Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

No matter how bad cursed child is, it's a) not too smug to bear b) understands characterisation sometimes (scorpius, at least) c) understands basic narrative structure (ish) d) bears some minor relation to how real-world people might talk.

Let's not even pretend that they're in the same league.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Wait did that fake leaked script end up turning out to be the real thing? :stare:

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

MikeJF posted:

d) bears some minor relation to how real-world people might talk.

Haha, no. The other points I'll give you, but just no. A book that contains the line "Oh, my geekiness is a-quivering" does not get that particular point ever.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah that one was borderline, I'll admit.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Cursed Child was that bad huh? I never bothered to read it.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Cursed Child was that bad huh? I never bothered to read it.

:stare: True, it's seems. Granted I never read it, but I accidentally clicked on some MoR spoilers here and, well.... As bad as Cursed Child is, it did not kill off Hermione and make Bellatrix a brain damaged ongoing death eater gang rape victim like MoR apparently did. Like, the characters are already pre built. How badly do you screw it up?

At this point I don't blame OP for taking an eternal hiatus. Goodness knows you'll need that to recuperate your poor soul. Some fanfics can be a fun read, but a lot of them, especially a lot of them, are just bad garbage that don't treat people well. I guess I shouldn't be surprised when people like Elizarry misuse female characters. They are assholes bad at writing.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

http://argumate.tumblr.com/post/114122957199/i-think-ive-been-talking-about-hpmor-too-much

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
:justpost:

Chapter 18: Dominance Hierarchies

HPMOR relentlessly follows what TV Tropes calls "The Stations of the Canon". Every major event of the first Harry Potter book is replicated with a bunch of new material crammed in, because this is fanfiction and longer equals better. When we left off, we had just passed the First Potions Class. Harriezer responded to mild provocation by threatening to run away, and then abused two magical artifacts to try to avoid consequences. Of course you can't evade social consequences by turning invisible, so he ends up in front of the Headmaster anyway. Only at this point does he call out Snape with legitimate performance complaints, but that's been completely undermined since it looks like a cover for his own bad behavior. We resume:

HPMOR posted:

Severus was giving her a look of utter contempt. Minerva raised her chin and bore it. She knew it was deserved.

Oh, god. In this fic, Dumbledore, Snape, Harry and Voldemort are Serious People doing Serious Things and everyone else is a disappointing pawn. Minerva and Hermione tend to catch the worst of it, with entire sections dedicated to how foolish they are. I don't think it's intended to be sexist, but that's certainly how it comes off.

They enter a long and boring negotiation, with Harry threatening to run away if things don't go his way and Dumbledore humoring him out of seeming madness. A compromise is struck; Snape will be less abusive, and he and Harry will both apologize for acting like idiots.

quote:

"I think, Professor McGonagall, that you considerably overestimate the importance of what you call school discipline, as compared to having History taught by a live teacher or not torturing your students. Maintaining the current status hierarchy and enforcing its rules seems ever so much more wise and moral and important when you are on the top and doing the enforcing than when you are on the bottom, and I can cite studies to this effect if required. I could go on for several hours about this point, but I will leave it at that."

Minerva shook her head. "Mr. Potter, you underestimate the importance of discipline because you are not in need of it yourself -" She paused. That hadn't come out right, and Severus, Dumbledore, and even Harry were giving her strange looks. "To learn, I mean. Not every child can learn in the absence of authority. And it is the other children who will be hurt, Mr. Potter, if they see your example as one to be followed."

Harry's lips curved into a twisted smile. "The first and last resort is the truth. The truth is that I shouldn't have gotten angry, I shouldn't have disrupted the class, I shouldn't have done what I did, and I set a bad example for everyone. The truth is also that Severus Snape behaved in a fashion unbecoming a Hogwarts professor, and that from now on he will be more mindful of the injured feelings of students in their fourth year and under. The two of us could both get up and speak the truth. I could live with that."

:smuggo: Does everyone see how much smarter and wiser Harriezer is then that old fuddypants McGonagall? Has it been drilled into your head hard enough?

Yud almost has a good point here. Society does contain a lot of arbitrary rules and practices which solely exist to maintain the authority of those already in charge. People with ASD especially have trouble accepting rules that have no practical purpose. As we have seen with the Civil Rights movement or the Stonewall Riots, sometimes authority must be visibly defied before anything will change. Except, of course, an authentic idealist won't start a revolution just to duck personal responsibility.

Of course, this common sense is just too much for Minerva.

quote:

Minerva rose from her chair and almost fell. There was too much adrenaline in her blood, her heart was beating too fast.

People with heart conditions should consult their doctor before listening to Harriezer. :rolleyes:

Dumbledore lends her Fawkes so her delicate dumb lady constitution doesn't give out while she hands out Harry's punishment.

quote:

When she stood up she found it hard to speak. But she had to ask. "What happened today, Harry?"

"I don't know the answers to any of the important questions either. Aside from that I'd really rather not think about it for a while."

Minerva took his hand in hers again, and they walked the rest of the way in silence.

It was only a short trip, since naturally the office of the Deputy was close to the office of the Headmaster.

A rare moment of actual humility from our lead - conveniently timed to happen right before a punishment he can't wiggle out of. That is, the sensible action that should already have been taken of limiting his Time-Turner use. He can only use it in the evenings, and they'll do spot checks to make sure he's only using two turns a day.

quote:

"Mr. Potter," she said gently, "there are students who cannot be entrusted with Time-Turners, because they become addicted to them. We give them a potion which lengthens their sleep cycle by the necessary amount, but they end up using the Time-Turner for more than just attending their classes. And so we must take them back. Mr. Potter, you have taken to using the Time-Turner as your solution to everything, often very foolishly so. You used it to get back a Remembrall. You vanished from a closet in a fashion apparent to other students, instead of going back after you were out and getting me or someone else to come and open the door."

From the look on Harry's face he hadn't thought of that.

Harriezer, powerful and creative enough to convince half the school he's a reality warper though snapping, but blind to the obvious consequences of abusing his power. Our hero.

Once again, if you have a potion which can alter sleep cycles, why do you not just use that instead of the dangerous, addictive artifact? There's something to be said when the author realizes the intellectual laziness of his character for abusing a power, but doesn't realize his own intellectual laziness of doing the exact same thing.

Harry whines and cries about this, despite being told that Dumbledore is taking the heat for the blatant crimes Harriezer committed.

quote:

"I'm, sorry," he whispered, voice now choked and broken. "I'm sorry, to have, disappointed you..."

It was too much. It was just all too much. Harry had almost gone over to the Dark Side, his dark side had done things that seemed in retrospect insane, his dark side had won an impossible victory that might have been real and might have been a pure whim of a crazy Headmaster, his dark side had protected his friends. He just couldn't handle it any more. He needed Fawkes to sing to him again. He needed to use the Time-Turner to go off and take a quiet hour to recover but that wasn't an option any more and the loss was like a hole in his existence but he couldn't think about that because then he might start laughing.

I thought you'd all enjoy the rare moments of Harriezer in misery. You're a bum, Harry. You need to get off the juice, it's eating you up.

Anyway, Harry seems to have had a revelation. He realizes how much his wild actions are creating problems, he feels remorse and a need for reflection. He gets up in front of the school and delivers his apology without a hint of snideness or sarcasm. Maybe we're seeing some growth from this char...

quote:

Until Harry raised his hand.

He did not raise it high. That might have appeared preemptory. He certainly did not raise it toward Severus. Harry simply raised his hand to chest level, and softly snapped his fingers, a gesture that was seen more than heard. It was possible that most of the Head Table wouldn't see it at all.

This seeming gesture of defiance won sudden smiles from the younger students and Gryffindors, and coldly superior sneers from Slytherin, and frowns and worried looks from all others.

Harry kept his face expressionless. "Thank you," he said. "That's all."

"Thank you, Mr. Potter," said the Headmaster. "And now Professor Snape has something to share with us as well."

And from that day onward, no matter what Hermione tried to tell anyone, it would be an accepted legend of Hogwarts that Harry Potter could make absolutely anything happen by snapping his fingers.

