Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
How much of a system hog is it? I'm very tempted, but I'm not sure my laptop could run it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Loxbourne posted:

How much of a system hog is it? I'm very tempted, but I'm not sure my laptop could run it.

It's well-optimized, but I don't think the game supports laptop GPUs

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I have a hard time imagining Doomguy riding the train. Nowhere to walk, nothing to punch, nothing to shoot. I imagine he does a lot of impatient pacing.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Iceclaw posted:

As an aside, this game is about 60% off on steam. Massacring demons has never been so tempting.

Seconding that, though at this point I've got such a huge backlog I could never purchase a video game again and probably still have something new to play for a considerable chunk of my lifespan.

I find it oddly hilarious how enemies just explode into a pile of ammo when you cut them apart with the chainsaw...

White Coke
May 29, 2015
How would you envisage DOOM's version of the Black Tarot working Alexey? The Runes are pretty much like the Silver Tarot so how would you envision the Gold Tarot working?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
This is back

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Heck yeah!!! Glad it's back. Need more ripping and tearing in my life.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Gary Busey has a thing where he turns common words into acronyms, and the UAC abbreviation for "fear" sounds like something he might have come up with.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Do you reckon they added that "save your ammunition" line when they first built this scene, or did they add it in response to playtesters? Because I can't imagine anyone playing any amount of this game, listening to that voice demanding the Doom Guy care about Hell being his source of energy, and not immediately shooting that robot in its face the first time they see it.

Might seem like an odd question, but I always think about stuff that seems like a reaction to player antics and actions.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

get that OUT of my face posted:

Gary Busey has a thing where he turns common words into acronyms, and the UAC abbreviation for "fear" sounds like something he might have come up with.

They're called Buseyisms and he's coming out with a book, you know :v:

Also, Robo-Hayden sounds a lot like Admiral Hackettimus Prime. Darin De Paul really does sound like a mash up of Peter Weller and Lance Henrickson, or maybe it's just the distortion effect they put on his voice.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Do you think Samuel Hayden sounded like that as a human, or is it something he built into the robot? Would he have been as "cool" if he sounded like Louis Tully?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Right, finally managed to get and beat the game myself, so onto the LP!
Just, uh, thought you'd like to know. This really is the Doom the fans have been waiting for.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 29, 2016

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Thank you for the early Christmas gift Alexey.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
You know another thing I really appreciate about DOOM 2016? It never pulls any of that garbage that other FPS games, especially modern ones love, where every piece of transport you're on crashes, or where you're constantly overwhelmed by a single guy in a cutscene despite just butchering a horde of his comrades, or randomly stripped of your inventory after a similar situation, or arbitrarily captured. It's really staggering when you're watching other FPS LP's at the same time(Like Metro Last Light, where I think the protagonist has crashed literally every railcar he's been in and, despite being a superhuman stealth/killer guy, has been captured three or four times or otherwise thrown off his feet just by a guy hiding behind a door an equal number of times). It just gets so eye-rolling in some games.

Doomguy remains unstoppable and keeps on going where he's going, in charge of himself.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

White Coke posted:

Early Christmas gift? Are you an Orthodox Christian?

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Am I the only one who thought the pre-recorded spiel at the "employee of the month" area (or whatever that was) sounded a bit over-the-top with the cult-y terminology? I mean, come on, UAC, could you at least try to maintain the illusion of just being a regular, interplanetary megacorporation? You might as well just change the company's motto to, "UAC - just a front for a demon-worshiping cult."

