Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

One caveat on dumping water into a screaming hot pan: Doing so tends to aerosolize the fat in the pan, which may then ignite if your burner is on. May only be a risk with gas burners, but it happened to me twice and the flash fire was enough to melt the blades inside my exhaust fan.

I was thinking I'd turn the burner off and go to the sink with the pan, personally :v:

Thanks, I'll try that tonight after my next meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I always scrape/wipe/pour as much grease as I can before adding water. This keeps the spatter off the stove and keeps it from igniting and also means I'm not dumping grease/water into my plumbing as I put it into a grease jar that I toss when it gets full.

For scraping after boiling water I generally use a steel spatula for the bottom and a steel core silicone scraper for the sides. I think the one I use is the orange one from this set.
http://breadtopia.com/store/silicone-dough-scraper-set/

You can also use cheesecloth wrapped around kosher salt to scrub with.

As far as adding water to a hot pan, yes that is the easiest way and then add more water and boil to loosen everything. You could theoretically crack a pan doing it especially if it's an older pan that has been dropped or has internal flaws. Most likely your grandma's heirloom pan would have already cracked if it had those flaws but if you are using a pan with sentimental value just let it cool, add water and then boil. It will take longer but then you don't have to worry about cracks.

FWIW I have never cracked a pan using a self cleaning cycle or dumping in water while it was hot and I have done 20-30 pieces of cast iron at this point so I consider it a very unlikely issue.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 28, 2016

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I know they have been mentioned before in this thread but the chainmail scrubbers work great.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Gah, I've even got one of those but it got put in a drawer by the cleaning lady and I forgot about it. :doh:

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

This doesn't need to be complicated. I usually let it cool down, wipe excess grease off with paper towel if necessary, wash under hot water with brush and maybe a touch of soap, dry off over heat on stove. If it looks less seasoned than usual, dump a little oil in and rub in with paper towel while heating. Whole thing takes a few minutes.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The seasoning Is flaking on the sides of my pan, but not the cooking surface. Can this be fixed or do I have to strip it? It flakes off just from rubbing it lightly with a paper towel.

Kino
Aug 2, 2003

Dacap posted:

The seasoning Is flaking on the sides of my pan, but not the cooking surface. Can this be fixed or do I have to strip it? It flakes off just from rubbing it lightly with a paper towel.

I was having this issue repeatedly on my grill pan resulting from leaving it in the oven and not using it often enough. Googling seemed to find people saying that it'll keep doing it until completely reseasoned, but that was too much effort. I instead would just rub off all the loose seasoning I could and do a round or two of seasoning to protect the exposed iron.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Dacap posted:

I've never had a pan do that. The only reasons I can think of is using soap or too much oil when putting the seasoning on so it's too thick and never really bonds to the iron well.

I would strip it and reseason as it's going to keep crumbling off and technically you could get microbes/toxins behind the seasoning that will end up in your food.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If anybody's in the market for it, woot.com has some enameled cast iron for sale: http://home.woot.com/plus/cuisinart-the-legend?ref=hm_cnt_wp_6

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I don't have a self-cleaning oven, how can I strip it it? Or should I just replace it?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Dacap posted:

I don't have a self-cleaning oven, how can I strip it it? Or should I just replace it?

You can use spray on oven cleaner in a garbage bag for a few hours. Bonus points if you put the bag in the sun. All the carbon will wipe off. If anything sticks repeat and use a wire brush.

Wear rubber gloves while working with the cleaner.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Biscuit Joiner posted:

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Merry Christmas, cast iron goons! Can anyone identify what maker and vintage my mom's pan is?