Never loving mind. :suicide:

Added Space fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 6, 2017

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Added Space posted:

Yud almost has a good point here.
This is true of quite a lot of this fic. He spots something odd or incongruous, but he just can't help filtering it through his sense of superiority.

quote:

There's something to be said when the author realizes the intellectual laziness of his character for abusing a power, but doesn't realize his own intellectual laziness of doing the exact same thing.
But that's Yud all over. His writing is like some bizarre game of hypocrite bingo. You can see him making all the fallacies he warns against every time he pats himself on the back for being so rational Rational.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Hmm, yes. The entitled twat who has been causing non-stop disturbances and breaking rules constantly while being a smug poo poo about it all is in no need of rules and structure to instill discipline, unlike the lesser children. Go on, Professor McGonagall, tell me more of your revolutionary teaching technique!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Oh hey welcome back!

Added Space posted:

Oh, god. In this fic, Dumbledore, Snape, Harry and Voldemort are Serious People doing Serious Things and everyone else is a disappointing pawn. Minerva and Hermione tend to catch the worst of it, with entire sections dedicated to how foolish they are. I don't think it's intended to be sexist, but that's certainly how it comes off.

Between this, the "I'm gonna rape her" bit on the train, and the part way later in the thing where Quirrelmort rattles off MRA talking points at a few of the female teachers while they observe the eleven-year-old equivalent of a feminist protest, it's pretty goddamn obvious that Big Yud has little to no respect for women as people. Much like a lot of pseudo-intellectuals, really.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

inflatablefish posted:

This is true of quite a lot of this fic. He spots something odd or incongruous, but he just can't help filtering it through his sense of superiority.

Spotting something that appears odd and saying 'lol this is dumb' is a really bad way to go about things in general, but is particularly bad when writing fanfics.

Much like when writing a sequel, you should pretend that the original work was better than it was.

As an example, I particularly like how house elves ended up getting handled in this fic.

quote:

"How'd the interrogation go?" said the Rupert. "I hope you didn't cause an interspecies incident."

She gave him a look that implied eye-rolling without actually involving it. "I just asked him a few minor questions."

"Like what?"

"Like why they dress in tea-towels."

"And?"

"And... he said, Do you not like tea, Hermione Granger?"

"Maybe they're Buddhists," said Harry. "You should have done, make me one with everything."

She rolled her eyes. "I asked if they were Buddhists, actually, and he said no, elves came first! ...That was when I started being direct."

"Oh no," said Harry.

"I simply asked why elves do all the work around here."

"And?"

"And he said it was because they're the best qualified until the human race grows up."

"Oh."

"I said that humans in his place would be slaves. He said you can't steal a gift. Then he gave me a gift."

"Oh?"

"A bouquet of Scots heather. Straight off the mountainside. He said. Hermione Granger, it is all free. He just Apparated away and back." She drummed her fingers on the tabletop. "You've read HOGWARTS: A HISTORY, haven't you?"

"Er," said Harry. "Flipped through it a bit, yeah."

"There are wards in place to stop you doing that. Never been overcome by any wizard in history." She thought a bit.

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Spotting something that appears odd and saying 'lol this is dumb' is a really bad way to go about things in general, but is particularly bad when writing fanfics.

Much like when writing a sequel, you should pretend that the original work was better than it was.

As an example, I particularly like how house elves ended up getting handled in this fic.

*reads quote*

*clicks link*

...okay, I'm really tempted to read this. Can you recommend this at all, or is this just a good moment from a bad fic?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vateke posted:

*reads quote*

*clicks link*

...okay, I'm really tempted to read this. Can you recommend this at all, or is this just a good moment from a bad fic?

It's basically all like that. The author is very up-front about the whole fic being incredibly self-indulgent, but fortunately this sort of thing just happens to be the sort of stuff he really likes to write. There really isn't a strong through-line for the plot overall, but it's drifting in an interesting direction, and it's more about the whimsy and digressions than anything else.

Sort of the polar opposite of HPMOR in that the 'smart' guy is intensely curious and empathetic.

Overall, the fic is extremely different from what you'd expect the premise to be on a two-sentence summary.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 29, 2016

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

If you meet a house elf on the road, kill him.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Chapter 19: Delayed Gratification

This is one of the more infamous chapters for containing an extended scene of child abuse. I have no idea what the author was trying to accomplish with this scene, but I'll be leaving out that part when we get to it.

We instead start on the deep ~*political intrigue*~ of eleven year olds that HPMOR is known for.

HPMOR posted:

Draco had a stern expression on his face, and his green-trimmed robes somehow looked far more formal, serious, and well-turned-out than the same exact robes as worn by the two boys behind him.

"Talk," said Draco.

"Yeah! Talk!"

"You heard da boss! Talk!"

"You two, on the other hand, shut up."

Comedy! Laugh, drat you!

quote:

Harry was hoping that this class would be non-stressful, and that the brilliant Professor Quirrell would realize this was perhaps not the best time to single out Harry for anything. Harry had recovered a little, but...

Oh yeah, I'm sure you're beaten up. That prank you pulled in front of the whole school really shows how much this situation has been weighing on you.

Also, foreshadowing!

Draco corners Harriezer before the super edgy Battle Magic class to try to get him to say what dirt he had on Snape. Harry postures for a bit before saying anything.

quote:

"Anyway," Harry said. "Trade. I tell you a fact that isn't on the grapevine, and does not go on the grapevine, and in particular does not go to your father, and in return you tell me what you and Slytherin think about the whole business."

"Deal!"

Now to make this as vague as possible... something that wouldn't hurt much even if it did get out... "What I said was true. I did discover one of Severus's secrets, and I did do some blackmail. But Severus wasn't the only person involved."

"I knew it! " Draco said exultantly.

Draco's end of the bargin is that Slytherin came to the same conclusion, that Harry had some moderately good blackmail material on Dumbledore. The idea that it was an extremely undramatic example of 'I'm holding myself hostage!' doesn't occur to Draco, which is probably to his credit. Draco is a least smart enough to realize that Harriezer can barely be trusted to tie his own shoes.

quote:

"Harry," Draco said, "you've obviously got incredible talent, but you've got no training and no mentors and you do stupid things sometimes and you really need an advisor who knows how to do this or you're going to get hurt! " Draco's face was fierce.

"Ah," Harry said. "An advisor like Lucius?"

"Like me! " said Draco. "I'll promise to keep your secrets from Father, from everyone, I'll just help you figure out whatever you want to do! ... we should maybe hurry up and become closer friends."

"I'm open to that," said Harry, who was already trying to figure out how to exploit it.

Remember everybody, telling people that you want to be their friends so that you can manipulate them is the height of subterfuge. And Draco's first wonderful piece of political advice?

quote:

"Push your mudblood rival Granger into a wall or something, everyone in Slytherin will know what that means -"

Thank goodness Quirrell shows up or nothing would stop this brain trust from taking over the world.

Battle Magic was going to start with shielding, but instead we have a Very Special Lesson plan. Quirrell goes on about he made an Evil Overlord List as a young Slytherin, and pesters Draco a bit before turning to Harry.

quote:

Harry giggled before he could stop himself.

"Yes, Mr. Potter, very amusing. So, Mr. Potter, can you guess what was the very first item on that list?"

Great. "Um... never use a complicated way of dealing with an enemy when you can just Abracadabra them?"

"The term, Mr. Potter, is Avada Kedavra," Professor Quirrell's voice sounded a bit sharp for some reason, "and no, that was not on the list I made at age thirteen. Would you care to guess again?"

"Ah... never brag to anyone about your evil master plan?"

Professor Quirrell laughed. "Ah, now that was number two. My, Mr. Potter, have we been reading the same books?"

There was more laughter, with an undertone of nervousness. Harry clenched his jaw tightly shut and said nothing. A denial would accomplish nothing.

"But no. The first item was, 'I will not go around provoking strong, vicious enemies.' The history of the world would be very different if Mornelithe Falconsbane or Hitler had grasped that elementary point. Now if, Mr. Potter - just if by some chance you harbor an ambition similar to the one I held as a young Slytherin - even so, I hope it is not your ambition to become a stupid Dark Lord."