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Apep727 posted:

Am I the only one who thought the pre-recorded spiel at the "employee of the month" area (or whatever that was) sounded a bit over-the-top with the cult-y terminology? I mean, come on, UAC, could you at least try to maintain the illusion of just being a regular, interplanetary megacorporation? You might as well just change the company's motto to, "UAC - just a front for a demon-worshiping cult."
Fairly sure that is completely intentional and played for laughs, the UAC has a very strong Scientology vibe in this game. Some of the UAC lore materials are completely amazing.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 29, 2016

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
No, no, you're missing the forest for the trees; The organisation as a whole is only a corporation using the very energies of Hell itself to produce, invent and research. The deeper we get into the UAC complex, the more overt references to powers of Hell and demon incursions creep in among the standard recordings of filing paperwork, meeting targets and avoiding horrible death. By the time we get to the room with the decorated employees, I think we're past the point where you might be sceptical, you probably have to be inducted into the cult to earn one of those awards anyway. And I assume we're heading to what would be the upper echelons of the Cult now (there's probably not much left bar Olivia), I hope there's some suitably satisfying hallowed ground or Church Of Hell we can stop by on our way.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I don't think it's entirely ridiculous. It's an isolated outpost in a barren, remote wasteland millions of miles away from Earth, it's not like the local school is sending field trips for educational tours. Nobody from outside the facility is going to wander in, and the cult is so ingrained that any outsiders that join the facility quickly get sorted out one way or another. The people at the top who could ootentially shut them down are either indifferent or actively encouraging them.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
And if someone did wander into a place they shouldn't, they'd probably get a sudden case of lead poisoning.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Notable that a data pad picked up in the same area is addressed to high-ranking employees/disciples. You probably don't get into the Advanced Research Complex without having drunk some Kool-aid.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

TheDarkFlame posted:

Do you reckon they added that "save your ammunition" line when they first built this scene, or did they add it in response to playtesters? Because I can't imagine anyone playing any amount of this game, listening to that voice demanding the Doom Guy care about Hell being his source of energy, and not immediately shooting that robot in its face the first time they see it.

Might seem like an odd question, but I always think about stuff that seems like a reaction to player antics and actions.

I think they knew it from the start. All past NPC interaction scenes were behind indestructible Plot Glass™ so they knew that they were dealing with a player that has no meaningful interaction with the world short of shooting at it. That scene is literally the only scene in the game that I can think of where the player has immediate access to the NPC. If anything, they probably started with him behind glass too until they felt that it contributed too much at making him look like the bad guy.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Straight White Shark posted:

I don't think it's entirely ridiculous. It's an isolated outpost in a barren, remote wasteland millions of miles away from Earth, it's not like the local school is sending field trips for educational tours.

Are you suggesting that watching the Doom Slayer dispose of demons isn't a highly educational experience?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Fairly sure that is completely intentional and played for laughs, the UAC has a very strong Scientology vibe in this game. Some of the UAC lore materials are completely amazing.

The documentary on this game pretty much says yes on this. Basically the deeper you get into the place the more likely youll meet a guy whos openly going to talk about how he is the next demon host for a baron of hell and its going to be wonderful. They are supposed to be crazy and they dont realise it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Iretep posted:

The documentary on this game pretty much says yes on this. Basically the deeper you get into the place the more likely youll meet a guy whos openly going to talk about how he is the next demon host for a baron of hell and its going to be wonderful. They are supposed to be crazy and they dont realise it.
The one that really stayed with me was the instructions on what to do in case of a demon attack but I think we'll find those much later in the game. Point is, UAC is over-the-top, tongue-in-cheek, cartoonishly evil and that's easily the best possible way to handle the Doom story.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 29, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It seems perfectly obvious the closer you get to hell, the more staff you'll meet.

Hell is other people, after all.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

The one that really stayed with me was the instructions on what to do in case of a demon attack but I think we'll find those much later in the game. Point is, UAC is over-the-top, tongue-in-cheek, cartoonishly evil and that's easily the best possible way to handle the Doom story.

Apparently they got a bit of inspiration from the movie the last boy scout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_tYaSK8otY

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
If you haven't watched the documentary on this, I'd highly recommend it - really enjoyed the thing and couldn't help but get excited for the game again after watching:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-THgg8QnvU4TMnDoFcI-vtJKwP2oLgyH

I can't remember if it was linked in here or in Temins thread, but there you go!

