Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Kea posted:

So someone on Imgur posted up this rather rough and ready retropi handheld. It is not good.

http://imgur.com/gallery/sBFlA

At least nothing of value was lost. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

XYZ posted:

At least nothing of value was lost. :v:

Cant possibly get worse battery life.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Kea posted:

Xbox 360 controller dpad is making me hate my life however.

I received a Logitech F310 for Xmas, and while the "microswitch" dpad (it isn't really, but sorta behaves like one) performs better than the x360, the overall build quality of the device is far worse. Pick your poison.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Ofecks posted:

I received a Logitech F310 for Xmas, and while the "microswitch" dpad (it isn't really, but sorta behaves like one) performs better than the x360, the overall build quality of the device is far worse. Pick your poison.

On a similar note, I recently tried my new PS4's DS4 on the PC, and it has a really nice D-Pad, and is overall extremely good. I noticed that the PC treats the d-pad as a hat switch with discrete diagonal inputs, so keep that in mind when you're binding inputs. (In SNES9x I had to bind the diagonals before they'd work properly in games. SMW is surprisingly difficult without them!)

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Ofecks posted:

One of these days I might try and mod in the stick from a broken NGPC to another controller, I love that thing.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

After about a month of waiting I finally got my battery replacement from the local retro shop

I really try to cut them slack cause they're a tiny operation and I put a lot of stock in supporting local businesses but COME ON man

It was enough to put me off of buying the Kirby Super Star cart they'd gotten in

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zonekeeper posted:

On a similar note, I recently tried my new PS4's DS4 on the PC, and it has a really nice D-Pad, and is overall extremely good. I noticed that the PC treats the d-pad as a hat switch with discrete diagonal inputs, so keep that in mind when you're binding inputs. (In SNES9x I had to bind the diagonals before they'd work properly in games. SMW is surprisingly difficult without them!)

IIRC, that's a holdover from when controllers on PC's were just for flight sims. Digital directional input is defined as a hat switch, though most software is smart enough to know that if you're pressing both the down and the left at the same time then you want the diagonal.

Speaking of dead batteries, I've got a DK '94 with a dead battery I've been meaning to replace. What's a good pick for replacing GB batteries?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

IIRC, that's a holdover from when controllers on PC's were just for flight sims. Digital directional input is defined as a hat switch, though most software is smart enough to know that if you're pressing both the down and the left at the same time then you want the diagonal.

Speaking of dead batteries, I've got a DK '94 with a dead battery I've been meaning to replace. What's a good pick for replacing GB batteries?

Surprised SNES9x made me bind them, in that case. Most other emulators I've used have never required it, so it threw me off.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Ofecks posted:

The newer revisions of the Xbox One pad literally are microswitched, and has great build quality.

You can also buy a Buffalo SNES pad or any of the 8bitdo controllers.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
How is Retropie display options with shaders/output/etc? I'm really considering building a raspberrypi emulator console considering how hard it is to get the Mini NES Classic.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Zonekeeper posted:

Surprised SNES9x made me bind them, in that case. Most other emulators I've used have never required it, so it threw me off.

SNES9x is not a great piece of software, it's kind of dated so it requiring you to bind the diagonals doesn't surprise me.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

SNES9x is not a great piece of software, it's kind of dated so it requiring you to bind the diagonals doesn't surprise me.

Funny thing is that on pads that map the d-pad to the X and Y axis (such as the Buffalo SNES pad) it handles diagonals just fine without having to bind them. The issue seems to be specific to hat switches.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
In the interests of entertainment I bought a $2.63 SNES USB controller, I look forward to how absolutely awful it is. Speaking of which im pretty tempted by one of the 8bitdo controllers, though I may just settle for a Buffalo Snes controller instead.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Kea posted:

Cant possibly get worse battery life.

He'd have to put it in a Nomad for that. :v:

please don't gut a nomad

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Thanks for the gamepad suggestions. I will keep those in mind for when the Logitech dpad starts sticking directions (like the NES Advantage pic posted a while back). That's what killed my last one.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

flyboi posted:

Jesus I don't even want to ask how much that set you back. Also I never got to be :smug: back during Windjammers chat

Who wants to come over?! We got grape kool aid and corndogs! Too bad the smuggo is less smug with TWSS up there :saddowns:
Digging this back up - did you ever happen to open up your Omega and snap any photos of whats going on? I'm contempating getting one, slightly concerned about low (60day) warranty, kinda want to see how well done they are. I did email them as they said they have several in stock, they basically confirmed they're MV-1C motherboards as suspected but not much else.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Just skimming back over the thread and noticed that article on that rudy guy, thats just plain worrying.

edit: see this is the kind of crazy we need vvvvv.