"Professor Quirrell," Harry said, gritting his teeth, "I am a Ravenclaw and it is not my ambition to be stupid, period. I know that what I did today was dumb. But it wasn't Dark! I was not the one who threw the first punch in that fight!"

"You, Mr. Potter, are an idiot. But then so was I at your age. Thus I anticipated your answer and altered today's lesson plan accordingly. Mr. Gregory Goyle, if you would come forward, please?"

I'm not sure the point about Hitler would work in either continuity. In our world Hitler got in the most trouble fighting Russia, and fighting Russia was most of the point of his rise to power. In the HPMOR continuity I'm fairly sure Hitler was a puppet of Grindelwald who was using the Holocaust to fuel his own power.

In any case, this lesson for every first year student in Hogwarts has now been hijacked in order to teach HP a lesson. Instead of reciting the abuse, I'll settle for listing the ways this is similar to cult behavior. Quirrell has isolated Harriezer and held up him for public scrutiny as an example, a cult staple. We take a brief pause as Goyle and Quirrell have a kung fu fight, in which Quirrell takes a dive and begs for mercy. There was apparently a point to this.

quote:

"The vitally important technique which I demonstrated," said Professor Quirrell, "was how to lose. You may go, Mr. Goyle, thank you."

Mr. Goyle walked off the platform, looking rather bewildered. Harry felt the same way.

Professor Quirrell walked back to his desk and resumed leaning on it. "Sometimes we forget the most basic things, since it has been too long since we learned them. I realized I had done the same with my own lesson plan. You do not teach students to throw until you have taught them to fall. And I must not teach you to fight if you do not understand how to lose."

Now I know this is Hogwarts where students routinely get sent to the nurse for pranks gone wrong, but I'm pretty sure you don't have to actively teach children not to kill each other. Or, if you do, the rest of your coursework is questionable. This leads us to cult point number two, making your cult members afraid that any one of them could turn and hurt the others, and therefore everyone has to surrender power to the leadership for their own safety.

Quirrell spins a tale of how he trained in the mystic ways of kung fu in the far east.

quote:

"I learned how to lose in a dojo in Asia, which, as any Muggle knows, is where all the good martial artists live."

More of the Big Yud signature racial sensitivity. One day he got angry and took a swing in anger at a sparring partner. The head of the dojo told him to stand still and let all the other students take swings at him while he begged for mercy. FORESHADOWING. He says he took the lesson to heart, but by total coincidence Voldemort rolls up six months later to torture and kill everyone there. This leads us to our somewhat true lesson for the chapter.

quote:

"Understand that the Dark Lord did not win that day. His goal was to learn martial arts, and yet he left without a single lesson. The Dark Lord was foolish to wish that story retold. It did not show his strength, but rather an exploitable weakness."

Anger is a weapon that turns on the wielder, kids. Unless of course you're smart enough that none can hold you accountable, then you're free to indulge.

quote:

"What you demonstrated today, Mr. Potter, is that - unlike those animals who keep their claws sheathed and accept the results - you do not know how to lose a dominance contest. When a Hogwarts professor challenged you, you did not back down. When it looked like you might lose, you unsheathed your claws, heedless of the danger. You escalated, and then you escalated again. It started with a slap at you from Professor Snape, who was obviously dominant over you. Instead of losing, you slapped back and lost ten points from Ravenclaw. Soon you were talking about leaving Hogwarts. The fact that you escalated even further in some unknown direction, and somehow won at the end, does not change the fact that you are an idiot."

And other one for Quirrell. Harry had some valid points, but lacked any kind of wisdom for when and how he should have made that confrontation. When an authority figure has you dead to rights, you bow your head and wait for a safer time to respond. The ritual 'surrender' in this case was supposed to be Harriezer's public apology, but he quite obviously hosed that up and showed he had no awareness of these social conventions. This is certainly a lesson Harriezer needs to learn, but what actually happens is just about the worst possible venue and method.

Quirrell starts dropping heavy hints that Harry is now due for a public beatdown. The boy once again tries to evade the consequences of his bad decisions by delaying or stopping things before they happen, but this time I'm on his side. Quirrell browbeats him into accepting by playing on Harriezer's paranoia about his Evil Within. The professor then calls for volunteers from the audience.

quote:

"{D}o any of you wish to show your dominance over the Boy-Who-Lived? Shove him around, push him to the ground, hear him beg for your mercy?"

Five hands went up.

"Everyone with your hand raised, you are an absolute idiot. What part of pretending to lose did you not understand? If Harry Potter does become the next Dark Lord he will hunt you down and kill you after he graduates."

We're on to another cult facet here. Cult leaders rarely punish followers with their own hands; this risks the lower ranks having common cause to rally against their superiors. Instead, leaders get members of the lower ranks to dole out punishments. This keeps them divided by fear and guilt, while the leadership claims benevolence. Draco tries to show unity by volunteering to stand next to Harriezer, but Quirrell brushes this off.

Harry is then beaten up by a group of older students while his peers watch in enforced silence. Public corporeal punishment is another clear cult practice and I refuse to repeat even a single line of this part. Enough to say it goes on far too long.

Draco steps up after the beating to condemn the volunteers as thugs. That rings extremely hollow from the guy who suggested 'push a girl into a wall' not too long ago. We come to the denouement.

quote:

"Will you remember how you lost?"

"Yes."

"Will you be able to lose?"

"I... think so..."

"I think so too." Professor Quirrell bowed so low that his thin hair almost touched the floor. "Congratulations, Harry Potter, you win."

There was no single source, no first mover, the applause started all at once like a massive thunderclap.

:barf: Here we get to the true evil of cults. After the violence and coercion, get everyone to express positive feelings about their torment and how it was deep and meaningful.

quote:

"Your extraordinary achievement in my class deserves an extraordinary reward, Harry Potter. Please accept it with my compliments on behalf of my House, and remember from this day forward that not all Slytherins are alike. There are Slytherins, and then there are Slytherins." Professor Quirrell was smiling quite broadly as he said this. "Fifty-one points to Ravenclaw."

There was a shocked pause and then pandemonium broke out among the Ravenclaw students, howling and whistling and cheering.

(And in the same moment Harry felt something wrong about that, Professor McGonagall had been right, there should have been consequences, there should have been a cost and a price to be paid, you couldn't just put everything back the way it was like that -)

But Harry saw the elated faces in Ravenclaw and knew he couldn't possibly say no.

Even when she's not in the room, we can't forget to take a big dump on McGonagall. Undermining traditional authority and promising great rewards if you obey, welcome to the cult of Quirrellmort, praise be to Slytherin. Harry gets a break and some snacks, and the rest of the class somehow still has enough class time to learn basic shields.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 2, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

How racist does the kung fu section get, and how Orientalist is his depiction of the 'Far East'?

I'm guessing it's real bad :allears:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

So basically, Yud was spoiled rotten (literally) by his parents, and being quite satisfied with the creature he turned out to be, he now believes that is exactly the best way to treat "precocious" children.

Also, I wonder how many of Harriezer's techniques for influencing people he actually used in establishing his own little cult.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

quote:

"But no. The first item was, 'I will not go around provoking strong, vicious enemies.' The history of the world would be very different if Mornelithe Falconsbane or Hitler had grasped that elementary point. Now if, Mr. Potter - just if by some chance you harbor an ambition similar to the one I held as a young Slytherin - even so, I hope it is not your ambition to become a stupid Dark Lord."

Mornelithe Falconsbane is from a Mercedes Lackey trilogy of fantasy novels. His defining feature is he looks like a cat-man and had a daughter that he magically turned into a sexy catgirl for him to gently caress.

I wonder if Eliezer didn't read those novels either and just picked poo poo up from fanfic too.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

MorgaineDax posted:

Mornelithe Falconsbane is from a Mercedes Lackey trilogy of fantasy novels. His defining feature is he looks like a cat-man and had a daughter that he magically turned into a sexy catgirl for him to gently caress.

I wonder if Eliezer didn't read those novels either and just picked poo poo up from fanfic too.
Are you suggesting Eliezer wouldn't read novels where someone turns their daughter into a sexy catgirl and fucks them?

well ok he probably went straight to the fanfic for efficiency.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

stone cold posted:

How racist does the kung fu section get, and how Orientalist is his depiction of the 'Far East'?