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Early Christmas gift? Are you an Orthodox Christian?

No, I was raised Episcopalian, I was just trying to humor Alexey. Alexey is Russian right?

Anyway, when that hologram of Hayden and Olivia shows up Olivia mentions needing more people for their faith to Hayden. How widespread was the Hell worship at UAC? Hayden clearly doesn't buy into it, but was everyone directly below him a true believer, or was the faith just limited to Olivia and the people working for her?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I've mentioned Metroid Prime as a point of comparison with Doom 2016 before, but I'm about to do it again. I like how both games mock the enemies that you're fighting, sort of like how Mel Brooks portrayed Nazis. In MP1, they play up how stupid and shortsighted the Space Pirates can be in their plans for galactic domination- they mutilate themselves in an attempt to re-create the Morph Ball and their answer to powering up things is "just give it more Phazon." In this game, the UAC is cultish to the point of ridiculousness. When you hear their corporate propaganda and especially when it comes to the levels of employee, it's like you're fighting a Satanic version of Scientology.

It's the little details in this game that make it great.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

goons posted:

Hayden things
I honestly don't know if it were always like this. When I played this originally, before any updates were released, I didn't react fast enough to try and shoot him before the game put my guns away

goons posted:

Cult things
The way I see it, the "faith" is Olivia and her followers, but the UAC at large is well aware of it and uses it to advance their... research. At least that's how I understood it

Zain posted:

Heck yeah!!! Glad it's back. Need more ripping and tearing in my life.

anilEhilated posted:

Right, finally managed to get and beat the game myself, so onto the LP!
Just, uh, thought you'd like to know. This really is the Doom the fans have been waiting for.

White Coke posted:

RIP
AND
TEAR

auzdark posted:

If you haven't watched the documentary on this, I'd highly recommend it - really enjoyed the thing and couldn't help but get excited for the game again after watching:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-THgg8QnvU4TMnDoFcI-vtJKwP2oLgyH

I can't remember if it was linked in here or in Temins thread, but there you go!

This is great and I wish I learned of this sooner
I should also catch up on Temin's thread :v:

White Coke posted:

No, I was raised Episcopalian, I was just trying to humor Alexey. Alexey is Russian right?

Anyway, when that hologram of Hayden and Olivia shows up Olivia mentions needing more people for their faith to Hayden. How widespread was the Hell worship at UAC? Hayden clearly doesn't buy into it, but was everyone directly below him a true believer, or was the faith just limited to Olivia and the people working for her?

I'm Russian, yes. It's actually an early New Years gift, because that's when gifts are given in the former Soviet Union, as opposed to either of the two Christmases
Fun fact: the Russian Orthodox Church is actually really similar to the UAC

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yes
Yes they are

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Alexeythegreat posted:

Does that make the Russian government the demons?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

Does that make the Russian government the demons?

The Russian government is marginally better.
Emphasis on "marginally"

We are in need of a doomguy (nothing else'll work, not to get too D&D here, but Russia has never not been a police state, and I don't think it will ever stop being one)

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Happy New Year :tfrxmas:

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 30, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Holy poo poo the trick you used to reach the lever. :stare:

I didn't use In-Flight Mobility for that, I had to try making really sketchy jumps from the highest "pillar" in that area... which led to having to retry the area a whole lot of times.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Alexeythegreat posted:

But the higher-ups in the UAC don't have ridiculously awesome facial hair. They do have more women, though.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

C'mon Alexy, the shaft had a very important purpose. It was to serve as a sex machine to all the chicks.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm surprised by how little you're jumping sometimes. I always feel like jumping was one of the game's great joys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
You are much better at this game than me but I would not be doing my job as some random rear end in a top hat on the internet if I didn't tell you that a carefully placed jump and rocket (as distinct from rocket jump) from that rocket launcher you rarely use turns Your Worst Enemy into a baby-backed chump.

• Locked thread