Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Lost my HOMo (great name by the way) to stupid play. Got cocky and wanted to see just how powerful my 15-25 orc group really was and tried to rush through the mines and assault the main castle thing. It was a loving bloodbath on both sides and there were like 3 pages of messages a turn. I'm pretty sure what eventually killed me was smite damage from the high priests mixed with melee damage from the warlord i managed to isolate.

I could have definitely handled it with careful pulls and shout commands, but god drat if that wasn't the most fun I've had since I started playing this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

LordSloth posted:

http://crawl.berotato.org:8080/#watch-LordSloth

I've decided I won't enjoy Extended even if I can. Going for the orb of zot with glorious shield gong, hat of pondering, and the best armor i've seen in forever.

Edit: Ascension complete. Gong 100%. Ponderous 100%. Runes? Meh %.

Congrats on the win! :)

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Extended with Gong would be the most miserable experience possible.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Man I am still mad about shoals.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
gently caress Shoals.

I'm a really bad player and I only managed to find like 5 runes (in over 300 games), so when I lost my last char with a rune to a loving snapping turtle in Shaols, I almost smashed the keyboard.

(well, to be honest, I lost the char because I've been too greedy, but let's just blame it on the turtle)

Speaking about that - I somehow managed to find 2 runes in this run - Spider & Shoals. As I've been that far only once, I'm not really sure what to do next to not gently caress it up. I'm aiming for the easiest possible third rune and ideally looking for some advices as I've got no clue what to do now: http://underhound.eu:81/crawl/morgue/zeroDi/zeroDi.txt

Of course, I'm sure that I'll die as soon as I'll start playing tomorrow, but let's just pretend this won't happen.

Could anybody provide me with some advices what to do next? Basically:

- I'm playing as a Vine Stalker Assassin of Okawaru.
- I cleared dungeon to (& including) D:15
- I cleared Spider & Shoals (grabbing runes)
- Cleared Orc, went to the first level of Elf, but noped my way quite quickly from that place, it looked quite hard.

I guess the highlight of my current run is +3 warlock's mirror {reflect} (found just now, but I've been running +3 buckler of reflection before that) and +6 amulet of reflection - not sure how good those two really are but I've seen quite a few projectiles reflected back to whoever was shooting them, especially in Shoals.

I'm fighting with +2 rapier (elec), swapping to +3 rapier of Venom as I didn't see anything which I could use which would be better (and I only found those rapiers on the last floor of Shoals). Should I cross-train in that case?

I don't really know how things work, besides some random guides which I've seen online, so any advices how not to die will be appreciated.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You've topped out with oka but much of your gear isn't anything special, so if it was me I'd probably hold off on going straight for the third rune and maybe do vaults:1-4 (not 5 yet) or depths. See if okawaru will give you anything good.

You're doing this awkward but understandable thing of having a ton of skill points into stealth and short blades but wearing an ok piece of armour that's a little too heavy for it. Maybe it'd be better to pick sticking with stealth, drop your armour down and pick up a few spells, or alternatively cross train long blades. You've got like 5 more skill levels in short blades then you ever really need, in any case.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I wish beogh granted you an ability to more command your orcs a bit more precisely. Stuff like recalling a specific orc or designating an area for your orcs to form up inside would be insanely helpful. It can be done manually, but it's a really annoying and tedious process.

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't

tweet my meat posted:

I wish beogh granted you an ability to more command your orcs a bit more precisely. Stuff like recalling a specific orc or designating an area for your orcs to form up inside would be insanely helpful. It can be done manually, but it's a really annoying and tedious process.
The Beogh ally interaction can definitely be improved. There's one rule: no commands to individual orcs!

That sounds like the most natural solution but it will open the gates of imperial micromanagement. (I know that currently you can resort to a lot of micromanagement to achieve close results, but that's not the same as enabling said micromanagement through the game UI.) We have to be smarter than that.

Beogh is sort of my invention (shared with jpeg), and I feel responsible. We are definitely interested in ideas for how to improve the orcish experience: if you can think of some useful global commands/stances/whatever, please tell us. (A note on the gifts: yes, these are individual commands, but by design they're rare. That's fine; what I can't have is stuff like "go there", "stand here" for single orcs.)

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Would recalling individual orcs fall under that single orc command umbrella? A lot of times I've been herding my pack near stairs trying to get just one orc with me to train it up. The targeted recall would be the one thing that would streamline the play the most I think.