I'm guessing it's real bad :allears:

I'm the one who added 'kung fu'. His reference is "I learned how to lose in a dojo in Asia, which, as any Muggle knows, is where all the good martial artists live."

The word 'dojo' does originate from China, but only seems to mean 'martial arts training facility' in Japan. I actually mentally edited out the second half of that sentence or else I should have included it on the first pass.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 29, 2016

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Tunicate posted:

What especially annoys me about people picking holes in HP, especially the early ones, is that they're specifically meant to be children's books - they weave a world full of whimsy and wonder, and one of the tradeoffs for that is that they don't 100% work from a sit-down-and-think-it-through-logically point of view. Poking holes in the inconsistencies makes about as much sense as asking how Dora the Explorer pays her taxes, or if Oscar the Grouch has a toilet in his bin, or why the chairs on the Starship Enterprise don't have seatbelts. It simply doesn't need to hold up to that level of detail, so attacking it based on such "mistakes" is just cheap.

quote:

My god. I've just read the first few paragraphs of that, and it's like diving headfirst into Matt Smith's brain.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Added Space posted:

I'm the one who added 'kung fu'. His reference is "I learned how to lose in a dojo in Asia, which, as any Muggle knows, is where all the good martial artists live."

The word 'dojo' does originate from China, but only seems to mean 'martial arts training facility' in Japan. I actually mentally edited out the second half of that sentence or else I should have included it on the first pass.

Grim. And I suppose big yud only knows of East Asian martial arts when he refers to Asia too.

Also, hate to nitpick but the more correct Chinese equivalent would be "武館" whereas dojo in Chinese has more of a religious (Daoist) connotation.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Chapter 20: Bayes's Theorem

This chapter consists almost entirely of 'clever' dialogue between Quirrellmort and Harriezer. Given that Yud seems to have religious reverence for Bayes, I can only assume that this sort of somewhat intelligent wordplay is a favorite topic in his writing. Harry is still on break after last chapter and seems to still be on an emotional high.

quote:

Funny how Harry's brain just seemed to keep on running and running, never shutting down no matter how tired it got. It got stupider but it refused to switch off.

But there was, there really and truly was a feeling of triumph.

Anti-Dark-Lord-Harry program, +1 point didn't begin to cover it. Harry wondered what the Sorting Hat would say now, if he could put it on his head.

No wonder Professor Quirrell had accused Harry of heading down the path of a Dark Lord. Harry had been too slow on the uptake, he should have seen the parallel right away -

Understand that the Dark Lord did not win that day. His goal was to learn martial arts, and yet he left without a single lesson.

Harry had entered the Potions class with the intent to learn Potions. He'd left without a single lesson.

And Professor Quirrell had heard, and understood with frightening precision, and reached out and yanked Harry off that path, the path that led to his becoming a copy of You-Know-Who.

There was a knock at the door. "Classes are over," said Professor Quirrell's quiet voice.

I'm going to be charitable and say that this is a good example of actual manipulation in practice. Quirrell is toying with Harry's emotions to earn his trust, and we'll see that manipulation pay huge dividends in later chapters. You can say from a reader's perspective that this is incredibly obvious and evil, but intelligent people in the real world do fall for these kind of techniques with depressing frequency.

In relation to Bayes, you could say that Harry lacked the correct priors to evaluate Quirrell's story. If you knew that he was also Voldemort the pattern of vengeance and knowledge hoarding would be clear.

Harry is looking for validation that he is not evil, which Quirrell does not want to provide. Being happy and forgiving his tormentors after enduring a beating is too abnormal to be anything but an act, Quirrell claims. He approves of Harry wanting to win approval and gain power, but he should at least be honest with himself. Harryiezer has a different explanation.

quote:

"Actually, I think I know what's confusing you here," Harry said. "That was what I wanted to talk to you about, in fact. Professor Quirrell, I think that what you're seeing is my mysterious dark side."

There was a pause.

"Your... dark side..."

Harry sat up. Professor Quirrell was regarding him with one of the strangest expressions Harry had seen on anyone's face, let alone anyone as dignified as Professor Quirrell.

"It happens when I get angry," Harry explained. "My blood runs cold, everything gets cold, everything seems perfectly clear..."

Quirrellmort is only slightly surprised to have a student tell him of their barely restrained schizophrenia and resolves that the best solution is to train these murderous impulses. Obviously, Harry is really a Slytherin who secretly wants to a dark lord. The hat's prank must have been Dumbledore interfering. Here, it's Quirrell's turn to be missing information and come to a wrong conclusion.

quote:

"The Sorting Hat did seem to think I was going to end up as a Dark Lord unless I went to Hufflepuff," Harry said. "But I don't want to be one."

"Mr. Potter..." said Professor Quirrell. "Don't take this the wrong way. I promise you will not be graded on the answer. I only want to know your own, honest reply. Why not?"

Harry had that helpless feeling again. Thou shalt not become a Dark Lord was such an obvious theorem in his moral system that it was hard to describe the actual proof steps. "Um, people would get hurt?"

"Surely you've wanted to hurt people," said Professor Quirrell. "You wanted to hurt those bullies today. Being a Dark Lord means that people you want to hurt get hurt."

Harry floundered for words and then decided to simply go with the obvious. "First of all, just because I want to hurt someone doesn't mean it's right -"

"What makes something right, if not your wanting it?"

That's a fairly decent replacement for the "There is only power, and those too weak to seek it" line. Quirrellmort thinks Harriezer is operating on a naive, authoritarian morality. Harriezer accuses the professor of naked egocentrism while taking a dig at Ayn Rand. Harry holds up both sets of his parents as good people who would be betrayed if he turned to evil.

quote:

"In any case, Mr. Potter, you have not answered my original question," said Professor Quirrell finally. "What is your ambition?"

"Oh," said Harry. "Um.." He organized his thoughts. "To understand everything important there is to know about the universe, apply that knowledge to become omnipotent, and use that power to rewrite reality because I have some objections to the way it works now."

There was a slight pause.

"Forgive me if this is a stupid question, Mr. Potter," said Professor Quirrell, "but are you sure you did not just confess to wanting to be a Dark Lord?"

"That's only if you use your power for evil," explained Harry. "If you use the power for good, you're a Light Lord."

"I see," Professor Quirrell said. He tapped his other cheek with a finger. "I suppose I can work with that. But Mr. Potter, while the scope of your ambition is worthy of Salazar himself, how exactly do you propose to go about it? Is step one to become a great fighting wizard, or Head Unspeakable, or Minister of Magic, or -"

"Step one is to become a scientist."

In the course of one conversation Harry has openly announced he has an evil side he can't control and a god complex. He doesn't even have the excuse of being a teenager. This is a massively mentally unstable child. Hey Harriezer, what are the priors on people who openly announce they want to obtain ultimate power? I'm guessing they are not very favorable. This only underlines the lead's self-serving hypocrisy.

Quirrell hates scientists for creating the means of mass destruction and then telling other people. Dangerous knowledge should be kept secret.

quote:

"Yes, nuclear weapons!" Professor Quirrell was almost shouting now. "Even He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named never used those, perhaps because he didn't want to rule over a heap of ash! They never should have been made! And it will only get worse with time!" Professor Quirrell was standing up straight instead of leaning on his desk. "There are gates you do not open, there are seals you do not breach! The fools who can't resist meddling are killed by the lesser perils early on, and the survivors all know that there are secrets you do not share with anyone who lacks the intelligence and the discipline to discover them for themselves! Every powerful wizard knows that! Even the most terrible Dark Wizards know that! And those idiot Muggles can't seem to figure it out! The eager little fools who discovered the secret of nuclear weapons didn't keep it to themselves, they told their fool politicians and now we must live under the constant threat of annihilation!"

This was a rather different way of looking at things than Harry had grown up with. It had never occurred to him that nuclear physicists should have formed a conspiracy of silence to keep the secret of nuclear weapons from anyone not smart enough to be a nuclear physicist. The thought was intriguing, if nothing else. Would they have had secret passwords? Would they have had masks?

