Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I voted for Embiid because I believe in love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Jota posted:

Sixers announcers own

Oh yeah, they are really good forgot about them. Clippers too.

Put Philly at 3 on the good list and put the Clippers at 4 on the bad list.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Austin Carr is having a ton of fun announcing basketball which is good because his career was cut short by injuries. He's a cool basketball grandpa with a smoky laugh that occasionally forgets his words.

Fred is a fairly generic Homer announcer. League average, I would say.

Slightly related; I've heard people be annoyed with the Cavs announcers for talking up every opponent which is a strange complaint to me. You'd rather they poo poo on the team? It's the NBA, anything is possible.

They are the second worst homers in the league for foul calls, plus they have annoying catchphrases and provide absolutely zero analysis or basketball talk besides distilling everything down into 'Cavs are winning because they want it more' unless they are losing in which case 'Cavs need to show more effort out there'.

Oh yeah and every three from more than six inches behind the line is 'from DEEP IN THE Q!!!!!'

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

The Maestro posted:

Also of Stocktons passing ability. loving ridiculous.

Stockton threads some needles in there but almost every team doubles him after the screen and leaves Malone open so it's the same pass over and over. Malone shot pretty well in the pick and pop too iirc (obviously he does in this highlight video but I think it carried generally), one wonders if he would have developed three point range if he played now. He could certainly finish through contact but drat those defenses give him a lot of space and time to set up after the pass. Their only strategy seems to have been fouling him after he went up, just awful.

Panzeh posted:

Watching the big man get lost because the NBA banned shading defense is the highlight of those clips for me.

Yeah. If they didn't run this as often as their rep suggests they ought to have, no one knew how to defend it and some of the right way to do it were illegal. Watching Rodman's face as he realizes he's frozen out in between them and Kerr died of a screen is almost sad.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Your daily reminder that former players still confuse hand-checking and hard fouls with actually playing good defense.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I miss Fred McLeod occasionally calling Pistons games.

boxcarhobo posted:

MJ's shitheaded-ness is like 5 tiers below most other owners in the league.

e: also please dont run off a Hornet Friend, there are so very few of us

You don't want Parm as one of your fellow fans

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Jack's Flow posted:

Your daily reminder that former players still confuse hand-checking and hard fouls with actually playing good defense.

Hand checking is good defense, it's just no longer legal.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I found this article written after game 2 of the 1998 finals. This supports with the idea that while the Jazz (who had the a top five offense almost every year in the 90s) were known as the pick and roll team, they ran the play far less than people remember, and far less than any team in 2016, who average 70 ball screens per game, and no team averages less than 40.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Kings commentary team is very good

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

dokmo posted:

I found this article written after game 2 of the 1998 finals. This supports with the idea that while the Jazz (who had the a top five offense almost every year in the 90s) were known as the pick and roll team, they ran the play far less than people remember, and far less than any team in 2016, who average 70 ball screens per game, and no team averages less than 40.

Would a Stockton/Malone duo in 2016 running a 2016 offense be better or worse?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

straight up brolic posted:

Kings commentary team is very good

I hadn't listened to them in a while until last night. They aren't bad at all.

Tho they did seem to have trouble understanding why McLemore, Lawson, Tolliver, Collison and Barnes were missing shots, which I found pretty funny

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

dokmo posted:

Well that brings up quality rather than volume. 41 pts in 25 possessions is 1.64 is a really really really good points per possessions yeah?

Hell even that 17/14 = 1.21 is pretty good

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kings announcers are great because Grant Napear barely is able to to hide any disgust he has for the team on the floor and Jerry is just a big country bumpkin who makes up stupid nicknames

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Not putting clippers on your worst announcers list makes it null and void imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RspAuYxpM8s

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

My favorite commentators are the ones for *my team* and my least favorite and the ones for *nationally popular and/or successful team*

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Malone was clearly a flawless roll man and had a solid jumper, and was capable of setting some Bogut esque screens. The question is whether Stockton could shoot as well from three as he did midrange (cause modern defenses are not giving up that free throw line jumper uncontested all the time) and if he could handle being iced constantly. I would bet yes on both, his form was great and he got doubled off of screens going inside all the time anyway.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

DeimosRising posted:

Malone was clearly a flawless roll man and had a solid jumper, and was capable of setting some Bogut esque screens. The question is whether Stockton could shoot as well from three as he did midrange (cause modern defenses are not giving up that free throw line jumper uncontested all the time) and if he could handle being iced constantly. I would bet yes on both, his form was great and he got doubled off of screens going inside all the time anyway.

John Stockton, good to very good shooter. Not a great shooter. Don't get me wrong. He was an all-time great player. But John Stockton would not be considered a great shooter

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah poor Raptors, they're in such a bad place.

yeah maybe this year they'll actually be a part of the conference finals graphics packages should they make it

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lessail posted:

yeah maybe this year they'll actually be a part of the conference finals graphics packages should they make it

Lol ok that's pretty funny

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Toronto Others sounds pretty cool

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

WhyteRyce posted:

Toronto Others sounds pretty cool

UFO logo or some type of cryptid?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Chairchucker posted:

I'm in love with Embiid.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

John Stockton, good to very good shooter. Not a great shooter. Don't get me wrong. He was an all-time great player. But John Stockton would not be considered a great shooter

There's some chicken and egg here though. Would Stockton be a great shooter if his offense featured the 3 point shot more, and training was more focused on that? He was generally in the top-25 or so of 3 pointers made while he was playing, which is pretty good. I guess I agree no great but you get modern offense and training to balance out modern defense and I think his shooting comes out looking better.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Lockback posted:

There's some chicken and egg here though. Would Stockton be a great shooter if his offense featured the 3 point shot more, and training was more focused on that? He was generally in the top-25 or so of 3 pointers made while he was playing, which is pretty good. I guess I agree no great but you get modern offense and training to balance out modern defense and I think his shooting comes out looking better.