Without seeing the rest of the bottom of the pan and the handle --
I believe that is a Lodge pan. If that is the only notch in the heat ring then it is from the 1930's. If there are three notches in the heat ring it is going to be from 1940's.
-- Is my best estimate

So I told my mom tonight that I want to season this thing, and she let me take it. She said she could never get a successful season on it, but I'll have to ask her how she was doing it. In any case, I'm going to strip it with the self-cleaning cycle either overnight or early in the morning, then season and reseason throughout the day (with flaxseed oil) as I'm working from home. May do the same for my grill pan, too. Anyway, here are some "before" pics of the antique (and yes, I'll have to teach her not to clean it via soaking):

http://imgur.com/a/sfUKI

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
That's definitely a Lodge pan from the 1940's. Everyone seems to always want Griswold but the old unmarked Lodge pans are just as good and can be found much cheaper.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Just make sure you take your racks out and put the pan on the bottom of the oven.

This is a handy guide to identifying unmarked cast iron if you are at a flea market.

http://www.castironcollector.com/unmarked.php

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

After a cycle in the self-clean, this thing came out pretty brown:

I gave it a good wipe down with a dry green scrubber, then a quick rinse under the tap and onto a hot burner to dry. Also wiped with a paper towel while on the burner:

Next step: Gonna obtain a drill (borrow or buy cheap) and use my brushes to grind out as much rust as I can. Then the seasoning begins.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

The last picture actually looks pretty good I would just wipe it with vinegar, rinse, dry on the burner and start the seasoning process.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

my turn in the barrel posted:

Just make sure you take your racks out and put the pan on the bottom of the oven.

May I ask why?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

The racks can discolor or warp during a cleaning cycle. Some may be fine but the vast majority aren't and replacing them will be pricey.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

my turn in the barrel posted:

The racks can discolor or warp during a cleaning cycle. Some may be fine but the vast majority aren't and replacing them will be pricey.

Ah, got it. Directions for our stove say to leave the racks in, I just assumed that would be normal for self cleaning ovens.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Some racks are coated with the same self cleaning material as the walls or are specifically made to be left in.

Most are stainless or chrome and should be removed. If in doubt leave them out.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
So what do you do, sit the skillet on the element?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Use your anti-grav field, people. Duh.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

QuarkMartial posted:

I have a gas stove and just set the pans on the bottom of the oven. If you have an electric that self cleans which I think is a rarity you can just set the pan on a coffee mug or a brick to keep it off the bottom.

http://lifehacker.com/5845822/remove-rust-from-cast-iron-cookware-in-your-oven

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

QuarkMartial posted:

Some ovens have a hook in the ceiling for hanging meats over a drip pan

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

After cleaning my skillet after some bacon cookin' (mmmm) with the chainmail scrubbers, I had some faint white-ish spots that looked kinda like scratches in various places on the pan. I don't know what they are but I can't really feel any textural difference with my fingers (besides being faintly greasy, but that's the whole pan), so there's no harm done, right?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

After cleaning my skillet after some bacon cookin' (mmmm) with the chainmail scrubbers, I had some faint white-ish spots that looked kinda like scratches in various places on the pan. I don't know what they are but I can't really feel any textural difference with my fingers (besides being faintly greasy, but that's the whole pan), so there's no harm done, right?

Is it just solidified bacon grease in the pits? If it's grease it will turn clear as you heat it.

I generally dump all my bacon grease into a container in the fridge, scrape the pan to remove any stuck bits and then warm up a bit and wipe with a paper towel to remove excess grease and whatever scraped off.

You only need a tiny layer of grease on your pans for storage. If there is a bunch of grease it can go rancid. I generally try to get all that I can off the pan and spray some olive oil on the pan then wipe it off for storage. But I have so many pans they may sit for a year or 2 between uses, if you only have one pan you will probably use it enough to keep anything from going rancid.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Could be hardened bacon grease, yeah. Now that I think about it, it could also be fibers from the paper towel getting stuck on there. I need to go buy a pack of microfiber cloths and use those instead, though I'm sure my washer would hate me for that if it were sentient :v:

I have three bits of cast iron, one a cheap enameled dutch oven so I don't worry about that, just throw it in the dishwasher after a deep fry; and two skillets, one 8" for my continued attempts at omelettes (I suck at flipping) and a 15"(!) that gets regular use.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

If anyone in the Chicago, Milwaukee, Rockford Triangle is going to be on I 90 the Corelle Store at the huntley outlet is going out of business.