(Actually, for all Harry knew, there were all sorts of incredibly destructive secrets which physicists kept to themselves, and the secret of nuclear weapons was the only one that had escaped into the wild. The world would look the same to him either way.)

"I'll have to think about that," Harry said to Professor Quirrell. "It's a new idea to me."

This represents a critical misunderstanding of how the scientific process operates. The time of individuals making significant new discoveries on their own has been over for centuries. This 'secret club' mentality would bring the discovery rate of those who followed it to a grinding halt, which would quickly make them irrelevant.

This is also the central theme of this entire work. Hand over agency to people who know more than you because they can make better decisions than you can. Dumb sheeple who raise their voices are only wasting the time of the philosopher-kings and endangering themselves. The only difference between Harriezer and Quirrellmort is that Harry is collectivist and Voldemort is individualist. Since they're meant to be foils of each other, this means the central conflict can be phrased as the question 'Should I care about the stupid, annoying meat sacks around me?' Harry's uplifting response can be paraphrased as "Yes, because amid all this dross there's a few flakes of gold and that's what really matters."

This sort of conflict has been present in many great works of literature, including Harry Potter. Although not openly addressed, the question of why Harry is standing up for such a corrupt society looms large over Deathly Hallows. However, the answer is certainly not the paternalistic, misanthropic bilge that HPMOR advocates.

Quirrell does calm down a bit and announces that he approves of space travel so that wizards can get away from the rest of humanity. This is the plot of the harem/fighting anime Negima. I'm not sure if this is a reference, or just coincidence since that story also borrows from Harry Potter. He even has a space-viewing spell he likes to cast.

quote:

Harry stood on a small circle of white marble in the midst of an endless field of stars, burning terribly bright and unwavering. There was no Earth, no Moon, no Sun that Harry recognized. Professor Quirrell stood in the same place as before, floating in the midst of the starfield. The Milky Way was already visible as a great wash of light and it grew brighter as Harry's vision adjusted to the darkness.

The sight wrenched at Harry's heart like nothing he had ever seen.

"Are we... in space...?"

"No," said Professor Quirrell. His voice was sad, and reverent. "But it is a true image."

Tears came into Harry's eyes. He wiped them away frantically, he would not miss this for some stupid water blurring his vision.

The stars were no longer tiny jewels set in a giant velvet dome, as they were in the night sky of Earth. Here there was no sky above, no surrounding sphere. Only points of perfect light against perfect blackness, an infinite and empty void with countless tiny holes through which shone the brilliance from some unimaginable realm beyond.

In space, the stars looked terribly, terribly, terribly far away.

Harry kept on wiping his eyes, over and over.

"Sometimes," Professor Quirrell said in a voice so quiet it almost wasn't there, "when this flawed world seems unusually hateful, I wonder whether there might be some other place, far away, where I should have been. I cannot seem to imagine what that place might be, and if I can't even imagine it then how can I believe it exists? And yet the universe is so very, very wide, and perhaps it might exist anyway? But the stars are so very, very far away. It would take a long, long time to get there, even if I knew the way. And I wonder what I would dream about, if I slept for a long, long time..."

Though it felt like sacrilege, Harry managed a whisper. "Please let me stay here awhile."

Professor Quirrell nodded, where he stood unsupported against the stars.

It was easy to forget the small circle of marble on which you stood, and your own body, and become a point of awareness which might have been still, or might have been moving. With all distances incalculable there was no way to tell.

There was a time of no time.

I know people have all sorts of weird religious experiences, which can include looking up at the night sky, but this degree of reverence seems odd. I'm struck with an image of Harriezer at a young age nearly passing out at a planetarium on a school field trip and then biting his teacher when told it was time to leave. Then again, maybe it's fitting that Harry's greatest moment of joy is being isolated far away from people he doesn't respect (nearly everyone). The thought of this prick trapped in deep space brings me a little joy too.

This is interrupted when Dumbledore busts in demanding to know why a professor organized a public beating of a minor. Harry and Quirrell are quick to defend the act since it all worked out. This is evidenced by Harry being able to hold his tongue after a stern warning to be respectful. Wonders never cease.

quote:

Professor Quirrell nodded. "He wasn't expecting (51 house points), but it seemed appropriate. Tell Professor McGonagall that I think the story of what Mr. Potter went through to earn back the lost points will do just as well to make her point. No, Headmaster, Mr. Potter didn't tell me anything. It's easy to see which part of today's events are her work,"

God drat, do you really need to insult McGonagall again? Can anyone tell me why the author has a vendetta against this character? She's been nothing but reasonable.

Dumbledore does a quick bit of mind reading to double check that Harriezer hasn't been whammied, and Quirrellmort takes the opportunity to call this out as a dick move.

quote:

"You have now made it more difficult to confirm his mental privacy on future occasions," Dumbledore said. He favored Professor Quirrell with a cold look. "Was that your intention, I wonder?"

Professor Quirrell's expression was implacable. "There are too many Legilimens in this school. I insist that Mr. Potter receive instruction in Occlumency. Will you permit me to be his tutor?"

"Absolutely not," Dumbledore said at once.

"I did not think so. Then since you have deprived him of my free services, you will pay for Mr. Potter's tutoring by a licensed Occlumency instructor."

"Such services do not come cheaply," Dumbledore said, looking at Professor Quirrell in some surprise. "Although I do have certain connections -"

Professor Quirrell shook his head firmly. "No. Mr. Potter will ask his account manager at Gringotts to recommend a neutral instructor. With respect, Headmaster Dumbledore, after the events of this morning I must protest you or your friends having access to Mr. Potter's mind. I must also insist that the instructor have taken an Unbreakable Vow to reveal nothing, and that he agree to be Obliviated of each session immediately afterward."

Dumbledore was frowning. "Such services are extremely expensive, as you well know, and I cannot help but wonder why you deem them necessary."

"If it's money that's the problem," Harry spoke up, "I have some ideas for making large amounts of money quickly -"

"Thank you Quirinus, your wisdom is now quite evident and I am sorry for disputing it. Your concern for Harry Potter does you credit, as well."

Continuity!

"The events of this morning" were Harry getting into a fight with Snape and being called to the Headmaster's office. I don't know how that creates a need for Harry to be able to keep secrets. Harriezer's stupid and unworkable plans to overthrow wizarding society are a slightly better justification, but not by much. I'm not even sure why Quirrelmort wants this since he eventually wants Harriezer dead. I suppose he wants to milk any discoveries Harriezer makes this year without Dumbledore getting them as well, but this only makes it harder for him to get that information. This entire plot development makes no sense.

Perhaps it's only a gambit to earn more trust since Harriezer announces Quirrell as his mentor. Dumbledore mentions the Defense position curse, but that is quickly waved off. Dumbledore leaves and they go back to discussing space.

quote:

"I subscribe to a Muggle bulletin which keeps me informed of progress on space travel. I didn't hear about Pioneer 10 until they reported its launch. But when I discovered that Pioneer 11 would also be leaving the Solar System forever," Professor Quirrell said, his grin the widest that Harry had yet seen from him, "I snuck into NASA, I did, and I cast a lovely little spell on that lovely golden plaque which will make it last a lot longer than it otherwise would."

Estimates say that Pioneer's golden plaque and Voyager's golden record will last between one million and one billion years. How the hell would you determine that magic would increase that number? This is a great opportunity to expand on the 'scientific investigation of magic' promise of the story, but this gets completely ignored. Harry is far too starstruck to question this and rains compliments on Quirrell.

quote:

A further thought occurred to Harry. "You didn't add any extra information to the plaque, did you?"

"Extra information?" said Professor Quirrell, sounding as if the idea had never occurred to him before and he was quite intrigued.

Which made Harry rather suspicious, considering that it'd taken less than a minute for Harry to think of it.

"Maybe you included a holographic message like in Star Wars? " said Harry. "Or... hm. A portrait seems to store a whole human brain's worth of information... you couldn't have added any extra mass to the probe, but maybe you could've turned an existing part into a portrait of yourself? Or you found a volunteer dying of a terminal illness, snuck them into NASA, and cast a spell to make sure their ghost ended up in the plaque -"

"Mr. Potter," Professor Quirrell said, his voice suddenly sharp, "a spell requiring a human death would certainly be classified by the Ministry as Dark Arts, regardless of circumstances. Students should not be heard talking about such things."