In combat the shout toolset is pretty effective already when you get used to it, but a way to set boundaries for your orcs or to tell them to stay tightly grouped would help a lot. Individual units straying too far from the group while chasing after an enemy and getting surrounded is probably the main killer of my high level orcs other than bad play on my part of course.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

kaaj posted:

I don't really know how things work, besides some random guides which I've seen online, so any advices how not to die will be appreciated.
You could probably get your third rune in the abyss right now, but if you did that and went to Zot immediately you'd almost definitely die. After the two lair runes you should take a bit of time to get more experience and loot.

Vaults floors 1-4 and Elf are the immediate two choices, Elf is scary immediately after Orc but should be manageable after getting two runes. Crypt is in vaults and also an option for loot and experience at that point. After those you can clear depths and then look to your third rune, which should be either Vaults5 or Abyss3. The abyss is easier but has fewer rewards,

As for weapons, you should slow down your short blades skill at 18~ and look for demon blades or double swords. If you get one of those you can start going into long blades and save your short blade for stabbing. If you find a quickblade of electricity that will also be a good step up. The rapier is not bad, it can carry you for a long time but you will eventually have some problems a long time from now in Zot with enemies immune to electricity. Elf has a high chance of giving you a quickblade or double sword, or you can wait for Okawaru to gift you something.

dpeg posted:

Beogh is sort of my invention (shared with jpeg), and I feel responsible. We are definitely interested in ideas for how to improve the orcish experience: if you can think of some useful global commands/stances/whatever, please tell us.
One thing I'd really like from allied commands is a way to change their aggression. Currently they seek out enemies when you first summon them or after someone makes an attack, but I'd really like it if you could give orders to be defensive or aggressive. When defensive they would stick around you and only attack enemies in range, and while aggressive they would always seek out enemies in los immediately, with a neutral command to preserve current behavior. Having those toggled commands would save a lot of hassle with attack and retreat commands.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yeah, defensive/neutral/offensive commands would probably be the smoothest way to handle that.

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't

tweet my meat posted:

Would recalling individual orcs fall under that single orc command umbrella? A lot of times I've been herding my pack near stairs trying to get just one orc with me to train it up. The targeted recall would be the one thing that would streamline the play the most I think.
I was aware of players trying to reduce the orc army to around five. I think specifiying that number could be good. Of course, even if you say "one", that's not the same as what you want here. I need to think about the "this orc only" thing.

Darox posted:

One thing I'd really like from allied commands is a way to change their aggression. Currently they seek out enemies when you first summon them or after someone makes an attack, but I'd really like it if you could give orders to be defensive or aggressive. When defensive they would stick around you and only attack enemies in range, and while aggressive they would always seek out enemies in los immediately, with a neutral command to preserve current behavior. Having those toggled commands would save a lot of hassle with attack and retreat commands.
Sounds good to me, I'll bring it up!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I would argue that recalling a specific orc wouldn't really fall into the traps of overly tedious combat micromanagement since it wouldn't really be any different in combat than the normal recall which is already weighted towards your strongest orcs or individual orc commands which I definitely agree would completely change the dynamic of the game at that point.

A solution that might be more in keeping with the design philosophy however would be recalling specific types of orcs (knights etc) or named orcs only.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 30, 2016

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

kaaj posted:

gently caress Shoals.

I'm a really bad player and I only managed to find like 5 runes (in over 300 games), so when I lost my last char with a rune to a loving snapping turtle in Shaols, I almost smashed the keyboard.

(well, to be honest, I lost the char because I've been too greedy, but let's just blame it on the turtle)

Speaking about that - I somehow managed to find 2 runes in this run - Spider & Shoals. As I've been that far only once, I'm not really sure what to do next to not gently caress it up. I'm aiming for the easiest possible third rune and ideally looking for some advices as I've got no clue what to do now: http://underhound.eu:81/crawl/morgue/zeroDi/zeroDi.txt

Of course, I'm sure that I'll die as soon as I'll start playing tomorrow, but let's just pretend this won't happen.

Could anybody provide me with some advices what to do next? Basically:

- I'm playing as a Vine Stalker Assassin of Okawaru.
- I cleared dungeon to (& including) D:15
- I cleared Spider & Shoals (grabbing runes)
- Cleared Orc, went to the first level of Elf, but noped my way quite quickly from that place, it looked quite hard.

