Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

kastein posted:

I would recommend some sort of a rear brake circuit shutoff, so at least when it fails you can panic, flip the shutoff, and brake with the front wheels? (Or is there any chance a dual circuit master out of the van bolts to the truck, given GM's laziness?)

If it's a question of mostly useless (or going to fail) rear brakes or no rear brakes I'd stick a bolt in the master cylinder outlet going to the rear. Did that on a friends truck to get it home. Not ideal but better than no brakes at all or pissing fluid every time you hit the pedal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Possibly fatal at this stage roadblock. Brake pedal hits the manifold. No brakes at all.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
Fluid leaking anywhere?
Or maybe more bleeding needed? That's a lot of truck for stubborn air pockets

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

treizebee posted:

Fluid leaking anywhere?
Or maybe more bleeding needed? That's a lot of truck for stubborn air pockets

No i think he is saying the pedal travel is impeded by the manifold somehow. The pedal isnt travelling far enough to do anything before something bottoms out.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Perhaps the Van or W-body master cylinder is shorter?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Possibly fatal at this stage roadblock. Brake pedal hits the manifold. No brakes at all.

Oh, for gently caress's sake.
Those have the master under the cab, right?
poo poo, I don't see a way around that without either moving the engine over, or bending the pedal arm, but then it will probably run into the steering column.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
I'm sure with a medium truck like this, that's this old nothing will quickly bolt up. Especially if the brakes are single circuit, everything will be different. You can adapt fittings and whatnot, but only so much.

That being said, with the gearing this truck has, engine braking will be a real thing. You might not find you need *that* much in the way of brakes. Definitely have some brakes though. Can you post a picture of what you're working with?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Oh jesus gently caress I didn't even think about that :sigh:

I'm used to the master being up on the firewall and valvecover clearance being more of a concern.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The pedal is on a radius arm. The pedal arm hits the manifold to the tune of a half inch or so

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Manifold hammer time?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

14 BAR RIFF posted:

There are no fatal roadblocks. Only situations that have not had Motronic's weigh-in on them yet.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

angryrobots posted:

Manifold hammer time?

Dave beat the gently caress out of the manifold!

Timbo
Jun 18, 2005

He was just another drifter who broke the law!
Can you shim the rod to gain any clearance. Like an off set angle?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Dan and I have evaluated the situation. We are at the point where nothing proceeds on the truck until an exit strategy is confirmed. I got the Daytona to crank once then the battery died. Charging the battery now. If the Daytona fails me I ride with Dan to a bus stop. If the Daytona lives we have two options.

Option A. Head home. I did my loving best and the last two days have had a massive push.

Option B. Ask for goon indulgence yet again to weather the weekend out. Issues with B, I'd say an honest minimal but possible chance of victory. But mid week the weather is turning nasty as gently caress again and the Daytona really needs at least 2 tires, 4 would be best. I won't be able to leave if the weather hits hard and the truck doesn't move and I'm on metaphoric life support in town. I'm willing to make the effort if people support it but I can't promise guaranteed victory so it may just wind up delaying the inevitable, reducing the end work Sims would need to do in the future, and still heading home.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

They're cast, so hammering might not be the best option. But a potential solution has been found.

But first, we must put our faith into some 80s Mopar.

Truly extraordinary times in which we live.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

ExplodingSims posted:

Why does this trouble me more than anything else so far

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Doesn't the Dodge have a timing belt?

Not really sure how much I'd trust that if it's been sitting awhile...

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Doesn't the Dodge have a timing belt?

Not really sure how much I'd trust that if it's been sitting awhile...

There's a little book in the glove boz that says it was done a couple thousand miles before dan got it

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

14 BAR RIFF posted:

There's a little book in the glove boz that says it was done a couple thousand miles before dan got it

Time matters too. Got a date in there?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

:gonk:

:f5::f5::f5:

What are the plans to get fastback to Seattle? I think the Xmas video said tow it behind the truck to Florida, but that's a thousand miles in the wrong direction, although that implies it's almost in running condition to return Dave home if we have to abandoned ship?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

14 BAR RIFF posted:

We are at the point where nothing proceeds on the truck until an exit strategy is confirmed.

That's the antithesis of this thread. Get the truck to Florida. Goons will get you home, if nothing else. Do not lose sight of your entire purpose of the last six weeks.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

80s Mopars are hit or miss, if it was running any time recently it's probably one of the good ones that will run forever. The 2.2 is a tank, it's got oil squirters for the pistons and everything. If it stops running suddenly or won't start just beat on the gas tank a little and the fuel pump will start working again. Sucks that the timing belt is possibly old but it's a non interference emgine so if it does break it's inconvenient but not catastrophic.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Worst case we can loot the sound chip from the dashboard and make it say "PENIS" over and over again. The resulting YouTube ad money will pay for a Chinook extraction flight.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

ExplodingSims posted:

They're cast, so hammeringgrinding might not be the best option.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

We talked about that. The solution seems to be to cut off the last hole on the manifold and run without the last hole.

Although Dave said it might not be possible to get the manifolds off with the sheet metal on? He didn't answer that question

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Crotch Fruit posted:

What are the plans to get fastback to Seattle? I think the Xmas video said tow it behind the truck to Florida, but that's a thousand miles in the wrong direction, although that implies it's almost in running condition to return Dave home if we have to abandoned ship?