And the amazing thing about the way Professor Quirrell said it was how perfectly it maintained plausible deniability.

I'm totally not a murderer, kid. :ninja:

This highlights a major problem with the writing. The author has slipped him a note about what a Horcrux is, so Harriezer comes up with the idea out of the pure blue sky. He eventually finds out about the nature of Horcruxes. As an exercise, try to guess how long it takes him to demonstrate intelligence by combining this insight with that information and realize that Quirrellmort is a psychopathic killer.

Harry drops a few more compliments and then leaves, ending the chapter.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 2, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

I'm guessing Big Yud is a big ol' sexist. :shrug:

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Added Space posted:

I don't know how that creates a need for Harry to be able to keep secrets. Harriezer's stupid and unworkable plans to overthrow wizarding society are a slightly better justification, but not by much. I'm not even sure why Quirrelmort wants this since he eventually wants Harriezer dead. I suppose he wants to milk any discoveries Harriezer makes this year without Dumbledore getting them as well, but this only makes it harder for him to get that information. This entire plot development makes no sense.

Perhaps it's only a gambit to earn more trust since Harriezer announces Quirrell as his mentor.

Nah, actually this bit does make sense if you do read it the way the rest of the text around it intends. Read it instead as:

quote:

"There are gates you do not open, there are seals you do not breach! The fools who can't resist meddling are killed by the lesser perils early on, and the survivors all know that there are secrets you do not share with anyone who lacks the intelligence and the discipline to discover them for themselves! Every powerful wizard knows that! Even the most terrible Dark Wizards know that! And those idiot Muggles can't seem to figure it out! The eager little fools who discovered the secret of nuclear weapons didn't keep it to themselves, they told their fool politicians and now we must live under the constant threat of annihilation!"

[...]

Dumbledore was frowning. "Such services are extremely expensive, as you well know, and I cannot help but wonder why you deem them necessary."

"If it's money that's the problem," Harry spoke up, "I have some ideas for making large amounts of money quickly -"

"Thank you Quirinus, your wisdom is now quite evident and I am sorry for disputing it.

It's meant to be the cliche of "you want what, but that's insane! <second character does thing that makes it obvious why thing is preferred> ..ah." but it falls flat because the two bits are too far apart to make a proper gag, and the second bit isn't telegraphed enough.

e: also your skipping of random bits of text make it really hard to follow the text, as someone who's sadly read it before but luckily long enough ago that he's forgotten the majority of it.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Red Mike posted:

It's meant to be the cliche of "you want what, but that's insane! <second character does thing that makes it obvious why thing is preferred> ..ah." but it falls flat because the two bits are too far apart to make a proper gag, and the second bit isn't telegraphed enough.

e: also your skipping of random bits of text make it really hard to follow the text, as someone who's sadly read it before but luckily long enough ago that he's forgotten the majority of it.

I get the part about forbidden knowledge, but why does Quirrell care? He has to know Harry's plans are unworkable, if for no other reason than he's already exploited them to the maximum feasible extent.

I'm summarizing blocks of text in order to avoid the whole line-by-line quagmire that drove off the OP.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
The great thing about Bayes and the Bayesian Conspiracy in HPMOR is that at no point does he explain what the gently caress it is, even slightly. But then, "Bayesian" in practice seems to mean "agrees with the MIRI line on things and AI is a vastly better charity than mosquito nets."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

stone cold posted:

I'm guessing Big Yud is a big ol' sexist. :shrug:
Was it the constant disrespect of female characters that tipped you off, or the casual rape mentions?

I'd ask how he ~logically~ justifies that, but he'd probably just pull some :biotruths: bullshit out of his rear end.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

divabot posted:

The great thing about Bayes and the Bayesian Conspiracy in HPMOR is that at no point does he explain what the gently caress it is, even slightly. But then, "Bayesian" in practice seems to mean "agrees with the MIRI line on things and AI is a vastly better charity than mosquito nets."

Isn't it that there's some knowledge that can't be shared because it's
~too dangerous~
And I think that's about the long and the short of his conspiracy.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

oh nice, there's a thread for this.

I listened to the audio version of a bunch of this when I had a night shift job after I discovered listening to things that were cringey or enraging made the time go faster.

Have we got to the bit where harry becomes Chaos general of some kind of inter-house war and wins battles through being lolrandom? Its the cringiest thing ever.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hogwarts Battle School does that bit so much better it's insulting. I wish the author would update more/at all though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

nopantsjack posted:

Have we got to the bit where harry becomes Chaos general of some kind of inter-house war and wins battles through being lolrandom? Its the cringiest thing ever.
No.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I am willing to defend parts of this story (death of the author!) but even I cannot loving stand the war games.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
There's an audio version? Is it done by someone good because I'm imaging Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons doing it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Vateke posted:

*reads quote*

*clicks link*

Wow, the linked fic really is negaverse MOR. You need a decent stomach for twee, but it's a really charming read, where the smart, eccentric protagonist wants nothing more than to have fun with the world he's found himself in and bring the best out of the people around him so they can have nice, fun lives too.

Certainly haven't read many Harry Potter stories with that level of empathy for Argus Filch, for a start.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

MorgaineDax posted:

There's an audio version? Is it done by someone good because I'm imaging Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons doing it.

When a fic becomes popular enough, or is well written enough to warrant it, there are fans who do audio recordings of reading the fic. These are called 'podfic' and have their own tag on A3O: http://archiveofourown.org/works/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&work_search%5Bquery%5D=podfic I have no idea the quality of them. Probably varying due to mike quality, voice acting and whether they're pleasant to listen to, and so forth.

I'm not surprised someone would make a podfic of this fic considering the size of both communities. The one making the recording would also gain some personal fame/attention for assisting the fic author so there's appeal in making podfics. There's also bonus hilarity when someone makes podfics of blatantly racist or phobic fanfics. Like how do you read these things aloud and not realize how goddamn racist some stories are? But that's a bone to chew on some other time. It would be funny if someone recorded MoR out loud and slowly came to the realization of how douche this version of harry potter is.

I remember in the marvel fandom on tumblr there was one young woman who had taken a podfic on the train and didn't plug their headphones into their phone all the way so the speakers half broadcast it while still channeling it through the headphones. It was a NSFW podfic so by the time the erotica started someone had to tap them on the shoulder and let them know everyone else on the train [bus?] could hear her gay erotica. I think it was bucky barnes / steve rogers but could have been thor / loki.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

:allbuttons:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Oh my bad. I miscalled it as it was about three or four years ago. Well I assure you, podfics are a thing and people make recordings of poo poo they like. At least I was wrong about it being incest!

quote:

thorgasmed:

so a really horrific thing happened to me today

u know how iphones have that function where u can select text and itll have siri read it back to you. so i get motion sickness when im on the bus so i cant read when im on one, so sometimes ill select a bunch of text from a fic and just listen. instant audio book! i thought i was so clever. so i’m in this really gnarly stevebucky fic, the smut’s just getting good, i’m smirking all smug and poo poo cus im liek hell yeah hell yeah and i turn the volume up all the way but it wasn’t getting as loud as usual so i was like huh my headphones are probably busted but whatever

then the person beside me taps me on the shoulder and lets me know that my headphones werent plugged all the way in

everyone sitting around me on that bus had to listen to my phone blasting about steve’s pounding bucky’s rear end in a top hat

i’m never leaving my house again

the end

http://emilianadarling.tumblr.com/post/85009828751/consultingmoosecaptain-sofarfromshameless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Chapter 21: Rationalization

This chapter is intended as a wrap up of the first twenty chapters and the first week at Hogwarts. As with the rest of the fic this goes on for far too long. We start with Hermoine, who we really haven't seen for a while.

HPMOR posted:

Hermione Granger had worried she was turning Bad.

The difference between Good and Bad was usually easy to grasp, she'd never understood why other people had so much trouble. At Hogwarts, "Good" was Professor Flitwick and Professor McGonagall and Professor Sprout. "Bad" was Professor Snape and Professor Quirrell and Draco Malfoy. Harry Potter... was one of those unusual cases where you couldn't tell just by looking. She was still trying to figure out where he belonged.