I guess the highlight of my current run is +3 warlock's mirror {reflect} (found just now, but I've been running +3 buckler of reflection before that) and +6 amulet of reflection - not sure how good those two really are but I've seen quite a few projectiles reflected back to whoever was shooting them, especially in Shoals.

I'm fighting with +2 rapier (elec), swapping to +3 rapier of Venom as I didn't see anything which I could use which would be better (and I only found those rapiers on the last floor of Shoals). Should I cross-train in that case?

Pop into the discord chatroom sometime. It's a bit slow after xmas ,but there are still a few people happy to spectate without the excessive amount of offtopic you get with pubbies.
    Quick thoughts
  • You've got an unknown rod on lair:2 that's worth checking out. There's a few that are nice, but if you're lucky, it'll turn out to be a rod of shadows. The rod of shadows will help provide opportunities for distraction stabs when you run into something immune to curare, paralysis needles, and magic immune - namely Zot.
  • Dig and Disintegrate will be exceptionally useful wands, for the occasional murderhole. Murderholes are nowhere near as crucial as they are for the formicids I'm so fond of playing, but the supplementary antimagic bite will make the elven halls and quite a few other places a lot safer when only one enemy can spot you at a time. Of course, Deep Elf Blademasters and Deep Elf Elementalists can still horribly wreck your day without much effort, so while I'd rush the Elven Halls and likely splat, I won't recommend it to you.
  • Can't really efficently skim your dump compared to the in-game search, but I'd probably run with the +2 leather armour "Gizxihum" {rC++}. Or sword and board heavy armor, but I'll touch on that a bit later, and maybe in chat.
  • Like resistentialism I'd probably lean towards Vaults:1-4, and all of Crypts (though the undead would negate your blowgun) with some precaution. If your MR wasn't solid, I'd have nervously ventured into Depths, but fortunately, you should have an okay chance of shaking off Sentinel Marks.
  • Crosstraining: "40% of the skill points (not levels!) in any weapon skill is used to boost the cross-trained skill for free. It still sets you back significantly and probably isn't worth it unless a really good sword shows up, or a demon blade/double sword you can turn into a good sword. You'll naturally start running into hell knights later on, and the Hall of Blades on Elf:2 guarantees two rare weapons (which may not be what you need). Your bite also ends up providing a significant source of damage, so as things stand at the moment I'd rather stick with the rapier of electrocution and a carefully hoarded stockpile of might & haste (or Finesse, depending on whether you think you'll need to run or just win quickly) potions for important fights, berserk pots/amulets for tough generic fights, and invisibility for everything you can outright stab to death. I've taken quite a few stabber starts into larger sword & board ... it's viable, especially with Okawaru, but I'm inclined to start pumping dodging and stealth until maybe 12 or so and go with a lighter armor.
  • If you go light, I'd pay more attention to evocables - namely bags of spiders and rods and the amulet of rage as a possible swap. If you go heavy, I'd pay more attention to those javelins lying around in Shoals. There are not as many special ones as I'd hoped, but the javelins of returning are in a large enough stack to be usable. I'd also pray for Okawaru to gift me more than two javelins of penetration.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Switching to a non squishy class that can handle heavy armor feels like cheating after playing nothing but casters. After so many games I finally got a rune, two of them actually. I died to poor play on my part and I feel pretty confident in my ability to clinch a win in the next few games if I don't get in a rush again and make another dumb mistake.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

This is my new favorite thing in the game.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Large amount of changes with evocables, so I'm only linking to the biggest commit:

Rods are now gone. Iron rods and rods of clouds have been turned into wands, lightning rods replace the disc of storms (and go inert like exp evokers after doing a single volley of 4), and ignition/inaccuracy are removed along with wands of slowing. Most wands now have smaller ranges than LoS so that clouds and scattershot don't go to LoS, with the exception of random effects which goes to max range regardless (but was also reworked to just be a static list of effects instead of picking from all wands). Also, disintegration can no longer dig (called it!), and digging has been given the ability to break statues.

Removing rods is yet another nerf to mummies! :sad:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Not orange, ice, & basalt statues, surely? Just the ones that block movement?

Also, I abandoned Trog as a Frog, and the hopping totally neutralized the wrath.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Huh. I wasn't expecting rods to be removed. Tweaked, maybe made evokable from inventory, but not removed.

I'm not sure what I think about that.