Kea fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 29, 2016

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
https://twitter.com/krikzz/status/814280364449529857

:getin:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

falz posted:

Digging this back up - did you ever happen to open up your Omega and snap any photos of whats going on? I'm contempating getting one, slightly concerned about low (60day) warranty, kinda want to see how well done they are. I did email them as they said they have several in stock, they basically confirmed they're MV-1C motherboards as suspected but not much else.

Oh sorry no I haven't. I'm not sure how useful pics of the inside will be because I only bought the omega case/psu/video encoder. The actual mv-1c I have I added myself and is heavily modified past what they even offer. If you're curious about the layout I can but everything on the mv-1c was me.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Thanks to this thread I have cracked level 7 and 190k points on Donkey Kong. Thanks very much!

Is there a thread to pimp your classic arcade stream on twitch?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Aw man, yeah!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You want to see an icky picture?

Fortunately, I'm pretty sure it's just water (or some liquid like that) damage based on the condition of the rest of the board. The top side is clean as a whistle. The battery is completely dead, though, so I've got two GB carts that I'm replacing batteries in next week.

Ranter posted:

Thanks to this thread I have cracked level 7 and 190k points on Donkey Kong. Thanks very much!

Is there a thread to pimp your classic arcade stream on twitch?

That's awesome. I think my record is the fourth set of boards.

There's a couple of streaming threads around, but nobody is going to throw a fit if you mention things here.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 29, 2016

falz
Jan 29, 2005

flyboi posted:

Oh sorry no I haven't. I'm not sure how useful pics of the inside will be because I only bought the omega case/psu/video encoder. The actual mv-1c I have I added myself and is heavily modified past what they even offer. If you're curious about the layout I can but everything on the mv-1c was me.
Ah, so they started life as a diy kit?

The yeah, seeing your soldering job probably wouldn't help. I didn't see any signs of buying parts on their website so they must not do that anymore.

Ill probably have to buy one soon to satisfy this itch. Sucks that it doesn't come with a controller, so I guess it's like ~$700 all in for a multi cart + Omega + controller. Eesh.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Random Stranger posted:

That's awesome. I think my record is the fourth set of boards.

There's a couple of streaming threads around, but nobody is going to throw a fit if you mention things here.

The 'set' you speak of is called a Level (L) in Donkey Kong. So you made it to L4 which contains the hardest board for newbies; 3rd Spring/Elevator board. L5 contains the highest difficulty boards but they're all the same difficulty from there and onward. You can also steer barrels down ladders more often on L5 boards. The percentage of steered barrels goes up with each level. So level 1 you can't steer as often maybe 25%, L2 a little more maybe 40%, etc etc.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jan 2, 2017

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

falz posted:

Ah, so they started life as a diy kit?

The yeah, seeing your soldering job probably wouldn't help. I didn't see any signs of buying parts on their website so they must not do that anymore.

Ill probably have to buy one soon to satisfy this itch. Sucks that it doesn't come with a controller, so I guess it's like ~$700 all in for a multi cart + Omega + controller. Eesh.

No the guy that sells them offers kit-only versions you can buy off the neo-geo forums. I bought a mv-1c off here with the intention of doing DIY because why not. It worked but looked hideous and I came across the Omega while looking for carts so ditched my shell.

The nice thing at least is if you have a fight stick it's pretty trivial to rewire as a controller. But yeah, nothing neo geo is cheap

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Well too bad I've registered on that forum twice and both times they just deleted my account the next day.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

BexGu posted:

How is Retropie display options with shaders/output/etc? I'm really considering building a raspberrypi emulator console considering how hard it is to get the Mini NES Classic.
I don't think any of the shaders/filters can match the pics I've seen of the retro output on the Mini NES. It's kind of a pain to try them all because they're just a list buried in a system menu and you can't (as far as I know) change them on the fly. Some of them also slow a Pi 3 to a crawl on even NES games.

The whole RetroPie thing (I've never bothered learning what all the different software components are/do) is basically 75% slick and polished and 25% text mode Linux menus. If you're at all technical it's trivial to get one running, though.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I got Wario Ware: Twisted for Christmas, and it freezes once it hits the menu (first use of the vibrating motor). This is with my AGB-001 with an AGS-101 screen and half charged batteries, so I guess it's not getting enough power. Works fine in a stock AGB-001 with the same batteries, freezes in an AGS-001 with a low charge, works fine in a fully charged DS Lite.

Not shocking, just interesting.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
The Famicom Mini controllers are suprisingly very usable. Even playing Atlantis no Nazo wasn't as difficult.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

david_a posted:

I don't think any of the shaders/filters can match the pics I've seen of the retro output on the Mini NES. It's kind of a pain to try them all because they're just a list buried in a system menu and you can't (as far as I know) change them on the fly. Some of them also slow a Pi 3 to a crawl on even NES games.