But when it came to herself...

Hermione was having too much fun crushing Harry Potter.

She'd done better than him in every single class they'd taken. (Except for broomstick riding which was like gym class, it didn't count.) She'd gotten real House points almost every day of their first week, not for weird heroic things, but smart things like learning spells quickly and helping other students. She knew those kinds of House points were better, and the best part was, Harry Potter knew it too. She could see it in his eyes every time she won another real House point.

If you were Good, you weren't supposed to enjoy winning this much.

It had started on the day of the train ride, though it had taken a while for the whirlwind to sink in. It wasn't until later that night that Hermione had begun to realize just how much she'd let that boy walk all over her.

Before she'd met Harry Potter she hadn't had anyone she'd wanted to crush. If someone wasn't doing as well as her in class, it was her job to help them, not rub it in. That was what it meant to be Good.

And now...

...now she was winning, Harry Potter was flinching every time she got another House point, and it was so much fun, her parents had warned her against drugs and she suspected this was more fun than that.

... OK, this isn't TOO bad. Her moral philosophy really isn't any less sophisticated then Harriezer; he just uses a lot more psychobabble. She's smart, competitive, straightlaced, and she's got moral awareness. Her thoughts are a bit simplistic, but she's eleven. I'm approving of this Hermione and her entirely correct desire to show up that jerk.

She marinates a bit more before coming to a conclusion.

quote:

She and Harry were getting into a Romance! Of course! Everyone knew what it meant when a boy and a girl started fighting all the time. They were courting one another! There was nothing Bad about that.

Danger! DANGER!

In case you've forgotten, Harry and Hermoine made a bet on the Hogwarts Express that Harry could read more books in a week, and that bet is coming due.

quote:

Ten seconds left, and he still hadn't raised his hand.

Five seconds left.

2:47pm.

Harry Potter carefully placed a bookmark into his book, closed it, and laid it aside.

"I would like to note for the benefit of posterity," said the Boy-Who-Lived in a clear voice, "that I had only half a book left, and that I ran into a number of unexpected delays -"

"You lost! " shrieked Hermione. "You did! You lost our contest! "

There was a collective exhalation as everyone started breathing again.

Harry Potter shot her a Look of Flaming Fire, but she was floating in a halo of pure white happiness and nothing could touch her.

"Do you realize what kind of week I've had? " said Harry Potter. "Any lesser being would have been hard-pressed to read eight Dr. Seuss books!"

"You set the time limit."

Harry's Look of Flaming Fire grew even hotter. "I did not have any logical way of knowing I'd have to save the entire school from Professor Snape, or get beaten up in Defense class, and if I told you how I lost all the time between 5pm and dinner on Thursday you would think I was insane -"

"Awww, it sounds like someone fell prey to the planning fallacy."

Raw shock showed on Harry Potter's face.

"Oh that reminds me, I finished reading the first batch of books you lent me," Hermione said with her best innocent look. A couple of them had been hard books, too. She wondered how long it had taken him to finish reading them.

You go Hermione! Teach that little poo poo a lesson! Harry even thinks about how he used his Time Turner to cheat and he still lost, thus proving that he has listened to no-one else this whole time.

quote:

"Someday," said the Boy-Who-Lived, "when the distant descendants of Homo sapiens are looking back over the history of the galaxy and wondering how it all went so wrong, they will conclude that the original mistake was when someone taught Hermione Granger how to read."

:cripes: :barf: :cripes: The happy trail of misogyny just keeps rollin' along. No wonder JWKS was forced to stop, this poo poo just keeps getting worse.

The rest of the Ravenclaw girls team up to demand a forfeit for losing the bet. Scene change to the dungeons three hours later, where Harry is meeting up with Draco.

quote:

"I want you to know, Draco Malfoy," said the silhouette in tones of deadly calm, "that I do not blame you for my recent defeat."

Draco opened his mouth in unthinking protest, there was no possible reason why he should be blamed -

"It was due, more than anything else, to my own stupidity," continued that shadowy figure. "There were many other things I could have done, at any step along the way. You did not ask me to do exactly what I did. You only asked for help. I was the one who unwisely chose that particular method. But the fact remains that I lost the contest by half a book. The actions of your pet idiot, and the favor you asked for, and, yes, my own foolishness in going about it, caused me to lose time. More time than you know. Time which, in the end, proved critical. The fact remains, Draco Malfoy, that if you had not asked that favor, I would have won. And not... instead... lost."

Draco had already heard about Harry's loss, and the forfeit Granger had claimed from him. The news had spread faster than owls could have carried it.

"I understand," Draco said. "I'm sorry." There was nothing else he could say if he wanted Harry Potter to be friends with him.

"I am not asking for understanding or sorrow," said the dark silhouette, still with that deadly calm. "But I have just spent two full hours in the presence of Hermione Granger, dressed in such clothing as was provided me, visiting such fascinating places in Hogwarts as a tiny burbling waterfall of what looked to me like snot, accompanied by a number of other girls who insisted on such helpful activities as strewing our path with Transfigured rose petals. I have been on a date, scion of Malfoy. My first date. And when I call that favor due, you will pay it."

Draco nodded solemnly. Before arriving he had taken the wise precaution of learning every available detail of Harry's date, so that he could get all of his hysterical laughing done before their appointed meeting time, and would not commit a faux pas by giggling continuously until he lost consciousness.

Some credit, Yud can sneak in foreshadowing in nonobvious ways. "The news had spread faster than owls could have carried it" is literally true, and it will become a plot point later. It's nicely buried in the humor here so you don't think about it too much.

quote:

"Spread the word in Slytherin that the Granger girl is mine and anyone who meddles in my affairs will have their remains scattered over an area wide enough to include twelve different spoken languages. And since I am not in Gryffindor and I use cunning rather than immediate frontal attacks, they should not panic if I am seen smiling at her."

"Or if you're seen on a second date?" Draco said, allowing just a tiny note of skepticism into his voice.

"There will be no second date," said the green-lit silhouette in a voice so fearsome that it sounded, not only like a Death Eater, but like Amycus Carrow that one time just before Father told him to stop it, he wasn't the Dark Lord.

Of course it was still a young boy's high unbroken voice and when you combined that with the actual words, well, it just didn't work. If Harry Potter did become the next Dark Lord someday, Draco would use a Pensieve to store a copy of this memory somewhere safe, and Harry Potter would never dare betray him.

If you can bring yourself to ignore the one little poo poo nugget about not teaching women to read (and to be fair, you're reading fanfiction, your standards are not that high) this first act of the chapter works fairly well as a light comedy and character piece. The second act is also comedy, but not quite for the same reasons.

Harriezer and Draco have decided to follow Quirrellmort's advice and start their own Secret Club of Magical Science.

quote:

"I offer you power," said the shadowy figure, "and I will tell you of that power and its price. The power comes from knowing the shape of reality and so gaining control over it. What you understand, you can command, and that is power enough to walk upon the Moon. The price of that power is that you must learn to ask questions of Nature, and far more difficult, accept Nature's answers. You will do experiments, perform tests and see what happens. And you must accept the meaning of those results when they tell you that you are mistaken. You will have to learn how to lose, not to me, but to Nature. When you find yourself arguing with reality, you will have to let reality win. You will find this painful, Draco Malfoy, and I do not know if you are strong in that way. Knowing the price, is it still your wish to learn the human power?"

Draco took a deep breath. He'd thought about this. And it was hard to see how he could answer any other way. He'd been instructed to take every avenue of friendship with Harry Potter. It was just learning, he wasn't promising to do anything. He could always stop the lessons at any time...

There were certainly any number of things about the situation which made it look like a trap, but in all honesty, Draco didn't see how this could go wrong.

Plus Draco did kind of want to rule the world.

"Yes," said Draco.

I tend to agree. One of my personal peeves is people who can't tell the difference between fact and opinion.

Harriezer starts offering study courses. The first is about psychology and I can only presume that course is the titular Methods of Rationality. On the one hand, thank loving god that we won't have to sit through them. On the other hand, that's the name of the fic and the author should have committed to the premise if that's what he really wants to talk about.

