Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I've bought some covers that didn't even have records in them, sometimes it's worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Snowy posted:

I've bought some covers that didn't even have records in them, sometimes it's worth it

Same. I'm gonna post some of the good ones one of these days.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Snowy posted:

How is this not an actual thing yet? Screw waiting your turn getting the actual records pressed, just sell the covers directly. There's clearly a market for it.

I could see some shameless record store doing this as a side business.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

"Ever Feel Like Killing Your Boss?" is probably the best record cover. It has sand paper front and back, destroying the competition, wow!!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

david_a posted:

How is this not an actual thing yet? Screw waiting your turn getting the actual records pressed, just sell the covers directly. There's clearly a market for it.

I could see some shameless record store doing this as a side business.

One around here sells covers for $2.50 each. Pretty sure it's exclusively old albums, though, as in someone brings in a box of their dad's/grandad's vinyl and there's a Ventures cover without the joy of having a Ventures album inside it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

david_a posted:

A 20-something coworker literally does this. He buys like frames or whatever specifically for hanging them (I doubt he takes the record out though). I think he has a record player, but knowing him I can't imagine him actually going through the hassle of using it.

He sounds like a real piece of poo poo.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ya, if the vinyl plays and sounds good and isn't a piece of poo poo I plan on ripping it and including a CD with the vinyl and if not, it's purely decoration.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I buy records and rarely play them because it's easier to listen digitally + I use CDJs when I'm out. I also want to support the artist but want to feel like I have something tangible when I spend money on music.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
thanks for being part of the problem mike

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I listen to vinyl records on a turntable

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
listening to vinyl is a warmer more intimate experience and i'm sorry so many of you can't feel the difference

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
the idea of buying a record to display it while listening to the download code mp3s is like buying beautifully roasted coffee for your countertop but using a keurig every day

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

stay depressed posted:

the idea of buying a record to display it while listening to the download code mp3s is like buying beautifully roasted coffee for your countertop but using a keurig every day

This is pretty much me. Also I use generic off brand k-cups.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I always rip the records and listen to the rips. I do it because I could have never gotten the albums at full price, not because of the inherent superiority of a good stereo or MTM mastering. That, and a lot of the records I buy in junk stores etc. are still hard to get in digital format.

Heheh LTM mastering you goons, Laptop-to-metal mastering.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

rockinricky posted:

I guess it could be a good idea to complete that George Michael collection before prices go nuts. :(

Thanks for this tip, flipped like 20 for a few hundred this week already. If there's one good thing about celebs dying it's people realizing they have been missing out on enjoying their artwork in their original form.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
i like wilco and kompakt and anyone who gives you a CD with the LP

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

stay depressed posted:

should I buy one of those crosley portable turntables and set it up to listen to them at work? I'm in a pretty dusty and high vibration environment but if it will get me hipster-cred from internet strangers I can't not do it.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
you should re-read my post until you understand that it obviously doesn't apply to the situation you're describing but that would prevent you from jumping at the opportunity to call someone a hipster in the vinyl thread :rolleyes:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

stay depressed posted:

you should re-read my post until you understand that it obviously doesn't apply to the situation you're describing but that would prevent you from jumping at the opportunity to call someone a hipster in the vinyl thread :rolleyes:

can you get me a vocaroo of you reading it so I can do a limited run pressing with one of those fluid filled discs filled with feces, so I can never listen to it and hang it on my wall.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
if i did it would be the best thing you own by a mile

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I mostly listen to 90's era weird al and that poo poo is NOT affordably availble on vinyl.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
you can still get the UHF soundtrack

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

stay depressed posted:

you can still get the UHF soundtrack

that was released in 1989 nice try.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
If a band I liked ever gave me their music on a cd, I would spit in their face.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dissapointed Owl posted:

If a band I liked ever gave me their music on a cd, I would spit in their face.

It's like "thanks for the piece of trash, maybe I'll check out your poo poo on YouTube"

I know some people who are proud of their cd collections, I imagine them sitting there squinting to read liner notes while that beautiful sound washes over them

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Where do we stand on gramophones?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Gin and Juche posted:

Where do we stand on gramophones?

the only true pure recordings are once in a lifetime jam sessions recorded through one of these, no tape recording transfers to muddle the sound.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Snowy posted:

It's like "thanks for the piece of trash, maybe I'll check out your poo poo on YouTube"

I know some people who are proud of their cd collections, I imagine them sitting there squinting to read liner notes while that beautiful sound washes over them

According to Discogs I just passed 1000 CDs.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I have way more than 1000 CDs but I only log my Rush boots on discogs. So discogs only thinks I have like 6 CDs and a gold MFSL version of 2112.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
literally this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCumH8LRo1A&t=104s

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I'm way more effeminate tho

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
gently caress I'd kill for an Edison. Music the way it was meant to be heard.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I don't particularly like music.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Music is too mainstream for this thread

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Guitar feedback and synthesized handclaps are the closest things to music that I can stand.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I only listen to 75 bird calls

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I just have 500 copies of that record with that guy doing a John F Kennedy impression. I listen to it constantly.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

all of these jokes were in the 20 yr old mr show sketch already

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

etcetera08 posted:

all of these jokes were in the 20 yr old mr show sketch already

In this thread we take pride in outdated jokes that have already been run far into the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

SeXReX posted:

In this thread we take pride in outdated jokes that have already been run far into the ground

Why?