Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The worst part is there's zero reason to do the "star" puzzles unless you can power through all of them because there's no partial rewards.

Yes there are? Every 10 stars you collect gives you access to an extra world with three new puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eternal Hobo
Nov 7, 2008
Golf with Your Friends any good? I've had it in my wish list as a potential multiplayer game but I'm not sure if it's worth the investment.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

NRVNQSR posted:

Yes there are? Every 10 stars you collect gives you access to an extra world with three new puzzles.

To what end though? You need all 30 to unlock all 3 messenger islands and you need to complete all three of them to get the ending.

I guess if having an extra incomplete stump of a story possibility is an end in and of itself, knock yourself out, but if you're looking at the stars with an eye to what they're ultimately driving toward, 29 stars is as good as 0.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Eternal Hobo posted:

Golf with Your Friends any good? I've had it in my wish list as a potential multiplayer game but I'm not sure if it's worth the investment.

local multiplayer doesn't get better than Drawful 2.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

To what end though? You need all 30 to unlock all 3 messenger islands and you need to complete all three of them to get the ending.

I guess if having an extra incomplete stump of a story possibility is an end in and of itself, knock yourself out, but if you're looking at the stars with an eye to what they're ultimately driving toward, 29 stars is as good as 0.

Accessing more areas and more puzzles is a reward in itself for most players; if it's not a reward for you then you should probably be watching a Let's Play instead of playing the game. Sure, the story and writing are good, but they're not so good that you should play a game you don't enjoy to get them. When I recommend the game I'm absolutely recommending it as a game, the story is a bonus.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

You can get puzzles on par with the stuff in Talos for like a buck 50 with the words "pixel" somewhere in the title. Hell, they'd be more accurate given how many beam puzzles are pixel hunts for the tiniest little patch of ground where a splitter can connect multiple sockets.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

The controller is really controversial you will either love it or hate it. The Steam link reportedly sucks on wifi so make sure you can plug it in to ethernet. Other than that you've made good choices.

Personal anecdote on that note: I have my main gaming rig in the basement on AC wifi, and the SteamLink plugged directly to the router on the first floor. I have zero problems with fidelity, controller response, whatever.

I suspect wifi to wifi would be worse, and I've never tested the other way around, but...maybe this applies to your setup to, and will be helpful.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 30, 2016

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I was interested in Serpent In The Staglands but it seems even grognards have problems with it.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Thanks so much for all the anime game recommendations, goons. I'm popping a few in my wishlist so I can grab them in the future. For this sale though this is what I'm looking at so far:

Phantom Breaker (looks fun, and at $2.39 how can you go wrong?)
Momodora: Reverie
Rabi-Ribi
Ys Origin

Question: there's a phantom breaker DLC pack that adds Kurisu Makise and raises the level cap to 99. That seems like a good buy. Is it worth it? (Only $1.19)

Also, I still feel like I have room for an additional $10~$20 purchase. There have been some good suggestions in that price range, and there are some old standbys I've never played. Here are the games on my short list:

1. Godeater 2. People compare this favorably to monster hunter and I've never played a monster hunter game. It doesn't look as slick as Monster Hunter though. This is one I'm seriously considering as the discount seems good.
2. Devil May Cry Remake/3/4. Never played a DMC game. If this is the game to get, which one should I grab?
3. Hyperdimension V-II. A turn based RPG even though I'm thinking of action games. Is this one grindy?
4. Fairy Fencer F. This also looks turn based but seems like a reasonable buy for $10.
5. Attack on Titan. At $35.99 this is the most expensive game I'm considering, but it seems well-liked. I like the Musou games.
6. (God help me I'm still thinking of) Senran Kagura. The sex stuff is horrible and gratuitous, but it looks like it has some pretty fun, flashy beat-em-up gameplay. At least it does when I watch seemingly skilled people on the internet play it.

Help me out goons. Alternatively I could pick up Dying Light as my expensive purchase this sale season. People were really gushing over that one a few pages back.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

You can get puzzles on par with the stuff in Talos for like a buck 50 with the words "pixel" somewhere in the title. Hell, they'd be more accurate given how many beam puzzles are pixel hunts for the tiniest little patch of ground where a splitter can connect multiple sockets.

We'll have to agree to disagree there.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I found Dying Lights expansion pack to be incredibly tedious. Just because you give me a vehicle doesn't mean its ok to put the objective on the other end of the map.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

James Woods Fan posted:

I found Dying Lights expansion pack to be incredibly tedious. Just because you give me a vehicle doesn't mean its ok to put the objective on the other end of the map.

In it's...defense? Dying Light already did that a bunch

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Fairy Fencer's keyboard controls are really weird and don't seem changeable, if you're playing with that.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Gameko posted:

1. Godeater 2. People compare this favorably to monster hunter and I've never played a monster hunter game. It doesn't look as slick as Monster Hunter though. This is one I'm seriously considering as the discount seems good.
2. Devil May Cry Remake/3/4. Never played a DMC game. If this is the game to get, which one should I grab?
6. (God help me I'm still thinking of) Senran Kagura. The sex stuff is horrible and gratuitous, but it looks like it has some pretty fun, flashy beat-em-up gameplay. At least it does when I watch seemingly skilled people on the internet play it.