The second course is physics, which even Harriezer realizes is pointless because Draco doesn't know calculus.

The third course is genetics, and that's a winner for blood purist Draco.

quote:

The figure nodded. "I thought you might say as much. But I think it will be the most painful path for you, Draco. What if your family and friends, the blood purists, say one thing, and you find that the experimental test says another?"

"Then I'll figure out how to make the experimental test say the right answer!"

There was a pause, as the shadowy figure stood there with its mouth open for a short while.

"Um," said the shadowy figure. "It doesn't really work like that. That's what I was trying to warn you about here, Draco. You can't make the answer come out to be anything you like."

"You can always make the answer come out your way," said Draco. That had been practically the first thing his tutors had taught him. "It's just a matter of finding the right arguments."

:allears: It's not like either side is wrong. As we see from the modern climate change debate, political truths are far removed from anything as banal as data.

Draco and Harriezer have a back and forth about trusting experiments and whether Harry is going to lie, but eventually Draco caves.

quote:

"Excellent," said the figure, and smiled. "Congratulations on being willing to ask the question."

"Thanks," Draco said, not quite managing to keep the irony out of his voice.

"Hey, did you think going to the Moon was easy? Be glad this just involves changing your mind sometimes, and not a human sacrifice!"

"Human sacrifice would be way easier!"

There was a slight pause, and then the figure nodded. "Fair point."

As long as it's one of those bossy, mean girls. :chord:

Draco asks if they can just skip to what's already known, but Harriezer invokes the fear of dangerous secrets and tells Draco he has to prove himself by running some experiments on his own first. Second order of business for Secret Science Club, better costumes.

quote:

"We're going to need better robes," said the shadowy figure, "with hoods and so on -"

"I was just thinking that," said Draco. "We don't need whole new robes, though, just cowled cloaks to put on. I have a friend in Slytherin, she'll take your measurements -"

"Don't tell her what it's for, though -"

"I'm not stupid! "

"And no masks for now, not when it's just you and me -" said the shadowy figure.

"Right! But later on we should have some sort of special mark that all our servants have, the Mark of Science, like a snake eating the Moon on their right arms -"

"It's called a PhD and wouldn't that make it too easy to identify our people?"

"Huh?"

"I mean, what if someone is like 'okay, now everyone pull up their robes over their right arms' and our guy is like 'whoops, sorry, looks like I'm a spy' -"

"Forget I said anything," said Draco, sweat suddenly springing out all over his body. He needed a distraction, fast - "And what do we call ourselves? The Science Eaters?"

"No," said the shadowy figure slowly. "That doesn't sound right..."

Draco wiped his robed arm across his forehead, wiping away beads of moisture. What had the Dark Lord been thinking? Father had said the Dark Lord was smart!

"I've got it!" said the shadowy figure suddenly. "You won't understand yet, but trust me, it fits."

Right now Draco would have accepted 'Malfoy Munchers' as long as it changed the subject. "What is it?"

And standing amid the dusty desks in an unused classroom in the dungeons of Hogwarts, the green-lit silhouette of Harry Potter spread his arms dramatically and said, "This day shall mark the dawn of... the Bayesian Conspiracy."

Isn't that the name of Yud's not-a-cult? There's some serious mixed messages here. Do you want to create a science cult that keeps its findings secret, or do you want to uplift the unwashed masses through Rationality? Do you only want to do the latter until the former becomes an option? What are you trying to accomplish, Mr. Yudkowsky?

There's an interlude where Harry returns to his dorm room and finds a present.

quote:

This revealed a note, two golden Galleons, and a book titled Occlumency: The Hidden Arte.

Harry picked up the note and read:

My, you do get yourself into trouble and quickly. Your father was no match for you.

You have made a powerful enemy. Snape commands the loyalty, admiration, and fear of all House Slytherin. You cannot trust any of that House now, whether they come to you in friendly guise or fearsome.

From now on you must not meet Snape's eyes. He is a Legilimens and can read your mind if you do. I have enclosed a book which may help you learn to protect yourself, though there is only so far you can get without a tutor. Still you may hope to at least detect intrusion.

So that you may find some extra time in which to study Occlumency, I have enclosed 2 Galleons, which is the price of answer sheets and homework for the first-year History of Magic class (Professor Binns having given the same tests and same assignments every year since he died). Your newfound friends the Weasley twins should be able to sell you a copy. It goes without saying that you must not get caught with it in your possession.

Of Professor Quirrell I know little. He is a Slytherin and a Defense Professor, and that is two marks against him. Consider carefully any advice he gives you, and tell him nothing you do not wish known.

Dumbledore only pretends to be insane. He is extremely intelligent, and if you continue to step into closets and vanish, he will certainly deduce your possession of an invisibility cloak if he has not done so already. Avoid him whenever possible, hide the Cloak of Invisibility somewhere safe (NOT your pouch) any time you cannot avoid him, and step with great care in his presence.

Please be more careful in the future, Harry Potter.

- Santa Claus

I don't think it's ever fully revealed who sent this note. It might be Dumbledore, who does a lot of of seemingly random things for reasons that are explained later. It may be Peter Pettigrew, who in this fic has swapped roles with Sirius Black for no real reason.

Harry himself realizes the pointlessness of this scene and falls asleep.

The next morning in the Great Hall, Harriezer is wary of the Weasley twins approaching, but they're just giving him a cake with twelve candles for some reason.

quote:

"That's not right," said someone. "Harry Potter was born on the thirty-first of Jul-"

"HE IS COMING," said a huge hollow voice that cut through all conversation like a sword of ice. "THE ONE WHO WILL TEAR APART THE VERY -"

Dumbledore had leapt out of his throne and run straight over the Head Table and seized hold of the woman speaking those awful words, Fawkes had appeared in a flash, and all three of them vanished in a crack of fire.

There was a shocked pause...

...followed by heads turning in the direction of Harry Potter.

"I didn't do it," Harry said in a tired voice.

"That was a prophecy! " someone at the table hissed. "And I bet it's about you! "

Harry sighed.

He stood up from his seat, raised his voice, and said very loudly over the conversations that were starting up, "It's not about me! Obviously! I'm not coming here, I'm already here! "

The prophecy is totally about Harry and his stupid little club.

Harry jumps to the next conclusion, Voldemort. We the reader know he's already there too, so that's just a mystery for now.

The chapter ends with Harry considering what to write home about.

quote:

Harry stared down at the blank sheet of paper. Let's see...

After leaving his parents at the train station, he'd...

...gotten acquainted with a boy raised by Darth Vader, become friends with the three most infamous pranksters in Hogwarts, met Hermione, then there'd been the Incident with the Sorting Hat... Monday he'd been given a time machine to treat his sleep disorder, gotten a legendary invisibility cloak from an unknown benefactor, rescued seven Hufflepuffs by staring down five scary older boys one of whom had threatened to break his finger, realized that he possessed a mysterious dark side, learned to cast Frigideiro in Charms class, and gotten started on his rivalry with Hermione... Tuesday had introduced Astronomy taught by Professor Aurora Sinistra who was nice, and History of Magic taught by a ghost who ought to be exorcised and replaced with a tape recorder... Wednesday, he'd been pronounced the Most Dangerous Student in the Classroom... Thursday, let's not even think about Thursday... Friday, the Incident in Potions Class, followed by his blackmailing the Headmaster, followed by the Defense Professor having him beaten up in class, followed by the Defense Professor turning out to be the most awesome human being who still walked the face of the Earth... Saturday he'd lost a bet and gone on his first date and started redeeming Draco... and then this morning Professor Trelawney's unheard prophecy might or might not indicate that an immortal Dark Lord was about to attack Hogwarts.

Harry mentally organized his material, and started writing.

Dear Mum and Dad:

Hogwarts is lots of fun. I learned how to violate the Second Law of Thermodynamics in Charms class, and I met a girl named Hermione Granger who reads faster than I do.

I'd better leave it at that.

Your loving son,
Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres.

As usual, this writing needs to be ruthlessly cut down by a chainsaw-wielding editor, but this is certainly one of the better chapters. Comedy, childish intrigue, and a fresh mystery.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 2, 2017