Unlike most liquidations they aren't using an outside company that marks everything up, they just have 50% off everything in the stores normal price some of which were cheaper than amazon.

I picked up all this for $70

Has anyone used one of the Carbon steel skillets? I figured for $20 I would try one.

Edit: Tried out the Grill Pan

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 31, 2016

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Wish I could read those prices. Got any bigger photos?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Right click > copy image location, take the "l" off the end of the image code.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sweet, thanks!

Barrel, are the prices shown before or after the 50% off?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Before

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

prices with discount applied are

Fajita pan $12.50
6.5"skillet $5
10.5"griddle $10
13" SKILLET $20

7.5qt ENAMEL DUTCH OVEN $45
15" carbon Skillet $30
12" CARBON SKILLET $20
20' Deluxe Griddle $25
7qt Dutch oven $30

The amazon prices are

Fajita pan $30
6.5"skillet $7.99
10.5"griddle $14.97
13" SKILLET $36

7.5qt ENAMEL DUTCH OVEN $80
15" carbon Skillet $52
12" CARBON SKILLET $30
20' Deluxe Griddle $45
7qt Dutch oven $54

The store also had massive amounts of Pyrex and other baking dishes, regular teflon pans and cooking utensils if someone is stocking their kitchen for the first time. They said they would be open until Jan 16 but obviously the lodge stuff will probably be all gone by then.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 31, 2016

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks! Tempted to make the trip from Chicago tomorrow.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Thanks! Tempted to make the trip from Chicago tomorrow.

They are one of the few operating stores left in the mall so there probably will not be many customers from when I left til tomorrow.

If you have extra time after you shop, go one more exit down 90 and go to The Spot in Marengo.

It's a local dive bar that has really great 3/4LB burgers for $6.75.

Marengo also has a great gun shop called Marengo guns if that's something that interests you.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 31, 2016

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So last night I obtained a drill and went to work on my mother's vintage skillet. After the better part of an hour the cooking surface and inner walls look pretty good, but the rest of the pan still has a reddish hue. Am I right in thinking I should go another round with the drill on it? These pics are after a quick rinse off and drying over a hot burner, I'm rather gun-shy about using water for more than that (or vinegar at all) after the flash rust problems I was having a while back with my own pan:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Stopped by the sale and picked up two fajita pans, the last 6.5" skillet, the last 13.5" skillet, and a 10" griddle. Not bad for $67 out the door after tax.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Wilford Cutlery posted:

So last night I obtained a drill and went to work on my mother's vintage skillet. After the better part of an hour the cooking surface and inner walls look pretty good, but the rest of the pan still has a reddish hue. Am I right in thinking I should go another round with the drill on it? These pics are after a quick rinse off and drying over a hot burner, I'm rather gun-shy about using water for more than that (or vinegar at all) after the flash rust problems I was having a while back with my own pan:

Once you are down small amount of flash rust you can just season it. You will never get all that fine rust off 100%. And when you are wiping on the first coat of seasoning the rust will wipe off into the paper towel you are applying oil with anyways.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Stopped by the sale and picked up two fajita pans, the last 6.5" skillet, the last 13.5" skillet, and a 10" griddle. Not bad for $67 out the door after tax.

Good deal, my mom stopped over there just now to get some cookie sheets as hers are falling apart and said the lodge is pretty much gone. The neat part is you now have pans that will last a lifetime even if you abuse them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

That carbon steel skilllet is awesome for crepes and pancakes but you can do eggs on it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I've been trying to strip and reseason an old Dutch oven this weekend and now I hate myself and cast irons and America and cooking oil. Shits all uneven and streaking and gross and dumb.