Godeater 2 is a fun game. It's simpler and faster than Monster Hunter, with less weapon variety, but it does have more depth than it initially appears when you start thanks to blood arts and the bullet customization system. It's also very flashy, with huge attacks that send you across the screen and a lot of acrobatic maneuvers. It's certainly worth a try at least.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition is the one you want, it's very deep and very flashy, people love that game for a reason. DMC 3 would be the better game if the port wasn't complete garbage, there's a mod that helps but IMO it still isn't spectacular.

I tried Senran Kagura on the 3DS, I found it lackluster and boring in pretty much every way. Maybe the one on PC is better, but I sort of doubt it.

Trick Question fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 30, 2016

Tsunami Redux
Jan 18, 2008
Big thanks to Zaphiel for gifting me A good snowman is hard to build!

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
what are some good roguelites that have a permanent aspect to them. i have isaac, rogue legacy, and darkest dungeon

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Relin posted:

what are some good roguelites that have a permanent aspect to them. i have isaac, rogue legacy, and darkest dungeon

Dungeonmans! You spend the entire game upgrading your academ.....wait, you said roguelites.

Uh.

Deathstate? Twin stick shooter, based more on dodging, you unlock... unlockables as you play. It's cool!

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Sunless Sea lets you pass on an inheritance (your choice of a few options) to your next run after you get driven insane and eaten by a mutant eel.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Relin posted:

Nuclear throne is really loving good and has unlockable characters, crowns, and starting weapons. They don't make you much more powerful, but they do make things more interesting. Maybe my favorite game on steam, or at least in my top three.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Gameko posted:

3. Hyperdimension V-II. A turn based RPG even though I'm thinking of action games. Is this one grindy?
4. Fairy Fencer F. This also looks turn based but seems like a reasonable buy for $10.

Help me out goons. Alternatively I could pick up Dying Light as my expensive purchase this sale season. People were really gushing over that one a few pages back.

I recommended #3/4 because they lack the grind that is typical of JRPGs and especially of CH/IF games. The only grinding you do is for optional content. They are both a little tongue in cheek and not very serious writing wise either so its lighthearted fun.

As for the Senran Kagura game, if have a PS4/Vita there is an OK one on sale on the PS Store (Estival Versus). The one on PC is terrible and I refunded it. The same company also made 2 games in the Neptunia series (Action Unleashed and Blanc vs Zombies). If you really want an anime beat em up you could check out Onechanbara I guess.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Picked up Dying Light and so far I'm having a blast parkouring over zombies. Scratches my Open World itch pretty well.

Can anyone recommend a good management/sim sort of game? Or a life sim sort of game, I guess.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
Any opinions on Hard West?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

psychopomp posted:

Can anyone recommend a good management/sim sort of game? Or a life sim sort of game, I guess.

Rimworld is great. So is Prison Architect if you want to avoid EA.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

psychopomp posted:

Picked up Dying Light and so far I'm having a blast parkouring over zombies. Scratches my Open World itch pretty well.

Really depends on what you want, there's a lot of variety in that particular genre. I enjoy Tropico - you play as a banana republic dictator and have to make money while not getting murdered by rebels or a coup. Good, satirical writing with a lot of depth and difficulty options. Great music. Both five and four are good - four has more building options and is more open about how you build your island, while five has more structure and actual difficulty.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Squiggle posted:

In it's...defense? Dying Light already did that a bunch

You're right. I guess I wasn't sick of it until I got to the expac.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

Rimworld is great. So is Prison Architect if you want to avoid EA.

Rimworld is on my wishlist, but not on sale. Prison Architect I have, but I haven't played it since its early greenlight days.

Trick Question posted:

Really depends on what you want, there's a lot of variety in that particular genre. I enjoy Tropico - you play as a banana republic dictator and have to make money while not getting murdered by rebels or a coup. Good, satirical writing with a lot of depth and difficulty options. Great music. Both five and four are good - four has more building options and is more open about how you build your island, while five has more structure and actual difficulty.

I remember enjoying the first. Couldn't really get into 3, for some reason.

I did enjoy GameDev Tycoon and Mad Games Tycoon. And Movies, back in the day. Is there anything out there like Movies? Not necessarily film industry, just in terms of general feel.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Gameko posted:

Question: there's a phantom breaker DLC pack that adds Kurisu Makise and raises the level cap to 99. That seems like a good buy. Is it worth it? (Only $1.19)

Also, I still feel like I have room for an additional $10~$20 purchase. There have been some good suggestions in that price range, and there are some old standbys I've never played. Here are the games on my short list:

The Makise dlc is worth it since all the characters play a bit differently and you'll hit the level cap (I think 50?) if you ever decide to replay the game on a harder difficulty with the same character. Basically you carry over your levels and unlocked abilities for a new game plus.