Wow you agree with Mark Jackson. That's pretty hosed up.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I've gotten people here on two separate occasions with that quote

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Papercut posted:

Me nodding along to this list, nodding along, mmhmmm..... WTF SPURS?!?

Sean Elliot is the poor man's Reggie Miller.

There is not a way in which Sean Elliot is any where near as bad as Miller.

I can't believe Sean calling the other team the bad guys is actually a thing that bothers people. Almost every announcing team is home biased and Sean has fun with it, who cares? He actually knows a bit about other teams (a huge plus compared to some teams) and they're perfectly willing to give other teams props and aren't blind like the guys in Denver are.

The Denver guys shouldn't even have a job they're so bad.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

euphronius posted:

I'm in love with Embiid.

We should vote you into the allstar game

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lessail posted:

Reminds me of the Christmas package they made for OKC/MIN that was just 30 seconds of Russ.

Lockback posted:

There's some chicken and egg here though.

egg

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Rockets road games are fine now. Craig Ackerman is a good callermans, and without Bill around to egg him on, Air Bullard is OK aside from trying to show off that he understands charge rules every time that happens.

e: Also Calvin Murphy is underrated because nobody watches the local channel, but he does not hesitate to poo poo all over the Rockets when they play poorly

chunkles fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 29, 2016

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Paul Zuvella posted:

I see them as a perfect PNR ballhandler screener combo in that Stockton's passing and shooting were perfectly suited to modern offenses and Malone's screening, his ability to finish on dives, and his shooting would create the same problems as say Marc Gasol or Blake Griffin. One of the difference between those Utah teams and any random 2016 NBA team is that they didn't take a lot of threes, they used pick and roll entirely differently. I'm not sure how much of this is because of the rule set at the time, probably a lot of it. Maybe illegal defense rules (eg no zone D) made it so that perimeter defenders stuck to their guys even on the weakside so much they didn't give up open looks. But Utah used PNRs mostly as a two man play, either to get Stockton a good midrange look, or to hit Malone for the long jumper, whereas modern teams use pnrs for everything, to send rebounders to the rim, to set up a post entry, to set up a weakside three. Utah didn't do this back then.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have no doubt Malone could be a 35% or better three point shooter if his prime was now.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Bashez posted:

There is not a way in which Sean Elliot is any where near as bad as Miller.

I can't believe Sean calling the other team the bad guys is actually a thing that bothers people. Almost every announcing team is home biased and Sean has fun with it, who cares? He actually knows a bit about other teams (a huge plus compared to some teams) and they're perfectly willing to give other teams props and aren't blind like the guys in Denver are.

The Denver guys shouldn't even have a job they're so bad.

I'm a firm member of the anti-spurs alliance but I like when they call the opposing team the bad guys. It's funny

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/harrimilo/status/814563907914362880

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Chairchucker posted:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Ahem his name is Slamson

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Lockback posted:

If you're good enough to get to the ECF you are in a pretty good spot. You need some luck or guys catching fire but that can happen. Lots of people considered the Mavericks a tier below true contender the year they won it, even last year lots of people gave Cleveland no chance until GSW started looking vulnerable in the playoffs.

The last couple years have really proven that the NBA still has a ton of variance (even if it's not as much as NFL or whatever).

I get that, and this is an easy team to love, but bumping up against that ceiling is always going to be grating. And it would make dreaming just a little bit easier if Toronto could dent the big four of Cleveland, Golden State, LAC, and Sacramento.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

But right now they look like very strong favorites to make the ECF and they have 4 players 25 or younger that look really good in Ross, Jonas, Bebe and Powell.

Those dudes are cool, and good, but they don't seem to be the core of anything. There are times I wonder if the plan might even be to trade JV and go with Poeltl/Bebe long term.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
By W/L% since '86 it goes MINN, LAC, WAS, then the Nets

Minn is the only team under .400 they win the bad marathon

http://www.basketball-reference.com...&order_by_asc=Y

Lessail posted:

UFO logo or some type of cryptid?

A threatening figure wearing a Canadian flag balaclava (not as threatening to Canadians)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
https://twitter.com/Thanasis_ante43/status/814494277166362625
The Smoothie King needs to stick as a nickname.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
https://twitter.com/Giannis_An34/status/425376868334727168
https://twitter.com/Giannis_An34/status/434371995887611904
:patriot: History's Greatest American :patriot:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

EvanTH posted:

By W/L% since '86 it goes MINN, LAC, WAS, then the Nets

Minn is the only team under .400 they win the bad marathon

http://www.basketball-reference.com...&order_by_asc=Y

A threatening figure wearing a Canadian flag balaclava (not as threatening to Canadians)

From 80 to 2010 when LAC turned it around, they went .345 over 30 years. Griz were at .337 at that point but only over 14 years and with as many playoff appearances in half the time. Minny was at .407 over 20 years and had the Garnett team that made the conference finals, something the clippers have still never done afaik. GSW was next at .414. I assumed that post Barry pre Curry period was when he meant and the Warriors weren't even the best at being awful. If you didn't watch the NBA before 2010 (not sayin ya didn't I don't know!) it's hard to explain how axiomatic it was that the clippers were bad and would always be bad. It never really felt that it could be otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

That boy is a real crowd pleaser

• Locked thread