Edit: I assume this means recharging is unchanged?

Prism fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 31, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Speleothing posted:

Also, I abandoned Trog as a Frog, and the hopping totally neutralized the wrath.

IIRC, Blink is similarly effective. (The level 2 spell, not the scroll, even!)

For Okawaru wrath, on the other hand, you want Invisibility.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Well I suppose that's one way to make rods work more like wands.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can't say that i'm all that against the change, really. rods always existed in a weird place where you had to wield them directly which made them more annoying to use than wands, and the small handful of varieties always seemed kind of stale. the more interesting ones were turned into wands, so it's fine by me.

i assume someone is going to have to reconfigure the acquirement flowcharts again, though

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
balways baquire barmour (for real now that wands and evocables aren't worth it)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Johnny Joestar posted:

i can't say that i'm all that against the change, really. rods always existed in a weird place where you had to wield them directly which made them more annoying to use than wands, and the small handful of varieties always seemed kind of stale. the more interesting ones were turned into wands, so it's fine by me.

That and it was rather difficult to find a decent rod you would want to burn recharge scrolls on. Iron rods and shadows were probably the most consistent of the bunch and even then they would be used up in at most 3 castings when fully enchanted. They did have rather neat effects and it's good that those ones are preserved, barring rods of ignition. Maybe transform Bolt of Magma to do that instead?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Floodkiller posted:

Also, disintegration can no longer dig (called it!)

RIP reliable way to make safe hiding holes I guess. Hell just got more annoying.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

and so begins the rise of the formicid........................

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Does pressing . with wands stop the beam like it stops projectile weapons on the targeted tile?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

In addition to disintegration, IOODs got changed to not destroy walls also. I am okay with this orb spider nerf.

Disintegration is really boring now though. Its niche is apparently 'high damage but resistible' but paralyze and enslave wands both exist and they check the same resistance but both of them are very nearly 'free kill this monster if it fails the MR check'. Obviously there are differences between the three but I think inaccuracy beams are more interestingly diverse as a damage source. Paralyze vs enslave is plenty interesting but paralyze vs disintegration really isn't. Disintegration ends up slightly more convienient against distant enemies for a weaker effect. Give us wands of disintegration rays instead.

Sage Grimm posted:

That and it was rather difficult to find a decent rod you would want to burn recharge scrolls on. Iron rods and shadows were probably the most consistent of the bunch and even then they would be used up in at most 3 castings when fully enchanted. They did have rather neat effects and it's good that those ones are preserved, barring rods of ignition. Maybe transform Bolt of Magma to do that instead?

Lightning rods. Lightning rod was the absolute best rod for any character. A rod of clouds or shadows or even iron was hot garbage if you didn't have decent evo, but lightning rods were good for everybody in every situation forever. If you found a lightning rod before in early D you were a god. Inaccuracy was nearly as good because the damage didn't care much about evo so you could actually kill things instead of lol mist lol kobold summon.
Speaking of, the new evocable has 4 charges and uses xp to recharge after its emptied, but if you burn 3 charges and leave it with 1 left is the xp you get wasted? I'd hate to have to use that fourth charge on nothing so I can recharge back up to 4 for important encounters. It'd be nicer if it recharged per-shot.

Darox fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 31, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Darox posted:

In addition to disintegration, IOODs got changed to not destroy walls also. I am okay with this orb spider nerf.

Disintegration is really boring now though. Its niche is apparently 'high damage but resistible' but paralyze and enslave wands both exist and they check the same resistance but both of them are very nearly 'free kill this monster if it fails the MR check'. Obviously there are differences between the three but I think inaccuracy beams are more interestingly diverse as a damage source. Paralyze vs enslave is plenty interesting but paralyze vs disintegration really isn't. Disintegration ends up slightly more convienient against distant enemies for a weaker effect. Give us wands of disintegration rays instead.

Speaking of, the new evocable has 4 charges and uses xp to recharge after its emptied, but if you burn 3 charges and leave it with 1 left is the xp you get wasted? I'd hate to have to use that fourth charge on nothing so I can recharge back up to 4 for important encounters. It'd be nicer if it recharged per-shot.

I also agree that disintegration is really boring, and I only ever used it because it could dig. Instead of giving it a lost rod effect (I don't know if inaccuracy would work well on a wand), maybe it just needs an entirely new effect instead.