God Eater 2 also comes with the first game for what it's worth.

DMC3 pc version is busted. DMC4 Special Edition is the one to get if you're looking for pc DMC. The DMC re-imagining or whatever it's called is more button-mashy than the mainline DMC games and a bit easier. It's okay but it's probably more known for being "edgy" in a really lmao way.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 30, 2016

Plastic Goldbaby
Sep 8, 2010

Purple horseshoes?
Sure, if they be nailed to a golden horse.
I'm sure many already know this, but for those that don't know you can get extra discounts on certain games if they are included in a bundle and you already own some or most of the items in the bundle. For instance, there is a Borderlands bundle with all of the games + dlc for the first one. If you own all of those except Tales, you can buy the bundles and get that game at the bundle discount without having to pay for the other items. This also erases the problem for a lot of games with DLC bundles if you just own the base game and want to snag the dlc at a low price. Pretty freaking neato.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

OAquinas posted:

Thinking about doing this batch. Any of these terribad (including the controller)?
Also looking at "The Turing Test" but it sounds pretty short.

I just got the steam controller and I like it a heck of a lot. Some games have native support, a lot more have official bindings made by the devs and the rest have community bindings. I never thought I would play system shock 2 on the couch and it's amazing.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, shoot: assuming I don't go full hog on Civ V's expansions/DLC, what's the key ones I want? I have the base game and it sunk its hook into me for at least an hour and now I want a better experience.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, shoot: assuming I don't go full hog on Civ V's expansions/DLC, what's the key ones I want? I have the base game and it sunk its hook into me for at least an hour and now I want a better experience.

Gods and Kings and Brave New World will give you huge gameplay improvements and new features. Those two are both essential and totally worth it. Babylon, Spain & Inca, Polynesia, Denmark, the Mongols, and Korea are Civs available as DLC, which may or may not interest you.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Gods & Kings and Brave New World are the 2 expansions and worth picking up for what they add and fix. Everything else is map packs and new cultures to play as (which you can probably find on the Workshop for free anyway).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

El Generico posted:

Gods and Kings and Brave New World will give you huge gameplay improvements and new features. Those two are both essential and totally worth it. Babylon, Spain & Inca, Polynesia, Denmark, the Mongols, and Korea are Civs available as DLC, which may or may not interest you.

Furnaceface posted:

Gods & Kings and Brave New World are the 2 expansions and worth picking up for what they add and fix. Everything else is map packs and new cultures to play as (which you can probably find on the Workshop for free anyway).

Perfect, thank you both!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I mean, I didn't mind the driving in Dying Light DLC because running down zombies and exploding them with electric fields never got old for me

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you buy a bundle, like a franchise pack or whatever, and save it as a gift for later, do you get all of those individual games in your inventory for later or just the bundle as a single entity? In other words, could I buy, say, the Total War bundle and give Rome II to friend A, Shogun 2 to friend B, add Viking to my own library, and so on, or would I just have this "Total War Series" sitting in my inventory?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Thanks for the rogue suggestions.

Trick Question posted:

Nuclear throne is really loving good and has unlockable characters, crowns, and starting weapons. They don't make you much more powerful, but they do make things more interesting. Maybe my favorite game on steam, or at least in my top three.
I'm sure it's worth it but a little disappointing it hasn't gone on sale in the three years it's been out

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Addamere posted:

If you buy a bundle, like a franchise pack or whatever, and save it as a gift for later, do you get all of those individual games in your inventory for later or just the bundle as a single entity? In other words, could I buy, say, the Total War bundle and give Rome II to friend A, Shogun 2 to friend B, add Viking to my own library, and so on, or would I just have this "Total War Series" sitting in my inventory?

Pretty sure it just becomes one item.

e: https://steamdb.info/sub/51362/ and https://dispenser.tf/market/8944/ showing it's traded as one single item.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

I bought ocean horn on ps4 when it came out. I was so excited that it looks like a zelda clone. Sadly the puzzles aren't hard , the combat isn't complex at all. And by the time I reached the magic abilitys I lost interest.

I played for 40 minutes and decided to refund it. One goon said the controls were awkward and I somewhat agree. What I couldn't get over was how loud certain sounds were versus others. When I jumped down from a ledge it sounded like the sound was recorded in a different manner than other noises, just jarring. The music was pretty good.

The combat though, I agree with you. Too simple and the animations look lame. Whoever pointed out that it's a port of an IOS game didn't really need to do so because it's pretty obvious after playing for a bit. Thankfully my girlfriend got me the newest Zelda game for the 3DS because this game was disappointing.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Relin posted:

I'm sure it's worth it but a little disappointing it hasn't gone on sale in the three years it's been out
It's one of those games by a dev that doesn't believe in sales.

I didn't really find it had much in the way of unlocks until you were pretty good at the game though. I think I unlocked two items before I got sick of it, and maybe half the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Relin posted:

Thanks for the rogue suggestions.

:doh:I just assumed it would be on sale. My mistake!

• Locked thread