't yet matured, at least on consoles (which is why Microsoft hid most of them away in a separate XBLA ghetto). The few games I loved were generally somewhat niche and made by a small number of mostly Japanese developers -- Konami, Capcom, Platinum, Nintendo -- at a time when Western games were ascendant. The AAA western games I did enjoy got more conservative and less interesting with each sequel (Assassins Creed 2+, Bioshock). I got the sense that mainstream game design was getting more conservative and settling into a few mass-appeal genres, driven by the ever growing cost of development.

But the situation right now is that my favorite multiplayer game is a novel sci-fi take on Call of Duty, I have a backlog of AAA games that aren't just GTA clones or FPS's, I have several indie games with fun mechanics that don't sacrifice on polish, Dark Souls is a major seller, Resident Evil is going back to its roots, etc. etc. (Sucks about Konami and the Wii U, but now Kojima is independent with the full support of Sony, and the Switch has me pretty excited.) Conservative design is still all around, FPS's and Western RPGs are still in style, but they've definitely gotten more interesting, and it feels like the market is doing a better job of supporting the types of games that I enjoy. I don't know how this happened!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tlg was shown sped up 3x in all ps3 footage because it ran at 5 fps

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hahaha no, even when it was new Half Life 2 wasn't the benchmark for facial animations, that honor goes to Vampire The Masquerade who's facial animations still hold up quite well today not to mention having one of the greatest voice acted cutscenes in history.

Now if we're talking psychics engine, that HL2 did quite well and still remains as king there.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I cannot believe how good the animations are in Last Guardian.
They're light years ahead of most of the garbage this generation has thrown out.

And yet the kid's "starting to run" animation is somehow the most ridiculous thing I've seen in years...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah, Witcher 3 has great animation and is one of the few games where I didn't blitz through dialogue because seeing the emotional beats in the scenes was worthwhile.

On the other, JRPG, front, FFXV outside designated cutscenes has terrible animations and lipsync, so I don't really understand all the praise of the "Japanese" way

Edit: Like, this may be a joke segment but look how stiff and canned everything is. How the tops of their faces are frozen and the only thing that moves is their lips
https://twitter.com/GreyTheTick/status/805052657396109312

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 30, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

japans one game, final fantasy xv, has let charliefoxtrot down

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Shouldn't the AAA powerhouse with millions of dollars in its budget be the exemplar? The one game that gets mentioned in here is The Last Guardian, which has great character animation and also runs at 15 fps

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Shouldn't the AAA powerhouse with millions of dollars in its budget be the exemplar? The one game that gets mentioned in here is The Last Guardian, which has great character animation and also runs at 15 fps

FFXV should not be "the example" for anything. Its wacky dev cycle means that you're probably looking at art assets scattered from almost half a decade of development standing next to each other.

They have more developed models for story cutscenes and the facial animation there is significantly better.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

On the other, JRPG, front, FFXV outside designated cutscenes has terrible animations and lipsync, so I don't really understand all the praise of the "Japanese" way

People aren't talking about facial animations when they're praising the Japanese style. They're talking about the body animations that have a quaint "off-balance" Studio Ghibli quality to them.

And on that note FFXV's body animations are really loving good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

it's also worth noting that 'extremely stiff character facial animation for less important cutscenes" sure as hell ain't exclusive to Japanese games. Even the Witcher 3 has it happen for minor NPC sidequests rather than the big ones.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The world that the Division creates is much better than it has any right to be. The audio logs, echos, and the personalities of the gangs all combine to make thongs a bit more interesting.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Even at the time HL2's facial animation was less about "look at all the points of articulation" and more like "we can control eyebrows and cheeks the same way we do limbs" and "look at how his mouth matches the sounds with all these different language packs."
Something like being able to set a noise gate on your voice acting WAVs and code the lips to only flap when the sounds reach the right threshold was pretty new. Prior to that, mouth movements were like, a repeating two/three framed face texture. Closed mouth, open mouth, teeth, closed mouth, repeat.

EDIT:
Also, there's such a thing as too good facial animation if you leave the rest of the body in the dirt. Mass Effect 3's gay sex had so much uncanny valley going on with the statuesque plastic bodies and the animated contorting faces that it probably made me straight for 24 hours.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 30, 2016

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

blackguy32 posted:

The world that the Division creates is much better than it has any right to be. The audio logs, echos, and the personalities of the gangs all combine to make thongs a bit more interesting.

:marc:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
TLG wasn't my GotY but it's still in the top ten. It can be annoying when Trico does whatever but it's not that much of a problem overall and usually you can get him to do what you want by simply petting him or at least changing up how you're trying to direct him. Hell, the times I got most aggravated with him was when it turned out I was going the wrong way and it turned out I was the idiot that wasn't listening while he was trying to lead me the right way.

In general, a lot of the complaints reminded me of similar complaints about Ico which seemed to more come from people that just didn't want to actually look after Yorda at all.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

drat you autocorrect!

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Speaking of the Last Guardian, I'm stuck right after you encounter bad Trico and you get locked up in the cage. After rolling around forever I gave up and googled a guide, which says I'm doing precisely what I should be (i.e. nothing) and Trico eventually shows up. He hasn't. I got a brief little cutscene, but no Trico. Bugged?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Anti-Hero posted:

Speaking of the Last Guardian, I'm stuck right after you encounter bad Trico and you get locked up in the cage. After rolling around forever I gave up and googled a guide, which says I'm doing precisely what I should be (i.e. nothing) and Trico eventually shows up. He hasn't. I got a brief little cutscene, but no Trico. Bugged?

Quitting the game and reloading it can't hurt, if it is bugged. You might need to navigate to a certain position or look up at the ceiling, that's where the next thing is supposed to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

cage-free egghead posted:

Just posting this as I hadn't watched it in years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HBwxbWVb-M

This poo poo is going on 13 years old. I remember how floored I was playing it on release day.

Even if he's some sort of alien god or whatever that's poorly imitating human form and speech, its still wall-eyed, stale movement.

FFXV's biggest problem is how much of a single player MMO it is at the end of the day. FF11 and 14 have really poised FF to be nothing but a gigantic time sink instead of just a huge one. I'm honestly surprised how toned down the loving outfits for the backstreet boys are. It's like they had a rule that belts weren't supposed to be everywhere or else they'd take 20 years to make the cutscenes all work.

But yeah, perfect facial movements for every line of party chatter dialogue isn't as important as the body movements they make during some of them. Its a small improvement, but notable difference between most RPGs where characters mechanically move around to the player's commands as chatter maybe doesn't bug out to be heard at all this time. (DA:Inquisition).

• Locked thread