Fastback 2 is in production hell. Right now the studio is working on Daytona: A Mopar Story.

E: Dave, you do realize, if the Daytona runs, you are going to have to keep it alive forever.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Worst case we can loot the sound chip from the dashboard and make it say "PENIS" over and over again. The resulting YouTube ad money will pay for a Chinook extraction flight.

Think bigger. There's a great movie begging to be made out of this thread.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Seminal Flu posted:

That's the antithesis of this thread. Get the truck to Florida. Goons will get you home, if nothing else. Do not lose sight of your entire purpose of the last six weeks.

Dan leaves tomorrow. We have below 0 temps coming back around Wednesday. The house will be locked tomorrow. If I don't have a vehicle to shuttle me to and from the motel, it takes about an hour to walk to town with no shelter and carrying all supplies in truly dangerous temperature and weather conditions. No amount of willpower or tough love will overcome these issues.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

INCH DICK: NEBRASKA ROAD as narrated by a 1988 Dodge Daytona?

poo poo, I'd watch it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Dan leaves tomorrow. We have below 0 temps coming back around Wednesday. The house will be locked tomorrow. If I don't have a vehicle to shuttle me to and from the motel, it takes about an hour to walk to town with no shelter and carrying all supplies in truly dangerous temperature and weather conditions. No amount of willpower or tough love will overcome these issues.

Wednesday is almost a week away. A couple days of walking will pay off way more than walking away from the entire focus.

Screw the brakes -- does it run? Does it move forward? If you have those things, you can make it work.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Seminal Flu posted:

Wednesday is almost a week away. A couple days of walking will pay off way more than walking away from the entire focus.

Screw the brakes -- does it run? Does it move forward? If you have those things, you can make it work.

Dude, chill. 14's call, he's one one freezing his balls off, and it's calling for single digit highs with 20mph winds by early next week in Valentine. That poo poo'll kill you if you don't respect it.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I'm going to go against the thread, but I think you need to hear someone say it, to give you "permission" I guess. I'd start planning to go home man. You've done a tremendous job and it sucks to give up this close to the finish line, but no one wants you to die out there. Even if the daytona works to ferry you back and forth, you can't work in permafrost indefinitely.

Go home, recuperate (how many times have you been near-death since this thing started?), and hopefully by spring the thunderhorse will be doable. But for now, your health is more important. Look at it this way, the truck isn't going anywhere without you.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Trust me, I want to see this completed more than anyone. I really want this to be done, basically 14": Biturbo :: Me : truck

But I can't ask 14" to kill himself over this. A man can only be pushed so far.

That being said, I'm really gonna be disappointed if the last problem can be solved by cutting the msnifold, but time runs out.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'd be going home in your position, TBH. The plains are loving brutal in the winter, that poo poo will kill you dead just like it freezes cows solid.

Literally no one expected this pedal roadblock, or the rear brake issues, or half the other poo poo that went wrong - like greybeard forums saying everything fits great if you just do a few minor adjustments. You've already put in a heroic amount of custom work with just your wits and what random stuff is lying around and are going to end up driving this thing in the great plains in the winter, which is foolhardy even if it does get moving - if you get stranded between major towns you could pretty easily die of exposure.

I hate to say it but I would scrub till less inhospitable weather comes along, or rather, assume you're flying/busing home and do whatever you can in the meantime to button it up and make it survive a winter without ending up full of rust and water. You've already made it way loving further than the last AI V8 swap that was attempted far from home. Maybe shoot for a victory lap around the yard, sans brakes?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Liquid Communism posted:

Dude, chill. 14's call, he's one one freezing his balls off, and it's calling for single digit highs with 20mph winds by early next week in Valentine. That poo poo'll kill you if you don't respect it.

I live in the midwest. I know cold. I also know that relying on forecasts a week out is folly. The forecast for at least the next three days is above freezing.

It's 14's call, true. I'm just trying to keep the call from being one that will result in instant regret.

Edit: That's why I was tying to focus on progress weeks ago and you guys gave me poo poo for it. As the adage says "if good intentions were horses, then beggars would ride."

Further edit: I think I may want to see this happen more then sims does. I inserted myself into the whole 14" arc way more than I wanted to be. Since then, I have wanted nothing more than for Dave to find something and thrive at it. It was so close here, but I bit my tongue at all the fuckery, thinking that the job would still get done. I don't think it will now, but I'm clinging to that hope.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 30, 2016

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Time to pack 'er up. There's no time. Even if you figure out the pedal and the brakes, who knows what gremlins lie in the electrical. Nothing's tested. Focus on the Daytona and on getting home to you cat.

This has been incredible...and don't tell anyone but I always thought the wheels would end up killing you.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just go home man, then go back to Nebraska if you can in the summer and finish it out. There's no reason for you to continue pushing on, like you said just delaying the inevitable at this point. This is a weather permitting project and it's just not permitting right now, and probably won't for the for the next six months. Go home and regroup, then go back in the summer guns blazing.

[e] maybe spring if summer is like death valley in Valentine :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I definitely agree that it would be a more agreeable case if you spent the last couple days winterizing the truck and going home until spring, there's nothing to be gained by risking frigid goon death just to maybe get the truck running. It'll still be there in a few months, right?

• Locked thread