The whole RetroPie thing (I've never bothered learning what all the different software components are/do) is basically 75% slick and polished and 25% text mode Linux menus. If you're at all technical it's trivial to get one running, though.

You can change them on the fly by opening an emulator, hitting select + X to open the Retroarch menu, selecting "Quick Menu", then "Shaders", then "Load Shader Preset".

It comes with a number of them, but you can download the full set by going to "Online Updater", then "Update GLSL Shaders".

crt-pi.glslp and the variants of it run pretty well for a basic CRT/scanline look. There are two I know of - gameboy.glslp and gameboy2.glslp - that totally destroy performance, though [this is on a pi3 running regular Gameboy ROMs even]

I'm that pretty technical guy who hasn't had a problem with it, and I'm considering building one for my generally tech savvy grandma, but I'll pre-set-up everything for her so she doesn't have to mess with the menus.

Kind of annoying that if you fall into a menu / tool that requires the ESC key, you have to plug in a keyboard...

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I'd like to set up an emulation frontend similar to the now-trending RetroPie boxes, but with:
(1) Emulators for consoles newer than what the Raspberry Pi can handle
(2) Cloud access to the ROMs and savegames so I can play from Windows and Android (I can swap Windows for Linux if it's easier, but I doubt it will be)
(3) Automatic updates so I have to manage as little of it as possible

Easy cloud integration is especially important on Android because manually digging through the filesystem to assign folders to sync with dropbox via third party sync apps is a nightmare. I badly do not want to have to do this for a bunch of different emulators (and then have to do it again every time I get a new phone).

Anyone know of any frontends which meet these criteria out of the box? If not, what will get me closest so I can try modifying them to suit my needs?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I've thought about the sync idea before, and while this is not as elegant as I'm sure you'd like, for my two retropies I think I'm just going to make a robocopy/rsync script that syncs their SMB shares. That way, save data moves across automatically, new games added to one propagate automatically to the other, etc.

It looks like EmulationStation, what retropies use, works on Windows and Linux, so there you go. I believe it is a frontend for most anything in Retroarch, so there's (1).

e. that doesn't solve android, though, as far as sync goes. Hmm.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Trip report on 3 dollar SNES controller. Feels light and cheap but plastic is solid. Shoulder buttons suck. Dpad isn't bad and definitely beats the 360 controllers dpad. Face buttons are decent and x/y are both concave which is nice. Works perfectly with lakka/retroarch. Overall pleasantly surprised, if the shoulder buttons weren't so mushy I would be kind of impressed for under 3 dollars shipped.

Edit: scratch that, I am impressed for under three dollars shipped and this may actually become my current controller of choice, assuming it still works in two days.

Kea fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 29, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I am loving the hell out of Mario Party 5, because goddamn can this game be sadistic. One of the possibilities for Last 5 Turns is to turn every space into a Capsule Event; That means every empty space is now one of the spaces you can create using your capsule items. Most of which amount to "gently caress you for landing here :flip:".

It turns the entire board into outright chaos, because gently caress knows what that space you land on will do now :allears:.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

david_a posted:

Thanks for the response. I was watching some video's as well between the Mini NES and Retropie and that shocked me as well. I can figure the rest out of working with Retropie but its a shame it doesn't have the same crispness of the Mini Classic.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

It's all open source stuff, not commercial. Could always go contribute code, cash, etc to motivate the developers.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Decided to break in the cheapo controller with Mega Man 2, I have only completed it before with savestates so its been a royal pain in the rear end thus far but Im enjoying it and enjoying looking at the old pixel graphics. Might move onto a different mega man or maybe earthbound afterwards.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Kea posted:

Decided to break in the cheapo controller with Mega Man 2, I have only completed it before with savestates so its been a royal pain in the rear end thus far but Im enjoying it and enjoying looking at the old pixel graphics. Might move onto a different mega man or maybe earthbound afterwards.

I recommend Mega Man 6, as it's one of the easier ones, and has my second-favorite Mega Man powerup of all time (the jet suit). The stage/boss design is pretty hit or miss, and the password system doesn't save E tanks for whatever reason, but ultimately I think it's one of the best of the classic series.

And as far as Mega Man-like games that aren't Mega Man go, I highly recommend Shatterhand.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

I recommend Mega Man 6, as it's one of the easier ones, and has my second-favorite Mega Man powerup of all time (the jet suit). The stage/boss design is pretty hit or miss, and the password system doesn't save E tanks for whatever reason, but ultimately I think it's one of the best of the classic series.

And as far as Mega Man-like games that aren't Mega Man go, I highly recommend Shatterhand.

Only have one boss guy left for this run so not doing too badly! I remember the boss rush sucking though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
What are my options for replacing a SNES controller? One of mine stopped working and I don't know anything about electronics. I'm fine with buying third-party as long as it's decent.

• Locked thread