Also, from the look of the commit, it seems like that's how the lightning evocable works? If it is, I hope that gets changed so that partial charges can regenerate with XP as well.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Double posting because I've got a species idea (someone else had) that I finally got into a playable (beta) state:

Cynii are humanoids with the head of a dog, with origins from the eastern deserts. Cynii are unusually attracted to the dungeon, with mentions of the Orb generating blank stares, tilted heads, and involuntary drooling.

Attributes:
Starts with 8 STR/8 DEX/8 INT, +1 STR/DEX/INT every 5 levels, +3 MR/level
+0% HP, +0 MP, +0 XP
Normal size, no bodyslot restrictions
Limited potential (each skill can be raised to a maximum of 12, instead of 27).

All aptitudes are +5 across the board.

You can download and compile from here (it isn't on a server yet, I'll ask around about it when I finish polishing it up and fixing any obvious bugs I've found once I get back from travelling):
http://www.github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/tree/cynocephalus

If you do playtest it, please let me know any feedback you have!

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 31, 2016

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Anyone else unable to connect to Akrasiac? I'd play on another server, but I need to copy my rc file info because I can't remember all the settings. :smith:

EDIT: I'll try the puppy race, assuming I can successfully compile Crawl.

HisMajestyBOB fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 31, 2016

MrDeSaussure
Jul 20, 2008
Akrasiac is back up after maintainance.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
That's good, because I don't know if I'll be able to figure out how to compile Crawl on Windows 10.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

HisMajestyBOB posted:

That's good, because I don't know if I'll be able to figure out how to compile Crawl on Windows 10.

Same way one compiles everything else: spend maybe an hour fumbling around to figure it out and then immediately forget.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Floodkiller posted:

Double posting because I've got a species idea (someone else had) that I finally got into a playable (beta) state:

Cynii are humanoids with the head of a dog, with origins from the eastern deserts. Cynii are unusually attracted to the dungeon, with mentions of the Orb generating blank stares, tilted heads, and involuntary drooling.

Attributes:
Starts with 8 STR/8 DEX/8 INT, +1 STR/DEX/INT every 5 levels, +3 MR/level
+0% HP, +0 MP, +0 XP
Normal size, no bodyslot restrictions
Limited potential (each skill can be raised to a maximum of 12, instead of 27).

All aptitudes are +5 across the board.

You can download and compile from here (it isn't on a server yet, I'll ask around about it when I finish polishing it up and fixing any obvious bugs I've found once I get back from travelling):
http://www.github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/tree/cynocephalus

If you do playtest it, please let me know any feedback you have!

If a bird can't wear a helmet, a dog shouldn't be able to either

(this idea is a good one please don't take away helmets from them)

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

The crawl readme has pretty good compilation instructions. I got it running on the Mac quite easily.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Seems like it would be really broken with Vehumet/Okawaru/Ash, unless the race was specifically coded to make their abilities ineffective.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
How so? Finesse and vehemut's wiz bonus will make them strong early game but it'll rapidly reach a plateau and then effectively be weaker than a "normal" race with those god bonuses.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
They're saying if heroism lets you go over 12, it would be busted. If it doesn't, it won't be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

If a bird can't wear a helmet, a dog shouldn't be able to either

(this idea is a good one please don't take away helmets from them)

Just pretend they are flat faced dogs right now, like pugs or bulldogs.

Konstantin posted:

Seems like it would be really broken with Vehumet/Okawaru/Ash, unless the race was specifically coded to make their abilities ineffective.

The skill raising abilities of Oka and Ash will not be going past 12 for clarity reasons: they don't go past 27, which is the cap for all other races, so it would make sense that they don't go past 12 for Cynii. I feel Oka will probably be fine, as gifts are still strong (arguably stronger when you can actually swap to a different weapon class quickly if it looks interesting) and Finesse can be used like normal or to allow you to get swings with a 2 handed weapon at a reasonable speed. Ash will probably suffer, but some people might pick it anyway for clarity and scry? I don't know. The current build already has Ash working as intended, but Oka is still boosting stats past 12 with Heroism, so I'll have to find and fix that tomorrow (I'm too tired after 10 hours of driving). Another thing I know is broken is that weapon crosstraining is also allowing skills to go past 12, so I need to fix that as well.

Vehumut shouldn't be affected at all, and Sif might be slower to level without spell learning piety after they get maxed out, but I'm not concerned about either of those.

• Locked thread